New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Darths & Droids IV: Not in Numerical Order

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Don't we already know what Corey's campaign was?

Spoiler
    Show

Rogue One?
    That was before Corey joined the group at all.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Ok, quickie time: Without any spoilers, without any reference to the dialog, what was your reaction to the visuals of Finn's helmet coming off?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    "Huh, they have faces now."
    Pretty much this.
    I mean, there's someone with a face under it and that's it. Finn not having a face would've been more surprising.
    And kind of concerning.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Guess they're not all Jango anymore"

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morquard View Post
    "Guess they're not all Jango anymore"
    Yes, but we knew before Disney that not all the troopers are clones, so that wasn't too much of a surprise either.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Ok, quickie time: Without any spoilers, without any reference to the dialog, what was your reaction to the visuals of Finn's helmet coming off?
    Not much really, since the trailers had already spoiled that pretty thoroughly for me

edit: and as for them not being all clones anymore, from what I remember of that discussion around the time the movie came out (which I suppose isn't spoilery anymore, as Keybounce saw him without the helmet), wasn't that fact established by the OT itself? Because there's something in A New Hope (which I don't recall from the movie, just from the discussion) about how Luke was thinking about becoming a Stormtrooper before Ben showed up and all? So, by that point in the timeline, at least a significant portion of the Stormtroopers, perhaps all of them, are conscripts rather than clones.
    Last edited by SirKazum; 2020-06-12 at 08:44 AM.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    Not much really, since the trailers had already spoiled that pretty thoroughly for me

edit: and as for them not being all clones anymore, from what I remember of that discussion around the time the movie came out (which I suppose isn't spoilery anymore, as Keybounce saw him without the helmet), wasn't that fact established by the OT itself? Because there's something in A New Hope (which I don't recall from the movie, just from the discussion) about how Luke was thinking about becoming a Stormtrooper before Ben showed up and all? So, by that point in the timeline, at least a significant portion of the Stormtroopers, perhaps all of them, are conscripts rather than clones.
    Luke wanted to join the Academy, supposedly to become a TIE pilot.

And no, its never addressed at all in the OT, because I bet back then it wasn't even a possible possibility that the Stormtroopers came from the Clonetroopers. I bet "Clone wars" was just a term, and even Lucas had no idea what it meant. But you're right, by that time likely most of them were conscripts, which is something you can extrapolate by the time between RotS and ANH and that the clones are aging much faster than humans, but it was never stated in a movie.
    It was later shown in the Rebels TV series, where they meet Rex and two other clones in 1 or 2 BBY and they all look to be in their 60s.

7. - Top - End - #667

PirateGuy

Luke wanted to join the Academy, supposedly to become a TIE pilot.
    Okay, that makes a lot more sense, yeah. Since that factoid came up when discussing Finn not being a Jango clone, I guess whoever was involved in it seriously misremembered the movie, and I didn't remember it well enough myself to mentally correct it

And sure, things were a lot fuzzier during the OT's inception, so I bet Lucas and co. didn't give the Stormtroopers much thought beyond "they're sci-fi Space Nazi footmen" when the first movie was made. I just thought a throwaway detail in it might have set a canon that contradicts the notion of clones lasting into the OT era. Well, same results anyway.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SirKazum View Post
    It was also pretty much impossible to avoid the internet discussions about John Boyega being in the movie. The casting for TFA made quite a big splash at the time, particularly since they were using relatively unknown actors for some of the roles.

Whatever else one may say about the movies, I think they got the casting spot on.

9. - Top - End - #669

BlackDragon

It was also pretty much impossible to avoid the internet discussions about John Boyega being in the movie. The casting for TFA made quite a big splash at the time, particularly since they were using relatively unknown actors for some of the roles.
    I managed.

I know nothing about the cast. I think they got a female to play the big bad, but that's all. (Thought it was Rey, but it's Ren. Go figure.)

Ok, time to write up my reaction to that helmet coming off then.
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Yes, but we knew before Disney that not all the troopers are clones, so that wasn't too much of a surprise either.
    I didn't know that not all stormtroopers were clones until TFA was released (I heard from discussions years before I watched it).

I did know who played Kylo Ren, because I saw the SNL sketch in which
    Spoiler: TFA casting and a bit of plot
    Show
    Adam Driver played Kylo. The premise of the sketch was a mockumentary in which Kylo Ren disguised himself as an intern on the Starkiller Base, so that he could find out what his employees thought about him (an "undercover boss.") Unfortunately for Kylo Ren, he wasn't very good at concealing his identity.

