New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Contract Assistance

So, need some advice from the playground. In my current campaign (I'm the DM) I have a concept for a plot point that I cannot flesh out in my mind. Essentially, I have a group of elves that negotiated a bad (for them) merchant contract with a group of half elves. One of my players is related to the elves, but estranged (half elf herself). What kind of contract could you think of that gives the half elves power, but is advantageous to the elves if they have a half elf of their own?
    If this is too little information to go on, I can add more details, but I didn't want a wall of text. Thank you in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Contract Assistance

maybe something with aa clause about human heritage? I can''t say more without knowing your specifics, but it brought to mind that azurite citizenship requires some human blood (hint: the blood must still be inside the human!).
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That's a possibility. More background, the setting is Eberron, and the elves are Aerenal. The Half-elves in question are from House Lyrander, and the contract is buying the soarwood needed for airships. The elves made the deal before airships were a thing, and now they are upset at how much they promised to export, the prices they are paid, and that they don't get any of these fancy airships.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm could there be something about being able to change the price (or otherwise renegotiate some part of the contract) based on an agreement between a member of the elf group and a member of the half elf group? They might have forgotten to specify that the half elf has to not be estranged, just that they have to be of the right bloodline.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I think the easiest one would be if the groups were vaguely described based on race, rather than specifically. As Recherché said, if the contract is between the "Elves of Aerenal" and the "Half-elves of House Lysander", and never more specifically described than that, then any half-elf of House Lysander might let them break the agreement, or renegotiate it.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That's a definite possibility I hadn't thought about. Perhaps a clause stating that "an Elf Representative and a Half Elf Representative must approve any changes to the pricing or supply", with neither group thinking the Aerenal would ever have a Half Elf representative.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by proselus View Post
    That's a definite possibility I hadn't thought about. Perhaps a clause stating that "an Elf Representative and a Half Elf Representative must approve any changes to the pricing or supply", with neither group thinking the Aerenal would ever have a Half Elf representative.
    Or have the contract binding to the fifth generation, not realizing that humans and elves have kids a lot faster than elves.
    Last edited by TheYell; 2017-07-28 at 11:24 AM.
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail