New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default So as to avoid stabbities while asleep

What's the Listen DC to hear a door opening?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: So as to avoid stabbities while asleep

Don't sleeping characters get a -10 to all rolls?
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A sleeping character may make Listen checks at a -10 penalty. A successful check awakens the sleeper
    As for the DC of hearing the door itself it would depend on the door, if it's a creaky door I would put it around 0 or 5 ( DC to hear an armored person trying to be quiet/tiptoeing), a well oiled one may be up to 10 (DC of an unarmored person trying to be quiet/tiptoeing).
    Last edited by broderickdruce; 2007-08-20 at 02:28 AM.
    "Only YOU can prevent forum fires" -Anonymous
    "To err is human, to really screw up requires a computer." - Anonymous

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus-R.C._Mina View Post
    -10 to Listen checks. Most rolls they don't make at all.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Methinks I agree with Broderickdruce there. It would depend on what sort of door is being opened.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus-R.C._Mina View Post
    I'm not sure what the official ruling on this is, but a neat rule I picked up from The Wheel of Time RPG that I really liked was that a sleeping character only got their skill bonus on Listen checks (effectively taking '0' on their roll). Thus, a character without a lot of ranks in Listen would have a decent chance of not hearing a duel occuring down the hallway past a couple closed doors.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'd rule it would be Listen vs. Move Silently. With a penalty for a creaky door.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I've always wondered how that 20th LvL Ranger with +40 Listen ever gets any rest. That's +40 (Nearly impossible) on average with the -10 for sleeping. A mouse running through your room should wake you up.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's that our near Epic ranger (23 skill ranks, +7 wisdom bonus, Alterness(+2), skill focus (+3)) at +35 listen (I can't get him higher...) identifies and categorises noises as he sleeps. His brain will wake him for any uncommon noise.

I sleep with my window ajar over a busy street, even an ambulance going by will not wake me; but I will instantly wake if I hear the key turning in the lock of my flat when my roommate returns.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    -10 to Listen checks. Most rolls they don't make at all.
    Thankfully. I mean, Bluff in your sleep? Diplomacy? "I could win this crowd over in my sleep..."

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I'm not sure what the official ruling on this is, but a neat rule I picked up from The Wheel of Time RPG that I really liked was that a sleeping character only got their skill bonus on Listen checks (effectively taking '0' on their roll). Thus, a character without a lot of ranks in Listen would have a decent chance of not hearing a duel occuring down the hallway past a couple closed doors.
    Which, conveniently, works out exactly the same as taking 10 on the Listen check with the -10 penalty for sleeping.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Thankfully. I mean, Bluff in your sleep? Diplomacy? "I could win this crowd over in my sleep..."
    I was actually thinking of attack rolls. Although you could have a really violent sleepwalker...

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

I did a load out of spells for a 20th level ranger that was designed around not being bothered while you sleep and not being noticed while you travel. I think the thread was called Ranger's Top 4 or something.

13. - Top - End - #13

SamuraiGuy

There is a feat, probably called "Light Sleeper" or something, that I've read that eliminates the -10 to listen checks for being asleep.

And, as we all know from the short-running comic "Five Foot Steps" there's no out-and-out RAW reference to many skills being impossible while sleeping so forget listen and just roll Spot at no minus

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

It doesn't matter if you pass the Listen check, because your group is smart enough to sleep in the extradimensional space of a Rope Trick. Alternatively, you automatically pass the Listen check, because you cast Alarm on the door before you went to sleep.

Also, I grew up in NY. I can sleep through the sound of cars, buses, trains, loud random yelling, gunshots, or a Mr. Frosty ice cream truck (with the world's most annoying music being blasted on loudspeakers at midnight - who buys ice cream at midnight!) But the sound of someone opening my bedroom door or the chirping of a single cricket still wakes me up. So really, your Listen check isn't just the sensitivity of your hearing, its your ability to sort through the constant noise of the world and notice the important sounds.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    So really, your Listen check isn't just the sensitivity of your hearing, its your ability to sort through the constant noise of the world and notice the important sounds.
    I suppose that is why it is wisdom based and not intelligence. Same with spot. Everyone SEES the same stuff, but the wise person can pick out the things that don't belong.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Short answer: It depends on the door, charecter's distance from the door, and any objects between you and the door. Listen checks while asleep are subject to a -10 penalty.

Simple solution: Post a watchstander or two, depending on your party size. Yelling "Wake up!" really really loud from right next to your allies will almost certainly wake them up. Think of it like a (demi) human alarm clock.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

It doesn't matter if you pass the Listen check, because your group is smart enough to sleep in the extradimensional space of a Rope Trick.
    And both you DM and whole group don't have enough common sense to ban this spell from existence.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-08-20 at 09:58 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

ElfPirate

[QUOTE=Person_Man;3063301]Mr. Frosty ice cream truck (with the world's most annoying music being blasted on loudspeakers at midnight - who buys ice cream at midnight!)QUOTE]

where do you live, if i was a cop i would be suspicious of that, after curfew, an ice-cream truck(who 90% of who buys their stuff is 4-10) would be pulled over like no tomorrow
    Edit:re-read your post
    Last edited by Drider; 2007-08-20 at 10:09 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

