New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: OOTS #318 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    What I didn't really understand was... why was Roy hiding Celia? Is he not allowed to have a girlfriend?
    I'm guessing that it's a combination of not wanting to get teased about it and a common view, expressed by some people on this thread, that it's a bit inappropriate to have sex on a first date.
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

2. - Top - End - #272

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialStick
    I'm guessing that it's a combination of not wanting to get teased about it and a common view, expressed by some people on this thread, that it's a bit inappropriate to have sex on a first date.
    I'll admit I was sort of wondering why he hid her too, but both of those reasons make sense. It's also possible that Roy didn't care that much, but Celia herself was shy about it. That could even potentially explain why she wasn't already gone--Roy might have thought it was no big deal and either invited or expected the others to come, but when Celia found out she freaked out a little bit.
    HUMANS....... ARE....... SUPERIORRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But she was naked! And all... articulate!!

3. - Top - End - #273

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Holy_Knight
    I'll admit I was sort of wondering why he hid her too, but both of those reasons make sense. It's also possible that Roy didn't care that much, but Celia herself was shy about it. That could even potentially explain why she wasn't already gone--Roy might have thought it was no big deal and either invited or expected the others to come, but when Celia found out she freaked out a little bit.
    Yes, even though she was clearly the agressor here, she might not have wanted to advertise that to everyone else. There still are double-standards about women being sexually aggressive, though they've really melted considerably since I was a teen. Still, all the "way to score Roy!" comments in lieu of "way to score Celia!" suggest that the double-standard remains.

From what we know of Roy, however, I'm guessing that he's as eager as Celia for the others not to know.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Pixie in the Playground

Pff, most likely she just didn't want everyone seeing her when her hair was messed up ;).

5. - Top - End - #275

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe
    Pff, most likely she just didn't want everyone seeing her when her hair was messed up ;).
    LOL. I have to admit that that would be like an awful lot of women in the real world. :D

6. - Top - End - #276
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe

That's truely drawn from life, isn*t it?

7. - Top - End - #277
    Pixie in the Playground

Still, all the "way to score Roy!" comments in lieu of "way to score Celia!" suggest that the double-standard remains.
    It's possible that this is just due to the fact that Roy is one of the main characters in the story, and Celia is still a background character (for now?).
    Lawful Good doesn\'t mean Lawful Stupid.&&You don\'t have to lie, you just have to shut your piehole.

8. - Top - End - #278

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Dags

It's possible that this is just due to the fact that Roy is one of the main characters in the story, and Celia is still a background character (for now?).
    I suspect that that's one of the reasons, along with what I suggested above. :)

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, even though she was clearly the agressor here, she might not have wanted to advertise that to everyone else. There still are double-standards about women being sexually aggressive, though they've really melted considerably since I was a teen. Still, all the "way to score Roy!" comments in lieu of "way to score Celia!" suggest that the double-standard remains.

Thus why guys call it "getting lucky" ;)

10. - Top - End - #280

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Kanashimi

Thus why guys call it "getting lucky" ;)
    Except, not with some of the whom I've been with. ;)

11. - Top - End - #281
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm just glad to see that SOMEBODY had a good new years eve.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun
    (which goes back to implying that his Wisdom is in the nether realms).
    imply nothing- it's mentioned he has no wisdom- he radicly changed alignment when owl's wisdom was cast on him.

13. - Top - End - #283

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by firehound
    imply nothing- it's mentioned he has no wisdom- he radicly changed alignment when owl's wisdom was cast on him.
    That's right. When he got the Owl's Wisdom he saw the error of his ways. It was hysterically funny. :D

Quote Originally Posted by maputo
    I'm just glad to see that SOMEBODY had a good new years eve.
    I see you're a first-time poster. Welcome to the boards, fellow medium-sized creature! ;D

14. - Top - End - #284
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlythraB
    not usually I hope.
    Word. He can go and "have a little action" with himself :P if that's his attitude.
    The member of the Australian Society for the Encouragement and Propagation of Beards. - Custom avatar by Moonsinger. Technical assistance by Quasimodo.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

I see you're a first-time poster. Welcome to the boards, fellow medium-sized creature! ;D
    Are you shure, he is a medium-sized creature? If not I'd be very, very concerned when I run into an oddlooking creature with a bunny on it's head, that looms in a dark dungeon. :o

Fortunately, this board is no dungeon. Welcome on board, maputo! :)

16. - Top - End - #286

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald_saveloy

Are you shure, he is a medium-sized creature? If not I'd be very, very concerned when I run into an oddlooking creature with a bunny on it's head, that looms in a dark dungeon. :o

Fortunately, this board is no dungeon. Welcome on board, maputo! :)
    LOL! I'm fairly confident that a wolf in sheeps clothing is a fellow medium-size creature. ;)

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Love in the sticks

What I didn't really understand was... why was Roy hiding Celia? Is he not allowed to have a girlfriend?
    It's like your brother and his girlfriend--you know they're doing it, but you don't want to have to sit and watch them bill and coo and play kissy-face. "Hey! Get a frigging room, huh?"

