New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XVIII: Affordable Misdeeds and Friendly Canines

[Workshop]

"Yep." Chidi nods in the affirmative. "So, more like an adventuring group, then. Younger siblings... I take it you have a lot of siblings?" He asks after listening to her. He picks up the plastic tube and looks at it, then discards it. "I'm glad I joined the military, though my main reason for joining up in the first place was so I could help my mother... she had me when she was a teenager, you see."

He takes a deep breath, thinking of his dear mother. "Bioware's biological augmentations, as opposed to cyberware's technological augmentations. For instance, cyberware can grant you stronger limbs, bioware can do the same without needing cybernetics... but standard injectors don't last for more than 4 months."
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

[Workshop]

"I have six siblings. Zaalmin, Kuvesh, Luuvat and I are quadruplets. The other three are triplets." She pauses. "This might sound like a lot for humans, but is perfectly normal for us. Bioware sounds interesting, but that's not really what I'm after. Temporarily boosting your capabilities isn't quite the same as making yourself better and closer to the machine." She says it with... something very much like religious reverence.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Ogre in the Playground

[Main Room - Larza]

Larza grins at the good news! This had gone very well.

Easier than expected, really. Were all the ORGS like this? Easy money, then!

She clambers onto her feet before stuffing her coins back into one of her many pockets. The colorful goblin skips excitedly on towards Dipsnig. "Git it, gaffer. Am ah suppose tae sign stuff or something? Whit's th' muckle plan, huh?"

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Titan in the Playground

[Main Room - Larza]

"We do, yes. Our magically-binding contract." Dipsnig will lead Larza back to the desk, where he opens a safe and procures one such contract. It stipulates that Larza will not:

1) Work with slavers

2) Work with KABAL

3) Intentionally use lethal force against other members

4) Tamper with MERC security measures

5) Disclose confidential information, that is to say contracts, passwords and security information outside of MERC.

"Just sign on the bottom. The contract is enchanted, so if you were to break one of those conditions, we will know."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Pixie in the Playground

[Workshop]

"Ah, so goblins get born in batches." Chidi nods in understanding. Like a litter, but for sapient beings.

He picks up on the way she says her last sentence, and peers curiously at her. "Wait, do you worship tech?" He says it in a way that hints at understanding her feelings... not to the level of worshipping tech, though.
    Love is the message.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Titan in the Playground

[Workshop]

"Born in batches? That's one way to put it." Olvisin seems amused by his description. "Well, yeah. I do. Sort of. Where I come from it's the dominant religion. 'Spirit in gears'. The intelligence pervading all technology. My siblings and I have some views that might be deemed a tiny bit... unorthodox. But we share the idea that technology is more than just a tool."

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Ogre in the Playground

[Main Room - Larza]

Hm, this contract was unexpected. Just another hurdle to leap!

Ultimately, Larza was unconcerned. Eventually, MERC would know that she had betrayed them.

As such, this wasn't much of an obstacle. It just meant that she'd have to be careful in transferring information to her allies. She'll quietly sign the thing before beaming a smile at Dipsnig. "A'richt, gaffer. Noo whit?"

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    [Main Office - Cornbread]

Dr. Valiance finds this whole situation really funny.

Just some of the funniest stuff he'd heard in some time. Now the pig was making pork jokes.

Man, it just doesn't get better than this. What a life to be living. He'll burst out laughing at Sam's joke, continuing to laugh until long after it was acceptable. Once he's done, he actually responds. "Oh man, that's just... ha! Won't do pork. Hell yeah, that's cool with me, soul brother."

"Uhh, what do you... wanna make?"
    He hadn't thought about this.
    [Main Office - Cornbread

Sam scowls. "It's really not that funny." he mumbles.
    "Well, if you just want party food, I can easily just get the fryer out, make some chicken and beef, get the heavy sauce and the toothpicks. Sandwiches, parmigiana, that sort of thing is usually what I'd do for catering."
    Sam actually seems to get a lot of jobs for very classy restaurants or venues. But he feels like that's not what's being asked for here.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Titan in the Playground

[Main Room - Larza]

She was quick and confident in signing the contract. Either Dipsnig's suspicions are unwarranted or she has a plan for that.

"You're a member of MERC now. You can take out contracts, but you also need to be ready to be contacted by me, Kirk or Dena should MERC require your expertise."

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Ogre in the Playground

[Main Room - Larza]

Larza simply grins, clearly unbothered with this.

"Soonds guid tae me, gaffer!"

Dr. Valiance tries and fails to quell his laughter.

Man, that was just so funny. The kind of phrase you can only hear in the city.

This party food thing sounds perfect, Val was a fan of both food and parties after all. "Sandwiches? Oh man, do you mean like the really small ones?"

"That's fancy as hell."
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-09-08 at 12:37 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1451
    Pixie in the Playground

[Workshop]

"Sorry, that came out wrong." Chidi apologizes a little sheepishly, but is glad she's amused rather than offended.

