New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Fighter skill monkey

I want to build a fighter skill monkey.

My main issues are the lack of class skills, (but i believe there is a feat that allows me to gain a bonus to hit while moving and using bardic music so i can multiclass bard and it'll be worth it) and the lack of skill points. High intelligence deals with skill points, and a level of rogue to begin with helps, but now we're looking at what? a Rogue 1/Bard 1/Fighter ? with 18 int? ...no maybe?

Is there a way i could make this work better?

Is there a feat that allows int substitution for attack?
    - I like the world. Some of my best evilness took place here. I wouldn't mind ruling it, in fact.
    - Nah, Teevo is helping me edit my submission to "World's Funniest Protagonist Deaths"
    - Badass. REALLY badass.

Nominated for Xykon in the Playground:

Official Biophiliac of the Xykon fan club.

REALLY badass avatar by Dr.Bath

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: Fighter skill monkey

You could try the thug variant (Unearthed Arcana I believe). It replaces your first feat with 4+int skills and an improved skill list.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

There's no feat that I know of for intelligence bonus to attack (though you can get it as precision damage with levels in Swashbuckler), but I can think of one thing that will help you beyond all measure: Able Learner, from the Races of Destiny splatbook.

This beautiful little feat makes skills outside your class skill list cost the same as ones inside it! Thus, for the skills you can afford, take one level of rogue, and you're a rogue for life!

Taking a level in bard may work out all right, since you get many skills from that, and the bardic music'd help make up for the loss of BAB.

I suppose that it depends on where you want to go with this character whether rogue or bard is better.

Other than that...hope for high point buy, I guess.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The Changeling Rogue gets 10 skill points a level (Need to be a changeling or doppleganger normally although I don't see why a shapechanger like a hengeyokai wouldn't also qualify they were changed to +0 LA in a Dragon issue).

There is the Ranger or the Urban Ranger variant both with 6 skill points at level 1 which is multiplied by 4 plus you still have +1BAB. Favored Enemy is a strong feat if there is a general monster type you normally encounter.

Personally I find it an odd mechanical nerf that a PC can have Favored Enemy (Evil Outsiders which come in different form with different parts and sizes) but humanoids with the same basic form, parts and size are broken down into separate races.

There is the human Able Learner feat all skills are class skills.

The Jack of Trades feat with an intelligence 13+ you can use all skills as if possessing a half rank as trained skills including things like knowledge, profession and other checks you normally can't.

Maybe your DM will let you learn an intelligence based Canny Attack variant of the wisdom based Intuitive Attack with a bonus fighter feat.

The Duelist had Canny Defense which was intelligence based for AC.

Ranger or Urban Ranger - 1 (8 Hit points + Con Mod), Swashbuckler - 3 (Insightful Strike at level - 3), F -2 (D10 and 2 bonus feats), PRCs to taste and purpose.

Sword Sage is nice with good BAB vice best BAB.
    Last edited by CASTLEMIKE; 2007-09-08 at 09:33 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have one solution: Multiclassing
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RAGE KING! View Post
    My main issues are the lack of class skills, (but i believe there is a feat that allows me to gain a bonus to hit while moving and using bardic music so i can multiclass bard and it'll be worth it) and the lack of skill points. High intelligence deals with skill points, and a level of rogue to begin with helps, but now we're looking at what? a Rogue 1/Bard 1/Fighter ? with 18 int? ...no maybe?
    The Factotum from Dungeonscape could be what you need. Lots of Int synergy, all skills as class skills. Also, the Able Learner feat makes all skills cost 1 skill point, regardless of class/cross-class.

Is there a way i could make this work better?
    Unless you're tied down to the Fighter class, I'd recommend a Warblade (lots of Int synergy and better skills) maybe with some Bard levels and the Song of the White Raven feat.

Is there a feat that allows int substitution for attack?
    The Factotum, IIRC, does this as well. Swashbuckler adds Int to damage, not attack rolls.
    Last edited by yango; 2007-09-08 at 08:57 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

AssassinGuy

What you're looking it is some combination of Rogue and Swashbuckler with the Daring Outlaw feat. Rogue 16/Swashbuckler 4 or vice-versa work (R1/Swash 3/R+3/Swash+11 probably works best for tanking, but you'll want more Rogue if you can't take Able Learner). Adding in a few levels of Fighter for feats (and the Swashbuckler/Fighter multiclass feat in Complete Scoundrel) can help; you can even take Weapon FOcus/Weapon Spec/Melee Weapon Mastery to help your TWF--and you do want TWF.

If you take Able Learner, you can also go Rogue 2/Swordsage whatever or Rogue 1/Psychic Warrior 1/Swordsage whatever. Swordsage has obvious advantages, having 6+INT skill points per level (which you can use to raise rogue skills 1:1 thanks to Able Learner), the ability to get DEX to damage with each hand, and stylish and useful maneuvers, including ones that help you with your roguely duties (such as the Shadow Jaunt line).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a Rogue varient that trades sneak attack for fighter feats....
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

A Fighter-like class with more and better skills, like Swashbuckler or Ranger might be a better way to go. You don't lose any BAB, like you would with multiclassing, and you average more skill points going straight Ranger than you would Fighter/Rogue.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    A Fighter-like class with more and better skills, like Swashbuckler or Ranger might be a better way to go. You don't lose any BAB, like you would with multiclassing, and you average more skill points going straight Ranger than you would Fighter/Rogue.
    Nah, multiclassing Rogue/Swashbuckler with Daring Outlaw or Rogue/Swordsage with Able Learner is better than straight-up Swashbuckler or Ranger.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Reel On, Love View Post
    Nah, multiclassing Rogue/Swashbuckler with Daring Outlaw or Rogue/Swordsage with Able Learner is better than straight-up Swashbuckler or Ranger.
    But Ranger/Scout with Swift Hunter IS on par with those two.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming you're human, the Human Paragon class gives you a decent 4+int skill points, and lets you pick what you want for your class skills. 3 levels of it gives a +2 BAB, d8 hit dice, a bonus feat, and a free ability increase.