[QUOTE=Drider;3063566]
    Mr. Frosty ice cream truck (with the world's most annoying music being blasted on loudspeakers at midnight - who buys ice cream at midnight!)QUOTE]

where do you live, if i was a cop i would be suspicious of that, after curfew, an ice-cream truck(who 90% of who buys their stuff is 4-10) would be pulled over like no tomorrow
    Edit:re-read your post
    I'm pretty sure that Mr. Frosty was selling drugs, which was quite common. But in our neighborhood, gunshots sometimes went unreported, because you didn't want to make trouble (i.e., the people with guns lived there, and so did their gang/friends/family). So no one is really going to complain about some petty midnight ice cream truck. Ironically, no one in my family was ever a victim of any crime of any sort until I moved to DC, where there's law enforcement literally everywhere, and I was promptly mugged within twenty minutes of getting off the Metro for the first time. Go figure.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

<SNIP>

I'm originally from Maine, where there's a shotgun in practically every house. Nobody gets mugged there.

I incorporated "weapon control" in a game I ran once. Everybody was searched coming into the city, and all weapons bigger than a pocketknife were confiscated (and the offenders fined on the spot). Crime was rampant, with Monks running organized extortion and "protection" rackets. My non-casting adventurers were pretty much useless baggage, reduced to improvising any club-like object nearby as a weapon when needed. And, of course, I had the Wizard get kidnapped straight away. There were no other pure spellcasters in the party, but there was a Paladin, a Bard (the party's designated healer), and a Ranger. Suddenly the Ranger's ability to cast Magic Fang became critically important to the Fighter who had Improved Unarmed Strike, and the Paladin's Magic Weapon spell was used on their belt knives. That first night the Fighter stayed on watch constantly so the spellcasters could get a full night's rest, because their spells suddenly became the party's most important asset. Almost all of the Ranger's and Paladin's prepared spells got swapped for something better suited to the changed circumstances.

That was a fun game to run, but my players really hated me for it.

21. - Top - End - #21

I'm playing in a game right now where my fighter uses farm implements, scythe, sickle and flail for just such a reason. This restriction on weapons is exactly what started the whole karate/kung fu thing as well as many exotic weapons which started out as either impromptu weapons or farm implements.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

wear light armour when you sleep, or take endurance and wear heavier armour.
    cast alarm around yourself, and max listen.
    - I like the world. Some of my best evilness took place here. I wouldn't mind ruling it, in fact.
    - Nah, Teevo is helping me edit my submission to "World's Funniest Protagonist Deaths"
    - Badass. REALLY badass.

Nominated for Xykon in the Playground:

Official Biophiliac of the Xykon fan club.

REALLY badass avatar by Dr.Bath

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Alarm is level 1, and the mental version never fails to wake the caster. Just have someone cast it and you're golden.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by broderickdruce View Post
    As for the DC of hearing the door itself it would depend on the door, if it's a creaky door I would put it around 0 or 5 ( DC to hear an armored person trying to be quiet/tiptoeing), a well oiled one may be up to 10 (DC of an unarmored person trying to be quiet/tiptoeing).
    This is a good way of going about it. It should be simple enough that the average person, if awake, would generally hear it. A DC over 10 would need to be a pretty special door.
    Ironically, no one in my family was ever a victim of any crime of any sort until I moved to DC, where there's law enforcement literally everywhere, and I was promptly mugged within twenty minutes of getting off the Metro for the first time. Go figure.
    There is a bit of irony there, but I wouldn't play it up too much...I've walked through neighborhoods like you mentioned a time or three, and it doesn't overly concern me, perhaps because of where I grew up...but I wouldn't dare walk through a lot of DC alone. The crime rate there is absurdly high, the parks there manage to be more dangerous than the most run-down, graffitied-up, drugged-out alley I've strolled though. They have cops everywhere because they need that many to keep the body count low.

This might say something about our country, but I probably shouldn't go there, hehe.
    Last edited by tainsouvra; 2007-08-20 at 12:38 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Have a War-Forged in the party. They never sleep.
    Even then you should probably do watches with him as he can't look in all directions at once. Animal companions are great for this kind of thing as they have sharp sesnses and scent.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Have a War-Forged in the party. They never sleep.
    Even then you should probably do watches with him as he can't look in all directions at once. Animal companions are great for this kind of thing as they have sharp sesnses and scent.
    This is very true; I've got a animal-training ranger who has a pet dog and hawk, and between Scent and +16 spot, and both animals knowing the Guard and Seek tricks, it's REALLY tough to sneak up on him.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Whatever the DM says it is.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

28. - Top - End - #28

SamuraiGuy

Surely it depends on whether or not they're supposed to hear the door open? Narrativium is strong stuff.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

That is very true. As a DM, I fudge rolls soemtimes when they are important to the plot line.
    My Friends Novel
    My Characters:
    There are three kinds of people. Those who know math, and those who dont. - Unknown

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

I was actually thinking of attack rolls. Although you could have a really violent sleepwalker...
    I've done this. A relative came into my room once and in my mostly asleep state(90%) I kicked her across the room with the first kick(where she bounced off of a closet door and landed in a storage tote), almost busted a chair they hid behind with a subsequent furry of blows from my foot, and broke my big toe before I was awake.

Make it a homebrew feat that requires Awareness as a prerequisite. "Anyone that touches this character while asleep without making a Sleight of Hand check equal to the character's level + Wisdom bonus is subject to a full attack reguardless of being friend or foe."
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Fanfiction R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Wgah'nagl fhtagn! Wgah'nagl fhtagn!