Kim Possible's biggest fan!

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. --Bob Dylan

18. - Top - End - #288
    Pixie in the Playground

There still are double-standards about women being sexually aggressive, though they've really melted considerably since I was a teen. Still, all the "way to score Roy!" comments in lieu of "way to score Celia!" suggest that the double-standard remains.
    Talking aboot double-standards: Did people make such a big fuzz when Hilgya and Durkon went wild?
    Dwarves are humans, too! :o

19. - Top - End - #289

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Arian

Word. He can go and "have a little action" with himself :P if that's his attitude.
    You seem quite condemnatory of men's desires, but I have seen no comparable condemnation on your part of women's desires.

Quote Originally Posted by YellowHats
    Talking aboot double-standards: Did people make such a big fuzz when Hilgya and Durkon went wild?
    Dwarves are humans, too! :o
    Welcome to the boards, YellowHats!

I recall no such similar fuss over the speed with which Durkon and Hilgya rushed to have sex. I suspect it's because they had sex and then split up in the very same strip. People probably didn't respond to the speedy progression to sex because of the speedy progression to sorrow. Of course one could point to this episode as a good example of why rushing into sex often isn't a wise idea.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Later than I intended, but here it is.
    Later than you intended?

Well, this was rather quick for me. But still, great comic.

I'd almost feel sorry for Belkar, if he did not deserve the kind of treatment that V is giving him.

And the Roy/Celia matchup is going quite well. ;D

Grovar
    Thanks to Ceika for my avatar of Tobimaro.
    Ponytaur by the awesome Dirtytabs. Thanks!

My Dragons need your help. Please?

I now have a blog. Check it out!

21. - Top - End - #291

Some people just love to see prejudice. I think the reason people are cheering Roy more than Celia is because they feel more attached to the hero of the strip than a secondary character. If Roy was a girl, people would still be cheering her more. Seriously, why does everyone seem to be paranoid about prejudice on this board? You are all so jumpy.

Oh yeah, and I didn't like this comic. I don't approve of sex outside of marraige, no matter what people say. So yes, that means every strip that features it will make me frown a bit. Additionally, the exposition was cut and dry, uncreative, and just a boring read.

Lastly, in Origins, the Oracle is referred to as a she. on page 53 durkon uses the pronoun "her" to describe the oracle. Therefor, I suggest that the Oracle is indeed V's relative. Durkon thought of the Oracle as a she, maybe Roy thought of it "he". Still, I'm confused as heck over the suggested flirting in Origins... so many questions.
    Proud dictator of the miko fan club
    If you wanna be cool and join the Miko Fan Club,
    just put Miko in your sig and make up a position!
    Ambitious lieutenant of the Miko Mafia
    nuclear physicist of the Hinjo fan club

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theKOT
    I think the reason people are cheering Roy more than Celia is because they feel more attached to the hero of the strip than a secondary character.
    Well, I haven't actually been cheering, but if I would, I would have done so because I think Celia is a much better catch than Roy.
    So, yay Roy, you hooked Celia.
    And Celia... well, Roy ain't that bad... if it works for you, I'm happy for you, girl. And may I once again say you look hot in that dress, even with morning hair.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

You seem quite condemnatory of men's desires, but I have seen no comparable condemnation on your part of women's desires.
    I've never heard a woman express the view that "a successful date" was synonymous with "a date which ended with the two people having sex", that any date that ended that way was successful, and any date that didn't end that way wasn't.

OTOH, I've heard men say that in so many words, as well as implying it in various ways.

BlythraB quoted "If a guy asks a girl out, it's usually for a little action."

I.e.:"I didn't ask you out tonight because I enjoy being in your company, or because I thought you'd like this movie, or because I think we might be able to have a good future together. Nope, I asked you out because I didn't think you'd agree to put out for me unless we did all this other garbage first. But you know what it was really all about, so let's go to it."

I don't think all men think that way, and I hope (as BlythraB said,"not usually, I hope") that the majority don't. But I know that a few do. And as I implied, it's an attitude which would totally destroy any chance of me going near his bed.

- And if a woman said it, it would destroy any chance of me going near her bed as well. :)

Re me being condemnatory of "men's desires", I'm wondering who else's voice is ringing in your head at the same time as mine, that you interpret condemnation of far more people and far more perspectives than I intend to express. I feel that you're hearing a subtext behind my comments that isn't actually there.

I'm sorry to offend you in either case, but if offending you can't be avoided, I'd prefer you were offended by an opinion I actually hold, rather than by an opinion held by "people like her" that's drowning out what I myself have to say.
    The member of the Australian Society for the Encouragement and Propagation of Beards. - Custom avatar by Moonsinger. Technical assistance by Quasimodo.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh yeah, and I didn't like this comic. I don't approve of sex outside of marraige, no matter what people say. So yes, that means every strip that features it will make me frown a bit.
    What I like about the internet is how it's helping to phase religious nuts out of society. In a worldwide forum, the things they say just sound silly. That's why I like the internet.

