New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld Thread XI: Finally, it's HAMMER-TIME!

Basically everybody who was somebody was trying to research nukes, the USA simply had a lot more resources to spare to invest in said research. Even the germans managed to get some heavy water, which was then blown up by the brittish.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post

While I vastly prefer manga over comics overall, at least comics keep the power levels of their superheroes relatively stable.
    You're being awfully generous here. Superman is struggling with a big building in one comic then casually shifting planets in the next. Batman is struggling with unarmed thugs in one comic to defeating demonic legions with sci-fi weaponry that give superman trouble in the next. Dr.Strange pulls new spells all the time. The Hulk's literally as strong as the plot demands and has been through more upgrades and downgrades than you can shake a sword at (and currently is at a "stronger than ever" state which would make Goku proud).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Superman's varying hand to hand combat strength can be easily explained, and has been. The whole "I feel like I'm in a world of cardboard. But you, you can take it, can't you" speech.

Now, the eyebeams, the change from jumping to flying, the keeping up with Flash despite not being able to vibrate through the air molecules, etc -- that takes three infinitely large crisis to fix :-).
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by keybounce View Post
    Superman's varying hand to hand combat strength can be easily explained, and has been. The whole "I feel like I'm in a world of cardboard. But you, you can take it, can't you" speech.
    Except there was that whole Doomsday battle where supes gets killed by an opponent that, although quite strong, still isn't anywhere near planet-shifting/busting like some later (and silver-age) comics show.

Not to mention the whole arsenal of supes secondary powers, not only the eye-beams like you mentioned but also stuff like super-hearing that works in space (where there's no air for sound) and being able to somehow close black holes with his bare hands and that all that power is supposed to just come from collecting sun energy despite he still only having human surface, and wearing clothing over most of his body most of the time.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure it's ridiculous, but at least it looks cool. On a slight tangent, "POP HEIR" is just hanging ominously in the air without comment or elaboration. That's probably just one of the stupid things that happens when you just reverse a previous agreement instead of writing up a new one for the situation.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    Sure it's ridiculous, but at least it looks cool. On a slight tangent, "POP HEIR" is just hanging ominously in the air without comment or elaboration. That's probably just one of the stupid things that happens when you just reverse a previous agreement instead of writing up a new one for the situation.
    Wait, does Charlie now have to pop an heir or face penalties?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Latest (September 7th) Comic:

Spoiler
    Show
    So while Rich has successfully wowed me with "the scale of the Snarl problem is far more vast than you could have imagined", Rob is inadvertently doing something similar, "the amount of twists in each attempt to outsmart each other is far more vast than you could have imagined", and at this stage it's beginning to wear on me. At what point does this day reach its climax and we finally see the chips fall? Did we need another twist to complicate things even further?
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    [...] all that power is supposed to just come from collecting sun energy despite he still only having human surface, and wearing clothing over most of his body most of the time.
    Spoiler: (Literal) tinfoil hat theory:
    Show
    Assume Superman projects a powerful magnetic field (or the quasi-science Krypton equivalent) to collect energy from the sun. Perhaps bending Earth's protective magnetic field to concentrate deadly energy in his immediate area. Better yet assume he projects a krypto-field that constantly collects the entire neutrino bombardment flooding Earth (works somewhat even at night since neutrinos can pass through solid rock.) Superman is lucky no one on Earth figured up how he collects his power or aluminum sheets would cost a fortune and no one would dare come too close to him.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Wait, does Charlie now have to pop an heir or face penalties?
    Alternatively, it could be "TV isn't allowed to pop a heir or it faces penalties", although you'd think Shirley would have caught that.

(Whereas the might be fine with forcing Charlie to pop an heir, especially if she cares about the side above his personal life.)

