New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Is D&D played a lot in Japan?

So, as a bit of a goal for me, I wanted to go to Japan in my life. But I'd probably miss roleplaying and D&D terribly.

Do people in Japan play D&D, or is there some sort of alternative there that they play there?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Is D&D played a lot in Japan?

AFAIK, pen and paper RPGs are not very popular there. Also, due to how their lifestyle is, games tend to be more like 1-3 sessions long oneshots (since it is difficult to commit to longer games I've been told). Most games made in Japan use d6 only, since other die are hard to come by there.

And that's about everything I know about RPGs in Japan.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Woah, ok...

Er, that is a bit worrisome.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khaiel View Post
    AFAIK, pen and paper RPGs are not very popular there. Also, due to how their lifestyle is, games tend to be more like 1-3 sessions long oneshots (since it is difficult to commit to longer games I've been told). Most games made in Japan use d6 only, since other die are hard to come by there.

And that's about everything I know about RPGs in Japan.
    LOL

Where the hell did you hear all that??

If you only knew how many game stores I dug through during my 3 years in Japan.... I've still got some of the RPG's I picked up while I was there, though I've forgotten 90% of the Japanese I knew so it's harder to read the rules books now days.

The Anime "Record of Lodoss War" is based on a long running, epic D&D game.
    Last edited by Mutazoia; 2017-06-08 at 10:11 AM.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I honestly don't know. My assumption would be that they play games at more/less the same rate as everyone else, but mostly play domestic products - like everyone. They're a country with a distinct identity and their own language/history/culture. I'd imagine Japanese products written for Japanese people by Japanese people would be the most popular, over something like D&D.

Like I said that's my guess, I really have no knowledge of it. However this is the Internet and I'm sure somebody knows or has experience. I'm mostly just posting so I can find out fairly how wrong my impression are without the benefit of hearing the real answer.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Someone call Gastronomie, he can provide a definitive answer to this.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    LOL

Where the hell did you hear all that??

If you only knew how many game stores I dug through during my 3 years in Japan.... I've still got some of the RPG's I picked up while I was there, though I've forgotten 90% of the Japanese I knew so it's harder to read the rules books now days.

The Anime "Record of Lodoss War" is based on a long running, epic D&D game.
    TBH, that is based on very dated info from back when my uncle lived there ^^U

8. - Top - End - #8
    Spamalot in the Playground

Paizo is showing a Venture Agent and Venture Coordinator for Japan. If you reach out, they may be able to help you get the lay of the land as far as tabletop gaming stores, D&D etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Do they use Meetup in Japan? Check & see if there are any events in any of your prospective destinations
    I'm working for the Empire. But don't worry… I'm not going to garrote you!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

D&D itself is comparatively rare, mostly because TSR and WotC were and are weirdly hesitant about actually translating it. There are plenty of Japanese RPGs around though, and a couple even have English translations.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

I've actually learned from somebody on the r/DND that Wizards of the Coast are actually going to translate 5th edition to many languages, including Japanese.

Source: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/localization

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

This is a few years old now, but may be of interest.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Considering how the entire genre of jRPG video games basically arose from D&D and similar table-top RPGs of the late 70s and early 80s, it's a pretty good bet that there are still people in Japan playing D&D.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Oh yeah, the very first Final Fantasy took a whole lot of inspiration from D&D if I remember correctly!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Worst case you can always use the internet to play d&d from afar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post

What are the places: Elf-land. Dwarf-land. Ethnic-stereotype-land(s). And who could forget The Big Chill and Spooky-Underground-Elf-Land?

Necromance if you want to

We can bring your friends to life

But if your friends aren't dead and if they aren't dead then their no friends of mine

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Do keep in mind, that there are American military bases in Japan, chocked full of people who play, so even if you can't find a group of locals to game with, you can still find a local group to game with (depending on your location).
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSymphony View Post
    I've actually learned from somebody on the r/DND that Wizards of the Coast are actually going to translate 5th edition to many languages, including Japanese.
    I wonder if we'll hear complaints about these versions as well. It's really the whining that brings us all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    Do keep in mind, that there are American military bases in Japan, chocked full of people who play, so even if you can't find a group of locals to game with, you can still find a local group to game with (depending on your location).
    Also, try to find people who teach English over there if you are not having much luck with the locals. (And if you know Japanese and are good with people, that might be a good program to try out. I haven't done it personally, but you might want to look into it.)

