Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales: Now available in PDF format from Gumroad
Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tales is now on sale in PDF format from Gumroad - with 6 never-before-collected bonus comics!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Years And Years... [IC]

You are currently in Gili's carriage, on your way to Tadun. You've just left, and can still see the village of Alhmor if you look back. Gili himself is sitting out front with his teamster, making sure the horses are doing well.

What will you do?
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2018-04-08 at 12:43 AM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Years And Years... [IC]

Steph is currently in the carriage.

If you didn't know carriages were actually invented in 380 AFW. The Halflings were actually the first users, but of course their carriages are more commonly staffed by riding dogs! She says brightly.

So, Gili! She calls out.

How long till Tadun?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #3

"Hm?" Gili responds, turning back and poking his head in. "A few days-don't worry, we've got plenty of food for you all on the way. Though I'd hardly say no to someone hunting for a spot of fresh meat."

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes. When we stop, I hunt." Undurax fingers his bow, anxious to be free of the carriage and on his feet.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eli casts light on a few points in the carriage (you can never have too much light!) and nervously sticks his head out of one of the windows to look at the receding village.

The villagers seemed like a nice bunch... but there had been entirely too many pitch forks around for him to relax entirely. He resolves to keep an eye out during the trip.

Also, you never knew when you might run into a wild group of adventurers!
    Last edited by charlesrwest; 2018-04-08 at 07:43 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

And don't worry I'll cook it. I'm actually quite a proficient chef. Stephanie remarked with pride.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #7

"Excellent! I used to bring a chef with me on these little trips, but it cost just too much," Gili says. "I look forward to seeing what you can prepare for us."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So, this is basically the preamble roleplay. Let me know whenever you're ready to move on.

Follow-up to that is that, when you arrive in Tudan, you're going to be using Downtime activities from Xanathar's. I'll likely throw a complication your way, to spice it up a little, but yeah.

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Ariel idly strums her lute, eyes half-closed as she loses herself in the music for a bit.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9

Eli pulls his head in from the window for a moment and listens to the music. When Ariel finishes, he seems to remember something.

"Um, Miss Bestbard? We all discussed selling some of the stuff we found in the city before splitting the money and I was hoping to sell the magic items I picked out and explore the magic the city has to offer... But I'm not really sure how well I'll find my way in such a large settlement and I am no certainly merchant. Do you think you might be willing to help me sell this stuff? I'd owe you one."

Show

Eli formally requests that Miss Bestbard join him on his quest to help the party cash in on the items they don't wish to keep and optionally, buying some magic items. In exchange, he would consider himself to owe her a favor. Mechanically, I think he would be doing some sort of help action with her downtime selling activity if they did it together?
    Last edited by charlesrwest; 2018-04-08 at 09:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    Ariel idly strums her lute, eyes half-closed as she loses herself in the music for a bit.
    Good! Good, you're doing much better. Steph says sincerely. Try flexing your pinky finger more when you're strumming the bottom string. Steph says crawling over to Ariel and helping her with the motion.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesrwest View Post
    Eli pulls his head in from the window for a moment and listens to the music. When Ariel finishes, he seems to remember something.

"Um, Miss Bestbard? We all discussed selling some of the stuff we found in the city before splitting the money and I was hoping to sell the magic items I picked out and explore the magic the city has to offer... But I'm not really sure how well I'll find my way in such a large settlement and I am no certainly merchant. Do you think you might be willing to help me sell this stuff? I'd owe you one."

Show

Eli formally requests that Miss Bestbard join him on his quest to help the party cash in on the items they don't wish to keep and optionally, buying some magic items. In exchange, he would consider himself to owe her a favor. Mechanically, I think he would be doing some sort of help action with her downtime selling activity if they did it together?
    I can try to help, but the city will probably have sages very more learned then I will. But if you're sure... Steph remarks looking over from Ariel.

11. - Top - End - #11

Gili smiles a slightly patriarchal smile as he looks back at you all. "Ah, so good to see you young'uns getting along well. Too many people don't take the chances they have."

Show
    Show

Show

12. - Top - End - #12

The carriage trundles on, days passing into nights and nights into days. The roads are rather safe, at least when traveling to Tadun, so the only encounters you have are other travelers, some of whom know Gili and talk with him, others who simply nod and wave.

Soon enough, you arrive in the city. Gili, who's decided to drop you off at the gates, offers you a little advice before you go in. "Now, some of you might never have been in a city before. Watch out-not everyone is trustworthy. There are pickpockets and scammers, and all manner of unfriendly sort. I doubt anyone would be so bold as to attack adventurers like yourselves, especially with the guard about, but keep a close eye on your belongings. I'd recommend the Golden Arrow-a bit pricey, but it's quality, and people won't bother you much there. It's run by Hore, one of my cousins, actually. He's a bit of a pious sort, but so long as you're willing to listen to a few godly rants, he'll see you comfortable and well-fed. Tell him I sent you, and you might get a discount-but knowing my family, probably not!" he finishes with a short laugh. "Good luck, you all."

Just inside, the city is teeming with people. Everyone is rushing about, going to who knows where, with most people having something in their hands. No one seems to give you any mind, although as you enter, the guards do stop you for a moment. "Keep your weapons sheathed, and no magic. Understood?" one of them says. His voice is stern, but not mean.

Show
    Downtime activities include:

-Buying a magic item
    -Carousing
    -Crafting an item
    -Crime
    -Gambling
    -Pit Fighting
    -Relaxation
    -Religious Service
    -Research
    -Scribe a Scroll
    -Sell a Magic Item
    -Training
    -Work

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #13

Eli looks at his boots, which are glowing orange. Then, at his pants... which are glowing purple. Then his shield, which is glowing white (bypassing his glowing (blue) shirt and glowing (purple) helm). He then looks hopefully at the guard and says "No combat magic, right? I understand how magic can be dangerous... but what is life without a little color?"

