New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default How many times do you roll?

I was curious. *shrug* Somtiems I will spend hours rolling a single character's stat, whether Monster or PC. Although I do it alot for the villain characters too.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: How many times do you roll?

If you're going to roll that much, you might as well just pick a number and use that.
    I am a poor man, some say I’m half crazy,
    son of the sword and the knife
    Lady I pledge you my sword and my honor,
    my heart and my pride and my life
    --Bella Doña, by Joe Bethancourt
    Spoiler
    Show

Alas, poor Draknir. By Mephibosheth

Owl-atar by KingGolem
    You will be missed, dear 'stache...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    If you're going to roll that much, you might as well just pick a number and use that.
    ya... its like baulders gate, roll until you get all 18s

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

We use 28 point buy. For villians with class levels or the "elite array" I use 28 point buy for them as well.

In games I'm a PC and we do it with an infinite amount of rerolls instead of point buy I limit myself to 3 sets of rolls. I don't mix and match, I roll 3 whole sets and chose the one I want.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

This is the reason many DMs refuse to accept rolls that aren't overseen by them, themselves. Because some people WILL roll for hours left unchecked. At least it gets tedious for them if they have to keep killing off the characters that they "didn't roll well enough for".

We have a method among my group that involves three sets of rolls, with lowering amounts of customizability. But when you roll each new set, you're giving up your last one, and when you hit that third, you're stuck with it, period. And even that is pretty bloody lenient.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I never roll. I use 32 point-buy. In fact, my group always assumes 32 point-buy unless otherwise stated. Though I have run a 28 and 40 point-buy. As for monsters and NPCs, I use the same point-buy as the players. The players are all optimizers so, they are more heroic in that manner, though their stats might be closer to the enemies they fight.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I usually roll once. When I DM I set a minimum net bonus from the scores. The player can roll until they get that minimum, but once they do they have to keep what they roll. For NPCs I usually assign ability scores, no rolling involved.
    DMs don't cheat, they just change the rules.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't" -Margaret Thatcher

"Celebacy is no match for a natural 20!" -RandomNPC

"If you're so goth, where were YOU when we sacked Rome?" -Swordguy

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Zero. My group uses point buy. 32 is our usual standard.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

As a DM I have given up on stat rolling for players. I prefer to have my players use 25 point stat buy, or more recently using the elite array of stats arranged to taste (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8).

I know a 2nd edition DM that allows his players to roll (3d6 straight down, not arrange to taste) as many times as they want but they have to write down each roll and they cannot take any previous rolls.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

None. I used a point buy system even back in 2E. My first experience as a player was one guy who rolled 16+ six times in a row, and another who rolled nothing above a 12, so my first decision as a DM was not to do it that way.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

In chargen? Never - I'm a point buy player.
    In game? As often as the GM will let me. Rolling dice is one of the sacraments of the gamer faith after all.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    In chargen? Never - I'm a point buy player.
    In game? As often as the GM will let me. Rolling dice is one of the sacraments of the gamer faith after all.
    Objection!
    In one of the groups I play in, we never roll any dice - neither for character creation, nor during gameplay. It has its share of both dis- and advantages.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't do randomness in chargen, so obviously I don't roll at all.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

14. - Top - End - #14

Untill I'm happy with the rolls, meaning it depends on the character in question. My group's regular DM is usually very stingy with treasure, so we players compensate by rolling untill we have stats we like (using 4d6, reroll ones, keep three dice).

Edit: Forgot to mention: starting a new set forfeits the last one.
    Last edited by Swooper; 2007-09-15 at 05:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Once the rolls stop being terrible.

I have the strangest luck, I usually roll using an online dice roller and end up with set after set of the worst rolls ever. Until the luck decides to shift and I get something around... 18, 15, 16, 14, 12, 10. It's insane, I think I'm a weird combo of lucky and cursed.... luckursedy... yeah.
    Last edited by Krimm_Blackleaf; 2007-09-15 at 05:58 AM.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

If I'm making a PC I roll once, or use whatever point buy we are doing. If I'm DMing, I just make the stats up to suit whatever purpose the NPC I care enough about to actually stat out is around for.
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Just once. Same for hit dice.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I roll as much as possible, due to the fact that I usually end up with rolls like (from my last character):

17, 17, 16, 14, 12, 7

I managed to get my DM to reroll the 7, and got another high teen!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

If we werent using buy system i wouldnt let my player roll for more than 3 times. maybe if all their rolls are terrible they can have some more. Because an infinite number of rerolls is just like Jack Mann said. Why not pick a number immediately instead of waiting until you got the 18/18/18/18/18/18 rolled?
    Last edited by Threeshades; 2007-09-15 at 07:03 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

I like to let players choose between taking the set of stats they rolled with 4d6b3x6, or the "Elite Array" of 15,14,13,12,10,8.
    As a player, I like to go with whatever method the DM decides and trust that they know what they're doing...until they give me reason to think otherwise.
    In a realted-ish story, in one game, I played a Dvati Monk with like 2 10's, 2 11's, and a 12 and 13. It was pretty much the minimum scores you can't toss, per the PHB, so maturally I was bummed. Later on I and myself was/were meditating (anybody who knows what a Dvati is/are knows what I'm talking about), when the GM says "You gain some insight" (or some such nonsense and hands me a slip of paper with a not that says, "You immediately gain 6 points to add to your ability scores, any way you see fit."
    "Fair?" asks the DM. "No. Of course it's not fair. Nobody else got this. But I'll take it." I couldn't help it...I was a monk.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

21. - Top - End - #21

We usually only roll once (the obvious exceptiong being godawful scores; no one in our group enjoys playing the guy with straight 13s), but in a very weird way. We roll 24d6, drop the lowest, and there're you're points to divvy out as you please. Purportedly, this is to save time, but I'm pretty sure that everyone realizes that it raises the average score.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

One time (unless thier scores are terible. Then I give them a pitty roll). Also, for hit points on level, I give them the option to either keep thier roll, or I roll thier hit dice and they take my number even if its lower.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

For PC's and NPC's, I follow my group's standard house rule: Roll 2 sets of ability scores (4d6, drop lowest). If one of both of the sets are RAW "too low" (must total modifier >=0 and 13 cannot be your highest score), it can be rerolled. If you're just not happy with either set, you can roll a do-or-die third set that you have to use no matter how crappy it is. The only time I fudge this rule a little bit is if I'm creating a key NPC.

As much as I prefer to roll every aspect of the game (I rarely even "take 10"), I agree that if you're rolling endlessly to get the scores you want that you should just do a point-buy.
    Last edited by ranger89; 2007-09-15 at 08:47 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Untill the following criteria are met:
    -Stats are playable
    -They aren't boring.

An array of 17, 16 ,10, 7, 8, 7 would be fine with me. An array of 16, 14, 15, 13, 14, 10 wouldn't. While the latter array is more powerful, it is very boring. However, the first one is interesting.

I never want to see if stats are good or bad. When I roll, it is because I want interesting and varying stats that are something completely diffrent than I would choose myself. This is normally 3-7 sets before I find one that I like.

However, most of the time I would rather take pointbuy.
    Maggots in the Meat: IC thread, OOC thread, dierolls

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

once I normally average at least 1 18 if not 2 with 4d6 drop lowest

last 2 chars rolled

18,15,14,14,10,17 (in that order for ST to CHA played as a battle sorc)

(in that order played as a half-celestial stone giant one word for this insane used a ring of enlarging to make him huge with a +14 ST mod and 6 AOO with a greatsword sized for a huge creature fortunately it was a ECL 20+ game so not an issue but still quite scary)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

40 point buy, generally. Rare heroic villains will also get 40 point buy.

In a SW Saga Edition game I'm a player in, the DM did 5d6, drop the two lowest--but in order, you didn't pick and choose which abilities got which rolls. After rolling (once), you could either swap two scores of your choice, or reroll one. It worked alright.
    Last edited by Talya; 2007-09-15 at 09:11 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

First of all, to explain the system that worked best for us, we added a stat. Comliness represents the characters physical appearance, and Charisma changed to the characters force of personality and inner drive. We start with 9D6 pick the highest and subtract a dice till you are rolling 3D6 for your seventh stat. Assign where you like. You get 3 sets, but you can't go backwards. If you don't like the rolls then you scrap them to get another chance. DM didn't have a problem with powerful characters, because the PC's are suposed to be heroic (and his campaign was rather deadly).
    "I am bleeding, making me the victor!" - Wimp Lo, 'Kung Pow'
    "Nonsense! I would never do such a thing unless you were already having been going to do that!" - Professor Hubert Farnsworth A, 'Futurama'

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

My players usually roll 4d6, best three, eight times, keeping the best six, though recently I've been pondering a 2d8+1d4 system.

The difference there (with 2d8+1d4) would be that the range of a character's stats would be 3-20, averaging 11.5 instead of 10.5.

Similarly, another I've pondered is 1d12+1d8, which'd have a range of 2-20, and average 11, instead of 3d6's 10.5.

Obviously, each of these has a different feel in mind.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I don't roll. Rolling repeatedly is a way to eventually get a character with numbers signficantly above the average.

32 point buy, if spent most efficiently (no stat above 14) yields a character with statistics averaging 13.333. 4d6 drop lowest averages 12.245, but will have some stats above 14. Since 32 point buy averages significantly better than rolling, I don't feel that I'm penalizing my players by insisting on point buy -- and I am ensuring fairness.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasos989 View Post
    Untill the following criteria are met:
    -Stats are playable
    -They aren't boring.

An array of 17, 16 ,10, 7, 8, 7 would be fine with me. An array of 16, 14, 15, 13, 14, 10 wouldn't. While the latter array is more powerful, it is very boring. However, the first one is interesting.

I never want to see if stats are good or bad. When I roll, it is because I want interesting and varying stats that are something completely diffrent than I would choose myself. This is normally 3-7 sets before I find one that I like.

However, most of the time I would rather take pointbuy.
    I agree with Pegasos, I think that it is important for players and characters to have a stat (or two) that is negative. It adds a area of humility to the character. A character with a week area needs other characters to balance out the party.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.