New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: PSA: Dice

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

Default PSA: Dice

The singular form of "dice" is "die". The plural form of "die" is "dice", not "dices".

Correct Example: Roll a die.
    Incorrect Example: Roll a dice.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by ATHATH; 2017-04-18 at 12:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Is this a good OJEBUWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES, or a bad OJFBUEWIP WHAT IN THE NINE ABYSSES?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Jake View Post
    "Oh no, I'm bleeding out of my eyes...it's only now that I see that the delivery fee isn't a substitute for tipping your pizza guy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arguss View Post
    "No" means "yes".
    Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    My other idea was to be a troglodyte were-cockroach and just smell bad in people's squares.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: PSA: Dice

Unless, of course, you are referring to the molds used to make die-cast dice rather than dice themselves. One can indeed roll the dies, and thereby roll the dice within.

And, of course, depending on dialect dice can be singular. It shows up more often in British than American English.

Thus, it is entirely possible to roll some dies and within them some dices in order to tell your GM across the Atlantic what the dice indicate you got on your die roll.
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2017-04-18 at 01:53 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

As long as the intent of the statement is clear it doesn't matter. Anything else is pedantic.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It depends, I prefer sure as the singular and try to get people to use it, but over here (UK) dice as a singular is so common is essentially correct. I think it might actually be in one of the dictionaries. Note that this is more common with non roleplayers.

Dices is not used though, it's like sheep. I say 'I roll a die', others say 'I roll a dice', but everyone says 'I roll four dice'.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2017-04-18 at 04:57 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    It depends, I prefer sure as the singular and try to get people to use it, but over here (UK) dice as a singular is so common is essentially correct. I think it might actually be in one of the dictionaries. Note that this is more common with non roleplayers.

Dices is not used though, it's like sheep. I say 'I roll a die', others say 'I roll a dice', but everyone says 'I roll four dice'.
    "Dices" is used, but usually involves a chef knife or butcher knife. Or a katana: "It slices; it dices; it makes french fries in three different shapes." Come to think of it, though, does Leo really dual-wield katanas? Or is that some sort of wakazashi or ninja-to?
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2017-04-18 at 07:57 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Dice is also the verb form. He dices with death on the fate of his soul.

It's also a proper noun, but he's got a lifetime ban from... a lot of things.
    Why yes, Warlock is my solution for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by obryn View Post
    Active Abilities are great because you - the player - are demonstrating your Dwarvenness or Elfishness. You're not passively a dwarf, you're actively dwarfing your way through obstacles.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

And the past tense of die is dead. But... what if you made dice dies out of the dead. (bone probably - or maybe involving horse glue)

Then you could roll dead dies with dice.
    Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2017-04-18 at 09:16 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 90,000 View Post
    As long as the intent of the statement is clear it doesn't matter. Anything else is pedantic.
    Ah, you must be new around here. This forum runs on pedantry.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 90,000 View Post
    And thus languages suffer long and painful deaths.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    "Dices" is used, but usually involves a chef knife or butcher knife. Or a katana: "It slices; it dices; it makes french fries in three different shapes." Come to think of it, though, does Leo really dual-wield katanas? Or is that some sort of wakazashi or ninja-to?
    That's a conjugated form of the verb "dice", not a form of the noun "die".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Let's dice these die-cast dice until they die!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
    Ah, you must be new around here. This forum runs on pedantry.
    It's been a while since I've been on a thread of this type, so remind me. Is it two or three pages until we're allowed to realise we're all arguing for the same thing?

Also I'll have you know that most of us aren't running, I suspect most of us post sitting down
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Also I'll have you know that most of us aren't running, I suspect most of us post sitting down
    I'm sitting down, but I'm also half refrigerator, so...

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    I'm sitting down, but I'm also half refrigerator, so...
    On your mom's or dad's side? I understand the ice chest inheritance rites are matrilineal.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    And thus languages suffer long and painful deaths.
    Linguistically speaking, languages very rarely just die but very commonly turn into multiple new languages.

Also, trying to police the formation of a language and prevent it from changing has never actually worked in the entirety of human history.

Also also, because I like shattering worldviews, the Grammar rules we're taught in school are not only arbitrary (meaning there is no actual reason to use those rules as opposed to any other set) but were mostly established by a bunch of latin-speaking monks who wanted English to sound more Latin so they could feel less bad about the bible being in English. The rules were prescribed, and not descriptive of how the language is or was actually spoken. This is why many constructions seen in academia sound strange and stuffy, and why we describe some writing as "Conversational." Academic Written English and Spoken English are very different dialects.

TL;DR
    Historically speaking, any "correct" way to speak English was selected arbitrarily and trying to enforce One True Right Way upon a language has never worked on any language, ever, so it's not worth trying.

/randomrant

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    Linguistically speaking, languages very rarely just die but very commonly turn into multiple new languages.

Also, trying to police the formation of a language and prevent it from changing has never actually worked in the entirety of human history.

Also also, because I like shattering worldviews, the Grammar rules we're taught in school are not only arbitrary (meaning there is no actual reason to use those rules as opposed to any other set) but were mostly established by a bunch of latin-speaking monks who wanted English to sound more Latin so they could feel less bad about the bible being in English. The rules were prescribed, and not descriptive of how the language is or was actually spoken. This is why many constructions seen in academia sound strange and stuffy, and why we describe some writing as "Conversational." Academic Written English and Spoken English are very different dialects.

TL;DR
    Historically speaking, any "correct" way to speak English was selected arbitrarily and trying to enforce One True Right Way upon a language has never worked on any language, ever, so it's not worth trying.

/randomrant
    I refuse to accept idiots using "optics" to mean "how the public will perceive an action" or flipping "lend" and "borrow" as verbs.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

TL;DR

/randomrant
    Yet you used "proper" grammar, punctuation and spelling (at least as far as I can tell) along with traditionally accepted definitions and word uses to make your point(s).

Is that because you wanted your points to be sufficiently well articulated as to be both clear and persuasive?

I subscribe to the idea that "language lives" as well...but that doesn't mean it can be pruned as to grow stronger and not just kudzu all over my desk.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

With English as new lingua franca, further "evolution" will probably mean it will split into several new languages based on regional dialects. It is already happening.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Satinavian View Post
    With English as new lingua franca, further "evolution" will probably mean it will split into several new languages based on regional dialects. It is already happening.
    There's a lot of truth to this, but there is also a force driving the other way, a unifying force with global media, entertainment, teaching and business. It seems to me people will tend to learn two kinds of English (which may indeed turn into dialects with time, I agree): One for international or just interregional communication, and one for local identity.
    It may of course turn out a lot more messily than that.
    My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    Yet you used "proper" grammar, punctuation and spelling (at least as far as I can tell) along with traditionally accepted definitions and word uses to make your point(s).

Is that because you wanted your points to be sufficiently well articulated as to be both clear and persuasive?

I subscribe to the idea that "language lives" as well...but that doesn't mean it can be pruned as to grow stronger and not just kudzu all over my desk.

- M
    "You used grammar, therefore the grammar being arbitrary is untrue!"

I can use the arbitrarily selected grammar when I feel the audience is appropriate. How I write here is not how I speak, which is not how I text, which is not how I write Resumes, which is not how I write college essays. When I say "I'm gonna run over and get me a snack right quick" to my friends (and yes, that is an accurate example of my spoken english), I am speaking Correct English in a dialect that is not Academic English. Because there is no legitimate reason why the southern dialect of english is incorrect.

Your argument doesn't counter mine, but it does show the irony that one must occassionally follow arbitrary rules to acheove desires results.

I refuse to accept idiots using "optics" to mean "how the public will perceive an action" or flipping "lend" and "borrow" as verbs.
    Grammarists in the 1400's refused to accept the word "You" being used as the second-person singular. And as we all know, they were right in the end.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

"You used grammar, therefore the grammar being arbitrary is untrue!"

I can use the arbitrarily selected grammar when I feel the audience is appropriate. How I write here is not how I speak, which is not how I text, which is not how I write Resumes, which is not how I write college essays. When I say "I'm gonna run over and get me a snack right quick" to my friends (and yes, that is an accurate example of my spoken english), I am speaking Correct English in a dialect that is not Academic English. Because there is no legitimate reason why the southern dialect of english is incorrect.

