New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default 4th Edition: Vancian magic system

Vancian magic system – there’s an element of that we held on to, but it’s a much smaller fraction of their overall power. A wizard will never completely run out of spells. They can run out of their “mordenkainen’s sword, however”.
    Hmm, how would this work, you think? Are they going to fold the warlock into the wizard by giving them invocation slots / unlimited at will or per encounter low level spell slots? Allow spells to be prepared as an action during combat over several rounds?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moon-faced Assassin of Joy

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 4th Edition: Vancian magic system

Where's that quote from?
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh! This excites me! Please don't be pulling my leg...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...LC-DND062006FP

Looks like the Wizards of the Coast website.

Quote Originally Posted by jamroar View Post
    Hmm, how would this work, you think? Are they going to fold the warlock into the wizard by giving them invocation slots / unlimited at will or per encounter low level spell slots? Allow spells to be prepared as an action during combat over several rounds?
    I expect that it will mirror in some way that the Force powers work in the new edition of Star Wars. You can use your abilities X times per encounter, and after each encounter with a minute of rest they reset and are usable again. There would of course be other actions and abilities that will reset your abilities during an encounter.
    Last edited by Beleriphon; 2007-08-18 at 11:05 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Sounds like they're gonna work in reserve feats as a class feature.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

All I have got to say is:

Andy Collins - "Being a Wizard is about blasting people with magical energy."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

So there removing one of the wizzards sole limiting features?
    Spoiler
    Show

played the Space Pope in Total War 2125
    ..and the Papal States of Luna in Total War 2260

Playing
    The Gears Chosen in Total Way: Broken City

The Spindleshanks Crusade in Total War: 40K

Dragon Avatar by Serp

Darkness Fell, and with it Light

8. - Top - End - #8

I could easily see it being some modified version of the Spell Points variant in UA.

It's worked well in our campaign from low to mid level, although we tweaked it with the Vitalizing variant incurring "mental fatigue and exhaustion" (penalties to the casting stat and another mental stat). This made casting truely a strain on the mind.
    Da Dominion: blog of belly laffs and a GM (Gamer Media) podcast. Sharp Humor for a Dull World.

9. - Top - End - #9

This is incredible; I really look forward to this change instead of the, as someone aptly put it, "narcoleptic wiz/clr team".
    There is no good and evil. There is only more and less.
    - Khorn'Tal
    -----------------------------------------
    Kalar Eshanti

10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    I expect that it will mirror in some way that the Force powers work in the new edition of Star Wars. You can use your abilities X times per encounter, and after each encounter with a minute of rest they reset and are usable again. There would of course be other actions and abilities that will reset your abilities during an encounter.
    Thats my theory on how fighters will work (since they did say they were going to work in ToB stuff, and force powers and ToB maneuvers are very similar mechanically).

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger
    Not if spells are going to be on the whole not as powerful (I don't see Warlock invocations being overpowered).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

This is where my money's at, considering they "are utilizing concepts from Star Wars Saga and the ToB."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Bleh. This way they'll turn wizards into warlocks. I sincerely hope this prediction is wrong. I'd prefer even spell points over that.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-08-18 at 12:26 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

Thats my theory on how fighters will work (since they did say they were going to work in ToB stuff, and force powers and ToB maneuvers are very similar mechanically).

Quote Originally Posted by puppyavenger
    Not if spells are going to be on the whole not as powerful (I don't see Warlock invocations being overpowered).

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

Ah. So they aren't planning to run any class that is about having a wide variety of magical tools that can be applied to all sorts of situations then? Or does the cleric get to keep the interesting side of magic, while the wizard becomes an over-int field gun?

Gah. Can't really judge until actual material is released, but that sounds very bad.

15. - Top - End - #15

Truespeakers can use magic as often as they want, but they need to make a skill check. Could it be something like that?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Founder of the Guy in a Fancy Cape Fanclub.
    Trophies:
    2nd best discworld avatar
    2nd best discworld sigatar
    Caption contest wins: 5th place, 1st place
    Founder of the invisible message army.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

I think there may be a certain Batman Ninja Wizard slinking over Mr Collins rooftops to larn that boy the truth some time in the near future.

That said per-encounter/Wow-style cooldown casting would be a less bad mechanic than narcolepsomancy vancian casting. Although why WOTC just don't go the whole XPH 'spell points' hog I don't know. It just ... works.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2007-08-18 at 01:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

As my own random speculation, maybe they'll be able to cast many times during the day but only cast any given spell so many times before they lose it? So their spell slots become repetitions allowed?

Maybe once you've cast Fireball five times, say, you've exhausted that energy-track in your mental muscles, but you can still throw Lightning Bolts?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Although why WOTC just don't go the whole XPH 'spell points' hog I don't know. It just ... works.
    I don't know, because it appeared in 666 other various other games and is so utterly unoriginal that it's no wonder WoTC is trying to come up with something new?
    It'd be better than per-encounter mechanics, but for casters everything is.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

With every major change that WotC lists, they make it easier to screw up the new addition. It could turn out to be amazing, but there's just so many things that could be ruined.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I sincerely hope they tweak the Force mechanics quite a bit, since in SW saga you get a VERY limited number of them. Imagine casters with less spells prepared than a Warblade has readied...
    Last edited by Enzario; 2007-08-18 at 01:25 PM.
    If a cute girl with a red sash and overalls on slips you a note, ignore it, forget it, and sic the police on her.

