New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Rise of the Runelords game (PF1) OOC

Welcome to the game, everyone. Please introduce yourselves, and pick a text colour.

Recruitment Thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ody-RECRUITING

IC Thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...PF1)-IC-thread
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-11-28 at 12:36 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords game (PF1) OOC

Wow...7 players? That's a lot! One of each of the sins and schools of magic I guess?

As the resident pyromaniac, WugWug chooses RED

WugWug sheet

Spoiler: Picture
    Show

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    WugWug was never quite your “typical” goblin. Even at birth, it was clear that he would be different. The most obvious is his size. He is larger than most goblins, and certainly a lot more hearty. Rumor has it that somewhere in his ancestry, some orc blood entered the family tree. This ancestry gives WugWug a slightly different perspective…a more ambitious one. WugWug grew up always being bolder and more willing to take risks than his more cowardly tribesmen. Whether it was climbing the hills of his birthplace, or exploring the deep caves after they had to flee from human retaliation, WugWug was always willing to go first. WugWug was the one to try to new and exotically-colored mushroom (sometimes with quite…humorous results). It was also this boldness that caused WugWug to try something he was sure no other goblin has done before: READ.

One day, WugWug’s tribe ambushed a gnome adventuring party and captured them. Goblins usually find gnomes tasty, and WugWug’s tribe prefers to torture their food before cooking them alive. apparently they feel that this adds extra ‘spice’ and ‘flavor’ to gnome meat. One of the gnomes was a wizard, and happened to be very skilled at verbal trickery. He managed to convince the rest of the tribe that he would provide more amusement to tribe as a permanent punching bag/torture victim than just a meal. Of course, he was hoping that this would give him a chance to survive until he got rescued.

WugWug was assigned to guard this prisoner, and as he conversed with this prisoner every day, he became curious about books and how they worked. The other goblins would not dare try to read the books that the gnome had, but the gnome was able to eventually convince WugWug to give it a try. No doubt the gnome hopes that this would cause strife within the goblin camp and perhaps give him a chance to escape. However, WugWug was rather stealthy and discreet about this, and the opportunity did not present itself immediately. With coaching from the gnome, WugWug did begin to learn to read words..and to his utter shock, he did not start leaking words out of his head! After reading, he still retained all of how knowledge. In fact, he GAINED knowledge from the books. In his view, the rest of the goblins had it wrong. Reading is stealing words from books, and as goblins love stealing, all goblins should embrace this!

The gnome felt that he was close to either causing strife in the tribe, or opening their eyes to a new way of life, and finally started teaching WugWug how to read his spellbook. WugWug was absolutely fascinated, and dives into this eagerly. When WugWug learned enough to cast his first spell, he was unable to hide his reading anywhere. WugWug tried to convince the rest of his tribe that reading would bring tremendous advantage to the tribe, but the other goblins wanted nothing to do with it. Instead, they turned on him and attempted to kill WugWug! As WugWug escaped, he opened the cage that held the gnome. “FOR YOUR GIFT OF WORDS, YOU GET CHANCE AT FREEDOM! GO!” The gnome followed WugWug as WugWug ran. WugWug does not know whether the gnome survived or not.

After leaving his tribe, WugWug wandered Varisia, wondering where he would fit in, and still having a burning desire to read and collect more books! Of course, as a goblin he also still has a burning desire to…well…burn. His favorite spell in the spellbook is Burning Hands, although he has found other spells useful as well when trying to curry favors with others. He has even experienced something he has never experienced before: Someone thanking him. After he used one of his spells to heal an injured person, he received praise and even a meal as thanks. Most importantly, this person told WugWug of the existence of libraries. WugWug starred heading towards the nearest settlement, Sandpoint, hoping to either find a library there or at least directions to the nearest one.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2023-11-28 at 01:42 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I had a lot of good applications, and I figured there are always drop offs, so we should stabilise at 4-5 players. And at low levels, I am sure I can handle the game. I usually DM epic level games, so I don't foresee too many issues with the power level for this one.

Also, welcome to the game, Frosty.
    Last edited by paradox26; 2023-11-28 at 01:36 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

7 players Jesus that's alot of players then again it is a pbp. Sorin shall be speaking in Light purple

Spoiler: Pic
    Show

Spoiler: Background
    Show

Sorins grew up traveling from place-to-place listening to his clan elders tell the history of varasia and the cultures it spawned. This began his interest with meeting new people, culture and knowledge. That would have been all until a trip passing by hollow mountain introduced him to Thassilon and its remnants. While there he would come upon the remnants of some long-forgotten type of magic that seemed familiar to what was talked about in varisian legend about making minor deals with sprits in exchange for power, and the godddes lissela who preached being rewared for good service he was hooked. What began as a passing interest soon became an obsession with learning about Thassilon and its lost goddess and Sorin jumped in headfirst. Whenever he was in a major city, he would go to whoever passed as the local Thassilonian expert and pick their brain while there. It was while he was Magnimar that he heard rumors of a new ruin being discovered in Sandpoint and he figured that he should visit his old friends Shayliss and Katrine Vinder and hopefully avoid pissing off their father this time while he was in town looking for any information on the ruin.
    Last edited by razorfloss; 2023-11-28 at 09:27 PM.
    Its not about having good grades It's about passing the semester

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Nicholas (Nick if he likes you) Lorchester
    Jeqem Ashthorn

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, it is more than I planned for. But the apps were excellent. Everyone put in a lot of work. I even considered running two or three different parties so everyone could join in, but that would have been too many.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

How do you want us to introduce ourselves in character? Honestly I'm not sure how WugWug will be received, and it depends on where he is I guess...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I will put up an initial post shortly. The game starts at the Swallowtail Festival in the town of Sandpoint, right on the Autumnal Equinox. You can have your character behaving as you like at the festival, until I get the first post up and kick the game into gear.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

First post is now up IC. Introduce yourselves and act naturally for the situation.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

George will speak in blue
    Last edited by samduke; 2023-11-28 at 09:06 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Zeratuu the Kobold Stalker will speak in "Green. Black or red would be more thematic, but this is clear enough."
    Last edited by Gyrfalcon; 2023-11-28 at 03:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Oberk, Kin-Slayer will speak in Dark Red.

Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyđja mundu nú grísir, ef ţeir vissi, hvat inn gamli ţyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello everyone.

I am excited to start the adventure and get to savling the day and/or world with all of you

Also: list of selected characters

Player Character Class Complete?
    ngilop Drakaina Human Marshal Y
    Gyrfalcon Zeratuu Kobold Vigilante (Stalker) Y
    BelGareth Oberk Dwarf Fighter Y
    razorfloss Sorin Dalmark Human Pactmaker (Occult Scholar) Y
    Samduke George Human Bard Y
    DarkOne Raam Fargis Halfling Unchained Ninja (Scout and VMC Monk) (Melee striker, traps, stealth and scouting) Y
    Frosty WugWug Goblin Arcanist (Blood Arcanist) Y
    Last edited by ngilop; 2023-11-28 at 06:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Raam Fargis will speak in Gray text. He's not the most outgoing, but I hope he will have reason to open up with the other PCs.

We've got a distinctly edgy group here - hope that works out in our favor!

14. - Top - End - #14

Zeratuu is going to start engaging with the others since everyone is gathering near the food vendors. While rogue-adjacent, she's not meant to be entirely edgelord.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrfalcon View Post
    Zeratuu is going to start engaging with the others since everyone is gathering near the food vendors. While rogue-adjacent, she's not meant to be entirely edgelord.
    I think the term is meant for personality no class.. but I could be wrong.

So many words have changed definition since I was younger.

16. - Top - End - #16

I'm referring to the concept that the prototypical edgelord is a rogue sitting in the corner of the tavern with the deepest shadows so they can quickly establish how dark and edgy they are.

17. - Top - End - #17

I'll have you know Sorin is a sweet heart. Ignore the multiple personalities that may or may not show up.

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Jeqem Ashthorn

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Are any of your characters openly carrying a book?

19. - Top - End - #19

Not mine. (Character limit)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like Oberk is the only one who is going to have issues with the Goblin! should be fun to roleplay through
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    I feel like Oberk is the only one who is going to have issues with the Goblin! should be fun to roleplay through
    oh yeah do Dwarves have a racial hatred against Goblins?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    oh yeah do Dwarves have a racial hatred against Goblins?
    well, this one has had a few encounters, and not to mention the Goblin Cleaver feat, but really thats just a feat on the way towards Giant-Killer feat at 11th.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

That’s a lot of feats just to use the cleave feat against giants. Is it worth it? But, it IS very flavorful…

24. - Top - End - #24

I'm honestly at a loss as to what that whole feat chain is trying to do. As far as I can tell, you spend three feats to... be able to cleave an enemy within one size category of yourself and not adjacent to your first target, in the situations where that comes up. Its certainly flavorful, but the whole thing isn't worth three feats. I'd have made it one feat that upgrades at the appropriate levels.
    Last edited by Gyrfalcon; 2023-11-30 at 02:45 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Honestly it feels more like a flavor feat that a fighter would take with it's million feats pathfinder is full of them.

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Jeqem Ashthorn

26. - Top - End - #26

That’s true, and its not like Zeratuu won’t be working towards kobold paragon… :P

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I have to concur with the above.

Just seems a little... underwhelming. The suggested this becomes active at X base attack seems par for the course in regards to the elephant feat tax rules we are using.

I

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

He needs: Cleave, Goblin Cleaver, Orc Hewer, Power Attack, Strike Back, before he can take Giant Killer. That's a LOT of feats. But hey...I guess Fighters have feats enough to spare.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

yeah, and at level 11th....it's nothing broken, but it's 100% flavorful, which is where i went. So i have a lot of wriggle room along the way hehehe

EDIT: and now we are altogether!

Also, i found these cool feats so i don't have to go into Ranger:
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/gener...reature-focus/
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/comba...ersary-combat/
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2023-11-30 at 11:47 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I think we're just waiting on paradox now?