New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mummy's Mask - Shifting Sands [IC]

Turi frowns, thinks it over for only a moment, and shrugs. "Let's give them a minute to move back to wherever they wait?" he asks no one in particular. Just a few moments later, he carefully opens the door and peeks in. If the soldiers have left the entry, he'll move in. Otherwise, he'll quickly shut the door again.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Firbolg in the Playground

After some discussion, the companions split up, with some taking a stroll to the Bazaar in a search for weapon cords to counter the clockwork warrior's disarm tactic, while Vershab stays in the street to meditate his spells. After they're reunited, Turi opens the door again, and finds the room and corridor much as they were earlier, the metallic guardians nowhere in sight.

Spoiler
    Show
    We can neglect the cost of the weapon cords. If that's all the group bought, then [roll]1d6/roll]x10 minutes have passed. A search for adamantine weapons would make this hours instead.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala al Akmet, Warsighted Oracle

As the group considered their courses of action, Natala spoke softly. "I mentioned I do not have many options when it comes to spells, but at least I can cast them several times. I can perform healing as you've seen, but I can also cast several protections that you should be familiar with. The key spells of benefit for our upcoming engagement seem to be Blade of Ancient Gods and the Planar Recall. The rest either make someone a bit harder to hurt, or provide limited value against mechanical foes. Once I reach the end of my spell offerings, I will be forced to use my spear or bow ... I think the additional of adamantine weapons seems prudent, but if you think we have enough damage potential to not require any, then so be it.

Now, do we think the alarm remains? Or can we try to dispel it?

Ready to press on ... curious if we have a way to deal with the alarm. Also, DR can be annoying at best, and game changing at worst ... but up to y'all if you want to go that route. Standing by to cast spells, since they are fleeting.

Any buffs for my favorite meat shields?

Spoiler: Crunch
    Show
    AC 21 HP 57 Init +8 Move 30
    Str 14 Dex 18 Con 13 Int 10 Wis 12 Cha
    F +5 R +8 W +8
    Weapon: +1 longspear (+8, 1d8+4), Ancestral Weapon (+1 magic weapon of choice from pantheon)
    Spells: (Unl) guidance, detect magic, create water, read magic, detect poison, stabilize, mending, ghost sound, mage hand / (7/8) cure light wounds, unseen servant, ray of sickening, divine favor, remove fear, bless, protection vs evil / (7) cure moderate wounds, levitate, minor image, spiritual weapon, burst of radiance, lesser restoration, spear of purity / (4/5) cure serious wounds, heroism, searing light, summon monster 3
    Martial flexibility: 6/6; AW: 7/7: Spirit shield: 6/7; Blessings: 2/2
    Key skills: Diplomacy +12; KS History/Religion +9; Sense Motive +8; Spellcraft +8; Heal +5; Linguistics +5; KS All others +4; Craft Weapons +6
    Effect: summon monster (lantern archon, 6/7 rounds); Spirit shield (+6 AC, 70 min); unseen servant (7hrs); Slippers (ignore difficult terrain)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-03-12 at 01:20 AM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

4. - Top - End - #724

NecromancerGuy

Vershab nods. "I have prepared spells to evoke a lightning bolt, dispel the alarm, and conjure a pit beneath our enemies. We should be able to defeat them now, especially since our melee have their weapon cords," he says in a tone that sounds like he intends it to be encouraging and companionly but instead comes off as more of a listing of obvious points to a student. "Once we dispel the alarm we can attempt to explore and deal with the constructs one at a time...oh, and if possible lets avoid completely destroying any of them - I would like to have enough parts left over to study."

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Vershab used his Quick Study Arcanist Exploit to switch out three spells to have Dispel Magic, Lightning Bolt, and Create Pit available.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

Turi listens dutifully, though he obviously doesn't understand much of the conversation. When Natala mentions adamantine, he pipes up "That's a really hard metal, right?" Beaming like a prized student at her simple agreement, he nudges Azkin in the ribs.

He wonders openly when Vershab lists his own abilities, idly fidgeting with the cord now bound around his upper wrist. "Ever see lightning up close?" he whispers to his brother, decidedly unsure about the whole prospect.

"Well, if we're as ready as we're gonna get, I'll try to keep them busy... well, a little longer, at least." He opens the door, and once more leads the party into the secret chamber.

6. - Top - End - #726

Gingerly, the boy opens the door again, only to find the same corridor as before, its shadows undisturbed. The clockwork guardians are nowhere to be seen, nor are there any traces of the fight that happened in this place a little over half an hour earlier. Vershab reports that the magical aura revealing the alarm spell is now very faint, its arcane power depleted, although he expects it will return over time.

