New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1489
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary VIII: insAIne in the mAInfrAIme

The message's exact wording is unknown to the Toughs, but they're able to infer the nature of the message because they were expecting a message of that nature to show up.

In related news, the identical phrasing between the Quisling and the DME makes me wonder if the Quislings are baryonic shells piloted by nonbaryonic awarenesses? Or perhaps the Quislings are all clones of that one DME.

That suggests that the Resident Mad Scientist might be able to create non-baryonic shells for the Toughs.

We might see a planet-devouring Schlock after all.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by diremage View Post
    In related news, the identical phrasing between the Quisling and the DME makes me wonder if the Quislings are baryonic shells piloted by nonbaryonic awarenesses? Or perhaps the Quislings are all clones of that one DME.
    Could be. Or as pawns of the DMEs, they simply copy the DME's propaganda and call the Milkywayian threat 'Scary-Barry's' even though they themselves are also Barionic.

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Could be. Or as pawns of the DMEs, they simply copy the DME's propaganda and call the Milkywayian threat 'Scary-Barry's' even though they themselves are also Barionic.
    That'd be my guess.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    They are even lower than pawns. They appear to be artificial lifeforms programmed by the Pa'anuri.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Ettin in the Playground

Am I the only one that finds this very reminiscent of this old Schlocktoberfest arc?

6. - Top - End - #1296

DwarfClericGuy

Eh. I'll just say I'm going to be very dissatisfied if the resolution to this grand multiyear arc is that 'the non baryonic life is just like us/ as scared of us as we are of it, and there's no reason for us to be fighting'. I trust Howard to have a better plan than that but I'm getting those sorts of vibes. And I've not really appreciated lots of the arcs lately, since basically can full of sky where everything got wrapped up off screen.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    Eh. I'll just say I'm going to be very dissatisfied if the resolution to this grand multiyear arc is that 'the non baryonic life is just like us/ as scared of us as we are of it, and there's no reason for us to be fighting'. I trust Howard to have a better plan than that but I'm getting those sorts of vibes. And I've not really appreciated lots of the arcs lately, since basically can full of sky where everything got wrapped up off screen.
    I'd say just because this one particular critter is acting like this doesn't mean they all will.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Troll in the Playground

So this ís going to be a deep "know thy enemy" arc.

That, or we'll get 40 pages of Schlock shooting his way halfway across Andromeda intercut with panels of the froggosaurs describing how bad and bloodthirsty any rogue dark matter beasties would be.

But probably a know thy enemy arc.

We may need to bring in some gatekeepers for a group hug.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-11-02 at 01:46 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ettin in the Playground

So if this plot is still going by the end of the thread, I suggest the title "The Search For Schlock".
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    So if this plot is still going by the end of the thread, I suggest the title "The Search For Schlock".
    I was going to say we already saw a "search for Schlock" segment, but it got cut at the end of the first time the Toughs knew they met a gatekeeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I was going to say we already saw a "search for Schlock" segment, but it got cut at the end of the first time the Toughs knew they met a gatekeeper.
    This isn't really a search situation anyway--they apparently already know where Schlock is, it's a matter of whether they can do anything about it.

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    This isn't really a search situation anyway--they apparently already know where Schlock is, it's a matter of whether they can do anything about it.
    Well maybe, but the analogies with "Search for Spock" makes it a funny title anyway.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Orc in the Playground

What's bothering me here is the chicken and egg problem of the Quislings. Where did they come from? They're clearly an artificial mass-produced species, so someone had to first capture and suborn the fabber on the outpost. If it was more Quislings, where did THOSE come from? Etc.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wayson View Post
    What's bothering me here is the chicken and egg problem of the Quislings. Where did they come from? They're clearly an artificial mass-produced species, so someone had to first capture and suborn the fabber on the outpost. If it was more Quislings, where did THOSE come from? Etc.
    Given that we now know Pa'anuri were themselves (most likely semi-accidentally) created by baryonic lifeforms, I don't really have a problem with them figuring out the reverse, somewhere in the past few million years. Maybe they programmed a fabber by gravitational influence on the letters of a keyboard?
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

15. - Top - End - #1305

BlackDragon

It's possible these were originally non-created lifeforms who got corrupted by the Pa'anuri into what we see--they don't need to have created them from scratch.

16. - Top - End - #1306

https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2019-11-03
    They're called "dronuri" which is an obvious portmanteau of "pa'anuri" and "drone".

They're also cyborgs. They're literally created by the fabber as this mix of organic and electronic. It's possible they used an existing animal from one of the planets of Andromeda as a basis, but it should be clear that this is pretty much irrelevant to the dronuri as they are; they're artificial beings that are probably not entirely sapient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #1307

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Given that we now know Pa'anuri were themselves (most likely semi-accidentally) created by baryonic lifeforms, I don't really have a problem with them figuring out the reverse, somewhere in the past few million years. Maybe they programmed a fabber by gravitational influence on the letters of a keyboard?
    Um. There is a much simpler explanation. Consider this scenario:

The Pa'anuri have always have baryonic allies, ever since someone (some baryonic someone) realized that they had become sapient. They would have sought to end their slavery. The question is, what if any ethical standards do DMEs have? Maybe they're on this kill spree because earlier scary-barys broke a treaty or treaties with them. Or, maybe, the madness is being caused by those baryonic allies, who have told the Pa'anuri they will never be free while all other baryonic life exists. Extremists do tend to extremes, after all.

