New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Subclass Contest Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Oath Spells
    I'm not sure about a Paladin getting Spirit Guardian, it seems pretty powerful for an already powerful class in my mind. Also, you have 3 spells at level 17.

Whoops! I had been picking out spells that I felt were thematically appropriate at each level, and then dropping down to two - apparently I forget to drop down to two for level 17. Fixed now, I removed Rary's Telepathic Bond. I also swapped out Spirit Guardian for Tiny Servant.

Channel Divinity - I'm not sure about Inspiring Presence, it is just so close to the college of glamour ability. It does allow AoOs and happens less often, but should gives more temp HP so I think balance is fine. I personally wouldn't mind seeing something a little more differentiated from the bard ability here.
    I really like Leader of Men though, this is a pretty powerful ability and could certainly be used all the time. Give that this channel divinity option is there, you could make the other one more of a niche ability if you wanted to.
    I'll be honest - I forgot about the College of Glamour entirely. Inspiring Presence is meant to be a kind of rallying cry - bring everyone together and bolster them - which I think is appropriate enough here that I don't want to change it.

Aura of Leadership - This is an interesting take on the aura since it isn't directly combat related like more. It seems incredibly powerful at first, but isn't as much as you think on it more. Considering that Paladin's only get 4 skill prof it isn't as overpowered as I initially though. Although, one thing to consider is how to treat skills that the Paladin has expertise in (multiclassing into bard/rogue or feats).
    King's Touch - "next time they move out of your Aura of Grandeur" what is the aura of grandeur? I don't see that anywhere. This same reference is in your Divine Right ability.

I originally had the level 7 Aura called Aura of Grandeur, so this is a holdover from that. Fixed now.

Divine Right - Something feels off on this one. Maybe it's that nearly all other Paladin level 20 abilities are for X amount of time. I do also worry about breaking bounded accuracy with the +1s you can grant to other players, especially since you can grant temp HP extremely easily out of combat. On the other hand it's a 20th level ability. So god like powerful is almost expected.
    It's based on the level 20 Redemption Paladin, as far as not being an activated ability goes. That said, it's not exactly an always-on thing since it's basically just a boost to all the things you do as a Royalty Paladin.
    I think that the bounded accuracy should be fine - you're giving at best a +2 to someone's attack roll, if they have temp HP from you and you've used Leader of Men on them. And yeah, as a capstone it
    should​ be strong.
    [/SPOILER]
    Last edited by theVoidWatches; 2019-06-06 at 11:45 AM.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

2. - Top - End - #662
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Marked for a Swift End - Should say 1 Ki point instead of a ki point. How often does the free dodge trigger? When does this end if the creature doesn't die?

Follow, with Haste - How long does this last? It also may be simpler to just say how much of a speed bonus they get.

Danger at the Fore - Simplify this. "If you are included within the area of effect of a trap, you may use your reaction to ..." Don't worry about being the first or anything like that. It's an added complications.

The End Brought About - So, you could potentially heal 100 HPs for 3 Ki cost? That's pretty darn powerful, but at a large risk I suppose.
    MfaSE - Fixed and altered a bit. The Mark lasts for a minute now, and so does the Dodge. Also I changed the AC bonus to a to-hit bonus. It makes more sense with the theme. I brought the Ki numbers down though. A +5 to hit is a bit much even at level 17. How does that look?

F,wH - It lasts for a minute and I simplified it.

DatF - Simplified, but I'm worried it doesn't encourage the monk to be at the front of the marching order anymore. That's kinda what I was going for. Also, should I add a sentence about environmental effects? If a tunnel collapses, should DatF be able to hold the passage open?

