New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread V: Escape from LA

LA +1 or +1*.

IMO, it getting Trap the Soul as an SLA is not terribly unlike get to Sorc 16. Trap the Soul is a powerful, powerful spell. It's a single target SoD, true, but you can negate SR and raise the DC by 2 relatively easily for normal encounters to assuredly for foreshadowed ones, and this thing will be rocking CHA 36 easy, if not 40 with the appropriate manual if one decided to go all-in.

SR is appropriate against CL 20, DR 15 is a damn nice chunk, the Outisder HD are a treat, and +4 STR, +10 DEX, +8 CON, +8 INT and +8 WIS is nothing to laugh at. Makes you very tough all-around.

Divine Feats are truly excellent, and you have a metric ton of Rebuke attempts to fuel them with due you massive, massive CHA score. And considering CHA is a stat that's the easiest, I feel, to add to things, that's a pretty sweet spot.

I'd be tempted to even pick up a couple of levels in Paladin, or something that gives Divine Grace, just to have saves of "Yes". One could easily be rocking all saves at mid-30s with just a +5 cloak of resistance. Tho really, with all good saves and these stat boosts, one can get to near auto-save levels pretty easily with, say, a Conviction.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2018-12-05 at 10:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyNotEvil View Post
    LA +1 or +1*.

IMO, it getting Trap the Soul as an SLA is not terribly unlike get to Sorc 16. Trap the Soul is a powerful, powerful spell. It's a single target SoD, true, but you can negate SR and raise the DC by 2 relatively easily for normal encounters to assuredly for foreshadowed ones, and this thing will be rocking CHA 36 easy, if not 40 with the appropriate manual if one decided to go all-in.

SR is appropriate against CL 20, DR 15 is a damn nice chunk, the Outisder HD are a treat, and +4 STR, +10 DEX, +8 CON, +8 INT and +8 WIS is nothing to laugh at. Makes you very tough all-around.

Divine Feats are truly excellent, and you have a metric ton of Rebuke attempts to fuel them with due you massive, massive CHA score. And considering CHA is a stat that's the easiest, I feel, to add to things, that's a pretty sweet spot.

I'd be tempted to even pick up a couple of levels in Paladin, or something that gives Divine Grace, just to have saves of "Yes". One could easily be rocking all saves at mid-30s with just a +5 cloak of resistance. Tho really, with all good saves and these stat boosts, one can get to near auto-save levels pretty easily with, say, a Conviction.
    You have only three levels to work with before level 20. If you're LA +0.
    At LA +1, you don't get Divine Grace until you're level 20 - if you only take paladin levels. Any other path to Divine Grace would not get there until Epic levels.
    It'll take even longer if you want things like Mettle or Evasion.

The Ak'Chazar is good, sure, but it's not really worth the extra +1 LA on top of the 17RHD it already has.
    No DM is ever truly out of tricks to mess with his/her players.
    No player is ever truly out of ways to surprise their DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    You can use Create Greater Undead to turn any single corpse (not any specific corpse, just a corpse in general) into a shadow, wraith, or spectre, which then can turn any humanoid into more of itself. Because technically, only the first undead is controlled by you (the other ones are controlled by their creator), there's essentially no limit on how much you can control.
    Logistical issue: What happens when one of the people you're sending your sire-wraith to drain turns out to be high-level enough to poof it, or literally anything else of the sort happens while it's doing important draining work? Sounds like you'd have an uncontrolled wraith horde on your hands, and that probably wouldn't end well for anyone. Especially not the cat-guy who'd been forcing them to do his bidding.
    This sounds like a pretty fundamental flaw of any infinite-minion plan which relies on the single point of failure going out to convert more minions. And if you're commanding the sire-wraith to command its children to command their children to do stuff, I foresee the precision of orders falling drastically by simple Chinese-telephone.

Quote Originally Posted by Remuko View Post
    Im going for +0 based on all the arguments. Take or leave the * i dont mind either way, dont wanna be part of that debate.
    This is my current position as well. Aside from not wanting to be part of the debate; I'll happily plink at either side of the argument, as long as I don't get sucked in too deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Summoned ones don't count, since the poster said the PC was on the demons' home plane.
    They might have been talking about exploding demons. Which are a serious problem, even when they aren't on Mars.

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyNotEvil View Post
    I'd be tempted to even pick up a couple of levels in Paladin, or something that gives Divine Grace, just to have saves of "Yes".
    Also because the image of a company of undead crusading in the name of all that is good and holy is hilarious.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Logistical issue: What happens when one of the people you're sending your sire-wraith to drain turns out to be high-level enough to poof it, or literally anything else of the sort happens while it's doing important draining work? Sounds like you'd have an uncontrolled wraith horde on your hands, and that probably wouldn't end well for anyone. Especially not the cat-guy who'd been forcing them to do his bidding.
    This sounds like a pretty fundamental flaw of any infinite-minion plan which relies on the single point of failure going out to convert more minions. And if you're commanding the sire-wraith to command its children to command their children to do stuff, I foresee the precision of orders falling drastically by simple Chinese-telephone.
    As each generation of undead is spawned, the older generations becomes more and more valuable. I imagine each arch-necromancer-lich sends out only the newest generations for conquest, and keeps all the others safely by his side in his stronghold - the eldest are probably almost as valuable as his phylactery.