18. - Top - End - #1308
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Um. There is a much simpler explanation. Consider this scenario:

The Pa'anuri have always have baryonic allies, ever since someone (some baryonic someone) realized that they had become sapient. They would have sought to end their slavery. The question is, what if any ethical standards do DMEs have? Maybe they're on this kill spree because earlier scary-barys broke a treaty or treaties with them. Or, maybe, the madness is being caused by those baryonic allies, who have told the Pa'anuri they will never be free while all other baryonic life exists. Extremists do tend to extremes, after all.
    If only there was someone to talk some sense to all of them, no?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder what all Cindy DID manage to copy across.

We'll see what "Cindy Prime" thought was important enough to send over.

(Also, less than two hours left on the Big Dumb Objects kickstarter.)
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

20. - Top - End - #1310

Is Kathryn threatening to scowl degrees off, or is it someone else? Either way, that is a skill that would come in handy.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is Kathryn threatening to scowl degrees off, or is it someone else? Either way, that is a skill that would come in handy.
    It's the cookie lady who got promoted to intelligence officer, whose name apparently hasn't been used in the last 3 months. https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2019-08-17

22. - Top - End - #1312

BlackDragon

It's the cookie lady who got promoted to intelligence officer, whose name apparently hasn't been used in the last 3 months. https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2019-08-17
    Are you sure? It seems very out of character for her to be so...well, forthright, she's been portrayed as generally quite timid.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Are you sure? It seems very out of character for her to be so...well, forthright, she's been portrayed as generally quite timid.
    It is definitely her silhouette.

With that said it probably helps that she is talking to someone that is not only beneath her in the organizational ladder but also already tried to scam the lyceum by attempting to trick them into ordering a ridiculous amount of map pins from his relative.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2019-11-28 at 02:25 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

She's been getting more assertive lately and this researcher has been getting on her nerves. (He's the one that wanted tons (literally) of push pins to waste time with.)
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Titan in the Playground

Liz.

She met the Toughs when they were doing "mall security".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

26. - Top - End - #1316

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Liz.

She met the Toughs when they were doing "mall security".
    Specifically, she is the one who sold Nick a saladupa. Later Nick quit because he didn't want to find out his memories of her were based on lies. Then he didn't get off the bus, so she didn't either. Then she fixed the Ambassador's cooking and got her pay doubled. At some point she even beat Tagon with a coin check and made him do his job. Aside from her initial intro as a fast food worker, she has always been shown to be intelligent, if not always quick on the uptake. Strike that, she has always been intelligent and not quick on the uptake. The Commodore's training seems to have made her more assertive.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Titan in the Playground

Specifically, she is the one who sold Nick a saladupa. Later Nick quit because he didn't want to find out his memories of her were based on lies. Then he didn't get off the bus, so she didn't either. Then she fixed the Ambassador's cooking and got her pay doubled. At some point she even beat Tagon with a coin check and made him do his job. Aside from her initial intro as a fast food worker, she has always been shown to be intelligent, if not always quick on the uptake. Strike that, she has always been intelligent and not quick on the uptake. The Commodore's training seems to have made her more assertive.
    As I recall, they transferred her to the "intel" department because her education and interests filled in a big hole in their expertise (history, culture, etc).

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Dwarf in the Playground

She got her pay raised by an infinite multiplier, because prior to getting her pay doubled she wasn't actually getting paid. She was being helpful in the kitchens so she wouldn't look like a camp follower.

That said, ever since her salad almost killed her boyfriend she has never failed to be on point with a tray of cookies whenever cookies were called for.

Killing someone with a salad violates the Geneva conventions, but they have to actually die from eating it right? They can't eat it and then die? No wonder she fled the system.
    Last edited by diremage; 2019-11-28 at 12:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1319

Killing someone with a salad violates the Geneva conventions, but they have to actually die from eating it right? They can't eat it and then die? No wonder she fled the system.
    First, I believe it was her soup that almost killed Kathryn (who she thought was Nick's girlfriend).
    Second, it did so by being slippery, not toxic.
    So she's in the clear there.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Troll in the Playground

Earning Professor Uptrobar's respect also probably helped with her assertiveness specifically with regard to other academics, since it helped her recognize her authority in her new sphere as the military administrator of an otherwise largely civilian project team. If the Tough's cultural deep history 'save the galaxy' project were likened to the Manhattan Project, Karl Tagon would be Colonel Leslie Groves and Liz would be his most important staff officer.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting