New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1139 - The Discussion Thread

Reaction:

Holy ----!

...And delighted laughter* because, of course, the Giant managed to surprise everyone AGAIN.

(I think I might've been thinking earlier that this wouldn't be a Wham Episode because we were already prepared for a big revelation, but if so, boy was I wrong!)

Also, for what it's worth, unless I missed something, Soon only refers to the current world as "the new world" in the Crayons of Time flashback, not as World 2.0 (though that's the comic title for one of the pages). Yes, of course Soon did think this was only the second world, but still, it's cool that his story is technically correct (though very incomplete, as it turns out, but we were all expecting that).

...And now I'm gonna actually bother to catch up on this thread, as it should be very worth it!!

*I guess that may not seem to be the most appropriate reaction when learning of millions of fictional people's deaths, but I swear I'm not a psychopath!

(Edit: formatting)
    Last edited by nolongeralurker; 2018-09-05 at 12:49 PM.
    "The genealogical trees at the end of the Red Book of Westmarch are a small book in themselves, and all but Hobbits would find them exceedingly dull." -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

2. - Top - End - #182

Wow.

That gave me goosebumps.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

(jaw hits floor)

Holey &*(*$*^&^(*%).

how, how..... All those worlds and people.......
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    And we know that the Order will have some kind of victory or else the Oracle saying that at least Elan will have a happy ending will not come to pass which is impossible.
    In The Wheel of Time they had a suggestion to how having such a prophecy doesn't guarantee a victory for the good guys (in-story at least, the readers obviously know it's going to happen anyway).

Basically the only way to subvert such a prophecy with an accuracy rating of 100% is to have some kind of natural enemy of creation unravel reality, thereby also ruining the threads of fate which would otherwise have made the prophecy come true.

So a prophecy is fully accurate as long as it concerns anything within the system, but the moment something from outside the system (like the Snarl) comes in and destroys the entire system (the world and threads of reality it's woven out of) it's off the rails again.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh. My. Gods.

So the party is fighting even more odds than they thought. More than a Million/1...
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    The second is that you don't need to be locked into only being able to take certain types of actions to be incapable of changing your ways for the better. People seem to do that all the time and we humans are supposed to have full freedom of choice.
    Tangent: It is an interesting question whether things like celestials, devils, gods actually possess the same degree of volition as humanoids. The answer is not obvious. Perhaps that is because there are many possible reasonable self-consistent positions here.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Pixie in the Playground

Ok...

So, I was expecting a twist. Something along the lines of, "the whole Snarl-thing happened before, and this world is not actually the world's Second Edition. It's the Third Edition." Because, you know, it's based on Third Edition D&D rules. Heck, it's the 3.5 Edition because the Order of the Scribble papered over some of the cracks.

Something along those lines.

This though...

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    They depend on the belief of the mortals to exist. Any previous such deities probably died when the souls of the believers got devoured.

Bit of an oversight for the Dark One, I'd say, but that's what you get when you trust the info provided by other Evil deities.
    Well he's got the souls of his army-thing to keep him going until the next world if they can sustain him. He's been racking up Goblin souls for a while now, and they breed fast.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

9. - Top - End - #189

RogueGuy

I think my hair is going to stay on end for the foreseeable future for... Unrelated reasons.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post

So the party is fighting even more odds than they thought. More than a Million/1...
    Or perhaps, exactly a million to one, so a sure thing?
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

Given that we know that:
    1) The gods create one world at a time after each failure
    2) The Snarl has consumed an uncountable number of worlds
    3) The Azure City rift contained a world

I wonder if the Order of the Stick will tell the story of the origin of the multiverse of Material Planes. Right now there is only one Prime Material Plane. But if the Snarl doesn't destroy each world the gods create, but rather consumes it whole, and these worlds continue to exist within the Snarl, then perhaps if it were to be defeated (unraveled?) all the worlds the gods created would be liberated. Perhaps Roy and company are not trying to save the world, but to save all worlds.

12. - Top - End - #192

On the general topic of 'the gods aren't all that good at making worlds to keep the Snarl locked up':

Progress comes in two (general) flavors: breakthrough and incremental.

Breakthrough progress is the giant leaps forwards, the discoveries that alter our understanding of at least one field of knowledge forever. They're among the most celebrated advancements of humanity's history, but they're also the rarest.

Incremental progress is what most people work with. Taking what we already know and making it just a little bit better each time we use it. Take batteries for example: The industry is constantly attempting to make batteries that contain more energy, last longer, and are in general better than previous examples of batteries while remaining the same size. The progress is slow and improvements can often be considered minimal, but over time they add up to something significant.

The Snarl's prison is, as of the latest comic, clearly an example of incremental progress. Each time the gods remake the world, it lasts a little bit longer, the Snarl takes just a bit more time to break free after rifts appear, the Gods get a little bit faster at 'pulling the plug' before the Snarl unmakes all the inhabitants' souls. It's agonizing to think about, but given that the first world lasted 4 years with all souls lost and the current one has lasted at least 1184 with the expectation that (almost) all souls will be able reach an afterlife in the event the Snarl escapes, the gods are getting better at this. Slowly, for certain, but still better.

Also, the longer you spend performing incremental progress, the more likely you are to stumble across a breakthrough. Who knows? Maybe this time there will be a breakthrough in containing the Snarl.
    Wind & Sound Elemental Eric Greenhilt avatar by Akrim.elf
    Bodyguard in Lix's Harem
    Ninja-Pirate of BvS's Privateer village! Come and join me!
    My Extended Signature
    My Pokemon!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Well he's got the souls of his army-thing to keep him going until the next world if they can sustain him. He's been racking up Goblin souls for a while now, and they breed fast.
    It could be, but the bottom line is that there don't seem to be leftover ascended deities from previous worlds, so something stops them from surviving (I think it is well past plausibility that this is the only world where there have been ascensions). I find my hypothesis that "they need living believers to continue to exist" a simple Occam-y explanation, but if you want to offer your own, I'm all ears.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2018-09-05 at 01:04 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

14. - Top - End - #194

Lizardfolk

I wonder if not every god who's part of the current Pantheons was actually present at the beginning?

