New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default I Want To Play A Different RPG That Isn't D&D And Pathfinder

Hey everybody. It's been awhile since I posted here. I'm looking a different RPG that isn't D&D and Pathfinder. The type of game that I'm looking for is more roleplaying and less action and fighting. Can anyone recommend any games that's good for me please?
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2018-09-04 at 12:50 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: I'm Want To Play A Different RPG That Isn't D&D And Pathfinder

Can you be more specific?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    Can you be more specific?
    Something that's is more dramatic or comedy. But with more roleplaying and little less fighting.

4. - Top - End - #4

Default Re: I Want To Play A Different RPG That Isn't D&D And Pathfinder

Play Poison'd.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Something that's is more dramatic or comedy. But with more roleplaying and little less fighting.
    That's a very broad category but...ok.

I'll throw in chuubos marvelous wish granting engine, which is a diceless game made in part for pastoral sort of play. It's designed to focus on a feelings and moments more than combat, and while it has cool powers tends to use them more for comedy or drama.

And I'll also throw in freemarket. A card based system set on a space station in the future, it's focused on building things, and due to future tech, killing someone is only useful if you're doing it as art or want them to forget the recent past.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateWench

Do you mean that the rules have less combat mechanics, or that the play itself is less focused on fighting? Because any game can have a lot of fighting, or little, depending on the GM and the campaign.

I mean, the reason why you are asked to be more specific, is that there are tons of games that is "more roleplaying and less fighting" compared to D&D. The second biggest title, for example, World of Darkness, would fit that requirement (can also be played either for drama or comedy).

Then you also have games like Fate, or Cortex, or if you're looking for fantasy Burning Wheel, there's Eclipse Phase if you want transhumanist survival horror, you have Ars Magic for medieval wizards etc etc. There's so many RPGs out there that the phrase "more roleplaying and less fighting than D&D" basically describes every game other than D&D.

Maybe this can help you: https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-l...paper-rpg_s-v1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Blue text for sarcasm is an important writing tool. Everybody should use it when they are saying something clearly false.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Oh, I love the Vampire RPG Game. That sounds like a game that I want to try.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

7th Sea is a fun Swashbuckler and Sorcery system set in a quasi-historical pseudo-europe. Magic is specific to each country and restricted to nobility (and by-lows.) To the Vestenmayar will be working with runes, while an Avalonian employs glamour and a Vodacci Fate-Witch... well, you can probably figure that one out.

Ars Magica tends to be RP heavy, but maybe not so much comedy, although you can always sic the faries on any mage who takes themselves too seriously.

An anime system like Teenagers From Outer Space or Big Eyes Small Mouth might serve although campaign focus will heavily determine how much combat you see.

... I realizing that all my suggestions are old. It's been a while since I looked at the new game market.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The various iterations of Vampire have a couple of important caveats. They define interesting settings with no way of encouraging the players to go along with that, and the rules engine can be a little clunky at times. On the upside, everybody does get magic powers, and which powers you invest your xp in does allow for more distinct feeling character builds. Ironically, the best version of the vampire ruleset I've seen is the current version of Exalted. Which is about mythic heroes, so does tend to involve a fair amount of adventuring and fighting.

If you want to take a giant leap in the other direction, Toon is nice for being easy to pick up and get into. You play cartoon characters. The rules openly encourage acting cartoonishly, so people tend to play along.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateWench

Oh, I love the Vampire RPG Game. That sounds like a game that I want to try.
    The old Vampire: The Masquerade has issues with being... well, old (design wise), and is criticized for having a very heavy meta-story that tables are supposed to follow.

The new Vampire: The Requiem has issues with not being the old Vampire and is criticized for not having any meta-story to follow. The revised Requiem (Blood & Smoke or 2.0) is one that I consider the best one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Blue text for sarcasm is an important writing tool. Everybody should use it when they are saying something clearly false.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Here's a whole bunch of suggestions, and they're all free or very cheap.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

If you like Vampire, look into Urban Shadows; it's a game about the politics of different supernatural creatures in a city, and the mechanics are snappy enough to make tons of intrigue happen in just a single session.

I got to play a hapless wannabe scriptwriter in LA who fell in with a werewolf pack leader and got menaced by mages, to the point where he ambushed the mage meeting and shot the lead mage in a fit of rage. It was glorious.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

I'm going to recommend Unknown Armies. It has an amazing setting (despite being yet another 'modern day+magick'), inventive magick (it's postmodern), and a combat section which begins by listing sic ways to avoid combat (because it's swingy and deadly). Oh and magic manages to skirt the line of being powerful enough to be useful and limited enough not to dominate the game even if one Adept class can generate five significant Charges a day.

Plus one type of Adept gets a Traffic Accident spell. What more could you want.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're interested in, but Blades in the Dark is pretty cool.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kivzirrum View Post
    I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're interested in, but Blades in the Dark is pretty cool.
    I'm very open with so many games. Tell me more about the Blades In The Dark.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

If Toon! is still going it is great for very fast (and hilarious) games. Can be played with as much and as little combat as you want.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Hey everybody. It's been awhile since I posted here. I'm looking a different RPG that isn't D&D and Pathfinder. The type of game that I'm looking for is more roleplaying and less action and fighting. Can anyone recommend any games that's good for me please?
    My opinion: Every RPG has huge problems. The huge problems of D&D are well known, which is it's main advantage as a system.

Others have less well known problems, simply due to the system being known by fewer people/players. When I branch out from D&D, it feels like the problems of most other systems are more glaring than those of D&D. For that reason, I tend to prefer games that are either really good fluff and story wise - as in, the setting is enormously well written. Or games where the rules are more sort of loose guidelines.

The best games I've found are Shadowrun/Earthdawn, and Vampire: The Masquerade. All three are frankly somewhat awful, but still provide excellent, fun games. Despite the systems being, as I said, awful. Three quarters of Shadowrun is basically inplayable.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

I am a big fan of Exalted, which is designed to be over-the-top and has lots of ways to use mechanics outside of combat (though how good those mechanics are is...variable and subjective).

BESM (3e is the best of the editions) is a good generic system. Built for anime, it really is more general than that. It is breakable, being a simple-ish points-based system, but it's flexible and no more breakable than 3e D&D or PF.

Legend of the Five Rings (L5R) is set in magic ancient China/Japan (China in size and its imperial house structure, Japan by its clan structure that rules most of the land), and while most of its mechanics focus around combat, it has at least some effort at mechanics for handling the high levels of social interaction and politics it is meant to enable.

IF you want very rules-lite, RISUS is a free system you can web search for by name and find. You give yourself a handful of traits and assign dice from your pool of 10 to them as your character generation. IIRC, it's dice pool/count successes based, and is more a quick resolution-of-conflict system for a nearly freeform sort of gameplay than it is a solid game system in and of itself.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

You've got the right idea--I find that gaming is a much more enjoyable hobby when one keeps an open mind! Blades in the Dark is a sort of dark fantasy urban setting, where the players play as a gang of rogues/thieves/general scoundrels. The rules are heavily streamlined in that direction, but they emphasize roleplaying and have some pretty clever elements. The rules are based on a heavily modified version of PbtA, which is not usually my favorite system, but Blades is very much its own thing, and I think it's really fun.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Blades is phenomenal. I particularly like the way that its rules enhance faction politics and claiming turf for your gang; it's an aspect that is missing from a lot of things.

(I will also second Chuubo's, although I'll note that it can be a hella mess the first time you play it, especially if D&D and its derivatives are your only real RPG experience. It just comes at play from such a weird direction, and is written by someone for whom that direction was second nature and thus didn't need a lot of explanation, that it can take players a while to really get it.)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

If I had to sum it up in one sentence, I'd call Blades a grimdark Dishonored with a focus on building up your gang, your reputation, and planning heists.

I mean there's a LOT more to it than that, but it's how I'd pitch it to a friend in passing.
    l have a very specific preference when it comes to TTRPGs. If you have a different preference, that's fine, but I just want you to know you're having fun wrong.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Paranoia for comedy and drama, Toon for just comedy.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Paranoia for comedy and drama, Toon for just comedy.
    Don't forget Teenagers from Outer Space!
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

You could always play 1e AD&... wait, no.

Okay, how about Starfind... nevermind.

There's always BECM... oh right.

Maybe take a look at Fourth Ed... uh, oops.

Damn, what games aren't D&D or Pathfinder?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

For more or less classic "adventurer party" fantasy: The Dark Eye (caveat: I'm german and use the original version, I don't know how extensive, well-made and available the english translations are).

Games by White Wolf Publishing in general (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...g#RPG_Products). I personally played Vampire, Werewolf and Scion. The combat engine is a bit clunky and it is quite easy to min-max characters with extremely low or high combat efficiency if desired, but I think this is fine because the non-combat stuff tends to be the actual campaign focus instead of "filler" you have to get over with to get to the "action".

Shadowrun has an absolutely great setting if you are into a blend of magic and modern tech. The rules are... not bad, but extremely granular and complicated. You have to spend some serious time to get familiar with them, so I specifically do not recommend it if you just want a change of pace for a one shot or a few sessions.
    Last edited by Berenger; 2018-09-06 at 12:26 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If you want to play something more dramatic, try Warhammer !

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Oh, I can't believe I forgot this, but Mouseguard is pretty great at both comedy and drama, and is all around an excellent system. Especially if you like Redwall.
    l have a very specific preference when it comes to TTRPGs. If you have a different preference, that's fine, but I just want you to know you're having fun wrong.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

7Dsytem.

it's an awesome dice system that's genre agnostic, so you can do vampire, star wars, D&D, or any other theme you can think of.

the thing about the rules is that the skills are all "build your own" type, so no classes, and no levels, you just get skills more... skilled. haha

but the thing i love about the game is that because the system doesn't focus on abilities that allow you to hit something harder, they encourage all sorts of stuff.

here's the base skills that branch out into literally whatever you and the DM decide falls into that category:

physical
    mental
    social
    creative
    senses
    education
    emotion
    constitution

so for example, you might earn the two base ranks (through 5 successes) in education by all sorts of checks like remembering history, or how locks work, or how to help someone recover from a cold.

then you can branch out your education into all sorts of things

the art of assassination
    the art of medicine
    the art of _______

the character development in my experience DMing about 3 campaigns using this system now, encourage all sorts of flavor.

i still have my die hard run in swinging players enjoying the physcial and constitution trees
    but i have one guy who LOVES the creative tree, where he's branched out into crafting and smithing and now makes traps that take down his enemies.

you can even watch me play a game of it on youtube where the creator ran a game for me (i'm one of his patrons on patreon) just look up oslo and the slitherers or 7dsystem on youtube.

enjoy!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

If you want comedy AND drama, you could always try this
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Paranoia :)