Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 274
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default [IC] Attack of the Dead

    It's been a quiet summer in Hurok's Crossing. Autumn is approaching, and the leaves are just beginning to change color. The talk of the town still centers on the dwarven smith who passed through last week, trying to sell peculiar weapons he called "arquebuses." They were strange implements like metal tubes, which made lots of smoke and noise when fired. The town politely sent the merchant on his way, but secretly laughed at his ridiculous wares behind his back.

    It is a blustery day, a sure sign of the rapidly approaching fall. For various reasons, the four of you are in the town square at the same time, in the early afternoon. A peddler is hawking fancy hats from a wagon nearby, and other citizens are going about their daily business. Suddenly, you hear screaming. You see three skeletons, standing on their feet as if alive and carrying daggers, approaching from the direction of the town's graveyard, just to the north of here. The townsfolk nearby panic, running wild. In the chaos, the peddler's cart is overturned, colorful hats spilling over the cobblestones. The square is suddenly deserted, except for the four of you, the three skeletons, and a beggar, cowering behind a nearby lamppost.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Here is the map

    You may start wherever you like in the box, and feel free to say why your character is there.

    The wagon and lamppost each provide half cover from ranged attacks.

    I'm not going to roll initiative for this fight, you can just go before the skeletons.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-03-22 at 02:38 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Rainbow snarls and charges towards the middle of the three skeletons in a flurry of rage, swinging his maul towards its head.

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Rage, attack the skeleton on square O4
    Attack: (1d20+5)[25]
    Damage: (2d6+5)[11]


    Spoiler: Edit OoC
    Show
    Oh snap, critical hit.
    Last edited by Juicy Kisses; 2018-03-22 at 03:06 PM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Critical hit damage (2d6)[8]

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    The maul smashes through the skeleton, scattering bones all over. It is totally destroyed.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Rob had been loitering on the edge of the square, watching passersby and trying to avoid notice while he waited for his contact.

    ".. is this?" he muttered with a start, dropping his cigarette. His initial thought was that the mission had somehow been compromised, but as the lizardfolk let out his battle cry and utterly annihilated one of the undead, Rob could tell that bigger things were afoot. He extended his hand and muttered a word of power before diving behind the lamp post and taking a look around.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Standing in V20. (For reference, he ignores half and 3/4 cover with spell attacks)
    Attack on S3 (1d20+6)[14]
    Force damage [roll1d10[/roll]
    Move to S19

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Rob's blast hits the skeleton, but doesn't seem to damage it much.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    "Fascinating..." Rowan adjusts her glasses, settling them into a more comfortable position from their jostling by fleeing townspeople. "I mean, I'm familiar with the theory, but I've never really scene the animated dead up close before. Although I suppose I ought to change that."

    Raising one hand, she gestures at the skeleton attacked by Rob. "Hey," she says, almost casually, "who are you all, then?"

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sacred Flame on the already damaged skeleton. Con save or [roll]1d8[roll] radiant damage.

    Bleh, forgot to say where I am. Gonna go for the bottom left hand corner square.
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-03-23 at 03:14 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    The skeleton dodges out of the way of Rowan's attack, but its foot is still singed by the holy flames.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Chimera

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Venezuela
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    (Standing in F5)

    Mellia was a little surprised to actually see skeletons out of the blue but she soon realizes that only others three persons remains.

    "I guess I can help to return this guys to the grave" Said Mellia before extending her hand and conjuring an eldritch blast at the skeleton that's most nearby of her.

    [Spoiler= attack roll] attack roll [roll]1d20[roll/] [spoiler/]
    Last edited by Aleister VII; 2018-03-23 at 09:08 AM.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleister VII View Post
    (Standing in F5)

    Mellia was a little surprised to actually see skeletons out of the blue but she soon realizes that only others three persons remains.

    "I guess I can help to return this guys to the grave" Said Mellia before extending her hand and conjuring an eldritch blast at the skeleton that's most nearby of her.

    [Spoiler= attack roll] attack roll [roll]1d20[roll/] [spoiler/]
    The slashes go at the start of the last section, as [/quote] to end the quote. You will also want to roll damage with the attack, even if it doesn't hit, it saves time, and you can put a +modifier in the roll statement to automatically add a modifier.

    Spoiler: attack roll (redone for convenience)
    Show
    (1d20+4)[13], (1d10)[4]


    The blast seems to damage the skeleton, but not a lot. It's definitely still standing.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-03-23 at 09:06 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Rainbow let's out a laugh as he smashes one skeleton and charges towards the next undamaged one

    Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+5)[22]
    Damage: (2d6+3)[5]

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    [QUOTE=Juicy Kisses;22942146]Rainbow let's out a laugh as he smashes one skeleton and charges towards the next undamaged one[/roll]

    Whoa, give the monsters their turn. You PCs don't get to have ALL the fun!

    The two skeletons whirl to face Rainbow. Together, they attempt to plunge their daggers into him.

    Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    (1d20+4)[17], (1d4+2)[4]
    (1d20+4)[16], (1d4+2)[3]


    Both skeletons hit, stabbing rainbow in in each side. (7 damage total.)

    Then Rainbow swings at Skeleton 3 and beheads it, the lifeless bones clattering to the ground.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-03-23 at 09:59 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if the previous actions have been resolved yet, but Rob's turn will flow like this if there's a skeleton still standing...

    Attack on S (d20+6)[8]
    Force damage (1d10)[3]


    "Damnation!" Rob cursed as his magic seemed to glance off the first skeleton.

    He steps back out from behind the column and takes his time, and with another flick of his hand he shouts in an alien tongue and energy stabs forward. Defiantly, he draws his sword and begins to march forward, eyes casting about for more foes.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Rob's shot misses, sailing harmlessly through the air to the last remaining skeleton's left.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-03-24 at 05:08 AM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Seeing one last skeleton still alive, Rowen gestures again, summoning another burst of fire to consume the animated dead. "They are not as resilient as I expected. Well, at least that makes this process rather easier for me and my un-looked for compatriots..."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Alright, one more shot:

    Sacred flame, DC 13 CON save or (1d8)[7]

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
    Seeing one last skeleton still alive, Rowen gestures again, summoning another burst of fire to consume the animated dead. "They are not as resilient as I expected. Well, at least that makes this process rather easier for me and my un-looked for compatriots..."

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Alright, one more shot:

    Sacred flame, DC 13 CON save or [roll0]
    The skeleton remains on its feet, but it is badly scorched by the flames.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Skipping Al

    The skeleton stabs at Rainbow again.
    (1d20+4)[11], (1d4+2)[6]

    The dagger misses widely.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-03-27 at 08:52 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to R12 for a better shot.
    Attack (d20+6)[14]
    Damage (d10)[8]


    Rob is getting frustrated with his poor performance so far.

    "Just die already...again!" and he sends another spear of force hurtling towards the undead. His instrument lies forgotten on his back, for now.

    The shot feels sure as it leaves his hand, and a trace of a smile crosses his lips.
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2018-03-27 at 09:07 PM.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    The bolt of energy shoots out and hits the skeleton, blowing it apart. The square is eeriely silent. The beggar peeks out from behind the lamppost to see whether the skeletons are dead. Well, no longer undead.

    Everyone gets 50 XP
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-03-27 at 09:43 PM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Rainbow settles from his rage after smashing the bones a bit with his hammer. He then looks out to the others in the square, waving at Rob.

    "Huh...heh...Helloooo"

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Rob stands up and takes a look around, taking in the people standing around and the remains of the undead, a watchful eye scanning the perimeter of the square and a hand resting on his sword.

    He is tall, slim, bearded, and has gray around his temples. He brushes invisible lint off the shoulder of his immaculate dress coat and adjusts his cravat a touch.

    (Perception: (d20+2)[15])

    He eases over to the beggar. What a way to start his visit to the city... "You, there, good man, thank you for your help in didn't change those creatures. Tell me, is this something that happens on a regular basis?"

    As he talks, he unslings his violin and tunes it amiably, careful to keep his hand off his weapon for a moment and to project an air of calm and authority.

    (?Persuasion: (d20+6)[17])
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2018-03-27 at 11:15 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Rob smiles at the barbarian.

    "Well met and we'll done! And who might you be?"

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Rainbow lets out a toothy grin,

    "Rainbow name...Rainbow Scales"

    He shakes his head around a bit so the light glistens off of his near black scales, which shimmer like a rainbow as the Ray's of the sun reflect off of them.

    "What...your...name?"

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    "Why, I would be Rob, the great collector of stories, singer of songs, and storyteller extraordinaire!" he says with a flourish and a bow. "But you can call me Rob."

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Rainbow lets out a roarous laugh,

    "Rainbow like stories...like songs...maybe Rob friend. What we do now?"

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    "Haven't the foggiest!" he says with a smile.

    ((I'll wait to see if the beggar or the perception check is any help and give the others a chance to catch up. Perhaps an investigation of the undead as well--is it possible to "take 10" in 5e? Otherwise investigate (d20+1)[16]))

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2017

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    "The undead are a frequent occurrence in these parts. It seems to me that the logical response would be to find the source of this infestation, and investigate further from that point." Rowen comes from her corner to join the two huddled around the remains of the skeleton. "This maybe simply ascertained, if they have any distinguishing clothing, armour, or dirt upon them that is particular to a part of these surrounds. That seems the logical course, to me, anyway."

    Stopping suddenly, aware that she is presuming much to give her opinions to a group of people she has never seen before, she nervously adjusts her glasses. With a weak smile, she joins them and kneels down next to the corpse, looking it over carefully. "My name's Rowen, by the way. Any of you done this kind of thing before?"
    Last edited by Mr. E; 2018-03-28 at 02:59 PM.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Rainbow looks to Rowen,

    "Nice to meet Rowen. Rainbow smashes lots. Likes to hit things."
    Last edited by Juicy Kisses; 2018-03-28 at 03:30 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    bc56's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian MD View Post
    Rob stands up and takes a look around, taking in the people standing around and the remains of the undead, a watchful eye scanning the perimeter of the square and a hand resting on his sword.

    He is tall, slim, bearded, and has gray around his temples. He brushes invisible lint off the shoulder of his immaculate dress coat and adjusts his cravat a touch.

    (Perception: [roll0])

    He eases over to the beggar. What a way to start his visit to the city... "You, there, good man, thank you for your help in didn't change those creatures. Tell me, is this something that happens on a regular basis?"

    As he talks, he unslings his violin and tunes it amiably, careful to keep his hand off his weapon for a moment and to project an air of calm and authority.

    (?Persuasion: [roll1])
    The beggar replies. "Thank you sirs and madams. I reckon you saved my life. No, I've never seen this happen before."

    After searching the skeletons, Rainbow finds that each is carrying a dagger and is clad in scraps of cloth consistent with what the citizens of Hurok's Crossing wear. They did come from the direction of the the town graveyard, and there's still fresh dirt on them.

    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

    @Mr. E
    If Rowan is a local, she would know that the undead are NOT a frequent occurrence. If she's not a local, she could simply be misinformed.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-03-28 at 04:41 AM.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

    Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [IC] Attack of the Dead

    Every inclination and instinct tells Rob to go in the opposite direction from the graveyard. Pack his bags, mount his horse, and ride home into the sunset.

    And yet... This needed to be reported in. Certainly his superiors needed to know if the dead were walking, and to what extent. He'll need more information, and that will require him to get his hands dirty.

    Inwardly he scowls, but his face is a smiling mask.

    "A pleasure, I'm sure," he says to Rowen.

    To the beggar: "Do you have a local constabulary, my good man? Do you think you could go and bring them here to show them the bodies, and then lead them on to the graveyard to meet us?"

    "As for myself, I believe I'd like to go have a quick peek in the direction of this graveyard of which you speak. This sounds like an amusing tale to add to my collection! I would certainly appreciate the company.
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2018-03-28 at 09:37 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •