New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Default Con Modifier to Damage?

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone could help me if they knew a way to add ones Constitution modifier to damage on a regular basis (IE not X times a day, but every attack.) I checked x stat to y bonus, but all they had was a particular special weapon (not even weapon property.)

If there is something that you know of please let me know.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Con Modifier to Damage?

CON MOD to damage? What are you going to do, be so ridiculously healthy that you outlive the guy?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by elliott20 View Post
    CON MOD to damage? What are you going to do, be so ridiculously healthy that you outlive the guy?
    Obviously, your immune system is SO powerful it can project itself outside your body.

"I cast Summon Swarm (White Blood Cells)!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, it's a little round-about, but if you get a natural poison attack, the save is Con-based, so that's sort of like Con-bonus to damage, right?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"aww man I hope that's really just white blood cells"

6. - Top - End - #6

SamuraiGuy

The problem with that, is that (personally, at least) I can't think of a fluff reason why it would ever occur.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Well, it's a little round-about, but if you get a natural poison attack, the save is Con-based, so that's sort of like Con-bonus to damage, right?
    It is round about, and not at all what I am looking for. Thank you very much. The thing is this is for a character with something like straight 14s for stats, and I can get every other stat on damage. So I'm looking for Con to perfect the character.

EDIT @goat: indeed. Neither can I, except that WotC sometimes comes up with crazy fluff that I would never have thought of. For example, I know there is a Weapon that does it, but it is a specific Hammer. And as part of getting dex to damage I can't be using a Hammer.
    Last edited by Kaelik; 2007-08-30 at 02:00 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

To get a Dwarven Defender, steadfast Determination feat & (Con to damage) build of course.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelik View Post
    It is round about, and not at all what I am looking for. Thank you very much. The thing is this is for a character with something like straight 14s for stats, and I can get every other stat on damage. So I'm looking for Con to perfect the character.
    You could do it with Insightful Strike from the Tome of Battle, which lets you replace an attack with a concentration check. Not EXACTLY what you're looking for, but closer than a DC increase for poison.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Page 66 of Magic of Rokugan has the Mountain of Earth, which applies Con to damage.

This thread offers the most complete list I've seen of ability modifiers applied to various bonuses.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Falrin View Post
    To get a Dwarven Defender, steadfast Determination feat & (Con to damage) build of course.
    What's this? Can that happen? Or are you just pointing out a way that this could be used effectively?

EDIT: I would count those Concentration checks except that aren't they limited in uses per day?

And I know of the Hammer, I believe I specifically mentioned that thread.
    Last edited by Kaelik; 2007-08-30 at 02:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The diamond mind manuevers, which use concentration, can be refreshed with a swift action by the Warblade class if you also attack the same round. So you could use them every round if you don't use any other strike manuever that uses up your swift action.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I would count those Concentration checks except that aren't they limited in uses per day?
    uses per encounter (they're ToB).

EDIT: ninja'd

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

And I know of the Hammer, I believe I specifically mentioned that thread.
    I must be missing something, then. Why does the Hammer of Earth not fit the bill for you?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tellah View Post
    I must be missing something, then. Why does the Hammer of Earth not fit the bill for you?
    Because in order to get Dex to damage I would need to be wielding a Shadow Hand weapon, of which the Hammer is not. If it were an ability that could be applied to the weapon that would be another thing.

I'm confused? Insightful Strikes? Or Diamond Body Manuvers? Which one are they? And at what level would I be able to get them.
    Last edited by Kaelik; 2007-08-30 at 02:34 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Insightful Strike and Greater Insightful Strike are specific maneuvers from the Diamond Mind discipline in Tome of Battle. Insightful Strike allows you to make a single attack as a standard action and do damage equal to your concentration skill check result. Greater Insightful Strike is the same thing except you double the check's result. Both of them have the slight problem of completely replacing your normal damage, however, so you wouldn't get all your other ability score bonus to damage bonuses at the same time unless you could somehow apply them to your concentration skill.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

17. - Top - End - #17

He needs some kinda weapon to add Dex. Probably 'cause of Shadow Blade, it's the less tricky way to get it, and you get Wis also a pair of levels after that, even though THAT is limited by manoeuvres.
    OR he is using other abilities that stack better.
    Grater Insightful Strike (and Insightful Strike) are not good for you: they indeed are based out of Concentration checks, but they SPECIFICALLY tell that no other bonuses stack with that damage!

So, I think there is only one way to change your situation: use the hammer and take the fierce enchantment for Dex. Reduces AC but the only way 'round.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil View Post
    He needs some kinda weapon to add Dex. Probably 'cause of Shadow Blade, it's the less tricky way to get it, and you get Wis also a pair of levels after that, even though THAT is limited by manoeuvres.
    OR he is using other abilities that stack better.
    Grater Insightful Strike (and Insightful Strike) are not good for you: they indeed are based out of Concentration checks, but they SPECIFICALLY tell that no other bonuses stack with that damage!

So, I think there is only one way to change your situation: use the hammer and take the fierce enchantment for Dex. Reduces AC but the only way 'round.
    Fierce Enchantment? What's that? Thank you very much though. Shadow Hand Stance, however Wisdom can come from Swordsage, (limited by maneuvers) but might also come from Battlesmith in Races of Stone. (I saw that in x stat to y bonus and thought I might go for that.) Yes, I guess concentration checks are out then. Maybe this fierce enchantment can help me out with Dex and allow me to skip ToB all together (not that I don't like it, but Sword Sage and ToB in general don't fit a character that is aiming for Pounce and Full attacks with two weapons.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

not that I don't like it, but Sword Sage and ToB in general don't fit a character that is aiming for Pounce and Full attacks with two weapons.
    ...w-what? Did you gloss over the whole Tiger Claw discipline?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dragonfire Adept has a breath weapon with a Con based Save DC. It's also a very solid class.

