New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default ShurikeNado: a shuriken master build

Hi mates. Since a longer time I am seeking a playable shuriken build in 3.5. I know that there have been one, but that seems to be disappeared with the old wizard boards. Sure you could make a "d2 Crusader" shuriken build, but that won't be played/allowed on many tables.
    Because I am a ninja + shuriken fanboy since my childhood, I forced myself into theorycrafting a new shuriken build. It's not totally overpowered (like d2 crusader), but still very powerful and more than I did expect at the start.

I need to note that the build makes use of Shou Disciple (prc) which is 3.0 material. I assumed that it further progresses Flurry, since in 3.0 flurry scaled with BAB and not monk lvls. Further the prc even expands the flurry weapon list as an further indicator that this is RAI. You(r DM) may rule otherwise, which would just cost the build an extra flurry attack and cause a -1 penalty on your flurry attacks, but the build would still work fine and have enough dmg to deal with any encounter that it might face.

Spoiler: The Build: Monk 6 / Shou Disciple 5 / Bloodstorm Blade 2 / Barbarian 1 / Drunken Master 2 / Tempest 4
    Show

1) Monk - *Dodge, Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike), ***Great Fortitude, ****Martial Study (Steel Wind), ****Martial Stance (Punishing Stance)
    2) Monk - *Mobility
    3) Monk - Imp. Bullrush
    4) Monk
    5) Monk
    6) Monk - **Spring Attack, Point Blank Shot
    7) Shou Disciple
    8) Shou Disciple - **Power Attack
    9) Bloodstorm Blade - Shock Trooper
    10) Bloodstorm Blade
    11) Barbarian (ACF Pounce)
    12) Drunken Master - TWF
    13) Drunken Master
    14) Shou Disciple
    15) Shou Disciple - **Combat Expertise, Imp. TWF
    16) Shou Disciple
    17) Tempest
    18) Tempest - Whirlwind Attack
    19) Tempest
    20) Tempest
    *Monk Cobra Strike ACF Bonus Feat
    **Shou Disciple Bonus Feat
    ***Human Bonus Feat
    ****Flaw Feat

extra cheese option:
    You can cheese out Point Blank Shot requirement for Bloodstorm Blade with a custom "Mirror Move" item. This gives you the option to rearrange the TWF feats and take greater TWF as last feat instead.

Due to max flurry (2 extra attacks) and TWF feat line and a BAB of +18 (@20) this build gets a lot of attacks in a full attack action.
    Stagger (Drunken Master 2) lets you freely change directions while charging and allows to charge/pounce every turn in almost any space.
    Bloodstorm Blade lets your ranged attacks count as melee (Str bonus, Power Attack, Charge/Pounce..).

Regular Full Attack:
    Pounce flying to a good spot to attack your enemies. Pounce for x3 dmg (dive attack + valorous weapon enchantment).

ShurikeNado:

This is the signature attack of this build. Pounce/fly+dive to a good spot where you have the most enemies in reach of your shuriken. Whirlwind with your shuriken (don't forget the x3 for your dmg). Imho a very big and effective AoE attack for a non caster, that can pull it out as long as he has shuriken.

Shuriken enchantments:
    We need several types of enchantment sets for different situations. The regular enchantment set should include the regular "+5" bonus, Collusion (another +5 dmg) and Valorous (Charge dmg multiplier). Further depending on your setting/campaign, you could make use of a few adamantine shuriken or some with stored spells to dispel (or debuff) your enemies. Depending on your ruling (and the extra cheese option) the build has 7-9 attacks per round. Forcing the enemy that many saves/round will make any caster/target mad. Since shuriken are cheap in small amounts, you can have shuriken for every situation that could come up. Just be creative here.

DMG:
    Lets assume a Str score of 34 (18 base, +5 from lvlUp, +5 Tome/Whish, +6 item) at lvl 20 with gear. Further we take +5 Shuriken with Collusion and Valorous enchantments. With Shock Trooper we make a full powered +18 Power Attack. Finish with an item to fly, to get access to dive attack (charge).

= (( 1d2 + 12 (Str) + 18 (PA) + 5 + 5 (Collusion) ))x3
    = 3d2 + 120 dmg / Shuriken hit

If we take the same setup but make a 2h Whirlwind Attack we get:

= (( 1d2 + 18 (1.5 Str) + 36 (2xPA) + 5 + 5 (Collusion) ))x3
    = 3d2 + 192 AoE dmg / target hit

You can even use any regular melee weapon for the whirlwind if you want, since Bloodstorm Blades returning ability can cover a single weapon, but for the sake of the shuriken build I sticked to them in the dmg example.

As said, not the strongest build in terms of dmg, but still in the upper league. Imho it's more than enough compared to regular health values in 3.5.
    Another lil downside is, that your shurikens are to weak at the early lvls to make use of em. But you can rely on your unarmed flurry attacks. Later you can even flurry with any martial weapon (due to Shou Disciple), e.g. a Great Sword and use your unarmed strikes as offhand weapon. As you can see the build isn't limited to the shuriken combat and has other options for the early to mid lvl phase.

The real upside of the build is that it combines the dmg output of charge with the safeness of a ranged build. Further the range of your Shuriken for Whirlwind will give you enormous AoE attack in large scale battles.

Imho, if you ever wanted to play a flipping shuriken throwing ninja, here you have a nice build to have fun and still be of use (for your team).

END:

I would be happy to get some replies on this build. What are your thoughts?
    Further I intend to extend the Shuriken enchantment sets section. What type of enchantment sets (other than the basic stuff already mention here) would you suggest to be good prepared? Any other items that would need special notation in this guide due to special synergy?

Depending on interest of the community, I intend to refine the guide further if I can spare the time for it (theory crafting & writing guides is always so time intensive..^^).

edit: corrected dmg values. initially forgot + 5 (weapon) & + 5 (Collusion) dmg (which results in 30 dmg more with multipliers).