With more time to look at the room ahead, Turi notes that all the walls are lined with ancient books. Also, in a far corner stands another immobile, human-sized mechanical construct. This one sports four arms, and balances on three legs that rise into a central body.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #727

NecromancerGuy

After dispelling the Alarm spell (Dispel Check - (1d20+7)[22]) Vershab approaches the unusual, immobile construct. "Now...what are you...?" he quietly asks the machine as he inspects it closely (Knowledge (Arcana) (1d20+15)[31]).

Once his inspection is complete he asks the party, "Where shall we do this? I can place the pit wherever we need it - it is extraplanar in nature and may look...non-Euclidian...odd to your eyes, but it will work. If we can line them up I can hit more than one with my lightning, though I only have a couple of spells-worth of that kind of power in me today..."

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Back in the halls, Natala kept her spear at the ready, eyeing the corridors for signs of movement. For now, she didn’t cast anything - she would wait for a few moments to save her shorter duration enchantments. As they peered into a room with ancient tomes and an unmoving construct, she peered at the spines of the books, whispering, "What topics should we seek? And Lady, I can give you the blessings of Horus when you are ready.”

Will search for books on the topics we need and cast Heroism when Lehasti wants it.
    Perception - (1d20+1)[8], History - (1d20+9)[15] for research

Show
    F +5 R +8 W +8
    Weapon: +1 longspear (+8, 1d8+4), Ancestral Weapon (+1 magic weapon of choice from pantheon)
    Spells: (Unl) guidance, detect magic, create water, read magic, detect poison, stabilize, mending, ghost sound, mage hand / (7/8) cure light wounds, unseen servant, ray of sickening, divine favor, remove fear, bless, protection vs evil / (7) cure moderate wounds, levitate, minor image, spiritual weapon, burst of radiance, lesser restoration, spear of purity / (4/5) cure serious wounds, heroism, searing light, summon monster 3
    Martial flexibility: 6/6; AW: 7/7: Spirit shield: 6/7; Blessings: 2/2
    Key skills: Diplomacy +12; KS History/Religion +9; Sense Motive +8; Spellcraft +8; Heal +5; Linguistics +5; KS All others +4; Craft Weapons +6
    Effect: Spirit shield (+6 AC, 70 min); unseen servant (7hrs); Slippers (ignore difficult terrain)

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Turi prowls through the hallways almost silently, double-checking with Vershab before passing the area where there was previously an aura. At his assurance, he continues forward, curiously peering into the room he had been in briefly. He faces Natala and Vershab with an appreciative frown; surely this room will already be a valuable source of information. He almost immediately identifies the statue as a potential threat- if it's anything like the guardians they've already seen, extra arms certainly won't make it less dangerous.

Without a sound, his kukri appear in his hands. He stays some distance back until Vershab approaches, and cautiously takes up a position just behind the arcanist's left shoulder.

10. - Top - End - #730

The magical alarm resists Vershab's attempt to banish it, but it remains inactive as Turi passes the corridor crossing. The young arcanist examines the new construct, to determine it is a device called a clockwork servant, tasked primarily with repairing other similar machines, and sometimes capable of other types of work as well. However, this one is presently inert. Vershab knows that it needs to be wound up, typically with a special key, in order to be of any use.

11. - Top - End - #731

NecromancerGuy

Vershab frowns at the resilient Alarm spell. "If we defeat the constructs and I still have the power left, I will try to dispel it again, but for now it remains present but inert," he reports, unhappily. "This construct is also inert, and will likely remain so unless wound up. I don't know what is keeping the clockwork soldiers wound that would have ignored this helper, but whatever it is has deigned to ignore this one for now...much as we should..."

He then turns to peruse the books while the others plan their efforts to attack and dispose of the clockwork soldiers.

"Where shall we do this? I can place the pit wherever we need it - it is extraplanar in nature and may look...non-Euclidian...odd to your eyes, but it will work. If we can line them up I can hit more than one with my lightning, though I only have a couple of spells-worth of that kind of power in me today..."

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

Turi frowns at the suggestion of "ignore it." "Hate leaving things undone," he mutters, twirling one of his blades idly. After taking the time to make sure at least Azkin and Lehasti are paying attention, he turns to continue carefully southward. Just before stepping from the room, a thought occurs to him. "Uh, Vershab, would you make sure there's not more of that... uh.. magic over here?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Also using perception to attempt the same, in so far as magical things constitute traps.
    (1d20+12)[28] perception

(D/12) area, looking southward from the library(?)

13. - Top - End - #733

NecromancerGuy

"What? Oh, of course," replied Vershab as he ceased his inspection of the inactive construct and walked over to Turi. He begins to detect magic and scans as the young man quietly sneaks forward, staying just behind him as they creep forward.

14. - Top - End - #734

Turi moves on, stopping at another corridor crossing when Vershab says no magic aura is to be found in this area. To the left and right are more dark corridors, the one to the east looks like it ends in a fork, while the one to the west turns right. Ahead, another door-less room opens.

15. - Top - End - #735

NecromancerGuy

Vershab continues to stay close to Turi, not even whispering as they sneak forward. Without any loud armor the only sounds he makes are a result of his relative clumsiness. If Turi strays more than on full room from the party he will tap the young man on the shoulder and motion for them to return. If Turi doesn't, though, he will stay close and quiet.

Show
    Stealth (1d20+1)[6]

16. - Top - End - #736

Checking out the books in passing, Natala finds that the spines all show names, either of places or people, but none of them are known to her.

Moving forward with the help of Vershab's lighting, Turi finds the entry of a room, triangular in shape, the shelves along the walls covered in ancient-looking papyrus scrolls. Vershab's walking close behind him negates any chance of a discreet entrance... He notices, in the middle of the room, two very strange creatures: Crystalline bodies of uncertain shape, maybe five feet in height, with four bandy limbs, each splitting at the elbow into two three-fingered forearms. A flashing image appears in both Turi's and Vershab's minds - burning books and scrolls, the scene so realistic they can feel the heat from the inferno.

Spoiler
    Show
    What do our heroes do?

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sighing, Natala shook her head in frustration, whispering to Lehasti and her apprentice. "I do not recognize any of these names or places ... perhaps Vershab might. Shall we follow? And would you like the blessings of the old gods upon you now, or wait?”. Even as she spoke, Natala recalled her spirit armor as well.

Once complete in the initial book room, Natala followed with the others, trying to keep as quiet as possible.

Calling spirit shield; Will cast heroism on L if she wants it now. Otherwise - Stealth - (1d20+4)[14] and Perception - (1d20+1)[17]
    Show
    F +5 R +8 W +8
    Martial flexibility: 6/6; AW: 7/7: Spirit shield: 5/7; Blessings: 2/2
    Effect: Spirit shield (+6 AC, 60 min); unseen servant (6hrs); Slippers (ignore difficult terrain)

18. - Top - End - #738

NecromancerGuy

Vershab grips Turi's shoulder, holding him back from moving towards the creatures, and looks at it closely from where they are. He immediately applies himself to remembering anything from his studies that might identify the creature and explain what they just saw...

Show
    Knowledge (?) to identify the creatures: (1d20+9)[18] (Vershab has a minimum of +9 on the check, it is higher for several specific categories as follows - Nature and Planes, add an additional +1, Arcana needs an additional +6, and Religion needs +9 more)

Regardless of what he remembers, he gently pulls at Turi to try and get them both back to the rest of the party where he will report what they saw.

19. - Top - End - #739

Vershab's recollection of his studies is vague, but he recognizes these creatures as aeons, theletos aeons to be precise - extraplanar beings of unknowable motivations. Theletos aeons are associated with fate, and have supernatural powers that can bend minds and overwhelm thoughts.

20. - Top - End - #740

NecromancerGuy

"...so you will need to guard your minds closely and try to avoid them overwhelming your thoughts. In the meantime, I suggest we explore the other direction and keep our eyes open for the clockwork soldiers we encountered before. We are better prepared to fight them at this point than alien outsiders," Vershab finishes his report after the pair have returned to the entrance. "To give you an idea of what we experienced, I saw fire - arcane writings and tomes burning - and began to sweat from the perception of heat. It is hard to imagine it being more intense and realistic without it actually happening..."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    I recommend we go one of the other two directions as a party for now.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lehasti returns from her errand, presenting Turi with a handful of leather cords to match the one already bound about the handle of her gleaming falchion. Looking around and seeing her companions in a state of comparative calmness, she gestures toward the secret door. "Turi, if you'd be so kind..."

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    "Ever see lightning up close?"
    Azkin raises an eyebrow wryly at his brother, whispering back, "Like that'd be the craziest thing we've seen, lately?"

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    " And Lady, I can give you the blessings of Horus when you are ready.”'
    The paladin murmurs in reply, "At the first sign of danger, don't delay... far better to be too prepared than not prepared enough..."

The paladin takes a protective stance just behind Vershab and Turi as they examine the strange, still construct... but as they move on, she gives it a darkly suspicious glare before moving to follow, keeping the arcanist in sight but allowing Turi a bit more liberty with his movements.

As Vershab returns, describing alien, extraplanar creatures, Lehasti's eyes widen. "And these... creatures did not react to your presence, other than the... mental sensations you felt? No movement, to attack or to flee??" Attempting to blink away her puzzlement, the paladin sighs. 'If these creatures are as dangerous as they sound, I hate to have them at our backs... but they may not even be foes. If only we had some way of knowing..."
    Last edited by JWallyR; 2021-01-10 at 10:45 PM.
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

Turi pauses just before Vershab's hand clamps tightly on his shoulder. Having seen the same visions, and felt the same heat, the youngster is immediately extremely wary of the figures apparently standing sentinel in the triangular library. He makes no effort to resist the arcanist's relatively weak pull, and lets himself be led back into the relative safety of the previous library. He stumbles a bit at the doorway, mumbling "what in the nine hells was that?!" He swallows a bit dryly as Vershab elucidates.

"How do we "guard our minds?"" he groans, firmly annoyed by the impossible suggestion. He glances back towards the crossroads uneasily. "Give me a minute to check something, he mutters," before prowling southward again.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It looks like the most westward hallway is functionally a loop. If Turi can confirm this with relative safety, I'd like to do so. I imagine there's enough refraction of light from the sources in the library that none of the hallway (that I envision) will be total darkness, and if any is, it will be a very brief couple steps through it.

I had to back up to check the map. Specifically I'm trying to check the left-most loop from D/6 to ~D/14.

(1d20+15)[17] stealth to make the loop back around to the northern entrance to the rectangular library in silence
    (1d20+12)[14] perception to find traps, secret doors, other threats, or even just move safely through the area.
    Spoiler: if helpful to adjudicate, additional perception checks:
    Show
    (1d20+12)[24] (1d20+12)[21]

23. - Top - End - #743

Turi quickly walks a few steps into the corridor to the west, and confirms that it loops back towards the underground complex's entrance.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

"Well that's good," Turi grunts. "Just a hallway over there." He pauses to reconsider his companions words before adding.

"Do you want me to try to break this thing before it has a chance to get moving?" he asks, hooking a thumb at the 3-legged, 4-armed clockwork creature.

25. - Top - End - #745

NecromancerGuy

"Oh no! Don't break it! At least...not permanently," responds Vershab emphatically. "It may be impossible to recreate such an antique construct, and who knows what use it may prove to us if we can find its key?

Now, on the other hand, if you want to be sure no one else can wind it up without you correcting your...adjustments...that seems reasonable enough...
    "

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    If we find the key, the construct may be able to help us find the information we need. Who knows?

26. - Top - End - #746

Turi fails to find purchase inside the intricate workings of the machine. Disappointed, he takes another look at it: Its inert "facial" features look like the contraption is mocking him.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Turi frowns, thoroughly confused. "Well, whoever made this thing is a lot smarter than me. Like, a lot, a lot," he grumps. "Any other grand ideas or shall we go looking for a fight?"

28. - Top - End - #748

NecromancerGuy

Vershab audibly sighs in relief as Turi finds no purchase on the strange construct. with a nod he looks to the three branches of the hallway, clearly expecting someone else to take the lead. After a moment he seems to think of something and asks, "Shall we cast empowering enchantments first?"

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Natala frowned at the description of the beings and her companions visions. "So these beings are neither good nor bad, but associated with fate? If we presume they were set here as guardians, then what might your vision be ... are warning of the consequences of our actions, or a glimpse at some sort of failsafe? Why would this complex have such protections when the hidden library of dangerous information did not?

Unless these creatures are actually trapped here as well ... ”

Trailing off, Natala called upon Osiris to enhance Lehasti’s abilities. Then she stood ready to either fight or call forth assistance as necessary.

Cast heroism on L. Ready to cast summon monster 3 if requested. KS - (1d20+4)[19] to help identify the creatures possible purpose here. Add +5 more if History would work
    Show
    F +5 R +8 W +8
    Spells: (Unl) guidance, detect magic, create water, read magic, detect poison, stabilize, mending, ghost sound, mage hand / (7/8) cure light wounds, unseen servant, ray of sickening, divine favor, remove fear, bless, protection vs evil / (7) cure moderate wounds, levitate, minor image, spiritual weapon, burst of radiance, lesser restoration, spear of purity / (3/5) cure serious wounds, heroism, searing light, summon monster 3
    Martial flexibility: 6/6; AW: 7/7: Spirit shield: 5/7; Blessings: 2/2
    Effect: Spirit shield (+6 AC, 60 min); unseen servant (6hrs); Slippers (ignore difficult terrain)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-03-12 at 01:21 AM.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Turi does his very best to follow Natala's concerns, but ends up blinking dumbly at her final question. "Um. I think this library probably has even more dangerous information? After all, it was hidden and has some pretty, uh... mean guardians."