By the time she's done giving a basic description of her religion, however, he's nodding. "Where I come from, the dominant religion is worship of the almighty being that created us: Kazela. We're made completely biological, and augment ourselves with a naturally-occuring metal that 'interfaces' with our bodies, perfect for use in augmentation... or so I thought before we came here. Turns out we're born with some sort of digital organic nanites... does that count?" He has more to say on the subject if she asks.
    Love is the message.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

[Workshop]

Olvisin's ears perk up in mixed surprise and curiosity.

"Your deity created you to be receptive to technology? That's pretty amazing. I'm not sure what the priests of the Spirit in Gears would say to that. They say it didn't create us, just chose us for our mastery of technology."

[Main Room - Larza]

"Good to have you aboard, Miss Larza." Dipsnig is a picture of polite professionalism as he holds out his hand to shake. "I look forward to seeing what you add to our organization."

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ogre in the Playground

[Main Room - Larza]

Larza grins and shakes his hand.

It's not a pleasant shake, as for some reason, her hand is sticky.

14. - Top - End - #1454
    Pixie in the Playground

[Workshop]

Chidi nods. "It certainly seems so. I never thought that was anything special, it's the norm where I'm from, after all. After spending some time here, short as it is, I get the feeling that's not 'normal' for everyone else." He grins and shrugs in a manner that says 'what you gonna do?'. "It's rather cool to learn that by the standards of everyone else, you're essentially part-machine, though. We've always been, as you put it, close to the machine, however... it's just an extension of flesh to us."

The spirit of Gears, eh? Now, that piques his interest. "In my world, digital energy is another name for spiritual energy... this Spirit of Gears you're talking about interests me. Could it want you to be receptive to technology, as well? Perhaps it's truly fate that we met... tell me more of the Spirit of Gears, and I'll tell you more of our deity."
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2020-09-05 at 02:49 PM.
    Love is the message.

15. - Top - End - #1455
    Titan in the Playground

[Workshop]

Olvisin scratches her ear. Where to begin? She's never really explained it to an outsider before.

"The Spirit in Gears isn't someone or something, but it's also not nothing." She sounds like she's reciting a scripture. "It's a force that exists in all things hand-made. It waited for the first mortal creatures to fashion tools and has been watching us since we first sharpened a stick to hunt with. Or... it was born when the first mortals fashioned the first tools. There's some disagreement on this point and the scriptures aren't clear. But regardless of that, the Spirit in Gears wants us to create more worthy vessels for it. By creating and advancing technology."

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Ogre in the Playground

Main Office- Cornbread

Sam scratches his chin.
    ”Well usually you just make a big one and chop it into segments but sure man, it’s your party.” Sam has the amazing ability to shrug twice at the same time.

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Pixie in the Playground

[Workshop]

"Hmm... I think I see..." Chidi doesn't get it, though. It sounds like they've deified technology itself, to him. "So, you believe the Spirit in Gears inhabits the tools you make or use?"

It's also probably his turn. "Kazela created our world and everything in it. I'm not very religious as such, myself, so I couldn't tell you how we worship, but I know technology's just one main aspect of things. I can tell you that our technological augments are regarded as biomachines. Even if the metal exists outside our bodies, the fact that it grows and can be found in our organite cells is what makes it an extension of our bodies."

He looks at his hand. "I've been thinking, though: I look at the basic Nexus human, and to them I'm like some human alien. Different eyes, receptive to technological augments, natural nanites in the form of digital organite blood cells, slightly enhanced attributes... It's easy to feel like you're nothing special, until you learn that your species is unique. That's pretty darn cool. Know what I mean?" She might agree, if she can relate.
    Love is the message.

18. - Top - End - #1458
    Titan in the Playground

[Workshop]

Olvisin nods. She can tell Chidi doesn't quite get it and isn't surprised. His own religion seems fundamentally different.

"Yes. Or it is every tool we make or use. Either way, by becoming enhanced with cybernetics, I become one with the Spirit in Gears! That's why my siblings and I are so interested in it." She tilts her head. "I think I do. Goblins are pretty common, though. Even if some of them look different than we do. Like being green."

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Ogre in the Playground

[Main Room - Larza]

Larza grins after the handshake.

Then, however, an idea pops into her head.

"Uh, hauld yer horses juist a seicont, gaffer." She rubs her hands together. "Whit if ah hae a jab a'm waantin' dane? Kin ah aye, ye ken, pay?"

Dr. Valiance is baffled, awe-struck by this idea.

Just one really long sandwich? That was incredible. "Okay, so. Consider this, uhh - professional curiosity. How big... you know."

20. - Top - End - #1460
    Pixie in the Playground

[Workshop]

"That makes sense. You'll get your wish soon enough, Olvisin." Chidi nods, at least understanding her reason for wanting cybernetic upgrades a lot better.

He nods with a smile when she responds to his thoughts. "You get it! Humans are pretty common as well, despite some types looking different, my kind for instance."

"So, what design would you like? You'd also need to afford it." Chidi asks, pointing out the price factor.
    Love is the message.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Titan in the Playground

[Main Room - Larza]

She has a job for them? Interesting.

"You can hire other members of MERC for a job. As long as it meets our standards. What's the job?"