In 2020 he came back and did a follow-up sketch set after the events of TLJ.

And I enjoyed those two SNL sketches more than episodes VII or IX.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I managed.

I know nothing about the cast. I think they got a female to play the big bad, but that's all. (Thought it was Rey, but it's Ren. Go figure.)
    Aahh so close... :D

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I managed.

Ok, time to write up my reaction to that helmet coming off then.
    I'm very impressed. I'm certain I would have picked up the core cast from trailers being shown when I was in the movie theater, or from the actors being interviewed on late night talk shows. Even if I were trying to intentionally avoid it, Star Wars leaves such a big culture splash that I would be seeing stuff everywhere. It's like not knowing Game of Thrones has dragons in it.

Heck, I know a basic plot outline of the Mandalorian despite never having seen it. The memes are pervasive.

On the other hand, I'm reminded of the time I visited my sister and she made a "What does the fox say?" joke. That video completely passed me by and she thought I was pulling her leg when I didn't get the joke. It sparked a major argument about how I must be living my life wrong if nobody in my social circle had watched a music video.

Spoiler: TFA Casting
    Show
    And now I'm very glad I was extra vague in my mention of the casting! I thought Daisy Ridley being the star was universally known in the same way everyone knows Daniel Craig is the current Bond.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I did know who played Kylo Ren,
    But Keybounce was asking about Finn. Kylo Ren doesn't remove his helmet until later in the movie. At this point Keybounce doesn't yet know that Kylo Ren is not a naga robot clone of Nute Gunray. (This confused me as well at first.)

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: QUOTE from Jonas
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    But Keybounce was asking about Finn. Kylo Ren doesn't remove his helmet until later in the movie. At this point Keybounce doesn't yet know that Kylo Ren is not a naga robot clone of Nute Gunray. (This confused me as well at first.)

Hey, spoiler this! That's a major twist subversion they might keep!
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

15. - Top - End - #675

Not directly relevant to Darth & Droids, but I caught up on Irregular Webcomic and have to say DMM's report on his injury was daunting.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Not directly relevant to Darth & Droids, but I caught up on Irregular Webcomic and have to say DMM's report on his injury was daunting.
    Yeah, it was pretty nasty. Recovering okay at the moment. I just took the final hospital dressing off, and the scar actually doesn't look as bad as I thought it might. Still hurts - it'll probably take a few weeks for the bruising and pain to go away fully.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Halfling in the Playground

Oh, hey memnarch! The commentator gang's all here, apparently. I think this thread is usually pretty good about spoilers, since Keybounce is here as well. But, as we've seen, it's not always perfect. I hope you can stick around, but I also understand if you want to be extra-guarded.

I miss a lot of movies too, so I've pretty much accepted that I probably won't be able to guess Corey's game. I'll take my audience enjoyment from watching other people try to suss it out in the forums.

Keybounce, I didn't follow the promotional stuff very closely before VII came out nor (as stated) do I see a lot of movies in the theater...but I do follow a lot of blogs that take an interest in social issues within geek culture, so I was unable to avoid learning about Boyega's casting. So I can't help you either, I'm afraid, with what my unspoiled reaction to that scene was: I didn't get one. I really enjoyed reading about yours, though. Insidious how those assumptions creep into our minds, isn't it?

Yikes! Since I don't follow Irregular, I didn't know about DMM's injury, but I just went to take a look. That sounds really nasty, DMM. I'm glad to hear you're healing up okay, and I hope the pain subsides at a rapid pace. I know it can be hard to ignore hand sensations - our big dumb brains pay a lot of attention to nerve signals coming from that area, even when we try to convince them to stop.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So Phasma's female cause Annie says so?
    By now the DM should be used to the players taking over the world building.

And Finn basically assigns himself a infiltration mission.
    Again with the players doing what they want.
    Clever though. The party has to come together someway.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

19. - Top - End - #679
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: TFA
    Show
    So instead of Finn "rescuing" Poe, they will both leave together on an infiltration mission, get separated, and then probably Finn will try to recruit Rey into the First Order.

20. - Top - End - #680

For those who don't know, the Second Reich is Prussia from roughly the Silesian Wars during the reign of Frederick the Great through Imperial Germany's collapse at the end of WWI and the abdication of Kaiser Wilhelm II. The Nazis were the Third Reich, the First was Charlemagne.

21. - Top - End - #681

BlackDragon

So the Second Reich includes The Red Barron and the air wars?

... Will need to find SOME way to work that into a future annotation.

