New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default "Wizard 20" vs "Fighters 20"

The arena: a hollow half-sphere made of pure magicproof force, with the internal radius measuring 250 ft.

The setup: The wizard pops into existence at Day -7. When time reaches Day 0, Fighters start appearing; the wizard can use this week for preparation, within the limits put forth here. 200 fighters appear at a random place on the flat-circle portion of the hollow half-sphere; when a Fighter is defeated, they and their gear disappear, and a new Fighter appears in a random place on the flat-circle portion of the hollow half-sphere. In this way, there are always 200 Fighters within the arena at all times. The game is over when the wizard is dead or otherwise incapacitated in a way that prevents them from doing anything.

The premise: how many non-casters could a caster cast out, if a caster could cast out non-casters? More clearly: presuming the caster is forced to actually play the numbers game rather than changing the rules of engagement drastically, even if they're using arbitrarily high numbers, how long can the finite resources of the caster last out against the effectively-infinite resources of the noncasters? Alternatively, is it possible to create a caster with enough at-will abilities and high enough numbers that they can't be defeated under the continuous assault of 200 variably-optimized non-casters?

Universal Restrictions: No infinite or nigh-infinite loops; the fact that you can't actually get infinite Str with Festering Anger doesn't mean you can't get NI Strength, so it counts and is illegal. If you are pulling a loop, there has to be some cost to performing it that you are not finding a way around for your build. Immunities are allowed, but as they can change the premise if relied upon too heavily, please include an idea of how well the build would perform if (instead of "immunity") the immunity-granting thing gave a +20 to your defense against the thing it would give immunity (such as +20 to escape artist from FoM, +20 to will saves from Mind Blank, +20 to AC from Hide Life, etc).

'Wizard' Restrictions: You don't have to specifically be a wizard, merely a caster (which can include clerics, druids, rangers, or hell even rogues abusing UMD really hard, and so on). Multiclassing/PrCing is allowed, provided you don't stray from the premise: you are primarily a caster before anything else, and you're using your magic to defeat your opponents. Leaving the arena via teleportation, planar travel, or extradimensional spaces results in an immediate loss for the Wizard. Summoning/calling is allowed; when summoned/called creatures are defeated, they and their gear disappear from the arena. They are subject to the same casting limitations as the wizard is, in regards to just just how cheap their tactics are allowed to be.

'Fighter' Restrictions: You don't have to specifically be a fighter, merely a non-caster (which can include barbarians, monks, spell-less rangers, scouts, and so on). It is assumed that the NI fighters present in this challenge will have a variety of builds, and that any particular fighter build will show up an arbitrary number of times over the potentially infinite time this challenge takes to complete; as such, fighters that counter a particular tactic could show up at any particular time, so the wizard needs to be ready to deal with any hypothetical fighter. Fighters are allowed to benefit from magic items, including custom items and continuous spell effect items (provided they are affordable). However, while the Fighters are allowed to benefit from UMD and use-activated magic items, or magic items with charges of spells, these effects should primarily be for leveling the playing field rather than trying to avoid being a non-caster (ie using a wand of Fly to chase after a wizard hovering out of greatsword reach, or casting buff spells from a wand that enhance existing capabilities, and at a stretch perhaps Dispel Magic and derivatives, but actual attack spells, summoning, or anything too castery shouldn't show up in fighter strats for defeating the wizard).

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: "Wizard 20" vs "Fighters 20"

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    [...] when a Fighter is defeated, they and their gear disappear[...]
    I was going to suggest the new fighters hiding behind the mount of the dead fighters but that kinda threw a wrench in my plan.

