New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1833343536373839404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1411
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

Quote Originally Posted by Deathrev View Post
    Q726e1b Regarding A726e1, i thought it would be a move action based on this quote from Complex illusions: "Giving a component a new set of instructions is a move action".
    A726e1b That is when using the Complex Illusion talent, which you aren't. Note that the Decoy talent states "If you possess the Complex Illusion talent..." (emphasis mine), without actually states anything requiring its use. This is because Decoy despite being treated as a figment, is still a glamer and not actually compatible with the Complex Illusion talent.

Q726f1a Can you "layer" different illusions on top of each other to get different benefits (a figment to attack enemies in the area+a figment that spawns walls protect allies with the programmed illusion talent)?
    A726f1a Yes. Do note however that if you use Complex Illusion to create multiple layers, disbelieving one component disbelieves them all. On the other hand trying to create AND maintain multiple figments without the Complex Illusion talent is going to be very costly when it comes to actions AND spell points.

Q726f1b What about glamers with glamers or glamers with figments?
    A726f1b Yes, you can have multiple glamers on the same person. Do note however, that using Mass Glamer to give the same glamer multiple times don't stack, and disbelieving one such glamer would disbelieve them all (it is after all the same singular glamer). On the other hand trying to create AND maintain multiple glamer without the Mass Glamer talent is going to be very costly when it comes to actions AND spell spell points.

Q726f2 Damage is mentioned as being capped at 1/turn, but the other uses of illusion are not mentioned as far as i could tell.
    A726f2 You can actually damage a creature multiple times a turn with your figments/glamers, just not with the same figment/glamer.

For example, you can have two separate damaging glamers on a creature, and have two separate damaging figments in the area of the creature. The creature could be damaged up to four separate times, but no particular illusion can hurt the creature more than 1/turn.

Note you could create separate damaging figments with Complex Illusion, but disbelieving one component disbelieves them all.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Pixie in the Playground

Beholder

Q127: is the prodigy OP? My group really likes the idea of links and biulding up to finishers, but in practice they seam to be able to biuld links insanely quickly and pull off finishers that just end the entire encounter before the rest of the party is even in position, If I understand correctly each action can only generate 1 link so your somewhat limited to 3 links a round but that still has you pulling off finishers every other round or so. Am I missing some kind of limiting facter or something?
    Last edited by wildmonsters; 2019-07-12 at 03:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q728: How does the Storm Herald Skald archetype interact with the Skald's Vigor feat since it replaces Inspired Rage?

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wildmonsters View Post
    Q127: is the prodigy OP? My group really likes the idea of links and biulding up to finishers, but in practice they seam to be able to biuld links insanely quickly and pull off finishers that just end the entire encounter before the rest of the party is even in position, If I understand correctly each action can only generate 1 link so your somewhat limited to 3 links a round but that still has you pulling off finishers every other round or so. Am I missing some kind of limiting facter or something?
    Prodigy is -fantastic-. My group didn't find it OP at all but we're also playing at a relatively high power table. its primary mitigating factors are that if you don't have a reliable way to start a link, it can be weak, and if you get CCed at all you lose your link due to not being able to continue it. Plus, its attack bonus and CL both drop without their links being high, so its numbers can fluctuate pretty widely in a given fight.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Galacktic View Post
    Prodigy is -fantastic-. My group didn't find it OP at all but we're also playing at a relatively high power table. its primary mitigating factors are that if you don't have a reliable way to start a link, it can be weak, and if you get CCed at all you lose your link due to not being able to continue it. Plus, its attack bonus and CL both drop without their links being high, so its numbers can fluctuate pretty widely in a given fight.
    To add on to this, most fights are over in 2-3 rounds anyway. If the prodigy couldn't reliably use a finisher after 2 rounds, the entire subsystem would be worthless at most tables.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Life Sphere Break Enchantment

Thanks for creating the Sphere system. We gave the system a try yesterday and had a great time. However, we had a question come up.

Does the Life Sphere Break Enchantment Talent work against a Wraith Possession ability? Will the Life Sphere Break Enchantment end other supernatural abilities like a witch Evil Eye spell?

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q730: For the Vajrahasta archetype, are the Vajra light, one handed, or two handed, and what is the crit range/multiplier for them?
    Last edited by Fallenreality; 2019-07-14 at 05:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Life Sphere Break Enchantment

Q279:
    Quote Originally Posted by timorin37 View Post
    Thanks for creating the Sphere system. We gave the system a try yesterday and had a great time. However, we had a question come up.

Does the Life Sphere Break Enchantment Talent work against a Wraith Possession ability? Will the Life Sphere Break Enchantment end other supernatural abilities like a witch Evil Eye spell?
    A279: Yes, if your MSB check is successful it would end the possession according to my reading of Break Enchantment. Supernatural abilities are magic but not normally dispellable, but break enchantment calls out that it removes magic effect in a rather broad way, as opposed to counterspell's use of the word dispell.

I think break enchantment should work on Su abilities in general, for the reasons stated above, but I suppose Adam Meyer needs to make the final call on intent.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q731: How, if at all, do options that alter Leadership Score interact with the Leadership Sphere? I mean things like the Natural-Born Leader trait or Low Templar PrCs

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    Q731: How, if at all, do options that alter Leadership Score interact with the Leadership Sphere? I mean things like the Natural-Born Leader trait or Low Templar PrCs
    A731: the Leadership sphere does not use the leadership score, so things that modify it do not apply.

11. - Top - End - #1271

Duly noted. That narrows trait choices for this character down nicely. And my apologies for posting two in a row, I came back to edit this question in but you were unexpectedly fast!

Q732: If I have the Mystic Craftsmen talent and want to help my workers out with Masterwork Tools or other items that augment crafting, would I need to buy one for all of them or just one since they seem to count as one creature for the purposes of crafting?
    Last edited by Dr_Dinosaur; 2019-07-16 at 01:04 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

Duly noted. That narrows trait choices for this character down nicely. And my apologies for posting two in a row, I came back to edit this question in but you were unexpectedly fast!

Q732: If I have the Mystic Craftsmen talent and want to help my workers out with Masterwork Tools or other items that augment crafting, would I need to buy one for all of them or just one since they seem to count as one creature for the purposes of crafting?
    A732: Bonuses from followers are abstracted, so it is assumed that they are obtaining the relevant tools on their own time from their own resources, so their checks aren't modified by giving further tools. If you were present, you could air another to give them a bonus.

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Hi! Just found this thread, which after being confined to the wiki alone seems like a godsend. I couldn't find this situation in the thread, so here it is: on the conscript sphere specialization for the Brute sphere, the level 20 ability says - "When the conscript reaches 20th level, he gains a +4 bonus to his CMB and CMD when performing or defending against a bull rush, pull, reposition, or overrun combat maneuver. In addition, the conscript doubles his critical threat range when performing a shove or a bull rush, pull, reposition, or overrun combat maneuver that deals damage. " This implies that according to Spheres of Might, combat maneuvers have the ability to crit so long as they are capable of dealing damage. However, there's a forum post from Sean K. Reynolds at (Sorry, i don't have the number of posts to add a link apparently) https://paizo.com/community/blog/v5748dyo5lcom&page=3?Combat-Maneuvers-and-Weapon-Special-Features#123 which specifically states that they cannot, which is what is causing the dispute in my group, as there isn't any concrete ruling for spheres on this matter, only that one line from the specialization.

Q733: Does Spheres of Might allow crits on combat maneuvers, or was that line a case of a mistaken ruling?

Thanks in advance, since either way this ends my table's argument for good!
    Last edited by Avereon; 2019-07-18 at 11:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: Drop Dead Studios Ask Me Anything #3

So I've got a few here on the new Leadership sphere and the Collective Wraith archetype. This is gonna be a bit complicated, but I desperately want this to work.

Q734: The Mystic Craftsman talent in the Leadership sphere says " If you also possess the Smithy talent, the cohort’s starting weapons and armor become +1 at 7 ranks in Diplomacy and +2 at 14 ranks in Diplomacy. This does not affect any additional weapons and armor you give them.", but I am not seeing a Smithy talent. Is this supposed to refer to the Craftsman talent?

Q735: The Collective Hive Mind ability tries to deal with a lot of the consequences of playing a truly mental only character, but there are a few edge cases that are hard to tell:

Q735A: Since the Collective has no body, does that mean it cannot have any magical items which effect it alone? Isn't that going to make keeping the Will Save up very difficult?
    Q735B: Since the Collective has no body, can it be targeted by beneficial buff spells to its mental stats such as the Mental Enhancement talent or Resistance in the Protection Sphere?
    Q735C: Does the Collective roll initiative separately to its cohorts? If so, and the Collective takes its actions through a cohort, is that cohort flat footed afterwards?
    Q735D: The 'Range' section of Hive Mind seems to indicate that if you split your followers off or have a base of operations, your hive mind extends X miles from each. As you don't die unless they are all dispersed, doesn't that make you basically immortal if you have a base or followers far away? My reading is that you can then regenerate 1 cohort/day from the followers at that location with Volunteers.
    Q735E: Many Eyes seems to imply that if you have 2 cohorts in an area, you get three skill checks - one for the hive mind, one for each cohort. Which other skills does this trigger for? Do you get multiple knowledge checks?
    Q735F: If the collective is effected by a mind-affecting effect, does it hit all the followers and cohorts as well or just the actions the hive mind can take?

There will probably be more, as this is the most complicated thing I've ever dealt with in PF, but that's a good start.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

Smithy was changed to craftsmen but some references to it got missed.

The rest I will have to come back to in a couple days, I don't have time to fully address them now.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
    So I've got a few here on the new Leadership sphere and the Collective Wraith archetype. This is gonna be a bit complicated, but I desperately want this to work.

Q734: The Mystic Craftsman talent in the Leadership sphere says " If you also possess the Smithy talent, the cohort’s starting weapons and armor become +1 at 7 ranks in Diplomacy and +2 at 14 ranks in Diplomacy. This does not affect any additional weapons and armor you give them.", but I am not seeing a Smithy talent. Is this supposed to refer to the Craftsman talent?

Q735: The Collective Hive Mind ability tries to deal with a lot of the consequences of playing a truly mental only character, but there are a few edge cases that are hard to tell:

Q735A: Since the Collective has no body, does that mean it cannot have any magical items which effect it alone? Isn't that going to make keeping the Will Save up very difficult?
    Q735B: Since the Collective has no body, can it be targeted by beneficial buff spells to its mental stats such as the Mental Enhancement talent or Resistance in the Protection Sphere?
    Q735C: Does the Collective roll initiative separately to its cohorts? If so, and the Collective takes its actions through a cohort, is that cohort flat footed afterwards?
    Q735D: The 'Range' section of Hive Mind seems to indicate that if you split your followers off or have a base of operations, your hive mind extends X miles from each. As you don't die unless they are all dispersed, doesn't that make you basically immortal if you have a base or followers far away? My reading is that you can then regenerate 1 cohort/day from the followers at that location with Volunteers.
    Q735E: Many Eyes seems to imply that if you have 2 cohorts in an area, you get three skill checks - one for the hive mind, one for each cohort. Which other skills does this trigger for? Do you get multiple knowledge checks?
    Q735F: If the collective is effected by a mind-affecting effect, does it hit all the followers and cohorts as well or just the actions the hive mind can take?

There will probably be more, as this is the most complicated thing I've ever dealt with in PF, but that's a good start.
    A735a: The collective himself cannot benefit directly from items. This does make it harder to keep up your saves. Half the time, you aren't affected though, and only Will saves really hit you anyway, so while it is a weakness, there are balancing considerations.

A735b: It isn't specified, but you should be allowed to be targeted directly when acting as a willing target. (tagging for errata)

A735c: Leadership sphere cohorts always act on your initiative, so only the collective rolls.

A735d: Yes you are very hard to kill permanently. Losing you party, your gear, and your followers makes a TPK still very serious, turning you into a plot hook for forming a new party or leading to a side mission to resurrect your party (give each player their own cohort maybe?).

A735e: Cohorts can still make any checks they are normally entitled to. The collective can make checks based on his perception. Yes, you could make multiple knowledge checks, just as a normal Leadership sphere character would have their cohorts make their own knowledge (or other skill) checks.

A735f:
    Mind-affecting abilities targeting a controlled cohort or follower have a 50% chance to target the collective instead. Mind-affecting abilities that target multiple cohorts or followers or an area also have a 50% chance of affecting the collective, but this chance is only rolled once for all cohorts and followers; if the collective is affected he is only affected once regardless of the number of cohorts and followers within the area of effect.
    If the collective is affected, the cohorts still have their normal actions and abilities.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks! That's very helpful.

Moving on:

Q735G: If the Collective makes a skill check using a mental stat outside of combat actions, such as a Knowledge Check or a Diplomacy check, does it use its own mental stats or those of the cohort? Can it pick?
    Q735H: When a Collective Possesses a target, does a cohort's body dissolve as a normal wraith does when possessing, (thus losing that cohort's actions while the possession lasts) or is that target just controlled using the Hive Mind's actions?
    Q735I: When a Collective Possesses a target, what happens if the possessed target moves outside the range of the Hive Mind ability, eg by teleportation?
    Q735J: How does Recruiting work with a Collective? Aside from volunteers from your Followers, are you just convincing people to surrender their autonomy or what? What about for Advanced Cohorts, where you are recruiting special creatures?

And why not:

Q736: There's no way to give thief cohorts Sneak Attack is there? That eliminates the usefulness of a lot of rogue talents which they would otherwise be able to take. Fencing is precision damage, so it doesn't qualify. Should they get 1d6 by default or something to enable them to take half of the rogue talents?
    Last edited by Sethis; 2019-07-22 at 10:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks! That's very helpful.

Moving on:

Q735G: If the Collective makes a skill check using a mental stat outside of combat actions, such as a Knowledge Check or a Diplomacy check, does it use its own mental stats or those of the cohort? Can it pick?
    Q735H: When a Collective Possesses a target, does a cohort's body dissolve as a normal wraith does when possessing, (thus losing that cohort's actions while the possession lasts) or is that target just controlled using the Hive Mind's actions?
    Q735I: When a Collective Possesses a target, what happens if the possessed target moves outside the range of the Hive Mind ability, eg by teleportation?
    Q735J: How does Recruiting work with a Collective? Aside from volunteers from your Followers, are you just convincing people to surrender their autonomy or what? What about for Advanced Cohorts, where you are recruiting special creatures?

And why not:

Q736: There's no way to give thief cohorts Sneak Attack is there? That eliminates the usefulness of a lot of rogue talents which they would otherwise be able to take. Fencing is precision damage, so it doesn't qualify. Should they get 1d6 by default or something to enable them to take half of the rogue talents?
    A735G: Each creature able to make the check makes the check with its own stats.

A735H: The collective is doing the possessing, not the cohort, so the cohort is not absorbed.

A735I: The possession continues as normal. Fluff wise, the collective is 'housed' in the possessed creature.

A735J: Mechanically, you spend 8 hours and make a Diplomacy check. Fluff-wise, it depends on how you describe the collective. Perhaps suitable people are drawn to your group, maybe your followers talk someone into joining. They could kidnap someone and perform a ritual, for a more sinister collective.

Advanced cohorts are different. Advanced cohorts are specifically not subject to the collective's abilities, so you are recruiting them the same way anyone else is.

A736: There are so many rogue talents (most of them awful). The intent on the thief cohort was to make it easy to say "got the trap-monkey" covered and pick up some niche abilities more than to dip into the various sneak attack talents. Of course, making people read through all the rogue talents in order to build a cohort was a chaotic evil act for which I apologize.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Ogre in the Playground

Q737a
    When using the time sphere's Time zone "wall" version, do the cubes created have to be contiguous? (the user has taken the ranged time talent multiple times, and wants to place 5 cubes in separate areas, all within range and sight)
    Q737b
    also, does its clause "You must occupy a space in or adjacent to one of the cubes." apply even if you have taken the ranged time talent multiple times?
    A neat custom class for 3.5 system
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94616

