New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default D&D 5th Power Rings (Lantern Rings)

We are running a campaign that is Comics/Manga and I want to add the Green Lantern power ring (will adjust it to create a ring for all corps) but honestly and having a hard time even getting started on it. Seems it would cast levitate and mage armor of the user upon activation, beyond that....not a clue.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Power Rings (Lantern Rings)

Hmm.. is the game class based?
    I think that lantern would work better as class with "arcane focus".

Maybe as variant warlkck and sorcereor.

It's not enough having the ring and play with it.
    It require skill and exprience.
    That why Sinestro so badass
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by j_spencer93 View Post
    We are running a campaign that is Comics/Manga and I want to add the Green Lantern power ring (will adjust it to create a ring for all corps) but honestly and having a hard time even getting started on it. Seems it would cast levitate and mage armor of the user upon activation, beyond that....not a clue.
    When the suit is active, it gives constant mage armor and flight, not just levitate.

Otherwise, in general I'd say use illusionist wizards with the conjuration college minor conjuration ability as a bonus feature, the rings are the arcane focus, and the lanterns are the spellbooks. Some specific corps might have some different features, but that should cover Green and Yellow fairly well (just restrict fear spells to Yellow).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

WIP

Lantern Ring
    Aura Overwhelming Emotion; CL 10th; Slot ring; Price 1,000,000(CL x 100,000) gp; Weight —

DESCRIPTION

This gem-like ring usually has a solid shape and is capped with the signet of the order it belongs to. The color of the ring is determined by the emotion channeled.

MECHANICS
    The ring has a charge capacity of 50 x caster level energy. The energy used determines the exact charge, green Will for green rings, red rage for red rings, etc. Rings gain charge from several sources; direct sources such as batteries and flows of the emotional spectrum energies, from the emotions of their wielder, from emotions directed at the wielder, or the emotions of those around the wielder. Most often non direct sources do not provide enough power to sustain a ring.

By expending 1 charge you may manifest force armor that grants 2 + 1/2 CL armor. This armor manifests in suit with basic design determined by person and accents based on the core.

CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS

Craft Emotion Ring, creator must have strong connection to desired emotion; Cost 500,000 gp.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2018-07-05 at 12:58 PM.

My Homebrew: Here
    Competitions and Substystem Compendium: Here
    Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lanth Sor View Post
    WIP

Lantern Ring
    Aura Overwhelming Emotion; CL 10th; Slot ring; Price 1,000,000(CL x 100,000) gp; Weight —

DESCRIPTION

This gem-like ring usually has a solid shape and is capped with the signet of the order it belongs to. The color of the ring is determined by the emotion channeled.

MECHANICS
    The ring has a charge capacity of 50 x caster level energy. The energy used determines the exact charge, green Will for green rings, red rage for red rings, etc. Rings gain charge from several sources; direct sources such as batteries and flows of the emotional spectrum energies, from the emotions of their wielder, from emotions directed at the wielder, or the emotions of those around the wielder. Most often non direct sources do not provide enough power to sustain a ring.

CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS

Craft Emotion Ring, creator must have strong connection to desired emotion; Cost 500,000 gp.
    5th edition, friend. Not 3rd.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

MindFlayer

Some reason 5th didn't register 5e

Assuming were making the real thing this is about 50% of the core functions.

WIP
    Green Lantern Ring
    Ring, legendary

Each ring is an emphatic intelligent magic item with the purpose of finding someone of high will and driving them to protect the universe from those who wish ill upon others. If the ring deems the bearer unworthy the ring does not function for them at all. The ring can fly with as per the fly spell but will only do so to reach a worthy bearer.

The bearer can manifest a suit of armor that can have any appearance as a free action. If no other armor is worn your AC is 10 + dexterity modifier + wisdom modifier. If other armor is worn it only provides a cosmetic change. If the ring has 0 charges it cannot make the armor.

By expending 1 charge per minute you may gain flight as per the fly spell, this becomes 80% speed of light out of atmosphere. Activating this is a minor action.
    By expending 1 charge per day you may gain the ability to endure any natural environment that does not deal direct damage. Activating this is a minor action.
    By expending 1 charge per round you may negate any environmental damage. This is a minor action that requires concentration.
    By expending 1 charge as a reaction gain resistance to all damage.
    By expending 1+ charge as a minor action you may create a construct, a nonmagical item. The item last 1 minute. You may expend additional charges to extend the duration an additional minute. Any item of of 5 cubic feet or smaller takes one charge. Any item is as durable as a steel
    versions of the item. Exact costs should be determined by DM. A construct requires concentration to maintain.

The ring records the last round before the bearer dies.

Each ring has a capacity of 1000 charges. A ring may have extra charges but they bleed off at a rate of 50 charges per round until the ring reaches capacity. Ring may be recharged by succeeding in a save vs fear granting 1 charge per level of the source of the fear effect, or by charging it in a power battery.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2018-07-05 at 03:17 PM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

It's a bit too strong for a single object that can be used as you will.

However, I'd suggest a Warlock with the Mystical Talisman Patron from MFOV.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

TBH the rings are artifacts. If your going for balance concerns, making the ring consume multiple attunements would be a good fix. Making a "warlock" type class makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by Lanth Sor; 2018-07-05 at 04:43 PM.

Mythos Stuff
    Index Discord