[Workshop]

Olvisin opens her mouth and her ears dip visibly. Seems she got so caught up in the excitement of cybernetics that she forgot they cost money.

"Uh, yeah. That's the big question. I don't know how much cybernetics actually cost. I'd like something sleek and light, I guess. I will still need to work with machinery and medicine and shoot guns."

22. - Top - End - #1462
    Ogre in the Playground

[Main Room - Larza]

Larza flashes a wicked, toothy grin.

She was not expecting this to be as easy as it was, really.

"Weel, thir's someone ah ken. A've bin wronged, is a' - 'n' a'm waantin' someone tae teach her a lesson, ye see."

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Pixie in the Playground

[Workshop]

"Don't worry, Olvisin." Chidi says, moved by her mood change. "If you can afford a laptop, TV or even a car, you can afford one. I could put in a good word for you, but even then you'd have to save up some of your pay." He gives her a smile, aiming to lift her spirits.

He's decided that he likes her as a person. She's friendly, likes guns and tech; there's a lot to like! "We should be friends, Olvi. Can I call you Olvi?" Though, Chidi being Chidi, he gives her a quick once-over to gauge how attractive she is.
    Love is the message.

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Titan in the Playground

[Main Room - Larza]

Dipsnig doesn't manage to suppress a sigh. Right, he should have expected that. Let's get this over with.

"Who is this person, what have they done and what would you want done to them?"

He doesn't expect the answer to change his mind, but he still feels like he has to ask.

[Workshop]

Olvisin laughs. It puts her rather long and sharp teeth on display far more than she she talks.

"I've never been called Olvi, but sure, friend. I don't think your name is one that can be shortened much, though."

25. - Top - End - #1465
    Ogre in the Playground

[Main Office- Cornbread]

Sam raises an eyebrow. Has this guy never seen a catering sandwich before? He seems like a generally modern guy. And he’s a scientist?
    ”Oh, you know. Big enough that you can cut it into a bunch of normal-sized sandwiches. For twelve or so? Probably would need at least two.”

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Ogre in the Playground

[Main Office- Cornbread]

The man is just stunned. Bewildered.

This information was somehow very important, he just knew it.

How had he never heard of something like this? "Well, damn!" he exclaims. "We definitely need one of those. Two maybe. Hey, so uhh - what's the biggest you've ever, well, you know?" Dr. Valiance's face twitches as he mimes out a massive sandwich. It's probably not a very coherent gesture.

He was still very much out of it, and his enthusiasm was only making it harder for him to focus.

[Main Room - Larza]

Larza seems unconcerned with his reaction.

There were alternatives on the market, after all - this was just convenient.

The horrible little creature cracks her knuckles as she responds. "Weel, ye see, sur," she hisses, "nasty, no-nice girlie did me wrong, 'n' noo it's aboot time she git whit's comin' tae her!" Her strange, catlike eyes narrow. "Ah dinnae want ye tae murdurr her or nothing. Juist raucle her mucksome face up a tad, gaffer."

"Wilnae be cheapsome aboot it, na. Loads o' dosh. Ah even ken whaur she'll be!"

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Titan in the Playground

[Main Room - Larza]

Dipsnig finds himself unsurprised. Well, time to nip it in the bud; this doesn't sound like something he wants MERC associated with. And who offers a hefty sum just for roughing someone up?

"This job doesn't really meet our standards. If you want to settle a score, I'm afraid you'll have to do it on your own time."
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-09-15 at 02:38 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1468
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    [Main Office- Cornbread]

The man is just stunned. Bewildered.

This information was somehow very important, he just knew it.

How had he never heard of something like this? "Well, damn!" he exclaims. "We definitely need one of those. Two maybe. Hey, so uhh - what's the biggest you've ever, well, you know?" Dr. Valiance's face twitches as he mimes out a massive sandwich. It's probably not a very coherent gesture.

He was still very much out of it, and his enthusiasm was only making it harder for him to focus.
    Main Office- Cornbread

"Ten servings." Sam says, holding up three hands and one finger after pausing just for a second, as if trying to make sure he got the gesture right.
    Because he has. It took him ages to remember one hand isn't five anymore.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [[Workshop]

Olvisin laughs. It puts her rather long and sharp teeth on display far more than she she talks.

"I've never been called Olvi, but sure, friend. I don't think your name is one that can be shortened much, though."
    [Workshop]

Olvisin laughs. Mission accomplished!

"Oh, Chidi's the abbreviated form of Chidiebere, it's my full name." The merc corrects, grinning to reveal that his teeth are slightly pearlescent. "Good to meet you, I must say. I know you have a team and all, but I think it'd be rather nice if we could go on a mission together, Olvi, see if we get along as well on the field as we seem to off it. You'd be the mid-range shooter and I'd provide you overwatch from a high vantage point."
    Love is the message.

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Titan in the Playground

[Workshop]

Olvisin's ears perk up.

"That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I mean, I work well with my siblings, but sometimes we need to get away from each other. If we spend too much time stuck together, chaos starts reigning."