15. - Top - End - #195
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It appears that the gods think a world which lasts longer, and contains the Snarl, is better. Even though they can all escape to the Astral Plane if they have any warning (one presumes that changing planes for a god is a Move Action or a Swift Action).

We don't have any in-strip testimony that the Snarl has ever managed to devour a god other than the Eastern Pantheon in the initial attack.

What we don't know is how unique this iteration of the world is. Is the bet a one-off? Is the Dark One new? Or is this a Wheel of Time sort of story where the same actors keep telling the same story over and over, hoping that this time it will be different?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

16. - Top - End - #196
    Dwarf in the Playground

It's easy to forget how long ago the dawn of time really was

17. - Top - End - #197

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: OOTS #1139 - The Discussion Thread

It seems funny to me that anyone would know about the gods of Greece (East) if that many worlds were created and they were eradicated in the first one as crayons seem to indicate.

They can not talk about the snarl unless someone knows about it. But .... I am easily confused. Each world had the knowledge.
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

WHAT.

I got nothing else to say.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
    In The Wheel of Time they had a suggestion to how having such a prophecy doesn't guarantee a victory for the good guys (in-story at least, the readers obviously know it's going to happen anyway).

Basically the only way to subvert such a prophecy with an accuracy rating of 100% is to have some kind of natural enemy of creation unravel reality, thereby also ruining the threads of fate which would otherwise have made the prophecy come true.

So a prophecy is fully accurate as long as it concerns anything within the system, but the moment something from outside the system (like the Snarl) comes in and destroys the entire system (the world and threads of reality it's woven out of) it's off the rails again.
    But if that the case then there is a possibility that everything will be destroyed. Of the living, dead and every single god. And if that happens then all that will be left is the Snarl and nothing else.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by RMS Oceanic View Post
    I dunno, who says there were only four pantheons in the first world?
    The same person that told us there were two worlds i suppose

21. - Top - End - #201
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It could be, but the bottom line is that there don't seem to be leftover ascended deities from previous worlds, so something stops them from surviving (I think it is well past plausibility that this is the only world where there have been ascensions). I find my hypothesis that "they need living believers to continue to exist" a simple Occam-y explanation, but if you want to offer your own, I'm all ears.

Grey Wolf
    Another possibility is that not every god knows how to flee to the astral plane, or that the other gods can somehow throw the ascended deities to the Snarl to buy time to escape.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Default About what happened in #1139

Wow. Is all I have to say. I guess when you are immortal facing your only possible means of death, just keep creating to prevent it is all you can do.

On a different note, I think we now know why there is a planet in the rift of Azure City now...
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by denthor View Post
    It seems funny to me that anyone would know about the gods of Greece (East) if that many worlds were created and they were eradicated in the first one as crayons seem to indicate.

They can not talk about the snarl unless someone knows about it. But .... I am easily confused. Each world had the knowledge.
    People in each world that learn of the Snarl, or the rifts are told the same story: "The first world got et, we lost a pantheon in the process". They simply don't tell about the number of other worlds - that's the bit they keep secret.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So, if Thor is shrunk down and simplified right now, how big would these markers actually be relative to the gods that created them? Knee-high? Waist-high? I'm thinking knee, but I'm bad at perspective.
    Even the wind will know agony.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote0715 View Post
    My God! It's full of (dead) stars!
    It's gravestones all the way down...

Fans of Doctor Who may also be reminded of the Capaldi-era story Heaven Sent.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Nightcanon View Post
    It's gravestones all the way down...

Fans of Doctor Who may also be reminded of the Capaldi-era story Heaven Sent.
    That's exactly what I thought of as I kept scrolling down. Here's hoping this story, too, ends with
    Spoiler
    Show
    the kind of spectacular breakthrough that makes all that death worth something.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2018-09-05 at 01:20 PM.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

27. - Top - End - #207

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talion View Post
    I...ah...wow. Yeah, consider my jaw dropped. Did not see that coming.

What that tells me is that this isn't something they can fix by putting up a new world again. At best, that'd be a temporary solution. What they need is a way to untangle the Snarl once and for all. Someth...

How long are the odds on "The Dark One is actually the Snarl"?
    Whatever they were they became a lot shorter.

The snarl is super old and super smart (i'm guessing) it's very likely that the dark one figured out a way to act as a god in some respects.

It wouldn't even surprise me to find out that he invented the goblinoids at some point, and other gods have been running with it.

Good thought!

28. - Top - End - #208

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Time View Post
    But if that the case then there is a possibility that everything will be destroyed. Of the living, dead and every single god. And if that happens then all that will be left is the Snarl and nothing else.
    I was counting the gods as also being outside of the system technically (since they're not created out of reality threads so far as we know) so it'd just be this world getting pulled apart but yeah that's the threat you face when dealing with something which unravels reality.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: About what happened in #1139

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    On a different note, I think we now know why there is a planet in the rift of Azure City now...
    Care to enlighten us?

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Genuinely dumbstruck by that splash panel. Even when it was clear what the comic was leading to, I didn't expect it to be so... full...
    Colborn "Col" Setwall - Lv. 3 Human Monk | IC | OOC | Sheet
    Raam Hope - Tiefling NPC Commoner | IC | OOC | Sheet

Is futile to argue. Nod. Get treat.