TEBA - I went back and for on the numbers on that one a bit, but ended up going 1d10x10 because of simplicity and the fact that it has the same range as the damage on a success on Quivering Palm's save.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Personal opinion, but I'm not a fan of penalizing characters for 'daring' to roll higher on initiative. If there's a way for a character to hold their turn so the Monk goes first, then I honestly think you should allow them to gain the benefit of the feature by doing so.
    After some thought, I agreed with you. If they are holding their actions to get the speed boost that also means that they aren't moving on the first round of combat, which is a significant enough sacrifice to begin with. Kind of like a reverse of the Tabaxi ability; don't move now but be faster later.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I feel dumb that the last 2 subclasses I posted here in the homebrew forum are both Leadership oriented, and now it's the theme and I have to think of another one.

I'm sure I'll be able to, but still.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RickAsWritten View Post
    MfaSE - Fixed and altered a bit. The Mark lasts for a minute now, and so does the Dodge. Also I changed the AC bonus to a to-hit bonus. It makes more sense with the theme. I brought the Ki numbers down though. A +5 to hit is a bit much even at level 17. How does that look?

F,wH - It lasts for a minute and I simplified it.

DatF - Simplified, but I'm worried it doesn't encourage the monk to be at the front of the marching order anymore. That's kinda what I was going for. Also, should I add a sentence about environmental effects? If a tunnel collapses, should DatF be able to hold the passage open?

TEBA - I went back and for on the numbers on that one a bit, but ended up going 1d10x10 because of simplicity and the fact that it has the same range as the damage on a success on Quivering Palm's save.
    You could add environmental effects without it harming any balance things really. At a cost of 5 ki you are really paying for it, so if someone is willing to do that seems fine with me. If you really wanted to feel of the monk being out front you can say
    "By 11th level, you always ensure that you are the first to put yourself in harm’s way and your mystic training has prepared you for the risks. If you trigger a trap..." That way it's the the monk who is out front leading the way and it is still simpler language than before.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

5. - Top - End - #665
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

You could add environmental effects without it harming any balance things really. At a cost of 5 ki you are really paying for it, so if someone is willing to do that seems fine with me. If you really wanted to feel of the monk being out front you can say
    "By 11th level, you always ensure that you are the first to put yourself in harm’s way and your mystic training has prepared you for the risks. If you trigger a trap..." That way it's the the monk who is out front leading the way and it is still simpler language than before.
    Good stuff, thanks. Adjusted and updated.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I tried my hand at a ranger subclass first, but nothing was really jumping out at me about it, so I decided to try something else. I give you the Savage Leader, the barbarian in charge of his very own horde.

I like it so far, but there are a few rough spots that may need worked out. My biggest concern is that the third level ability is a bit too passive, or won't have enough impact on the battle because it won't always go off when it needs to. Any suggestions or alternatives? I could turn it into an activated ability, either with a certain number of uses or that requires an intimidation check, but I'm not entirely sure about that.
    "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!"

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html

7. - Top - End - #667
    Bugbear in the Playground

Made a few changes. Still trying to rename the problematical ones, but I may just add a sentence that says that battle secrets that share a name with any other feature have nothing to do with that other feature lol. Chromatic Metamorphosis (was Chromoatic Apotheosis) is now, I hope, clearer: its supposed to be a one-time escape from death, and afterwards you get some light/radiance based abilities.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

I really like the concept of a lost dead god as a warlock patron in return for gaining more followers.
    Thanks! I noticed this after I started revisions, but I totally agree with everything you said, what you saw was a VERY rough draft, but I'm glad you liked the concept, I've worked more with that concept in the revisions so far.

As I say -This one is pretty broken when it comes to bounded accuracy and multiclassing. Can you imagine a Paladin dipping into warlock to get an immediate +3 or +4 to all attack rolls and saving through? Or even crazier, a Level 6 Paladin/Level 1 Vestige Warlock getting 2x Charisma Mod to saving throws? You would rarely ever fail a saving throw. If you want this ability, it really needs to be a capstone and even then it may be to powerful. It certainly shouldn't be a level 1 ability.
    Totally agree, I was on the fence about this, and decided to wait to see if anyone thought it should go. I'm replacing it with a bonus equal to half your Proficiency bonus, please tell me if that works or if I should scrap the entire feature.
    As I Do - So do they gain this when if they rest within 30 feet and keep it, or when they are within 30 feet like an aura? Does this apply to you too?
    Also, there are some pretty powerful options here. Giving Devil's sight to everyone is great. What about invocations that allow you to cast a spell, what's the casting stat for attack/DC? What about invocations that require a certain pact, can you use those (think improved pact weapon)? What happens with spell casting invocations that let you cast a spell once per long rest and you switch to a different invocation during a short rest?
    Overall this is a pretty interesting ability, but it is rife with questions and clarifications that are needed.
    So, I think I answered the prerequisite question in the feature itself, if not I'll fix that. as for the other questions, very valid ones and I'll answer them as I renovate the subclass. Thanks for asking or I probably wouldn't have noticed.
    Out Of One - 30 feet of casting or 30 feet of you? Also this could pretty dangerous in the amount of damage you are giving to others. We are level 11, at the end of a long rest I cast Hex. Now the PAM fighter who gets 4 attacks in a round is getting an extra 1d6 for each attack. This really, really adds up. Since hex affects one or more creatures it's a legit choice here.
    I'm not really sure about this feature, it feels like too much. The original idea was to make it be you were under affect of the spell as long as you were in 30 feet. I plan on decreasing the range to ten feet. Also, the spell only affects non hostile creatures in the field as if you had cast it on them, so if you cast hex with it, then the allies in the field would be under the affects of hex, letting you deal an extra 1d6 of damage to them, sorry if I wasn't clear about that. Anyways, being in a constant buff spell affect is crazy, so I'm kinda worried about that being really dangerous and OP, tell me if you think I shouldn't remove it.

Perfect Harmony - Holy cow, your melee friends are going to love this. Especially since you make an attack roll for each EB ray. This seems broken good, even for a capstone.
    Your probably right, but would lowering the range to 10 feet negate that? My plan for lowering the range of everything is to make it so your fighters and anyone who wants your buffs has to form around you in a combat formation or just stick close, thus actively making the team more team-like, as they now have incentive to stick together.

I will begin reviews of everyone's subclasses when I get the chance, thanks for all reviews and suggestions so far!
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2019-06-06 at 08:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Ok, I know I just posted, but this desserves it's own post and I don't want to delete the last one. I'm completely changing the Vestige to be about raising followers of a religion, this involves changing everything. The new main feature, which I will build upon, is a feature that grants a number of loyal followers based on your charisma modifier, they're supposed to be weak unontelegent creatures at first that grow in strength and possibly number over time until they're not quite clerics and paladins, think goblins and kobolds in armor much to big for them trying to swing human sized axes and swords whilst chanting an off key tune to a dead god.
    Last edited by moonfly7; 2019-06-06 at 09:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Pixie in the Playground

Well it looks like I'm in with a last minute entry of the Path of the War Chief. I personally love barbarians and love the potential of them being more than a beat stick. So, of course, I made them a helpful beat stick, encouraging the party and distracting the enemy with their roars of fury! I'm not entirely sure about the passive damage buff to the party while raging but I think its not an overly significant increase, even at later levels. This path also has a lot of emphasis on using reckless attack, allowing both for slight offensive and defensive buffs. Not going to lie, the 14th level feature is pretty much the mastermind rouge's 3rd level feature, just tied to rage instead of being a passive ability.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsluger View Post
    Well it looks like I'm in with a last minute entry of the Path of the War Chief. I personally love barbarians and love the potential of them being more than a beat stick. So, of course, I made them a helpful beat stick, encouraging the party and distracting the enemy with their roars of fury! I'm not entirely sure about the passive damage buff to the party while raging but I think its not an overly significant increase, even at later levels. This path also has a lot of emphasis on using reckless attack, allowing both for slight offensive and defensive buffs. Not going to lie, the 14th level feature is pretty much the mastermind rouge's 3rd level feature, just tied to rage instead of being a passive ability.
    It needs to be in by July 7th, not June :) You have plenty of time to edit and work on it.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

12. - Top - End - #672
    Pixie in the Playground

It needs to be in by July 7th, not June :) You have plenty of time to edit and work on it.
    Oh, wow. Somehow got the month wrong and thought I had just sneaked in. My bad.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Kingsluger, I love your Barbarian leader concept. I have a soft spot for Barbarians as well and, like you, would love to see them as something more than just a beat stick. Not something OTHER than a beat stick, mind, I love me a good beat stick, but a beat stick AND something is nice! Quick change I'd implement is fixing the typo in the name of the class, cheif -> chief.

Barbarian Path of the War Cheif

The Lone Wolf Dies
    Beginning when you choose this subclass at 3rd level, you are able to create openings for your allies to strike with your wild swings. Whenever you use your reckless attack feature and hit a creature with a melee attack using Strength, the next attack made against that creature by an ally other than you is made at advantage so long as the attack is made before the beginning of your next turn.
    I love how this works off Reckless Attack and encourages you to use it, really working that high-risk, high-reward playstyle. When I read your subclass first you had this level deal with advantage against the frightened condition and some other circumstantial effects, if I remember correctly? I think you made the right choice in changing it to be more widely applicable. This way the War Chief Barbarian really FEELS like a War Chief every encounter, right from the gate.

In the PHB the phrasing under rage is 'melee weapon attack', I notice you use the term 'melee attack'. I'm not well-versed enough in the minutiae of the rules to see if that phrasing changes anything. Does it?

Mob Rule
    Starting at 6th level, your allies are emboldened by your rage. Willing creatures you choose within 30 feet gain a bonus to their damage rolls equal to half of your rage bonus (rounding up) while you are raging. At 14th level, this feature grants an additional +1 bonus to your allies damage rolls while you are raging. You do not benefit from the bonuses applied by this feature.
    A solid, if a bit dull, ability. A simple static +x that doesn't encourage any change in playstyle for your or your allies, or contribute to the feel of being a War Chief. That being said, I do like this ability, and it's very effective and doing what you want it to do. Just doesn't have the same OOMPH, YOU'RE A WAR CHIEF NOW, AND WAR CHIEFS PLAY LIKE THIS! that The Lone Wolf Dies feature has.

The Pack Survives
    Starting at 10th level, you learn to sacrifice yourself for your allies, using your intimidating presence to force the enemy to focus their attention on you. Whenever a hostile creature within 5 feet of you would have advantage on an attack roll against you, it makes attack rolls against creatures other than you at disadvantage.
    Would have advantage against you = when you use reckless attack. I gotta admit I'm loving how true to form this is with the level 3 ability. If a War Chief isn't taking risks for his buddies, he's not doing it right! Makes for some interesting, kind of humorous interplay with status conditions as it is currently phrased, though. If you're blinded, frightened, paralysed, petrified, prone, restrained, stunned, or even unconscious, you impose disadvantage by default. If the enemy is invisible, which grants them advantage on attack rolls, and therefore advantage on an attack roll against you, does that make the War Chief impose disadvantage on attack rolls against his allies, nullifying the advantage the enemy has from being invisible?

If these interactions are unintentional and you meant for this ability to only work with Reckless Attack, or at least not with status conditions, it needs to be rephrased. But again, by RAI as I interpret it, I really like this feature.

Scream and Shout
    At 14th level, you are able to distract your foes with taunts and shouts, even in your enraged state. You can use the Help action as a bonus action while raging. Additionally, when you use the Help action to aid an ally in attacking a creature, the target of that attack can be within 30 feet of you, rather than 5 feet of you. The target must be able to either see or hear you.
    This is just solid, in my view. Mechanically clean and simple and does what it's meant to do.

Overall, I'm really happy to see a good Barbarian Leader come out of this competition!

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, wow. Somehow got the month wrong and thought I had just sneaked in. My bad.
    No worries, you made me question it for a second though, thinking I needed to finalize mine immediately :)

Spoiler: Barbarian: Savage Leader
    Show

Undaunted Horde - I'm not sure about the others adding the rage bonus to damage on succeeding on a saving throw. It seems like it would almost be to common of a case. Especially since there are a lot of con saving throws that you will succeed on. I think this either needs to have a cost (bonus action/reaction) or be a tiny bit more limited in how often it procs.

Reckless Frenzy - "If they use their reaction, they have advantage on this attack....." As written currently even if they don't use their reaction all attacks against them have advantage.

Imposing Leader - I like it, thank you for putting non combat stuff in for a barbarian. I feel like they need more of this stuff.

Spoiler: Barbarian Path of the War Cheif
    Show

Piddly complaint, but it's spelled Chief not Cheif.

The Lone Wolf Dies - I like the ability on this one. You may want to consider making it a the next melee attack instead of attack, but that it your judgement.

The Pack Survives - This is an interesting ability here. I'm not sure how often it would come up in play, but it certainly encourages the use of the reckless attack feature.

Scream and Shout - As you said, it's stealing from the mastermind. I might even consider giving this outside of raging to make it a more powerful capstone.

The one complaint I have here is that absolutely everything for the barbarian is combat related. There is nothing here that can be used for the social or exploration tiers of the game. Most other barbarian subclasses have at least one ability that is not a direct combat benefit.

Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ogre in the Playground

No worries, you made me question it for a second though, thinking I needed to finalize mine immediately :)

Show

Undaunted Horde - I'm not sure about the others adding the rage bonus to damage on succeeding on a saving throw. It seems like it would almost be to common of a case. Especially since there are a lot of con saving throws that you will succeed on. I think this either needs to have a cost (bonus action/reaction) or be a tiny bit more limited in how often it procs.

Reckless Frenzy - "If they use their reaction, they have advantage on this attack....." As written currently even if they don't use their reaction all attacks against them have advantage.

Imposing Leader - I like it, thank you for putting non combat stuff in for a barbarian. I feel like they need more of this stuff.

Spoiler: Barbarian Path of the War Cheif
    Show

The Lone Wolf Dies - I like the ability on this one. You may want to consider making it a the next melee attack instead of attack, but that it your judgement.

The Pack Survives - This is an interesting ability here. I'm not sure how often it would come up in play, but it certainly encourages the use of the reckless attack feature.

Scream and Shout - As you said, it's stealing from the mastermind. I might even consider giving this outside of raging to make it a more powerful capstone.

The one complaint I have here is that absolutely everything for the barbarian is combat related. There is nothing here that can be used for the social or exploration tiers of the game. Most other barbarian subclasses have at least one ability that is not a direct combat benefit.

I had to double check I hadn't put in the wrong month in the initial post!
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Snuck in my first ever entry with "The Warlord" archetype for Fighters - curious to see what people think!

17. - Top - End - #677
    Pixie in the Playground

Fixed it, Cheif.

I tried replacing the nice but somewhat boring ability which added half the rage damage bonus to allies with one which, while having shaky wording, should allow for some tense negotiations and avoiding combat. Thank you for the feedback.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sigurdur130 View Post
    Would have advantage against you = when you use reckless attack. I gotta admit I'm loving how true to form this is with the level 3 ability. If a War Chief isn't taking risks for his buddies, he's not doing it right! Makes for some interesting, kind of humorous interplay with status conditions as it is currently phrased, though. If you're blinded, frightened, paralysed, petrified, prone, restrained, stunned, or even unconscious, you impose disadvantage by default. If the enemy is invisible, which grants them advantage on attack rolls, and therefore advantage on an attack roll against you, does that make the War Chief impose disadvantage on attack rolls against his allies, nullifying the advantage the enemy has from being invisible?

If these interactions are unintentional and you meant for this ability to only work with Reckless Attack, or at least not with status conditions, it needs to be rephrased. But again, by RAI as I interpret it, I really like this feature.
    It was definitely intended to work with reckless attack however, the other interactions with conditions were considered. The general feel I was going for was the War Chief having such a presence on the battlefield that it's hard not to focus on him. Kind of a "I could attack the rogue, yeah but the big guy is on his back" situation. It ultimately makes the enemies have to focus more on the War Chief and consider positioning, since to circumvent this disadvantage is as easy as leaving 5 foot range from the barbarian, though that will in most cases lead to an attack of opportunity as a trade-off.
    Last edited by Kingsluger; 2019-06-08 at 11:29 AM.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Show

Nice catch on the advantage, I just fixed that, thanks. As for Undaunted Horde, I just changed that a bit. Dropped the triggering on saving throws, but added that it has to be a melee weapon attack and that allies that are close to you can also trigger it as well. I didn't want the first feature the class grants to be too unreliable, but I also fixed it so that it can't stack with itself if more than one trigger occurs before it wears off. Damage wise I don't think it'll get too out of hand.
    if you have maybe three or four allies, unless you're travelling with a gaggle of monks, then it'll add maybe 12 to 16 damage in a round, assuming they all hit. Reckless Frenzy could add 6 to 8 more, for about 24 damage at most in normal scenarios. Probably not too incomparable to an Eldritch Knight dropping Hold Person at an inconvenient moment. I may just pull it back a little anyway by limiting it to only adding the rage bonus to the first melee weapon attack they make before your next turn.

I also added a little more to Imposing Leader, to open up a few more fun roleplay moments for the barbarian, like just walking into a tavern, yelling at everyone inside, and then walking out with an entourage of loyal followers both impressed by your strength, and thinking it may be best to be on your side instead of against you. Or maybe they just wanna see you beat people up. Lots of possibilities.
    Last edited by SleeplessWriter; 2019-06-09 at 01:17 AM.
    "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!"

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html

20. - Top - End - #680
    Ettin in the Playground

More reviews and comments

I believe the only things I need other than this are the re-vamped Vestige and MoG's Marshal, but I will wait on those until they are more complete.

Spoiler: Fighter Martial Archetype: The Warlord
    Show

Master Tactician - So, is there a cost to sharing your action surge/second wind? Or can you just do it? Do they have to spend a bonus action during their turn for second wind? This needs a little bit more clarification. Also, Proficiency/Expertise in three skills seems like a little much to me. I would give them Prof in initiative and a choice of one other skill. That feels more in line with the Arcane Archer, Samurai, and Chevalier.

Rally the Troops - This feel pretty powerful to me, plus I'm not a huge fan of giving a fighter subclass something that is defining to the rogue. I can see charisma bonus and bonus action help.

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! - Since you are sharing your indomitable will feature outside of your turn, it seems appropriate that it would cost the PCs reaction.

You are doing a really good job here of making a fighter subclass that spends a lot of it's time helping out other people and making them more effective. My only problem is that it doesn't feel like it is adding much new as much as getting more of your fighter core features and giving them to someone else instead.

Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

21. - Top - End - #681

DwarfClericGuy

More reviews and comments

I believe the only things I need other than this are the re-vamped Vestige and MoG's Marshal, but I will wait on those until they are more complete.

Spoiler: Fighter Martial Archetype: The Warlord
    Show

Master Tactician - So, is there a cost to sharing your action surge/second wind? Or can you just do it? Do they have to spend a bonus action during their turn for second wind? This needs a little bit more clarification. Also, Proficiency/Expertise in three skills seems like a little much to me. I would give them Prof in initiative and a choice of one other skill. That feels more in line with the Arcane Archer, Samurai, and Chevalier.

Rally the Troops - This feel pretty powerful to me, plus I'm not a huge fan of giving a fighter subclass something that is defining to the rogue. I can see charisma bonus and bonus action help.

Never Give Up! Never Surrender! - Since you are sharing your indomitable will feature outside of your turn, it seems appropriate that it would cost the PCs reaction.

You are doing a really good job here of making a fighter subclass that spends a lot of it's time helping out other people and making them more effective. My only problem is that it doesn't feel like it is adding much new as much as getting more of your fighter core features and giving them to someone else instead.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Spoiler
    Show

Master Tactician: I agree, so I did spell it out. I also didn't love that this archetype spiked like crazy at level 18 after kind of being lame for the first 18 levels, so now it is A) More clear what "sharing" Second Wind means; B) Action Surge is now that someone else gets to use their reaction to make an attack when you use it, and C) less skill bonus to be more fair.

Rally the Troops: I made the CHA bonus to just damage to not mess with bounded accuracy, and lowered it to just Help as a bonus action.

Never Give Up! Never Surrender: Indomitable "just works" and I hate to make it take your reaction...is it unbalanced/too weird if it "just works"? I tried to clean up the wording at any rate.

Overall I tried to make it so that instead of letting someone be more awesome INSTEAD of the Fighter, you get to be awesome AND let your teammates be awesome too. That's more powerful, so a few things like Bonus Action Disengage and double proficiency to certain skills got dropped. How does it look now?

22. - Top - End - #682
    Colossus in the Playground

I thought I'd give a shot at it. The Fair One Sorceress is meant to beguile and enthrall and cause her favored champions to serve as her agents, wittingly or not.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7915 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!
    Spoiler
    Show

Master Tactician: I agree, so I did spell it out. I also didn't love that this archetype spiked like crazy at level 18 after kind of being lame for the first 18 levels, so now it is A) More clear what "sharing" Second Wind means; B) Action Surge is now that someone else gets to use their reaction to make an attack when you use it, and C) less skill bonus to be more fair.

Rally the Troops: I made the CHA bonus to just damage to not mess with bounded accuracy, and lowered it to just Help as a bonus action.

Never Give Up! Never Surrender: Indomitable "just works" and I hate to make it take your reaction...is it unbalanced/too weird if it "just works"? I tried to clean up the wording at any rate.

Overall I tried to make it so that instead of letting someone be more awesome INSTEAD of the Fighter, you get to be awesome AND let your teammates be awesome too. That's more powerful, so a few things like Bonus Action Disengage and double proficiency to certain skills got dropped. How does it look now?
    I'll check it out the changes tomorrow morning and let you know.

I don't think it is to unbalanced for indomitable to just work, but I'm just struggling with how it works in my mind. How do you give someone this ability without putting some effort into it. It just feels off to me not to require a reaction to intact with someone outside your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I thought I'd give a shot at it. The Fair One Sorceress is meant to beguile and enthrall and cause her favored champions to serve as her agents, wittingly or not.
    I will try and take a look and give comments tomorrow Segev. I looked at it earlier and all my mind saw was a wall of text instead of actual words (which tells me that I'm to tired to effectively comment at the moment)
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

24. - Top - End - #684

I will try and take a look and give comments tomorrow Segev. I looked at it earlier and all my mind saw was a wall of text instead of actual words (which tells me that I'm to tired to effectively comment at the moment)
    Appreciated; it isn't my best work in terms of concise pith. ^^; I do hope the mechanics, at least, are legible when you're not too tired.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm thinking of entering with a sorcerer bloodline. Something about a long lineage of magical rulers, like emprerors or... kings.

Something like a sorcerer king....

THE SORCERER KING, UNDEFEATABLE!!!11!1 tHE sTONGEST!11!

Sorry. Probably gonna call it Imperial soul.

26. - Top - End - #686

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodcloud View Post
    I'm thinking of entering with a sorcerer bloodline. Something about a long lineage of magical rulers, like emprerors or... kings.

Something like a sorcerer king....

THE SORCERER KING, UNDEFEATABLE!!!11!1 tHE sTONGEST!11!

Sorry. Probably gonna call it Imperial soul.
    Gah, I had a knee-jerk "What made him decide to come to this subforum!?" reaction to just the font-size and opening words. Took reading the poster name and realizing the rest put it in context as a joke to keep me from going for that little triangle in the bottom of the post. Well played, sir. Well played.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Hey all! Just posted the first draft of my College of Professors. It's really rough right now, and is honestly my first time homebrewing a subclass, so let me know what you think and how I can improve! I'll add the fluff soon that should hopefully tie it to the theme better. I'm most worried about Arcane Instruction being over powered, or weirdly worded.
    Last edited by Nicrosil; 2019-06-10 at 03:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

The Arrogate is up.

It was a little difficult to make something that stands out (all classes were used, save Druid, Rogue, and artificer), but I think this works.

The Arrogate is a Roguish Archetype that empowers their allies while fighting. They can sacrifice sneak attack damage to inspire a teammate to attack, adding the sacrificed damage to their attack.

The original conceit was a privateer, but I grabbed the title of the character Heden from Matt Colville's Priest, who also acts as a character who is allowed to do illegal things for the greater good.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

29. - Top - End - #689

DwarfClericGuy

I'm also new, so grain of salt on any of my feedback, but...

Spoiler: The Arrogate
    Show

Coordinated Attack: Seems fine, but it is a bit of a shame that it won't work if you are in an all-caster party. A lot of us have done "may make an attack or use a cantrip"; that may be what you want to do as well. This is the star of the show, however, and it's super cool.

Distracting Presence: Seems really good, but the wording needs to be cleaned up - I think something is missing just at the start.

Get the Drop: An effective +5 Initiative to the whole party feels pretty strong...so strong that I'm not sure the rest is necessary. I'm also not sure gaining a Swim and Climb speed fits the class fantasy. Allowing the Arrogate to do a sort of "Pass without Trace"-lite effect instead would tamp down on the power, add a nice out-of-combat bonus, and better fit the class fantasy of someone leading a band of raiders or partisans to cause some mayhem.

Focus Fire: I think some wording needs to be cleaned up, since I'm a bit confused - as worded is this that you get -1d6 SA damage, then +3d6, and your ally gets +2d6 instead of the usual 1d6? I think it'd be cleaner to say "You gain +2d6 sneak attack damage, and when you utilize coordinated strike the target now gains +2d6 damage instead".

Overall: The name is neat, but a little hard to grok. I agree Privateer doesn't feel right since it will read as too nautical for the average person. I read this and thought of a Partisan or a Guerilla leader or a Rebel - and any of those might be a little more stand-out. Different strokes for different folks though. In general this is a strong chassis, but a bit simple. It also has a heavy emphasis on combat and less of an emphasis out-of-combat, and a few features that don't scream "leader" to me.

Spoiler: College of Professors
    Show

Inspiring Education: This currently seems strictly better than Crash Course; both use a Bardic Inspiration but this gives them the 1d6 as well. True, Crash Course lasts longer and can cover Languages and Tools, but I'd consider moving this down to level 3 and maybe expanding it somehow to combat? Or, you could leave it at 6 and move...

Arcane Instruction: This seems fair actually, since it is limited to 1st-level spells. Basically you are turning each Inspiration into three Spell Slots, but only for 1st level spells and only if an ally spends actions on them. Honestly one idea is to maybe have this at level 3, starting with just two uses, and then pump up the levels of spells allowed as well as the number of uses allies get as you gain levels.

Overall: Fun flavor! I like the style here - there isn't really a good way to play a professor or Maester or academic and this hits that note. A problem, however, is that until level 14 almost everything is out-of-combat bonuses. I'm not really sure how to fix this...but definitely I think this class needs a little more combat oomph.
    Last edited by Hawk7915; 2019-06-10 at 05:27 PM.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Firbolg in the Playground

Finally done with the Marshal Ranger (it's about 3rd on the list). It's a bit weird, focusing heavily on using Ranger features and providing them for allies. It's basically designed around being able to do some weird tactical decisions (like setting up an ambush or splitting the party).

Let me know what you guys think!
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!