1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: OOTS #318 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald_saveloy

Well, according to Celia herself, she's a paraelemental

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/Gian...tscript?SK=268
    Bah. That was just a play on 'paralegal.' I'm sure she's really a fey. ;D
    Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

2. - Top - End - #152

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Solmage

Hmm, that's almost a good reason to assume the definition is buggy ;D .

Gotcha! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Solmage
    Anyway, the words decipher, decrypt and decode can be used synonymously. Nontheless, this knowledge won't prevent from using this new meaning of de-crypt in a campaign : "Let's go de-crypt the countyside!" :D
    I'm thinking it'd be easier to decrypt the masoleum than the countryside. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Krytha
    hahahahaahhahaha!! good thing they didn't find Celia or it would've been curtains for her!
    Heh. Clever. Now go help Solmage decrypt the masoleum. ;)

The irony is that my favorite colors are black and red, and I almost always play chaotic good characters.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: heh

Quote Originally Posted by ed
    your tolerance for it and the tolerance for it of others are obviously not on the same setting, gregor.
    My point really didn't have much to do with anyone's tolerance level. In a thread called "Cryptograms, love 'em or hate 'em?" people could discuss whether or not they like cryptograms until 2010 and I wouldn't make a peep. But in the thread about strip 318 (not to mention 317, 315, 314, 313, 312, 311, and 310), a strip in which there is not a single encrypted word, I don't see the point in even bringing it up.

4. - Top - End - #154

Planetar

Default Re: heh

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor LeBlaque

My point really didn't have much to do with anyone's tolerance level. In a thread called "Cryptograms, love 'em or hate 'em?" people could discuss whether or not they like cryptograms until 2010 and I wouldn't make a peep. But in the thread about strip 318 (not to mention 317, 315, 314, 313, 312, 311, and 310), a strip in which there is not a single encrypted word, I don't see the point in even bringing it up.
    If you're referring to the following comments, I would point out that he was disappointed by not finally having a resolution of her speech problem. He didn't say a thing about the current strip containing a cryptogram.

Quote Originally Posted by ed
    i'm becoming increasingly frustrated w/ the dramatic plateau re: haley's speech. please for the love of pete, either have it wax or wane!

ed

5. - Top - End - #155
    Halfling in the Playground

Wow, Roy is the last one that I thought would be getting action....did I mention he's my new personal hero? ;D
    I was going to ask why Roy's hair is fine but his lover's is messed up when I realized.....Roy doesn't have any hair!
    You have no fear of me? Allow me to change that, you kind, fat snob. Hear my words and fear! I will seduce your women, drink all your ale, and leave you frolicking in the dust, happy of my visit!&&\"We should discuss this without our clothes on.\"

6. - Top - End - #156

thank you, celestial stick: that was precisely my concern.

ed
    \"i think this line\'s mostly filler\"--willow rosenberg, once more, with feeling, season 6, buffy the vampire slayer

7. - Top - End - #157
    Pixie in the Playground

Good strip.

Some thoughtworthy pieces:

Definitely liked Celia's bed-hair and her shoulder strap having fallen off her shoulder. The subtext being that they agreed to rendezvous at Roy's room at a given time and Roy and Celia overslept. Nice.

On Celia joining the party: Hook me up with that. It'd be great to see her around all the time. Plus that means that we finally have a good excuse to get rid of Belkar, the bane of the Order of the Stick both as a group and as a comic.

Death to the scribble monster!

8. - Top - End - #158

If a guy asks a girl out, it's usually for a little action.
    not usually I hope.
    ] hope she does, because if they should run into the Linear Guild we could have a huge rant from Nale about how much effort he's put into the whole "evil opposites" thing just for them to get a new member...[/Spoiler]
    I like it!
    Also as Celia mentions the previous day that "since [they're] both leaving tomorrow morning," I suspect that she will not be joining the Order.
    That was before today's strip. I'm still betting, now more than ever,
    that Celia gets pregnant.
    Aww... look at the cute little signature!