Sure, cuddly forums like this will tolerate them, but the rest of the world generally mocks them by now, and I love that.

So yeah. Mr. Religious guy doesn't like comics with sex outside of marriage. He thinks there's an invisible man following him around for his entire life judging everything he does, to decide whether he gets into heaven, and he believes in virgin births.

Have fun with that. The internet is phasing the crazies out, and I couldn't be happier.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Oh yeah, and I didn't like this comic. I don't approve of sex outside of marraige, no matter what people say. So yes, that means every strip that features it will make me frown a bit.
    Well, I don't approve of murder. In all likelihood I disapprove of it more than you disapprove sex outside of marriage. Still, I've laughed at lots of OoTS moments that's revolved around it. In other words, I fail to see why such outlooks on life should affect opinion on a comic strip!

26. - Top - End - #296
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Well... in addition there wasn't actual sex outside marriage. It’s was a fiction, where sex was implied. (in a different universe, with no God to condemn it(maybe there is one god that does, but then there is one to approve it too. Beside that world might not have some of the same pre-marriage sex problems that your culture has))

It’s the same point as Rogue’s: There is also only fiction, about killing, not actual killing going on.

I really liked the strip, and I don’t read a whole lot in the Bed-hair, otherwise that two young but mature people may have had sex, because the both wanted to, and liked each other on many levels. I mean they have known each other for some time, and they connected perfectly on their date. I better liked the dating strip though, that was so cute/awesome.

Then again, I come from a culture where a girl can say, before she goes out: “I want to get laid tonight”. Don’t think that makes her easy to get. Girls having the guts to say that knows what they want.

So… did you guys ever consider how much your culture affects you?

I know a girl that voted for W. Bush because he disapproved pre marriage sex, like her. In my culture that’s crazy… but maybe not in hers.

...Idless
    Former Public Relations Manager of the Miko Fan Club!

Why does it seem like 40% of all GMs have the sig indicating they are a part of the 22% that didn't start their first campaign in a tavern?

Fav Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

#1: The leperchaun costume... not so much"
    #2: :shojo: Good Gods, they teach you how to Detect Evil, but not sarcasm??
    #3: Oh, that always struck me as plan A"

To the fans out there: Keep Flying

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

Let's not get into a flamewar about this... for some people, certain acts don't fit their morality.
    As I understood it the Giant has stated that everyone is free to not like something and to state that they don't as long as they are polite and don't dictate their morality on others.
    Impying someone is a 'religious nut' for stating he dislikes (implications of) out-of-marriage sex sounds to me as rather offensive.
    Let's all be friends and accept that we are all different (and will not always be pleased with what we get to see on the internet... we'll have to deal with it).

Group hug!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Arian
    BlythraB quoted "If a guy asks a girl out, it's usually for a little action."

I.e.:"I didn't ask you out tonight because I enjoy being in your company, or because I thought you'd like this movie, or because I think we might be able to have a good future together. Nope, I asked you out because I didn't think you'd agree to put out for me unless we did all this other garbage first. But you know what it was really all about, so let's go to it."

I don't think all men think that way, and I hope (as BlythraB said,"not usually, I hope") that the majority don't. But I know that a few do. And as I implied, it's an attitude which would totally destroy any chance of me going near his bed.
    Arisan, I can tell you, that not all men are like those cave men, who only think with their "trouser titans". >:(

Unfortunately, those guys are somewhat a kind of standard in our popular culture. So, the vast majority of men, often shy persons, are therefore labeled to be one of these sex-obsessed idiots too - and are constantly rejected. Even if they are not interested in sex, but in getting into a serious relationship with an interesting and amiable woman, or maybe just a good friendship. :P

I won't expose my sexual allignment here. That's none of your bussiness. But I'lll give my two coins about one-night-stands:
    In my eye's, one-night-stands are the manifestation of our throwaway society in sexual relations: Rip him/her open, have him/her, dispose him/her the next morning! :P Truly a waste!

29. - Top - End - #299
    Orc in the Playground

I would laugh if in a few comics, celia come over to roy and says "Im pregnant". Roy would be speechless, Belkar would be laughing, and Everyone else would be. . . Whatever. Hm. . . Half Celestial, i think.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

Let's all be friends and accept that we are all different
    Well kinda my point as well, with:
    So… did you guys ever consider how much your culture affects you?

I know a girl that voted for W. Bush because he disapproved pre marriage sex, like her. In my culture that’s crazy… but maybe not in hers.
    Thats another great feature in the Internet:
    People from all over the world can meet and share. (sometimes tend to take that for granted, and that leads to not considering cultural differences online, that they otherwise would have irl)

When in Rome, do as...

but when on the Internet???

...Idless
    Former Public Relations Manager of the Miko Fan Club!

Why does it seem like 40% of all GMs have the sig indicating they are a part of the 22% that didn't start their first campaign in a tavern?

Fav Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

#1: The leperchaun costume... not so much"
    #2: :shojo: Good Gods, they teach you how to Detect Evil, but not sarcasm??
    #3: Oh, that always struck me as plan A"

To the fans out there: Keep Flying