New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Just a thought.. probably illegal..

If I summon a monster that can swallow whole, it eats my enemy, then I dismiss the summons... what happens to the enemy inside?
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Just a thought.. probably illegal..

Assuming you're enemy's not dead...I'd have to say that your enemy goes back to wherever you summoned the monster from.
    Muahahahahhahaha!!!

Many thanks to Threeshades for the wicked Avatar! You deserve many, many cookies.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drinks! Everything about drinking the PHB never told you.
    Ring of Flight A new item to enable a new race of celestials. Use for campaign fodder as necessary.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The universe implodes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

tongue Re: Just a thought.. probably illegal..

They fall from the position that the specific portion of the creatures digestive system that they were in was at the time, and land prone, possibly dazed or stunned. Nothing of the creature remains (including any digestive juices). Any bits of the character that have managed to come loose inside the digestive system also stay, raining down in the same manner as the character. Any parts that have already been digested do not stay; rather they go with the creature.
    Last edited by martyboy74; 2007-08-28 at 08:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Is there anything in the rules to support that? I believe that to be the case when a person is _on_ an enemy but _in_ them? I'm going to have to agree with the first response.
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    Is there anything in the rules to support that? I believe that to be the case when a person is _on_ an enemy but _in_ them? I'm going to have to agree with the first response.
    It is matter of this plane until it has been incorporated into the summoned creature (i.e., digested). When the creature is dismissed it goes back, along with any of its body parts that may have been lost.

Also, do you really want to turn Summon Monster into Plane Shift? Because characters will exploit any available mechanic.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

As I recall, anything you give a summoned creature stays behind. Unless the creature can planeshift others, the swallowed individual would not go with them.

8. - Top - End - #8

I would assume it would go back with the summon creature, based on the Special Mount feature of the Paladin. The Special Mount will return to it's homeplane with whatever equipment is given to it by the Paladin, and will return to the material plane with said equipment. That said, when a creature is eaten by a summoned creature, I'd treat him as equipment for the character.

Now, speaking of illegal, would cocaine and heroin fed to a summoned creature go with it back to it's home plane? That's a more practical question, after all.
    If there's a rule, there's someone out there trying to figure out how to get around it just to piss off his DM.

Spoiler
    Show
    - The Jack-signal. Thanks Jokes!

Avatar created by Yeril, who made it look awesome.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by JackMage666 View Post
    I would assume it would go back with the summon creature, based on the Special Mount feature of the Paladin. The Special Mount will return to it's homeplane with whatever equipment is given to it by the Paladin, and will return to the material plane with said equipment.
    That is specified by the Paladin's Special Mount feature, and thus ranges from irrelevant to proving my point (because only exceptions are specifically mentioned).
    Last edited by martyboy74; 2007-08-28 at 08:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The paladin's special mount is a calling effect, not summoning. What happens to things given to the creature is one of the crucial differences between these types of effects, and I would rule that the same difference applies to anything inside the creature that wasn't there when it was initially summoned.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Summoned creatures don't take back with them anything you give then here. Other creatures included.
    Join the BARD DEFENSE LEAGUE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    "No, that spell is designed to summon cupcakes for you to eat. You can't create it inside your enemy's brain."

12. - Top - End - #12

MindFlayer

Logically anything consumed would return, since I can't think of a single instance where a part of a creature is planeshifted, but not the whole. If you allow the creature to return without the contents of its stomach, I see no reason why a clever player couldn't planeshift an opponents head, instantly killing them.
    Balance wise, it would be best to have the person stay. This is obvious, and I don't feel like reiterating the arguments already posted here.
    Another option would be to not allow the summoned creature to return when it has someone inside it. Logically this works out fine, since you could argue that the spell only has enough magic energy to transport the creature, thus the presence of alien matter functions as an anchor. THis could be an interesting turn, since the characters would then have to face off against an angry and uncontrolled monster, after already having been weakened by whatever it swallowed.

Ultimately the choice is yours whether you allow swallowed creatures to be planeshifted. If you have a group of munchkins, then no, the contents of the creature's stomach inexplicably empty, and the creature vanishes as normal. If, however, you have a solid group of roleplayers who you can depend upon to not abuse the rules, then go for it, and maintain the logical consistency.
    Billy was a chemist's son,
    Now Billy is no more.
    What Billy thought was H2O
    Was H2SO4

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

The summoned creature would return to it's home plane, and the creature in it's stomach would be left behind. A summon spell is not a teleportation spell, and it's effects are very temporary (for example, they creature reforms if it dies, and it's spells end immediatly after the summoned creature leaves.), thus it stands to reason that aside from physical side effects of it's actions (such as damage), nothing remains of the summoned creature when it leaves, and that the creature in it's stomach would be, barring damage, be harmlessly left in the material plane(though if the creature was airborn problums could ensue).