9. - Top - End - #69

RogueGuy

Is it possible for someone to sum up what this agreement is supposed to entail? I'm not having any success deciphering whatever is supposed to be going on.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

10. - Top - End - #70

BlackDragon

I want to say "no, it is not possible" :-)
    Not "fire at". I never used the word "at"
    GENERATION ω+1: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment. Remember, ω + 1 comes after ω.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yana View Post
    Is it possible for someone to sum up what this agreement is supposed to entail? I'm not having any success deciphering whatever is supposed to be going on.
    The list of demands from Charlescomm to Transylvito is here; basically "give us our money back, give FAQ their stuff back, and toss in some people; or die". That also goes over why there are demands: Shirley wants to save Vanna and her "baby" (the Transylvitan heir yet to pop), and simply killing Caesar will end the heir-less side and prevent said heir from popping.

The current update includes Benjamin explaining the logistical details of meeting some of those demands.

The more recent agreement, between Transylvito and Gobwin Knob, should mean that when the agreement for the demands takes place, money will go to Gobwin Knob instead. Skyy's dialog in the current update suggests how they/she intend to bypass the transfer of units.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #72
    Spamalot in the Playground

Spoiler: New Update
    Show
    Yeah that collar so clashes with his outfit.

I guess it's insurance, as in Charlie can croak Caesar at any point if he attempts any action against CC? Not sure if Shirley is going to like that, but then I just assume at this point Shirley doesn't like any of Charlie's ideas.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

So what was the deal with maleka (Maggie's doll/daughter) unraveling Bill's psyche? Has that been undone or is it being ignored?

I had figured Charlie was bluffing to get the deal Bill seems perfectly alert and talkative in this last update.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    New Update
    The most recent I'm seeing is dated 2018.9.7, today is 2018.9.13, that's not new, or is something sneaky pre-update style going on?
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Name_Here View Post
    So what was the deal with maleka (Maggie's doll/daughter) unraveling Bill's psyche? Has that been undone or is it being ignored?

I had figured Charlie was bluffing to get the deal Bill seems perfectly alert and talkative in this last update.
    Bill is dead. He's essentially just a meat puppet. Shirley was speaking through him, hence Lady-Bill remarks.

16. - Top - End - #76

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    The most recent I'm seeing is dated 2018.9.7, today is 2018.9.13, that's not new, or is something sneaky pre-update style going on?
    Could be sneaky post-update, because I don't remember seeing that one before. Looking back on this thread, I see RMS Oceanic mentioned it by label, but I don't see responses with the label so maybe it went under the radar when I scanned the thread last.

That's not a good sign for the comic, is it?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Could be sneaky post-update, because I don't remember seeing that one before. Looking back on this thread, I see RMS Oceanic mentioned it by label, but I don't see responses with the label so maybe it went under the radar when I scanned the thread last.

That's not a good sign for the comic, is it?
    It definitely posted when its stated. I guess people didn't notice!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

It's posted when it's said. That's an Arkentool though. No idea what's going on or worth discussing at this point.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

New update, page 340

I try to start a new trend where people write the page number in the link for further reference. It seems people tune in and out a but more and this might help finding where they left off.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sizemore is back and he gets humiliated again. This time it's a low blow. It's one thing if your incompetent boss with the intention span of a gerbil forgets your name and calls you "Dirtguy", but it really hurts if one of your best friends you opened up to thinks you have a limited intellect, and the most lateral guy you ever met confirms it. Sizemore is a humble and forgiving guy, but even he should have his pride hurt by this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sizemore is back and he gets humiliated again. This time it's a low blow. It's one thing if your incompetent boss with the intention span of a gerbil forgets your name and calls you "Dirtguy", but it really hurts if one of your best friends you opened up to thinks you have a limited intellect, and the most lateral guy you ever met confirms it. Sizemore is a humble and forgiving guy, but even he should have his pride hurt by this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's not anything saying that's Sizemore is limited in intellect. It's that he has a certain way of thinking and that he didn't even realize it and that is holding him back. Parson is pointing out something Sizemore has never even considered before. Now, it hurt some yes, BUT it is also a revelation and now he can work to get past his problem. As people have said on the Erfworld forums Sizemore may be going to Master Class because of this. Also nice to see Parson getting something done.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    New update, page 340

I try to start a new trend where people write the page number in the link for further reference. It seems people tune in and out a but more and this might help finding where they left off.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: p. 340
    Show
    It hurt, but sometimes a friend needs to give you a bit of a kick in the seat to push you into a better mindset. In this case, to push Sizemore into changing the way he thinks about other disciplines so that he can properly use the Wonky Wrench.

I miss good talks like this. The kind of talks where Parson helps his side think outside a box.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: p340
    Show
    It's pretty interesting, I can read both Parson's statement and Sizemore's response in two ways each.

Sincere Parson: Look buddy, I get it. I'm asking you to do something that runs completely counter to how you frame your world. I should have realized I was asking too much, Janice already pointed out the conflict between dirtamancy and other disciplines. But, I had to try, you know? No hard feelings.

Manipulative Parson: Well, of course you want to quit. It's not your thing, why would you want to stretch? Heck, even Janice - you know, that girl you have a thing for? - Janice told me you wouldn't be up for this. Must suck to have your crush call you out and be right about it.

Bitter Sizemore: So now even Janice, the the one person I respect most, is talking about me behind my back? Guess that resolves my split loyalty issues. Time to double down.

Inspired Sizemore: I hadn't thought about it that way... If Janice thinks that, though, I guess it makes sense. So how do I get around this roadblock?

I'm not really sure which combination I believe is correct, not even which one I prefer.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2018-09-19 at 08:34 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Spoiler: p340
    Show
    It's pretty interesting, I can read both Parson's statement and Sizemore's response in two ways each.

Sincere Parson: Look buddy, I get it. I'm asking you to do something that runs completely counter to how you frame your world. I should have realized I was asking too much, Janice already pointed out the conflict between dirtamancy and other disciplines. But, I had to try, you know? No hard feelings.

Manipulative Parson: Well, of course you want to quit. It's not your thing, why would you want to stretch? Heck, even Janice - you know, that girl you have a thing for? - Janice told me you wouldn't be up for this. Must suck to have your crush call you out and be right about it.

Bitter Sizemore: So now even Janice, the the one person I respect most, is talking about me behind my back? Guess that resolves my split loyalty issues. Time to double down.

Inspired Sizemore: I hadn't thought about it that way... If Janice thinks that, though, I guess it makes sense. So how do I get around this roadblock?

I'm not really sure which combination I believe is correct, not even which one I prefer.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm strongly in favor of Sincere/Bitter. I see little inspiration in Janis' words, and Parson's manipulative side has always been heavily telegraphed and/or obvious in the moment.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

New update

Spoiler
    Show
    Both side feels cheated. Well at least its even.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

This update felt long-winded.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    This update felt long-winded.
    I got through a single paragraph before I noped out. I really would rather not deal with text updates most of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I got through a single paragraph before I noped out. I really would rather not deal with text updates most of the time.
    The long and short of it is:

Spoiler: TLDR
    Show
    The two temples accuse each other of cheating, because Ben's plan appears to have worked... but also Shirley couldn't immediately revert the collar to a pendant on her own anyway because it was first transformed through an Arkendish link.

The body of the text is mostly Huehue grumbling about how words--even his own words and metaphors--don't adequately envelop Signs, and blaming that for the contract issues.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

That's kinda funny since most of the text update is the towers ranting about how bad words are for describing things compared to pretty signs.

Which shows how stupid the towers are since the reason that actual contracts are mostly written with words and not pretty signs is precisely because when you get enough words you leave no room for ambiguity, while pretty signs, well, will always leave plenty of room for that.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    That's kinda funny since most of the text update is the towers ranting about how bad words are for describing things compared to pretty signs.

Which shows how stupid the towers are since the reason that actual contracts are mostly written with words and not pretty signs is precisely because when you get enough words you leave no room for ambiguity, while pretty signs, well, will always leave plenty of room for that.
    Also deeply ironic considering that this used to be a comic and is now a poorly written novel with thousands of words that convey exactly nothing.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

This wasn't a story update. The progress to plot and characters was microscopic. It was just (longwinded) worldbuilding, I guess. Not very interesting worldbuilding but for those who love knowing the mechanics this would be thrilling?