Note that if you do allow NI strength through festering anger, and you have the number of fighters set to A (let's say where A is 200), couldn't an illumian (to transfer STR to spellcasting score) have enough bonus 9th level spell slots to fight off the fighters? Essentially unlimited resources without them being infinite (unless the fighters are infinite too).
    Last edited by Feantar; 2018-07-24 at 01:34 PM.
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feantar View Post
    I was going to suggest the new fighters hiding behind the mount of the dead fighters but that kinda threw a wrench in my plan.
    I am willing to adjust the premise to make that plan viable. I mostly changed it for two reasons: 1) so there's not a flow of new magic items into the arena for the wizard to use, 2) the previous thread I found on this idea, one of the proposed ways for the fighters to defeat the wizard was for so many of them to die that their collective weight forms a star and crush the wizard with gravity. Dunno if you guys could get through enough fighters for that to be viable here, so I didn't wanna take chances. XD

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

A Wizard/Incantatrix/Primal Scholar with twenty Persistent Flash Frost Fell Drain control temperatures active at once kill every Fighter who isn't immune to cold or negative levels instantly. Unfortunately, this defense becomes instantly irrelevant, because an infinite number of Fighters instantly die until they are replaced by Fighters who are immune. I suppose it's probably possible to draft a mechanism on top of that which instantly kills the immune Fighters (probably celerity cheese), but it demonstrates that offense is basically pointless. Unless you have unbeatable offense, you're better off making yourself tankier and tankier, because killing Fighters will eventually result in creating Fighters who are immune to whatever you used to kill them.

The optimal solution for survival is to figure out exactly what counts as "defeated", debuff your starting Fighters to just above that point, and then drink mojitos as they drag their blinded and broken bodies around the arena desperately searching for you.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

So, obviously, the best caster to do this with is a 20th-level truenamer. Build isn't massively important so long as you can get a massive truespeak bonus.

Preparation
    Repeatedly utter conjunctive gate to call two noble djinn per utterance. Get them to use the three wishes they can each grant you to create an energy transformation field linked to time stop, and a bunch of other ETFs linked to a variety of different spells which will horribly murder anyone who isn't immune, and then to boost your stats, break WBL into pieces (and get items to make you immune to basically everything), and other fun things. Make sure that you can boost your truespeak check excessively high, because you're going to need it. Polymorph into a... dire tortoise, I think it is? That thing that makes you always go first. Or don't, if you're laden with enough buffs that it doesn't matter.

Fight!
    The fighters appear, then you go first. Throw an utterance heightened to, like, 50th level or something into the ETF of time stop. Then do it again a few times for good measure. Run around throwing utterances into all the other ETFs while you're at it, and cover the battlefield in a variety of different types of death. When you're ready, let time reinstate itself and watch as all the ETFs go "Hey, I have enough levels to cast like a bajilion spells." Watch the apocalypse ensue, and twenty more summoned creatures appear. Then, have a creature summoned by one of the ETFs wander into the ETF of time stop and top it just enough to throw you into another time stop (make sure you're at the right point in the field to get the benefit). It's then your turn again, so you can keep doing this until you can't actually make your truespeak checks any more.

Rest for the Wicked
    This trick is silly, but by god it's there. Technically not even infinite either. If you're wearing a ring of sustenance and can get 10,800 levels of spells (or, in this case, utterances) into the ETF of time stop, you can actually rest while time stopped. This will restore your utterances, allowing you to do it all again!

But isn't this an infinite loop?
    I mean, anything that can kill fighters ad infinitum has to be an infinite loop in some sense, but no individual piece of the puzzle is an infinite loop on its own.

Another Way Which Is Even Dumber
    Call noble djinn as before, but make them give you a bunch of Bracers of the Blast Barrier. Get the last one to polymorph you into a Garbler. Review the following information:

- Bracers of the blast barrier create a 10-foot-long wall which deals damage to each creature who enters either of its squares.
    - There are a finite number of squares in the arena.
    - Bracers of the blast barrier require you to fuel them with a spell or SLA, and use its level both as the minimum damage the barrier deals, and as the duration of the barrier.
    - Truenamers can increase the level of an utterance as high as they like, but the truespeak DC increases too.
    - Garblers always pass truespeak checks.
    - Each new fighter is placed on the ground.
    - Truenamers can fly.

Armed with this knowledge, fill the entire ground with walls of infinite-damage death for fighters, who will die, be replaced, die, be replaced, and so on, forever and ever.

(In a similar vein, though, any kind of [damage/negalevels/other bad stuff]-over-time effect that covers the whole floor and does enough to kill the fighters should work).

Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    killing Fighters will eventually result in creating Fighters who are immune to whatever you used to kill them.
    The moral of the story is that fighters are basically the same thing as MRSA.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2018-07-24 at 01:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm not sure the point of this thought experiment. Unfortunately, when you get to [class] 20, even not being a caster stops being quite so big a deal if you're allowed to spend your WBL "ideally."

This will come down to whether the fighter 20s are using magic items to overcome the wizard's casting+magic items, or to be better fighters. If the latter, the wizard can probably go on indefinitely. If the former, the wizard will lose to action deficit within the first two rounds, since the wizard can't leave the arena.

It's essentially 1 wizard 20 vs. 200 wizard 20s that are gimping themselves a little bit by relying only on items that let them play like wizards.

And there's no real way to draw a clean line of "this much magic item cheating, and no more," because the fighter 20 with full WBL can have all sorts of gear that makes him genuinely keep up with the wizard 20. And some of it will be "obviously fighter stuff," but others will not be. And there's again no way to spell out "fighter items only" without unrealistically gimping the fighter 20 builds.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jormengand View Post
    (In a similar vein, though, any kind of [damage/negalevels/other bad stuff]-over-time effect that covers the whole floor and does enough to kill the fighters should work).
    As noted, no it doesn't. The only way to win by killing Fighters is by having something that it is literally impossible to be immune to. Otherwise you're just selecting for Fighters that are immune to it. Offense basically doesn't matter, because it's self-defeating.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

As noted, no it doesn't. The only way to win by killing Fighters is by having something that it is literally impossible to be immune to. Otherwise you're just selecting for Fighters that are immune to it. Offense basically doesn't matter, because it's self-defeating.
    Assuming that the premise is "How many fighters can you kill" (which, you'll notice, it is) then offence is the only thing that matters. Plus, there must be something, or some combination of things, that it's impossible to be immune to - and the ETF build can have access to basically all the things, so as long as the fighters are at all mortal, they will die.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Assuming that the premise is "How many fighters can you kill" (which, you'll notice, it is) then offence is the only thing that matters. Plus, there must be something, or some combination of things, that it's impossible to be immune to - and the ETF build can have access to basically all the things, so as long as the fighters are at all mortal, they will die.
    The game is "how long can you last". OP is asking "is it possible to create a caster with enough at-will abilities and high enough numbers that they can't be defeated under the continuous assault of 200 variably-optimized non-casters?" The answer to that is yes, but it involves killing Fighters only until the only ones left are ones you can cripple. If build A kills 20 billion Fighters and then dies and build B kills 0 Fighters but never dies, build B has done better. Now that I think about it, the best build is just a Diplomancer. Pretty sure it is under any conditions unless you explicitly disallow it, because Fighters are always going to lose at 199 v 1.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

The game is "how long can you last". OP is asking "is it possible to create a caster with enough at-will abilities and high enough numbers that they can't be defeated under the continuous assault of 200 variably-optimized non-casters?" The answer to that is yes, but it involves killing Fighters only until the only ones left are ones you can cripple. If build A kills 20 billion Fighters and then dies and build B kills 0 Fighters but never dies, build B has done better. Now that I think about it, the best build is just a Diplomancer. Pretty sure it is under any conditions unless you explicitly disallow it, because Fighters are always going to lose at 199 v 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    The premise: how many non-casters could a caster cast out, if a caster could cast out non-casters?
    If it were just a case of lasting forever, I'd agree that the best thing is to stop the fighters from doing anything. But it's a case of how many fighters you can kill, so you have to kill fighters.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

PF answer: The "Fighter" is actually a Fetchling Fighter (Viking) with the ability to counter any form of magic with an AoO and target ongoing enhancements with a regular attack to sunder them, can use cleave at that and is actually powered by cleaving.

A female Fetchling Fighter is actuallymore brutal, because she can enter the Sanguine Angel PrC.

Note: PF has the Fighter counter a Time Stop, sunder the Contingeny and disrupt the Planar Servant in one fells swoop and also followup up with any form of (inter)dimensional travel. To forestall any complaining: Wizard is still a very active class, Fighter is a very reactive class.
    Last edited by Florian; 2018-07-24 at 02:38 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

-snip-
    The only thing in this that I think is pushing at the boundaries between regular play and NI is the part where you wish up items via genies. Getting six regular-ish items per Gate is one thing, but "break WBL into pieces (and get items to make you immune to basically everything)" feels like the kinda thing I should ask about to make sure it's not just "items gained via genie wishes don't have limits so I just make whatever".

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    I'm not sure the point of this thought experiment. Unfortunately, when you get to [class] 20, even not being a caster stops being quite so big a deal if you're allowed to spend your WBL "ideally."

It's essentially 1 wizard 20 vs. 200 wizard 20s that are gimping themselves a little bit by relying only on items that let them play like wizards.
    Yeah, I should probably put something in the OP about how the Fighters have some kind of limit on how magicky their gear is allowed to be, and how much they're allowed to use WBL to pretend to be wizards instead of just using limited spell resources to level the playing field a bit.

This will come down to whether the fighter 20s are using magic items to overcome the wizard's casting+magic items, or to be better fighters. If the latter, the wizard can probably go on indefinitely. If the former, the wizard will lose to action deficit within the first two rounds, since the wizard can't leave the arena.
    Exploring this bolded bit is the point of the thread. Everybody who comes to post in this thread, including myself, is perfectly aware that a wizard without limits can take on an infinite number of fighters without trying particularly hard.

And there's no real way to draw a clean line of "this much magic item cheating, and no more," because the fighter 20 with full WBL can have all sorts of gear that makes him genuinely keep up with the wizard 20. And some of it will be "obviously fighter stuff," but others will not be. And there's again no way to spell out "fighter items only" without unrealistically gimping the fighter 20 builds.
    "It's hard to codify a limit so we shouldn't even bother, therefore the challenge is pointless." That's part of why I'm playing it by ear; if a wizard strat comes up that plays within the rules, then things shift to "okay, so what kind of fighter can deal with that", and if it turns out such a fighter is more dependent on, say, scrolls of gate or wish to deal with the strat, that's pretty unfightery (a real word, don't look it up, just trust me). What's the line between acceptable Dispelling, careful use of AMFs, and disjunction? It may well be more of a gradient than a hard and fast line, and exploring that is part of the point of the thread.

Mainly, the point of the thread isn't "find a way to kill infinite fighters" but either "how effectively can you defend against 200 fighters for as long as possible" crossed with "how quickly and efficiently can you kill fighters before running out of resources and losing". The goal isn't about winning, it's about getting the high score, and figuring out of there's more effective strategies that don't rely on infinite cheat codes. What kinda creative, off-the-wall ideas will result in endless fighter destruction?

A slight counterpoint: if your entire offense is dependent on a single broken trick, then yes you will eventually have nothing left but fighters who are immune to that trick. Ignoring that the challenge isn't just "find a way to kill infinite fighters" for a moment (and thus killing lots and lots of fighters is an acceptable answer), the fighters surviving isn't dependent on them being immune to any trick, but on them being immune to every trick. Presuming that some method of permanent spells or at-will resources can come into play on the wizard side (resetting traps, reserve feats...idk buffing up permanently in that week and then picking up a sword? finding a way to get rests without dying?), it would be interesting to see how long you could go.

Offense and defense are both important, but ultimately a "high score" is gained by total number of fighters killed. If Wizard A kills a billion fighters and day and dies on Day 1, and Wizard B kills 2 fighters a day and dies on Day 1 billion, Wizard B is better. But if Wizard B just turtles and never kills any fighters, he hasn't one, he's just stalmating.