Show
    Eli is teaming up with Miss Bestbard to sell the items people choose to liquidate. After that he is going to spend as much time as is available looking for items on his list in the OOC thread (with Miss Bestbard's help if she is interested).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

"I thank you. Where is herbalism practiced in this city?" Undurax prepares to disembark.

Show
    Undurax will train for herbalism kit prof.

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #15

The guard sighs, and says "Nothing too overt, okay?" in response to the question about magic.

The other guard at the gates gives Undurax directions, sending him to the eastern part of the city.

Show
    Show

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

And where do the chefs ply their trade? Stephanie adds bopping up to address the guard. A spring in her step.

17. - Top - End - #17

"There's no cooking guild here-you can find chefs all over the city."

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    "There's no cooking guild here-you can find chefs all over the city."
    Any place that has a higher density then others? Stephanie questions.

19. - Top - End - #19

Eli dashes forward, not really knowing where he is going and says (with his hand in the air): " Onward! To buying, selling and GLORY!

20. - Top - End - #20

Spoiler: Undurax
    Show
    You head into the city, looking to find someone who knows herbs and alchemy. There's an apothecary shop, tucked away in the corner of an alley, with various plants spilling out the front.

When you enter, a small bell chimes. "Coming, coming!" a voice calls from the back.

Show
    10 minus Int Mod work weeks are needed to learn this. 25 GP per week.

Spoiler: Eli and Steph
    Show
    The guard eventually manages to give you some directions. You head for a small part of the city where chefs and bakers conglomerate, competing and learning from one another.

The din is quite much, with people yelling back and forth, ovens roaring and cobblestone crunching underfoot.

Show
    Pick one item. Spend 25 GP making flyers, buying people drinks, and various other little things to find a buyer. Also one week.

Then, roll a Charisma (Persuasion) check.

Also, (1d10)[1]

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Undurax Waits patiently for the apocethary. No con games for him now, he wants to learn.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    That'll be 9 weeks and 225 gold then.

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #22

Show
    Take it a week at a time! Do you have that much money, by the way?

After a few minutes, a squat gnomish man comes out from the back. "Ah, good day, my scaled friend! How can I, the great Kaliz, help you?"

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"Greetings. I wish to learn the craft of the herbalist." Undurax is a bit sceptical of the gnome, who reminds him a bit of himself when putting on an act.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Yes I have that much money, assuming we sold the art objects pre adventure and already divvied up the loot.
    Last edited by bc56; 2018-04-11 at 09:46 PM.

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #24

"Oh," the gnome says. "Well, I suppose I could use an apprentice. Grab me that grablar leaf, the one over there-I'm working on a poultice."

The gnome seems to take to having a new fellow in the shop with great ease, and plenty of ordering about. While he's not big on the instructing bit, he's very knowledgeable about his craft.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Steph has been putting up fliers, buying drinks, and just being a sunny charismatic person.

(1d20+5)[16]
    (1d20+5)[15]
    And also a performance check. (1d20+7)[27]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Good! Good, you're doing much better. Steph says sincerely. Try flexing your pinky finger more when you're strumming the bottom string. Steph says crawling over to Ariel and helping her with the motion.
    Ariel does as she's instructed, and is delighted at how much the sound improves. "Many thanks, my friend!" she cheered, clapping Steph on the back and pulling her into a hug.

(can continue that scene if Steph wants, although it's a ways back in the chat at this point >.<)

When they got to town, Ariel took her new pipe, bid her allies farewell for the time being, and revisited all her favorite bars with money to burn, fights to pick, and a liver to stress-test.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I'll take the pipe, I guess. Kinda neat?

Also I'll go carousing.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2018-04-12 at 12:24 AM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #27

Show
    What exactly items are you selling? You'll get 100% of their price, +(1d10)[7] percent and -(1d10)[1] percent.

Steph and Eli spend their time in and out of bars, with Steph doing the bulk of the talking. She also tells tall tales (and not so tall tales), much to the delight of the various people around her. So enraptured are they, that you manage to recoup a decent portion of your spendings.

Spoiler: Money Recouped
    Show
    (5d5)[17] GP

In addition to that, Steph manages to catch the eye of quite a few people. By the end of the week, she's received several love letters, and several... Less lovely, more lusty letters.

Show
    Steph, gimme an Insight Check to try to figure out which people sent them-most were unsigned.

Ariel heads for the bars, and takes a week to enjoy herself and make some new friends.

Show
    Two things are needed:
    A Charisma (Persuasion) check.
    And a decision. Are you carousing with the lower class (10 GP), the middle (50 GP), or the upper (250 GP)? Gili gives you access to the upper class, but if you DO carouse with the upper class, Imma say your Charisma check is at disadvantage, due to bumpkiny nature, unless you have a compelling argument otherwise.

Also, (1d10)[6]

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Steph finds the little halfling letter's adorable.

So we found a few interested buyers. What exactly do we want to sell? And we probably need to discuss this with the other two shouldn't we? Steph remarks.

When a certain regular came in.

Indirien! Steph said brightly. Come on, grab a seat. I have a meal for you. She said brightly.

29. - Top - End - #29

Indirien, a red-headed sorceress, comes in and sits next to you two. "Morning, Steph, Eli," she says with a smile.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30

How are you doing today? Steph asked brightly and beaming.