Also, the true source of melee damage is not static bonuses, such as things that add Dex or Int to damage. Its scaled bonuses, such as things that are based on BAB or Skill checks, add extra attacks, or multiply damage. So in most cases you shouldn't waste feats/items/class abilities trying to get X to Y, unless X is a particularly large number.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Dragonfire Adept has a breath weapon with a Con based Save DC. It's also a very solid class.
    Thank you for not reading the thread???

@Fax. Manuvers yes, I noticed the prestige class was worse then one level of Barbarian for getting pounce, and since I needed a Shadow hand stance for Dex Damage, and therefore Shadow Hand strikes for Wis (hopefully both those will change as the character develops) I didn't much bother looking at Tiger Claw strikes. I'll look at them, but since most every strike I've ever seen was limited to a standard action and not usable in a full attack, I don't see why Tiger Claw would change that.

EDIT: Okay, looked over Tiger Claw, and while building a character based on it would be a very good character, for this build which requires levels in Swashbuckler and Bard (and probably Battlesmith?) One level of Barbarian is a lot better way to get pounce then manuvers that need refreshing and are fifth level before they equal that level one ability. (Plus if I can get Con to damage then rage is doubly useful.)
    Last edited by Kaelik; 2007-08-30 at 03:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you for not reading the thread???

@Fax. Manuvers yes, I noticed the prestige class was worse then one level of Barbarian for getting pounce, and since I needed a Shadow hand stance for Dex Damage, and therefore Shadow Hand strikes for Wis (hopefully both those will change as the character develops) I didn't much bother looking at Tiger Claw strikes. I'll look at them, but since most every strike I've ever seen was limited to a standard action and not usable in a full attack, I don't see why Tiger Claw would change that.
    Tiger Claw's thing is centered around attacking with two weapons.

If you're looking for TWF-pounce action, Barbarian 1 (Lion Totem)/Swordsage X/Bloodclaw Master 3 is a good bet. You don't suffer TWF penalties, you have pounce, and you have maneuvers.

Futher, there are a number of Tiger Claw maneuvers that do remarkably well with TWF. Off the top of my head, Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip (for incredible rending damage), Blood in the Water, Dancing Mongoose, Death From Above, Wolf Fang Strike, Swooping Dragon Strike, and Flesh Ripper all immediately come to mind.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Tiger Claw's thing is centered around attacking with two weapons.

If you're looking for TWF-pounce action, Barbarian 1 (Lion Totem)/Swordsage X/Bloodclaw Master 3 is a good bet. You don't suffer TWF penalties, you have pounce, and you have maneuvers.

Futher, there are a number of Tiger Claw maneuvers that do remarkably well with TWF. Off the top of my head, Girallon Windmill Flesh Rip (for incredible rending damage), Blood in the Water, Dancing Mongoose, Death From Above, Wolf Fang Strike, Swooping Dragon Strike, and Flesh Ripper all immediately come to mind.
    I looked at it and yes, such a character would be good, but is not at all what I'm trying to build. I'm not going for a two weapon fighter so much as I am going for applying the mod of every single stat to damage. I have straight fourteens for stats and I wanted to try this out. Pounce and two weapon fighting are just ways to better capitalize on the fact that all my stats apply to damage, not the goal in and of themselves.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

I guess Battlesmith is incompatible with the build, though it has given me an idea for mixing it with Mountain of Earth. I guess I'm back to using Shadow Hand maneuvers, unless I missed something and the sword sage insightful strike can be used with maneuvers that are of a different school then the weapons he is wielding. I still don't seem to have con to damage though.

And I still don't like that most strikes can't be used as part of a full attack.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

There is a rapier in Amrs and Equipment, way in the back with all the specific weapons. The rapier is +2, and allows you to apply your dex to damage INSTEAD of str. if you subtract out the +2 rapier cost, you can geta weapon ability that lets you apply any mod to dmg rolls, in leiu of str. I think the cost is 57000gp. This is the best i can do for you man !

26. - Top - End - #26
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The Swordsage's Insightful Strike ability to add wisdom to strike damage doesn't care what weapon you use at all. The only thing that matters is which discipline the strike you're using is in.

There are exactly three full attack strikes that I am aware of, and I've gone through the entire list pretty thoroughly for multiple different builds. They are Flashing Sun (Desert Wind), Pouncing Charge (Tiger Claw), and Time Stands Still (Diamond Mind). Avalanche of Blades is a pseudo full attack if your attack bonus is high enough, and a few other maneuvers include multiple attacks, but I don't think any of them let you make more than two attacks against the same target and they don't use your full attack routine at all.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2007-08-30 at 07:34 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If this character does manage to work out, you should try to get a hold of a Belt of Magnificence...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I have all the others so now I just need con to damage so I can "perfect" the character. Emphasis mine.

Man... talk about munchkining.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

Merlin the Tuna

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post
    "I have all the others so now I just need con to damage so I can "perfect" the character. Emphasis mine.

Man... talk about munchkining.
    Right, except that "perfecting" the character consists only of being able to use every stat for damage. Not being all powerful. Since a barbarian/frenzied berserker is going to do more damage and a Wizard is going to make him pointless to begin with.

What's so munchkin about a perfecting the concept of my character.

And thanks Merlin for not reading anything at all, since that thread was mentioned three times and the basis of discussion already.
    Last edited by Kaelik; 2007-08-30 at 08:24 PM.