My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Offense absolutely isn't the only thing that matters. After all, if a perfect defense is attainable, something that renders the fighters incapable of doing any harm to the wizard, then the specific structure of the offense doesn't really matter at all. They could probably stab the fighters to death, and the number of fighters they can kill would still be infinity. The premise of the thread asserts some kinda immunity into +20 thing, but there is quite possibly a way around that. Perhaps via immunities that aren't precisely immunities (going ethereal, for example), or through a layer of immunities thick enough that it renders fighters, even 200 of them, probabilistically incapable of putting up a fight. The latter plan would only provide a really huge number of dead fighters, but the fact that it could provide a route to high numbers would still make defense a relevant attribute.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    Offense absolutely isn't the only thing that matters. After all, if a perfect defense is attainable, something that renders the fighters incapable of doing any harm to the wizard, then the specific structure of the offense doesn't really matter at all. They could probably stab the fighters to death, and the number of fighters they can kill would still be infinity. The premise of the thread asserts some kinda immunity into +20 thing, but there is quite possibly a way around that. Perhaps via immunities that aren't precisely immunities (going ethereal, for example), or through a layer of immunities thick enough that it renders fighters, even 200 of them, probabilistically incapable of putting up a fight. The latter plan would only provide a really huge number of dead fighters, but the fact that it could provide a route to high numbers would still make defense a relevant attribute.
    The point is that killing a billion and one fighters and then dying in one round is better than killing a billion fighters and living forever. Obviously, you need to survive long enough to kill the fighters, but the only statistic that's a deciding factor in victory is "Fighters killed" not "Time survived".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

The point is that killing a billion and one fighters and then dying in one round is better than killing a billion fighters and living forever. Obviously, you need to survive long enough to kill the fighters, but the only statistic that's a deciding factor in victory is "Fighters killed" not "Time survived".
    Sure, but defense is possibly a better way of achieving a higher fighter killed count than offense is. If you're actually living forever, then killing only a billion fighters doesn't make much sense. After all, you could just kill two more fighters, because you're presumably still alive, and then you'd beat the immediately dead wizard.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Sure, but defense is possibly a better way of achieving a higher fighter killed count than offense is. If you're actually living forever, then killing only a billion fighters doesn't make much sense. After all, you could just kill two more fighters, because you're presumably still alive, and then you'd beat the immediately dead wizard.
    Yes, I understand that. The fact is, though, that what I was talking about is completely unadjacent to what you were talking about.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

One way to rest, thereby restoring spell slots is to target-kill all of the fighters with the ability to dispel magic in some way, then cast rope trick and rest for up to 20 hours while the 200 fighters cannot do anything to you. Or would that count as leaving the arena via extra-dimensional space? Or would this count as "Infinite"?
    Last edited by Evoker; 2018-07-24 at 04:27 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

the basic of problem wtih threads like these is that so much comes down to adjudicating various boundaries that you can't get a clear answer.

but to give some sort of answer/comments:
    200 fighters is a lot; enough so that you really need some way to nullify all their attacks or you'd die round 1 to something getting through.
    %-based stoppers, like AC and miss chance, won't be enough, nor would DR.

not sure what build I'd use for a caster type going into this.

is there a minimum distance the fighters can appear from you?
    I'm wondering how it'd interact with things like a prismatic sphere. or various other ways to setup a barrier around yourself.
    can the fighters appear off the ground if they have some sort of flight?
    Last edited by zlefin; 2018-07-24 at 05:44 PM.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

What's the criteria for "defeated?" If you dominate a fighter, does he count as defeated? Shame the corpses disappear, collecting dread warriors of 20th level fighters could be amusing.
    If any idiot ever tells you that life would be meaningless without death, Hyperion recommends killing them!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Evoker View Post
    One way to rest, thereby restoring spell slots is to target-kill all of the fighters with the ability to dispel magic in some way, then cast rope trick and rest for up to 20 hours while the 200 fighters cannot do anything to you. Or would that count as leaving the arena via extra-dimensional space? Or would this count as "Infinite"?
    Using rope trick counts as extra-dimensional, I'm fairly certain. At the very least, it's on the list of things I was thinking of in particular when making that part of the rules. If you can find a way to get full rests without leaving the arena or dying, getting ridiculous numbers becomes much simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by zlefin View Post
    the basic of problem wtih threads like these is that so much comes down to adjudicating various boundaries that you can't get a clear answer.

