New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butter

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default Butter

Butter is 2 sp per pound a player wants to buy 2000 pounds of butter how much should i charge

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Butter

2x2 = 4

Now add the zeroes back on

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Nothing. Nobody has that much butter sitting around, even if they do ordinarily sell the stuff.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

they want to make a butter golem

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by drogan View Post
    they want to make a butter golem
    I cannot begin to list all of the problems with that idea.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

I think butter is a thing where the amount people are willing and able to sell would be a hard limit, one that they can't be bribed to increase. So either you charge 4000 silver--whatever that translates to in your current edition (in 3.5, it would be 40 platinum). Or you tell the player that no one has that much butter on hand and make them travel the length and breadth of the continent buying as much butter as is for sale in various places. (Or you tell them up front that they can't make a butter golem and see if that dissuades them.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Don't get too wrapped up in figuring out rules for this stuff. The question you need to answer is do you want to let him make a butter golem. If you do, just say it has the same stats as a flesh golem (maybe less DR and fire weakness but some kind of grease effect?) and costs the same with the same requirements to make (the butter is only a small part of the total cost - all kinds of magic ingredients are necessary.) If you're feeling questy, maybe he has to find and milk a half-fiend dire cow to get the cream to form the Heartbutter that makes it tick.

If you don't want him making a butter golem? Then he can't make a butter golem, and the lack of refrigeration in the pseudomedieval era means he'll be very unpopular with his neighbors if he spends more than an afternoon trying. But just tell him it's impossible up front - tell him he can't get enough butter and he'll find a way to get enough butter.
    Last edited by spectralphoenix; 2018-08-02 at 09:21 PM.
    When in doubt, light something on fire.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I think butter is a thing where the amount people are willing and able to sell would be a hard limit, one that they can't be bribed to increase.
    This also makes sense to me in most settings. If butter comes from milk, and milk comes from cows, it's not something you can change your production level of on a dime since making more cows takes time. Most places would only have enough dairy cows for their regular needs, and not produce much surplus since it wouldn't store well and it's perishable.

Given modern food preservation methods, a large butter stockpile is certainly possible (I'm pretty sure I could buy 2000 pounds of butter by driving to enough grocery stores in a major metro area in real life), but that doesn't fit with the typical "fake medieval" D&D setting in terms of scale.

A determined adventurer with suitable extra-dimensional storage space should be able to build their own butter stockpile for this purpose by buying up excess butter in every town they pass through for a while. At higher levels, I suppose they could do so quickly by teleporting to various towns and cities on market days over a large region, which makes me want to think about D&D economic/trade in ways that would break things, so I'll stop there.

A sufficiently high-level adventurer in a sufficiently-silly campaign where a butter golem wouldn't be out of place to start with should be able to accomplish this by teleporting to the Only-Vaguely-Elemental Plane of Dairy and harvesting the needed butter there through a series of suitable encounters, of course.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Nothing. Nobody has that much butter sitting around, even if they do ordinarily sell the stuff.
    You say this, but it was not uncommon in medieval Iceland to pay church tithes in butter. One bishop was estimated to have several tons of it in storage.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Players pay a fortune for huge amounts of butter. Go through much rigamarole and arcanery to enchant said butter to create a golem. Golem melts in the sun.

The end.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    You say this, but it was not uncommon in medieval Iceland to pay church tithes in butter. One bishop was estimated to have several tons of it in storage.
    Im going to want to see a citation on that. Butter doesn't store that well even with the refrigeration available to them at the time, and as noted producing extra is a non-trivial task.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I cannot begin to list all of the problems with that idea.
    If you gave your top five, you'd probably hit at least three of the reasons a player would want to do it.

13. - Top - End - #13

Im going to want to see a citation on that. Butter doesn't store that well even with the refrigeration available to them at the time, and as noted producing extra is a non-trivial task.
    I'm looking, but it's been 20 years.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Taxes and tithes in Iceland were commonly paid in butter, cheese, livestock and other farm products

Insufficient precious metals to produce coinage, so produce was currency (standardised around the weight of a certain length of cloth).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Taxes and tithes in Iceland were commonly paid in butter, cheese, livestock and other farm products

Insufficient precious metals to produce coinage, so produce was currency (standardised around the weight of a certain length of cloth).
    Ok, paying in butter along with other produce and goods seems a lot more plausible to me. Im still not sure I believe that thing with the bishop though. Butter doesn't have a long enough shelf life even refrigerated for that much butter to stay viable for very long.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Spamalot in the Playground

1) What system? Construct creation rules vary widely.