9. - Top - End - #159

MonkGuy

Very good comic. I wonder what the explosion in this one was, unless V left another hidden explosive runes waiting for Belkar. And all I can say is, way to go Roy. ;)
    http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?qwerty464
    Founder of the DNA!!!(Disabled Ninjas of Australia)
    Royal Gourmet Chef of Narf. Obey the Call of The Narf!
    Go to my Website!!--------->http://kevin.srednal.com/

10. - Top - End - #160

Oh, I sure hope Celia doesn't join the party. She isn't very interesting at all, and her main role is Roy's lover. It typically hurts stories if someone whose only role is romantic interest becomes part of the ongoing story.
    Proud dictator of the miko fan club
    If you wanna be cool and join the Miko Fan Club,
    just put Miko in your sig and make up a position!
    Ambitious lieutenant of the Miko Mafia
    nuclear physicist of the Hinjo fan club

11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Woohoo! Go Roy!

I love the way V is handling Belkar. Revenge is a dish best served with explosive magic script. :D
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Clayton Crow
    Definitely liked Celia's bed-hair and her shoulder strap having fallen off her shoulder. The subtext being that they agreed to rendezvous at Roy's room at a given time and Roy and Celia overslept. Nice.
    Well, I rather imagine this scenario:
    Roy and Celia spend the night together in Roy's room. The morning, the rest of the gang heads to Roy's room, probably ringing Roy and Celia out of bed. Both are taken completely by surprise, get quick in some clothes and Celia hides behind the curtain (Hehe - sounds a bit like this classic lover-being-caught-red-handed-thingy). This would perfectly explain the condition of Celias hair and dress. I can hardly imagine, that she would wear her evening gown, while being in bed with Roy.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

I know I should have been expecting the last panel, but somehow I wasn't. ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

14. - Top - End - #164

SolithKnightGuy

HA HA HA
    Thats just awesome.
    I failed my spot check too lol
    Celia looks like she had an energetic night....good thing Roy doesent have hair huh.
    and yes Belkar is still paying for his drunken revelry.
    Great comic! good to know things will be on the up-swing now :) cant wait
    Me Loves Thog! Currently on a mission of life and death through dangerous territory against nearly insurmountable odds to secure and bring back SPRINKLES! The fate of humanity may rest on our success...

15. - Top - End - #165
    Pixie in the Playground

I like her bed hair in the last comic, it's actually kinda attractive.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rock on!

(More fodder -or confirmation for- this slightly analy retentive thread)

But more than anything, VERY FUNNY.

I LOVE the Celia's-bum shaped lump in the curtain in the first panel. It must be said, that one of the funniest ongoing joke themes in OOTS is the 'Spot Check' one.
    Spong.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Pixie in the Playground

nice touch with the sex hair.

woot to be on the 12 page. no one ever gets credit for jumping on the band wagon.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

Funny story regarding readin explosive runes:

In an RPGA scenario, we had discovered that a powerful wizard was the culprit and were storming his tower to take him down. We found the outer door unlocked and went in. The inner door had explosive runes etched on it.

Unfortunately it was my 9th level Barbarian who was in front. So the GM said, "There's something written on the door." So I said. "That's nice, 'Hey other people, there are words on this door,' then I open it."

The GM cackled his little laugh and said "Bwa ha! The explosive runes go off."

"How?" I replied, "I have nothing but barbarian levels, I couldn't read it even if I wanted to."

One quick perusal through the rules led to the discovery that yes, explosive runes must be read. And since barbarians are very specifically illiterate unless they spend points or take other classes, the ruling was that the runes didn't go off.

The GM handled it well though. We totally caught the Wizard off guard. "Where's the kaboom? There's supposed to be a PC shattering kaboom!" Without his big trap to soften us up, we cleaned his clock pretty thoroughly.