but to give some sort of answer/comments:
    200 fighters is a lot; enough so that you really need some way to nullify all their attacks or you'd die round 1 to something getting through.
    %-based stoppers, like AC and miss chance, won't be enough, nor would DR.

not sure what build I'd use for a caster type going into this.

is there a minimum distance the fighters can appear from you?
    I'm wondering how it'd interact with things like a prismatic sphere. or various other ways to setup a barrier around yourself.
    can the fighters appear off the ground if they have some sort of flight?
    No minimum distance, although they have to appear in a legal space (so, one not currently occupied by creatures/objects they would be incapable of squeezing together with). That said, there's always 200 Fighters in the arena; if only incorporeal fighters can be present in the arena as it currently exists (because you've filled it with stone or cotton candy or rubber or whatever), then only incorporeal fighters will appear.

If the Fighters are capable of flight, they can appear off the ground. If it proves useful or necessary to counter a strat, fighters can be assumed to have some measure of time to buff prior to entering the arena (so they could cast fly to appear somewhere in the air instead of on the ground...although some buffs go too far towards the caster side of things). For that last bit...okay, like, there's a big difference between a fighter who is a ghost, and a fighter who casts a spell to gain ghost powers from a scroll.

EDIT: And this thread is less about reaching an objective answer of "how many fighters can a wizard defeat, assuming the wizard is forced to actually play the game rather than completely change the rules of engagement and render the challenge insignificant" and more about seeing what kinda weird tricks people pull out to get more defeats.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    What's the criteria for "defeated?" If you dominate a fighter, does he count as defeated? Shame the corpses disappear, collecting dread warriors of 20th level fighters could be amusing.
    Unless that domination is permanent, the fighter isn't defeated, merely delayed. A fighter is defeated either when they are dead or when they are otherwise rendered incapable of continuing to fight in a permanent way (Flesh To Stone, Plane Shift them away, find a way to permanently set one of their attributes to 0...murder them). If you're unsure if a method counts, we can discuss it. Again, looking for creative stuff, cuz it interests me greatly.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2018-07-24 at 06:31 PM.

My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Let's see...

Wizard-10/Incantatrix-10.

Other than the various requirements, relevant feats:
    Troll-Blooded (regeneration 1/Fire or Acid)
    Minor Shapeshift (Temp HP = level, at-will swift action)
    Fiery Burst (reserve feat: At-will ranged fire attack)
    Acidic Splatter (Reserve Feat: At-will ranged acid attack)
    Summon Elemental (reserve feat: At-will summon)
    Persistent Spell (well known)
    Planar Touchstone (Catalogs of Enlightenment(Pride domain)) (reroll 1's on saves)
    Heighten Spell
    Darkstalker

Relevant Items:
    Save boosters (especially reflex)
    Ring of Evasion (grants evasion)
    Starmantle Cloak (Ignore nonmagical weapons, DC 15 reflex for half damage vs. magical weapons)
    Ring of Freedom of Movement
    Ring of Invisibility
    Hand of Glory (extra ring slot)
    Wings of Flying

Relevant Spells:
    Energy Immunity (Acid)
    Energy Immunity (Fire)
    Mind Blank
    Time Stop

Basic strategy:
    Be flying and invisible full-time, and stay that way.
    Use Summons to hit fighters.
    Get a Reflex modifier of +13 or better.
    Seldom get hit (invisible, flying; they've got a LOT of cubes to guess at)
    Only get hit by magical weapons when I roll a 1 on reflex saves. Then reroll those.
    Keep up some temp HP at all times.
    Slowly heal all damage.