2) Finding sufficient people "willing and able to sell butter" may also be unnecessary depending on system, due to spells like Fabricate or Major/True Creation.

3) Some kind of fire vulnerability seems appropriate, like a Wax Golem has.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

17. - Top - End - #17

Ok, paying in butter along with other produce and goods seems a lot more plausible to me. Im still not sure I believe that thing with the bishop though. Butter doesn't have a long enough shelf life even refrigerated for that much butter to stay viable for very long.
    Butter keeps for a very long time frozen, though, so if that was a possibility in Iceland in that era it would change ease of storage considerably. I don't know if Iceland has a permafrost layer like Alaska does that lets you basically build a freezer by digging a basement deep enough, though.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post

And Jesse Byock was someone I read a lot of back then.
    The Cranky Gamer

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    Butter keeps for a very long time frozen, though, so if that was a possibility in Iceland in that era it would change ease of storage considerably. I don't know if Iceland has a permafrost layer like Alaska does that lets you basically build a freezer by digging a basement deep enough, though.
    Iceland is volcanic, so while it does get cold in winter as per the rest of the Nordic regions, dig too deep and you actually get warmer, not colder.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Four words: Create Food & Water. Of course it will go off quickly, but frankly that's going to be just as big a problem with normal butter.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

An icehouse is something I would think would be doable in a medival setting, especially a world with magic.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Do the players have Exotic Butter Proficiency?
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Some play RPG's like chess, some like charades.

Everyone has their own jam.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

And what kind of butter are we talking? Butter made from cow or goat milk is probably normal, but what if your butter comes from displacer beast milk or something similarly weird/magical?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    And what kind of butter are we talking? Butter made from cow or goat milk is probably normal, but what if your butter comes from displacer beast milk or something similarly weird/magical?
    Now I want to see a golem made from displacer beast butter.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Now I want to see a golem made from displacer beast butter.
    I'm sure watching someone milk a displacer beast would be quite the show. Does the milk get displaced too? Either the milk appears to come out of thin air or it looks like the milker is doing mime.

26. - Top - End - #26

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mendicant View Post
    I'm sure watching someone milk a displacer beast would be quite the show. Does the milk get displaced too? Either the milk appears to come out of thin air or it looks like the milker is doing mime.
    "What are you doing? NO! Don't pull on That!"

The original question is one of supply and demand. To provide a bigger demand, the price will go up, to account shipping it in from nearby towns, using magic, etc. They'll cause a price spike. So, it'd be at least 1000 gp, maybe twice that.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Storage time depends on heat, humidity, and pests. I've got butter sitting in a dish on my kitchen counter that's going on it's third week and is doing just fine. Of course I'm in a place with low humidity, where three days of 75 ℉ temps is a heatwave, and the block is in a heavy ceramic dish that's functionally self sealing.

Seal the butter in some jars and store it in a stream or river. If you use a glacier fed water source then hotter weather gets you more cold water.

I would totally green-light the golem. Because it gives me an excuse to make a toast golem.

Waffle golem?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Actually, and of course according to climate, production and mode of conservation, making butter, just like cheese, was a way of lenghtening the life of dairy products : Look at the bog butter or the north african smen that could last for many years( here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smen).

29. - Top - End - #29

Less than 4000sp because bulk buying should get a discount.

Butter golem sounds great, I would definitely allow this. While vulnerable to hot knives, they are better at swimming than the more traditional golems.
    Last edited by Mr Beer; 2018-08-05 at 07:09 PM.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

30. - Top - End - #30

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Beer View Post
    Less than 4000sp because bulk buying should get a discount.
    Counterpoint: More than 4000sp because nobody has that much available for purchase in bulk. The more you buy and stockpile, the more you'll have to pay because you're driving up demand and driving down the local supply. The last pound will be much more expensive than the first pound you buy.