You receive ten fail points. You may spend them as you see fit.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, as some you may know by now, I'm not a huge fan of Vancian magic systems. So this is the best thing I've heard about 4E yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm still not ready for 4.0, but this definitely a step in the right direction.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Enzario View Post
    I sincerely hope they tweak the Force mechanics quite a bit, since in SW saga you get a VERY limited number of them. Imagine casters with less spells prepared than a Warblade has readied...
    I thought about setting up a system where spellcasters could cast a number of spells per encounter equal to the difference between their spellcasting ability modifier and the spell's level, so a level 5 wizard with 18 intelligence could cast 4 cantrips, 3 level 1 spells, 2 level 2 spells and 1 level 3 spell. I never really figured out how a level 7 wizard with 18 intelligence would work though.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have to admit, this and the racial talk have my interest piqued. Magic is fun, but the way wizards and sorcerers work is never exactly what I had in mind for what magic really is. I'll be very interested in seeing what they come up with.

I know everyone is worried, but frankly, I'm excited as all heck. If it sucks, I'll just keep playing 3.5. Between the dozens of classes, hundereds of prestige classes, and a mountain of homebrew stuff to sift through, 3.5 will still always be there.
    And if it's fantastic, then hey, fantastic game system just waiting to be enjoyed, homebrewed, and expanded.

It's win win.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

More spells per day for wizards and better capability in both battlefield control and blasting? It must be my birthday!
    ~Awesome avatar by Ceika

You can't spell damage without mage!

Proud owner of the Raistlin DnD figure (first try)!

25. - Top - End - #25

I think its been slowly moving away from Vancian magic system as they went through the editions and expansions.

When they added the sorcerer in 3.0 they tested out removing the memorization but restricting spells to a smaller set.

When they added the Warlock, they removed the spells per day limitation and limited magic to a very few effects (which could then be modified).

I suspect they will aim some place in the middle.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

One of the problems with Vancian magic is that, at high levels, you have to spend a lot of time allocating all of those low level slots you have available. This could be solved by keeping Vancian magic for your highest spell level (or maybe your two highest spell levels), but introducing something else (per day, per encounter, at will, spell points, or whatever) for lower levels.

That way you would still get to make a choice regarding your best spells for the day, which is a tactically interesting feature IMO, but with less annoying book-keeping. That would make life easier to DMs: it's much faster to write down "Yurgol the 13th level NPC necromancer has 1 Mordenkainen's Sword memorized, can cast any 5th or 6th level spell once per encounter, and any 4th level or lower spell at will" than doing the whole list.

27. - Top - End - #27

Isn't that a warlock's job?
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Joe View Post
    I think its been slowly moving away from Vancian magic system as they went through the editions and expansions.

When they added the sorcerer in 3.0 they tested out removing the memorization but restricting spells to a smaller set.

When they added the Warlock, they removed the spells per day limitation and limited magic to a very few effects (which could then be modified).

I suspect they will aim some place in the middle.
    The sorcerer was around before 3.0
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

29. - Top - End - #29

Maybe your best (tier 1) spells need to be prepared/energized or what not.

Your next best (tier 2) spells can be cast spontaeously, but draw power from you.

Your least spells (tier 3) are mastered and you can cast them with little drain.

As you advance, these tiers move up. Ritual spells need to come out of the spell lists (like identify). Those seem to fall into a different category.

30. - Top - End - #30

The other way could be to run a dual system.

Reduce the Wizards spells they can cast by 50% but give them Warlock invocations as well (I've generally seen the warlock held as weak at high levels).

That would leave the Wizard with a limited "batman" capacity, but he uses the invocations for general combat purposes.

The other possibility would be if they made the vancian part of magic work similiar to Artificer Infusions, generally take a minute to cast, and they have the their Warlock powers for unprepared combat, and general combat after the 1st round.

Both of thse would still leave the Wizard considerable power, but blunt his ability to rule combats. If you look at traditional fanatsy there are few examples where the the wizard can fire of complex spell after complex spell during a combat.

Possible example -
    Wizard casts a few low level buffs before combat and then cast a "irresistable dance" in her right hand. Charges into combat firing arcane bolts woth the left hand in support of the fighters and then slaps in the iressitable dance (or whatever other nasty you wish to choose) when the opportunity presents. Then they choose, based on the tactical situation, whether to keep balsting or to cast another biggy. - You could also say that they can start casting the biggies while arcane blasting. So every 5 rounds or so the Wizard can pop out a Vancian spell, but the rest of the time they're stuck with Warlocking. Makes Time Stop less of a killer.

Stephen