Your argument doesn't counter mine, but it does show the irony that one must occassionally follow arbitrary rules to acheove desires results.

Grammarists in the 1400's refused to accept the word "You" being used as the second-person singular. And as we all know, they were right in the end.

This is not the 14th century. We have the printing press, an "infinite" supply of books (relative to that time period), mass public education, public libraries, the internet, etc.

There's no need to just shrug and watch language degrade. "Die" is the singular, "dice" is the plural. "Dice" for a single die is as incorrect as "mice" for a single mouse.

("Ask" and "axe" are not homophones, and neither are "cot" and "caught". And by all the spirits of every dead writer ever, THERE IS NO APOSTROPHE IN PLURALIZATION.)
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-04-18 at 12:16 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

If I was going to write English how I'd speak it there would likely be commas in strange places (I have a minor speech impediment, not a stammer but can sound like one), ever other sentence would include the word 'sorry', and sentences would just run on for too long because I wouldn't know when to stop them because I don't tend to stop sentences until I've finished my train of thought.

To be honest, I tend to write overlong, sentences even while typing. Sorry.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Linguistic prescriptivism is stupid and has never worked. Even in languages with prescriptivist "language academies". Talk the way you want to talk, and as long as people understand you, that's fine.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Linguistic prescriptivism is stupid and has never worked. Even in languages with prescriptivist "language academies". Talk the way you want to talk, and as long as people understand you, that's fine.
    There's quite a bit more to it than that, though. Here's one thing:

My D&D 5th ed. Druid Handbook

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Language is a tool for communication. The utility of that tool suffers when the language degrades.

Something as "simple" and "subtle" as the Oxford comma can change the meaning of a sentence entirely.

Spoiler: Just a tiny bit NSFW
    Show

Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-04-18 at 12:21 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I remember watching a video on prescriptivism versus descriptivism. I agree on some language areas being prescriptivist, such as academia, if clarity of language is paramount, but honestly in everyday conversion or writing on this forum I'm not going to bother strictly following grammar rules.

Spelling is different, I can work with a few misspelt words and infer from context, and can even read the 'if all the letters are there and the first and last are in the right place' things, but I recommend people try to make sure their spelling is correct (for their version of English at least) just so that it takes less brainpower to read what they're saying.

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

While linguistic drift does happen, there is no reason to support it where it hinders understanding. Otherwise, we shouldn't ever correct anybody for using whatever word they like to mean whatever they wish it to. Perhaps, like the Caterpillar, they must pay some words a little extra for overtime, but surely the fact that we can't comprehend them is our fault for being linguistic prescritivists.

Using "dice" as a singular does grate on my ear, though it's mildly forgivable because it is understandable.

Using "irregardless," however, not only grates on my ear, but (because I know the meaning of the prefix) it makes me stop and try to figure out how one thing is with regard to another, even though after I stop and think for a moment I realize the person is just speaking poorly.

It especially drives me batty when people start misusing words because they think the words sound sophisticated.

The prevalence of misused words even in modern mass media, amongst pundits and writers who make their living at it, is troubling...because they often wind up writing nonsense that I then must spend quite some time divining the real meaning of, and as it gets worse, communication suffers.

There is beauty in a well-constructed language which remembers that certain prefixes and suffixes (or, in some languages, modifying particles or tones) have specific meanings that modify root words. It enhances communication and expands vocabulary by allowing clear, concise information transmission. When we start to say that "it's just linguistic drift; get over it" because people who are less educated don't know the meanings of the words (or constructions) they're misusing, we excuse bad communication and make it harder to construct new, meaningful expressions, because we do things like make antonyms into synonyms (except when we mean the opposite).

Context might be powerful, but rely too much on it to untangle language that has become meaningless by itself and you wind up with constant, intractable miscommunication.

Heck, Japanese has a lot of context-related half-finished sentences with implied subjects and even verbs, and while it's intelligible, a lot of miscommunication occurs that is impossible to transliterate into English because English is a more precise language, and would not accept the trail-offs and implied subjects that allow the listener to inject entirely opposite meanings from what the speaker meant. It sometimes makes anime a little confusing, because the transliterater had to choose one of the two (or more) meanings, and thus we as English-speaking audiences get clarity that wasn't there. Making it hard to understand how the other party misunderstood...or how they MEANT what they claim to have intended.

This is in no small part because Japanese puts a lot of stock in context that is multi-layered and social-position-based, on top of numerous other elements. Again, they can make themselves understood, but it's not as powerful a language as English for precise communication.

I dread to see English lose that precision just because "linguistic drift happens." May as well just argue that we shouldn't bother teaching it; babies pointing and making whatever noises they want are just as valid a means of communication. That's linguistic drift, right?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Spoiler: spoiler added by Max_Killjoy to save space
    Show
    While linguistic drift does happen, there is no reason to support it where it hinders understanding. Otherwise, we shouldn't ever correct anybody for using whatever word they like to mean whatever they wish it to. Perhaps, like the Caterpillar, they must pay some words a little extra for overtime, but surely the fact that we can't comprehend them is our fault for being linguistic prescritivists.

Using "dice" as a singular does grate on my ear, though it's mildly forgivable because it is understandable.

Using "irregardless," however, not only grates on my ear, but (because I know the meaning of the prefix) it makes me stop and try to figure out how one thing is with regard to another, even though after I stop and think for a moment I realize the person is just speaking poorly.

It especially drives me batty when people start misusing words because they think the words sound sophisticated.

The prevalence of misused words even in modern mass media, amongst pundits and writers who make their living at it, is troubling...because they often wind up writing nonsense that I then must spend quite some time divining the real meaning of, and as it gets worse, communication suffers.

There is beauty in a well-constructed language which remembers that certain prefixes and suffixes (or, in some languages, modifying particles or tones) have specific meanings that modify root words. It enhances communication and expands vocabulary by allowing clear, concise information transmission. When we start to say that "it's just linguistic drift; get over it" because people who are less educated don't know the meanings of the words (or constructions) they're misusing, we excuse bad communication and make it harder to construct new, meaningful expressions, because we do things like make antonyms into synonyms (except when we mean the opposite).

Context might be powerful, but rely too much on it to untangle language that has become meaningless by itself and you wind up with constant, intractable miscommunication.

Heck, Japanese has a lot of context-related half-finished sentences with implied subjects and even verbs, and while it's intelligible, a lot of miscommunication occurs that is impossible to transliterate into English because English is a more precise language, and would not accept the trail-offs and implied subjects that allow the listener to inject entirely opposite meanings from what the speaker meant. It sometimes makes anime a little confusing, because the transliterater had to choose one of the two (or more) meanings, and thus we as English-speaking audiences get clarity that wasn't there. Making it hard to understand how the other party misunderstood...or how they MEANT what they claim to have intended.

This is in no small part because Japanese puts a lot of stock in context that is multi-layered and social-position-based, on top of numerous other elements. Again, they can make themselves understood, but it's not as powerful a language as English for precise communication.

I dread to see English lose that precision just because "linguistic drift happens." May as well just argue that we shouldn't bother teaching it; babies pointing and making whatever noises they want are just as valid a means of communication. That's linguistic drift, right?

These forums desperately need a +1 button for moments like this.

It's one thing to expand a language because new ideas come into our shared space of ideas, and new words are needed. As an old acquaintance of mine on Usenet once said, "on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

It's another thing entirely to watch a language fall apart and use its utility as a means of sharing ideas, because we didn't want to be "prescriptive". (In part I blame postmodernists and their disdain for actual meaning.)
    Last edited by Max_Killjoy; 2017-04-18 at 12:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Satinavian View Post
    I'll +1 that this is unlikely due to modern media.

There's already been a lessening of accents due to this.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Language is a tool for communication. The utility of that tool suffers when the language degrades.

Something as "simple" and "subtle" as the Oxford comma can change the meaning of a sentence entirely.

Spoiler: Just a tiny bit NSFW
    Show

God, I've always hated that example of why the Oxford comma is vital. You can just rearrange the nouns to make that sentence less ambiguous!

I agree that the Oxford comma has uses but come on. Deliberate ambiguity doesn't prove anything.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."