Meanwhile: I have seen Pete's character
    Spoiler
    Show

Seriously.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ok, so white robes, going through a Star Destroyer, seeming to know exactly where to look in said Star Destroyer. What's the standard RPG will? "I leave everything to my next character"? Pete lost a Star Destroyer, and is now salvaging one.

Oh, and there is BOTH a "Rey" and a "Ren". Joy. Now, which spoilers did I hear about for which character?

GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

22. - Top - End - #682

Technically, they already had a Red Baron analogue back in the day. Baron Soontir Fel of His Imperial Majesty's 181st Fighter Group. So good a pilot he could beat Vader in sims. Trained several of Rogue Squadron's best before they defected. Also Wedge Antilles' brother-in-law.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Titan in the Playground

Meanwhile: I have seen Pete's character
    Spoiler
    Show

Seriously.
    Spoiler
    Show

Ok, so white robes, going through a Star Destroyer, seeming to know exactly where to look in said Star Destroyer. What's the standard RPG will? "I leave everything to my next character"? Pete lost a Star Destroyer, and is now salvaging one.

Oh, and there is BOTH a "Rey" and a "Ren". Joy. Now, which spoilers did I hear about for which character?

Spoiler: D&D spoilers courtesy of Keybounce
    Show
    Yes! I had both predicted and was hoping for this to be Pete's character.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

24. - Top - End - #684

BlackDragon

Have we seen any indication of nuclear power here? Have we seen any indication of "modern, high-tech power" in this universe without paper?

(Yes, I recall DMM's napkin calculations of one star destroyer of wood per minute for Coruscant.)

25. - Top - End - #685
    Pixie in the Playground

With spoilers going both ways, be very careful everyone! Do not assume that Keybounce/memnarch know something about the movie just because they've seen the next strip or two in advance.

Also, Keybounce/memnarch: what's obvious to you from seeing a strip in advance may be something utterly surprising to people familiar with the movie.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Halfling in the Playground

Okay for Keybounce to read, but spoilers for near-future D&D:

Spoiler
    Show
    I am devastated that Keybounce's confusion over Ren/Rey has to come to an end so soon! I mean, I suppose it couldn't have lasted all that much longer, but I'd really been enjoying it, and remain so impressed that he managed to stay that unspoiled.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For those who don't know, the Second Reich is Prussia from roughly the Silesian Wars during the reign of Frederick the Great through Imperial Germany's collapse at the end of WWI and the abdication of Kaiser Wilhelm II. The Nazis were the Third Reich, the First was Charlemagne.
    a) These terms were coined by the Nazis in the 1920 to retroactively establish their "Third Reich" (also a term coined by them) as a legitimate successor state to those, so the use of either of those names is problematic, when referring to those eras.
    b) You're wrong. The "First Reich" in those terms would describe the Holy Roman Empire (lasting from around 800 to 1806), and the Second Reich is the German Empire from the Unification in 1871 to 1918.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Colossus in the Playground

Technically, they already had a Red Baron analogue back in the day. Baron Soontir Fel of His Imperial Majesty's 181st Fighter Group. So good a pilot he could beat Vader in sims. Trained several of Rogue Squadron's best before they defected. Also Wedge Antilles' brother-in-law.
    He was such a success that several more Red Baron analogues were created - Countess Iran Ryad, who flew a red TIE Defender (Starships of the Galaxy 2001 web enhancement)

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Red_Star_1

Tofen Vane, whose deceased father was a Viscount, and who flew a red Tempest Zero (TCW Hero of the Confederacy comics)

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Tempest_Zero

and Baron Elrik Vonreg, who flew a "TIE-Baron" (Star Wars Resistance)

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/TIE...ty_Interceptor
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

29. - Top - End - #689

a) These terms were coined by the Nazis in the 1920 to retroactively establish their "Third Reich" (also a term coined by them) as a legitimate successor state to those, so the use of either of those names is problematic, when referring to those eras.
    b) You're wrong. The "First Reich" in those terms would describe the Holy Roman Empire (lasting from around 800 to 1806), and the Second Reich is the German Empire from the Unification in 1871 to 1918.
    The Nazis didn't count the HRE as anything. It was generally run by the wrong country (Austria) and received its legitimacy from being crowned by a foreign power (the Pope). Neither works with German Nationalism.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Wow this seems like a wildly unsafe topic to be discussing. I vote we talk about something else instead! Like how half the group seems to have decided to play villains this time without telling anybody else. How did that happen? Was there no session 0 for these characters?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”