If it was a calling spell the siutation would be completely different.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

14. - Top - End - #14

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    The summoned creature would return to it's home plane, and the creature in it's stomach would be left behind. A summon spell is not a teleportation spell, and it's effects are very temporary (for example, they creature reforms if it dies, and it's spells end immediatly after the summoned creature leaves.), thus it stands to reason that aside from physical side effects of it's actions (such as damage), nothing remains of the summoned creature when it leaves, and that the creature in it's stomach would be, barring damage, be harmlessly left in the material plane(though if the creature was airborn problums could ensue).

Are there any summonable creatures that can fly/levitate and have swallow whole?

Also, if they went too far it would end the spell, correct?
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    it stands to reason that aside from physical side effects of it's actions (such as damage), nothing remains of the summoned creature when it leaves, and that the creature in it's stomach would be, barring damage, be harmlessly left in the material plane(though if the creature was airborn problums could ensue).

I can see him being "dropped" into real space. However, I don't think he'd be fine, after all, it would have been (literally) drowning in gastric juices and being crushed by "grappling damage" from internal muscles. If it was long enough, he'd still be dead.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

16. - Top - End - #16

Yes, but that's the case for any swallow whole attack. Depending on how long he's in there, he might make it, just as he might make it long enough to cut his way out.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BardicDuelist View Post
    The range and line of effect requirement is for when you summon the creature. After it has been summoned it does not matter if line of effect is broken or the range exceeded.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

18. - Top - End - #18

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    The range and line of effect requirement is for when you summon the creature. After it has been summoned it does not matter if line of effect is broken or the range exceeded.
    Did not know that. I guess you do learn somthing new everyday.
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

19. - Top - End - #19

That reminds me of the Schrödinger's rogue.

A Wizard polymorphs into a purple worm, and eats the party rogue. The wizard then dismisses the polymorph spell. Where is the rogue?
    Member of a fanclub.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skyserpent View Post
    That reminds me of the Schrödinger's rogue.

A Wizard polymorphs into a purple worm, and eats the party rogue. The wizard then dismisses the polymorph spell. Where is the rogue?
    I know this one.

In the Wizard's thigh. Roll 1d2 to determine if it is the left or the right.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

nahh, he is on the ground besides the wizard, the duration of polymorp isnt long enough to digest somebody
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

22. - Top - End - #22

I'm personally a fan of the extremely urgent trip to the nearest bathroom.
    Member of a fanclub.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Regarding Schrödingers rogue, I'd say that the wizard explodifies messily... the rogue would be standing in the bloody remains of the wizard, probably bruized and dazed, but otherwise no worse for the wear (although obviously, he'd have taken eating damage from the time spent in the worm-wizards stomach).

As for the OP, I'd also say that the rogue just drops to the floor - the creature goes back to whereever it came from, along with whatever else it had with it, including what already was in its stomach, and leaves behind everything it picked up during the spell, including whatever had gotten in its belly.

The enemy would have taken eating damage from being inside the stomach as long as the spell lasted, and could probably urgently use a bath, but otherwise, the effect would be the same as if he had cut his way out.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by BardicDuelist View Post
    Are there any summonable creatures that can fly/levitate and have swallow whole?

They don't need to be able to fly; most stomachs aren't directly on the ground.

For that matter, how many summonable creatures have Swallow Whole?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Schrödinger's rogue: Rogue gets a Fort save or dies. Nothing short of a nine lives effect will help, nothing short of a wish will resurrect. All magical and/or extraplanar items are expurged outside. Spell resistance applies.

If he makes the save (or resists), he is expurged outside, Dazed for 1d6 rounds (no save).

Things like Dire/Huge Sharks can swallow hole. Elementals gan engulf. Command an earth elemental to Engulf, then sink into the stone. Instant crushing death.
    A bard, eh? What's your saving throw against things that don't get a saving throw?
    "Mourn if you must, but mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don."
    "Trollocs coming! Up axes and clear the fields! Trollocs coming!"

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by RoboticSheeple View Post
    Paint the chromatic dragons.
    I no longer post here due to moderator bias.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

The rogue question raises another: if a character is swallowed whole, but is only one size category smaller than that of the swallowing monster's capability, what would an application of 'enlarge person' do?
    "78% of DM's admit to having started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that hasn't yet, stop fibbing."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Thou hast exploded mine brain.
    Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Oh, I can't wait to start racking up the XP for you smelly apes.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ralfarius View Post
    The rogue question raises another: if a character is swallowed whole, but is only one size category smaller than that of the swallowing monster's capability, what would an application of 'enlarge person' do?
    He'd get a Strength check to break out of his confinement (I suppose you could figure out the break DC of a living creature, but you may just give him an extra Grapple check to get vomited out). Failure means he grows as much as he can and stops unharmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If I summon a monster that can swallow whole, it eats my enemy, then I dismiss the summons... what happens to the enemy inside?
    Most summonings are in rounds. Unless it is a very extended "Summoning" like several hours to a day your enemy will be left behind when your summoned monsters is dismissed with a good chance of still being alive but worse for the experience if he was simply swallowed whole.

What monster are you considering? Something like the Fiendish Tyrannosaurus?
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2007-08-29 at 11:58 AM.