A good set of benchmarks for PF/3.5
    https://rpgwillikers.wordpress.com/2...y-the-numbers/

An alternate craft point system I made for 3.5
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...t-Point-system

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks again, but:

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    Advanced cohorts are different. Advanced cohorts are specifically not subject to the collective's abilities, so you are recruiting them the same way anyone else is.
    Isn't how the ability is written that I can see:

Abilities gained from hive mind do not affect temporary cohorts, such as those gained from the battlemind symbiat’s commanding mind link or the Draft legendary talent, nor hired via the Contractors legendary talent.
    Advanced Cohorts aren't temporary, and nothing here seems to indicate they aren't included in the hive mind? Same thing with the Constructs and Undead advanced talents, I assume so you can play an AI/Gravemind style hivemind.

If that was the intent you might want to mark that for errata too.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks again, but:

Isn't how the ability is written that I can see:

Advanced Cohorts aren't temporary, and nothing here seems to indicate they aren't included in the hive mind? Same thing with the Constructs and Undead advanced talents, I assume so you can play an AI/Gravemind style hivemind.

If that was the intent you might want to mark that for errata too.
    I was thinking of contractors. Advanced cohorts can work with collective as written. How you fluff it is up to you and your GM. You can absolutely use collective with the construct and undead talents.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Pixie in the Playground

Hi
    Q738 can a spherecaster cast a spell at a lower caster level to lower concentration CD?

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Orc in the Playground

A378 Yes. You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than your maximum, and this reduces the DC of the concentration check.

Quote Originally Posted by Spheres of Power page 9
    A spellcaster may always choose to manifest a magical effect at a lower caster level than his total in order to make a concentration check easier.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Pixie in the Playground

Q739
    Are the Glyphs made by the Protection Sphere capable of moving. For example; putting a glyph on a book (to cast an effect on the reader), can I take said book with me

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Banned

BlueKnightGuy

Q741: So a whenever a figment conjuration companion attacks an enemy, that enemy is allowed a save against the attack. But what if a figment conjuration companion uses a rally, teamwork feat, magic talent, aid another action to give the PC an extra attack or a bonus to hit or to damage to one of his attacks? Can the enemy save against any of those?

Q742: Can you cast talents which protect against counterspell, such as Magic Sink or Mystic Shell, on a conjuration companion to protect him from being dismissed by Improved counterspell or similar abilities?
    Last edited by dude123nice; 2019-08-02 at 03:31 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Pixie in the Playground

A739
    Quote Originally Posted by viperwolf306 View Post
    Q739
    Are the Glyphs made by the Protection Sphere capable of moving. For example; putting a glyph on a book (to cast an effect on the reader), can I take said book with me
    No, glyphs are targeted on an area, not a person or object: “Wards remain in the location they were created, even if you move.”
    Last edited by netmancer; 2019-08-01 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Added formatting

27. - Top - End - #1287

Q743: Does the Plant Transformation talent remove the target's existing limbs, or just add the two "branches?" I have a kitsune player wanting to become a wooden fox in combat.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Pixie in the Playground

Q743: Does the Plant Transformation talent remove the target's existing limbs, or just add the two "branches?" I have a kitsune player wanting to become a wooden fox in combat.
    A743
    Plant Transformation provides the target with only two limbs/arms/appendages total. So in essence to your question, yes it removes all existing limbs, with the two "branches" being part of the plant form. However, you would be able to re-add the lost limbs with the Additional Limbs talent.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Colossus in the Playground

Q744: Hopefully I'm not repeating an already-asked question, but given the advent of PF2e as of Monday, do you plan to work a 2e version of the various Spheres of _____ supplements? Or are you more focused on continuing to produce material for 1e? (I have no idea what the viability of continued 3rd-party production of 1e material is.)

30. - Top - End - #1290

Quote Originally Posted by netmancer View Post
    A743
    Plant Transformation provides the target with only two limbs/arms/appendages total. So in essence to your question, yes it removes all existing limbs, with the two "branches" being part of the plant form. However, you would be able to re-add the lost limbs with the Additional Limbs talent.
    But it says that Additional Limbs only adds more "branches," so how could one become a quadruped plant?