New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default A talking lute? Surely you must be mad, old man

Rhovandir, Morko, Dunner and Isabel, please look away

Recently one of my players found a magic lute, which talked to him a bit, telling him to pick it up, etc. But the thing is, the lute doesn't actually talk to him, it's all in his head. The character is an old man who has gone just a bit insane during his time trapped in the Astral Sea, and I think it would be funny if it turns out he's just imagining the voice. My problem is that I don't quite know how to make this known to the player. I don't just want to tell him outright, but it shouldn't be completely non-obvious either, as the campaign is wrapping up in a few sessions. Any advice on how I can roleplay this voice in a way that indicates that it's just a voice in his head, or otherwise drop some hints to this fact?

Thanks!
    Last edited by DMLoeffe; 2018-04-27 at 01:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: A talking lute? Surely you must be mad, old man

Have it know things or talk about things only hes seen or done, things it shouldnt be able to know about.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Works in silence effects and other places where magic is suppressed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Secretly inform the other players that they don't hear anything, but suggest they try not to call him crazy?
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You don't have to engineer anything to make it known to him. Just make sure that you operate within the premise and don't allow the other PCs to act as if they were hearing the lute. The player should only discover that his character is touched on his own initiative by trying to suss out what the deal is with the lute.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

By the way, do you know this player well enough to know he will not start yelling about you taking over his character by making him crazy? Just checking...
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!