The lesson here: READING IS BAD FOR YOU. :-P

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Hehe, cute and sexy.
    Nice comic, The Giant.
    sign by egobuttz

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Clayton Crow
    Funny story regarding readin explosive runes:

In an RPGA scenario, we had discovered that a powerful wizard was the culprit and were storming his tower to take him down. We found the outer door unlocked and went in. The inner door had explosive runes etched on it.

Unfortunately it was my 9th level Barbarian who was in front. So the GM said, "There's something written on the door." So I said. "That's nice, 'Hey other people, there are words on this door,' then I open it."

The GM cackled his little laugh and said "Bwa ha! The explosive runes go off."

"How?" I replied, "I have nothing but barbarian levels, I couldn't read it even if I wanted to."

One quick perusal through the rules led to the discovery that yes, explosive runes must be read. And since barbarians are very specifically illiterate unless they spend points or take other classes, the ruling was that the runes didn't go off.

The GM handled it well though. We totally caught the Wizard off guard. "Where's the kaboom? There's supposed to be a PC shattering kaboom!" Without his big trap to soften us up, we cleaned his clock pretty thoroughly.

The lesson here: READING IS BAD FOR YOU. :-P
    That's hilarious!
    I still bear the marks of the old Legion.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why is it that in comic form, everybody seems perfectly happy with how things turn out.

I'm sure if it was in life I wouldn't be the only one bringing up the fact that it was only their first date. :/
    I had a witty quote, but it was too long, so you get this instead.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Roy and Celia sitting in a tree-----and now this, love it.

Here comes Xykon Whoohoooo!!!
    And then we burn out........AND FADE AWAY!!!

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by High-Chancellor
    Why is it that in comic form, everybody seems perfectly happy with how things turn out.

I'm sure if it was in life I wouldn't be the only one bringing up the fact that it was only their first date. :/
    Tolerance? Even in real life, it's not uncommon, especially among people who have known each other for quite a while.
    "TORONTO. CANADA. Which is, despite common belief, NORTH of you."-Abd Al-Azrad
    "Sadly, Thray has a point."-The Glyphstone, who is NOT a cad
    "Thray wins. at the internet." Rama Lei
    "It's only confusing if you don't get it."-Thomas

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

But not their first time meeting. And they really clicked. But what do I know. ::)
    sign by egobuttz

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

How does meeting TWICE before qualify as having known eachother quite a while, pray tell?

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

How does meeting TWICE before qualify as having known eachother quite a while, pray tell?
    They were serious situations, I think. Involves more emotion then just running in to each other at the mall.
    sign by egobuttz

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Because, at least in real time (and I assumed in comic time) quite a bit of time had passed. And again, this sort of stuff is not uncommon on the first meeting irl, and especially not on the second. That's probably why most people aren't that disturbed about it-things like "one night stands" are so common that this certainly seems tame in comparison.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thray
    Because, at least in real time (and I assumed in comic time) quite a bit of time had passed. And again, this sort of stuff is not uncommon on the first meeting irl, and especially not on the second. That's probably why most people aren't that disturbed about it-things like "one night stands" are so common that this certainly seems tame in comparison.
    Indeed. Sad but true. I've seen far too many "friends with benefits" and casual sex so I'm acutally glad these characters have feelings for each other. :D
    sign by egobuttz

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Honestly I couldn't care less, generally...

But that's probably one reason that I'm mildly disturbed. They could have some kind of deep connection going and their being all "Woo! Wild Fling!" with responses of "Go Roy! You da man!"

Hoi vei...

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Honestly I couldn't care less, generally...

But that's probably one reason that I'm mildly disturbed. They could have some kind of deep connection going and their being all "Woo! Wild Fling!" with responses of "Go Roy! You da man!"

Hoi vei...
    How does sleeping together immediately stop that? I know of couples that started with quick hook-ups/FWB and lasted several years (in particular, one has lasted for 14 years, and the members are married to each other).