When I finally need to rest up (long, long time between!), use Incantatrix's Instant Metamagic to make a Persistent Time Stop.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    When I finally need to rest up (long, long time between!), use Incantatrix's Instant Metamagic to make a Persistent Time Stop.
    This step probably doesn't work. Most interpretations of the interaction, as I recall, dictate that you cannot really persist a time stop.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

hiding inside a dimensional locked forcecage should heavily limit how many of the fighters can engage you at once. not sure how rare fighters that could get through that would be. or what the offense plan would be eto go with that.

finding a way to get 199 non-dangerous fighter types and have them stick around, thus meaning you only have to deal with 1 dangerous one at a time would be effective. and when you need to sleep (if you need to sleep) you can leave only a non-dangerous one until it's time to resume culling.

a variety of ways to accomplish such kind of cheese; some of it would require some observation over time to assess what feats they have, and requires you to deal with a lot of them at the start, but once you can stabilize it gets way easier. so you use a pile of gated troops or whatever to handle the first waves while you set up.

sunder/disjoin all their equipment, and make sure they don't have anything which would be that relevant without any of that. a lvl 20 fighter with no equipment shouldn't be that scary.

keep 199 of the fighters dominated perpetually. with psionic dominate it might be doable (certainly the durations are sufficient to allow you to do it, getting it setup in the first place would be trickier)

keep some of the fighters alive but trapped in a condition that doesn't let them fight but doesn't count as them losing. (dim-locked forcecage again?, with some source of food/water/air)

deal so much nonlethal damage that they're unconscious and will stay that way as long as you reapply it periodically.
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

deal so much nonlethal damage that they're unconscious and will stay that way as long as you reapply it periodically.
    This. If they just respawn when dead, focus the prep and summons on keeping them all incapacitated, in whatever way possible.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

hiding inside a dimensional locked forcecage should heavily limit how many of the fighters can engage you at once. not sure how rare fighters that could get through that would be. or what the offense plan would be eto go with that.
    There's a core item that'll break it. Shield of Absorption, works as Disintegrate 2/day.

keep 199 of the fighters dominated perpetually. with psionic dominate it might be doable (certainly the durations are sufficient to allow you to do it, getting it setup in the first place would be trickier)
    Charm Monster or Dominate Person seems to fit the bill in most cases. Both are days/level, prevent them from attacking you, but it don't permanently disable them which means they stick around. 4th level spells either way, so you can do this a lot (and do things like use chain spell on them). May also help with nap-taking yourself, which I suppose works OK for ...
    This step probably doesn't work. Most interpretations of the interaction, as I recall, dictate that you cannot really persist a time stop.
    This interpretation.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Tainted Scholar + Evil Subtype (evil subtype grants immunity to negative effects of taint, which can be gotten via that one ritual in Savage Species if you don't happen to be an evil outsider) technically isn't an infinite loop because you're limited by the time you take casting the spells to get more taint. The question then becomes how much taint one could acquire before the fighters start showing up, which doesn't matter too much because your power continues to grow linearly in combat.
    Mixing in Persistent Incanatrix as mentioned earlier (you definitely have the levels for it) and the trick to persist time stop only cuts further into the wound. Using the epic-level variant that switches your spellcraft ability to your spellcasting stat (so clerics and druids could research epic spells like wizards) means that you also don't have to be a INT-focused casting class to beat the spellcraft check (or max out spellcraft for that matter, since your taint is <spells cast in a week>+1-2/round, and taint is your spellcasting stat).

It's pretty obvious that you could make a caster (or truenamer, if that's your taste) that could defeat NI mundanes. Maybe we could start talking about ways you could make a mundane that could defeat such a monstrosity
    Spoiler: List of Things You Don't Need To Know
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    killing and eating a bag of rats is probably kosher.
    Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking), and your humility is stunning

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I don't have a complete build, but I know it would involve incorporeality, Noctumancer, Incantatrix, Black Labyrinth, a fly speed, persisted Friendly Fire, and persisted Selective AMF.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Ok, so... If the fighters start on the floor... And the floor is filled completely with Spheres of Annihilation... Is there any way to be immune to Spheres of Annihilation, or does the Wizard just win?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

If the floor is covered by spheres of annihilation, you kill all the fighters with no ability to fly. But when fliers spawn in midair you're vulnerable to having the spheres used against you.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I am both absolutely disgusted by how 1 Wizard can theoretically destroy thousand and millions of characters of the same level and dying from laughter from visualising this. Thank you, GitP.
    Last edited by Ignimortis; 2018-07-25 at 12:46 AM.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).