But who knows? Maybe you'll find a new hobby while you're over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oko and Qailee View Post
    Man, I like this tiefling.
    For all of your completely and utterly honest needs. Zaydos made, Tiefling approved.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSymphony View Post
    Oh yeah, the very first Final Fantasy took a whole lot of inspiration from D&D if I remember correctly!
    Took a lot of inspiration from Wizardry. Wizardry was more popular in Japan than it was back in the 'States. If I recall correctly, there was a bunch of Wizardry Gaiden titles and most JRPGs at least took a little inspiration from Wizardry.
    "Movement speed is the most important statistic in this game."

"Give them no mercy for they give no mercy to us."

"I see one of those I kill it!"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Currently living in Japan and DMing for a group of English teachers living here.

The answer is a big ol' maybe, unfortunately. I live in a really rural area. There are no big game shops to speak of, and as has been mentioned I am unaware of a current official Japanese translation for D&D so the games there are all other things.

That said I know of a few Japanese speaking groups that have formed, and English teachers are basically everywhere so you may have some luck setting up a group. I would suggest coming prepared to DM though. A lot of people living abroad are pretty busy with the whole making life work in a foreign country thing. I tried joining 3 groups that all fell through until I finally offered to DM myself and that seemed to work. DM shortage is a problem everywhere, but moreso when D&D isn't that thing everyone has always wanted to try.

Where are you going to be living? Tokyo has some EXCELLENT gaming stores. That's where I got most of the dice I use and a few little RPGs that I am still working on translating for my group to play when we can't get everyone together to play D&D.

Roll 20 is an option too of course.
    Last edited by Skelechicken; 2017-06-08 at 11:05 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Japan has a tabletop culture, they call it TTRPG, though I doubt DnD is common (different countries have what they consider "their default" rpg. For example, my friend said that Poland's default rpg is Warhammer RPG). An interesting note, Japan is a place that have some things evolved independently compared to the rest of the world (like for example, pc before windows, cellphone tech. You can read about them, it's pretty interesting), and another thing is tabletop and boardgame. But it definitely exists! For example, there's a japanese boardgame con that's equivalent of essen (which is the europe boardgame con).

Though, if you want easier time maybe you really shouldn't limit yourself on "DnD"
    Last edited by Fri; 2017-06-09 at 04:34 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have two gaming groups in Tokyo. In one, we play a modified D&D 3.5. But it's all foreigners, and getting people to participate in a cross-lingual game seems very difficult. We've gotten a lot of 'that's interesting, sounds fun, eh, I couldn't possibly...' when talking about it to locals.

And, to be fair, out of our groups maybe one player would be proficient enough to play in Japanese. I think it would be interesting to try as a way to improve my Japanese but probably I wouldn't get much out of the game itself at my level.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Possibly outdated, but an overview:
    http://www.trpg.net/en/faq/

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Record of Lodoss War was originally a 1st edition D&D campaign log published in a Japanese Magazine long before it got an Anime and other stuff.

Most notable difference plot-wise is that the Elf Deedit was not Fighter Parn's love interest(they were both played by straight men), rather she tried to seduce or con him multiple times to get a hold of his fancy sword so she could sell it for a fortune.

The creators tried to make a licensing deal with TSR to get the Lodoss setting officially published under the D&D banner, but they declined so instead they created an entirely new Tabletop game called Sword World for the setting.
    Last edited by Dunsparce; 2017-06-09 at 12:05 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think it's called "Tunnels & Tentacles" in Japan.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    I think it's called "Tunnels & Tentacles" in Japan.
    Actually, that would be "Teenagers & Tentacles", but that's a different kinda thread all-together....

- L. Long