Makes for a good plot hook though... a daring band of adventurers aim to throw the undead armies into disarray though, by striking at the villain and his undead "generals".

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

That's going to make * pretty meaningless, though.

Lots of monsters have cleric / wizard / druid / sorcerer casting.
    Case in point, this silly ruling means we need to go back to any monster that could potentially get 8th level cleric/wizard/sorc spells and put a * because of this spell. I think that is silly. This is an over reaction and inappropriate use of the *.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft
    Summoned ones don't count, since the poster said the PC was on the demons' home plane
    I thought they were referring to shadow, wraith, and specter as they specifically need humanoids to make their spawn so the issue is normally a moot point at these levels unless you are specifically aiming to find villages of low level npc humanoids to make this happen. Again this seems like a player issue not a monster issue.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    They might have been talking about exploding demons. Which are a serious problem, even when they aren't on Mars.
    Sure, no Balor skeletons. Just gotta make do with Klurichir skeletons. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    Case in point, this silly ruling means we need to go back to any monster that could potentially get 8th level cleric/wizard/sorc spells and put a * because of this spell. I think that is silly. This is an over reaction and inappropriate use of the *.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidformat View Post
    I thought they were referring to shadow, wraith, and specter as they specifically need humanoids to make their spawn so the issue is normally a moot point at these levels unless you are specifically aiming to find villages of low level npc humanoids to make this happen. Again this seems like a player issue not a monster issue.
    You can't Wight-pocalypse the Abyss, but you can certainly make good use of your undead creation SLAs.

Since wrecking a setting via Wight-pocalypse is generally bad for a game, and making good use of your SLAs is generally good for a game, I don't see anything objectionable about sending these PCs to Demonia.

In fact it seems like a place where this character could play out his remaining levels without even the most squeamish DM needing to reach for the splat-bat.

7. - Top - End - #667

In addition to outsiders that have racial death triggers, at levels in the late teens, it is not unreasonable to think that a big bad would make sure his underlings and minions could not be killed and then interrogated with Speak With Dead, be it by heroes or by rival evil factions. Or turned into intelligent undead under their killers' control with the knowledge of their former boss's operations.

Certainly, not everyone would have countermeasures in play, but at least some will. And I'd also expect that many people would want to protect themselves from being turned into undead (especially intelligent undead) and controlled by someone else, and many, if not all, of those protections would be relatively easy to obtain at the levels we are talking about.

--
    --

At any rate, I not sure a * is really necessary, since spawnpocalypse by proxy is something that any serious opponent shouldn't be too worried about when 9th level spells are in play. There are both bigger problems to deal with and ways to easily deal with spawnpocalypse.
    Besides, a spawnpocalypse by proxy would reduce the number and quality of higher tier non-spawn undead you can actually use without worrying about losing all the spawn.

In addition, spawnpocalypse by proxy is a lesser concern, IMO, as it is not something that automatically happens - a player has to choose to do it.

That said, I can understand why someone would be concerned about the potential for such being built in to a character's race.

The more important question is the LA modifier itself, since I suspect most DMs who allow monsters would let a player use an Ak'Chazar if they were assured that the player wouldn't try a spawnpocalypse via proxy.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

Summoned ones don't count, since the poster said the PC was on the demons' home plane.
    It's still unclear whether transformative fiends such as baatezu leave corpses, given that their bodies are reshaped after death into a lower form.
    Last edited by Caelestion; 2018-12-06 at 08:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    It's still unclear whether transformative fiends such as baatezu leave corpses, given that their bodies are reshaped after death into a lower form.
    What supplement says that (and where)?

Devils canonically seem to leave corpses, since you can pay 20 gp to get the dried, shriveled heart of a Devil (with more than 5 HD) as an optional spell component, per the BoVD optional components section.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ogre in the Playground

That was the case in 2nd Edition Planescape. I doubt they ever went into detail for 3rd Edition.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    That was the case in 2nd Edition Planescape. I doubt they ever went into detail for 3rd Edition.
    IIRC all fiends stayed dead (and most left a corpse) if you killed them on their home plane in 1e and 2e.

Same was true in 3.5e -- page 18 of FC2, if you're interested.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a useful reference to remember. Thanks.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, no Balor skeletons. Just gotta make do with Klurichir skeletons. Meh.
    Just because I don't think a response is non-nonsensical doesn't mean I think it's good.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

IIRC all fiends stayed dead (and most left a corpse) if you killed them on their home plane in 1e and 2e.

Same was true in 3.5e -- page 18 of FC2, if you're interested.
    Minor nitpick: FC2 talks about devils only. Demons are "permanently destroyed--both its body and its essence" (FCI 9) when killed inside the Abyss--"destroyed" probably means it's in no condition to be animated (animate dead requires a "mostly intact corpse").

Other outsiders have no specific text describing their remains, so they presumably leave corpses as any living creature.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Titan in the Playground

yes hello I am not dead

Votes! The asterisk and value are resolved separately because a number of people had an opinion on one but not the other. I'm assuming people who said +0 without further clarification meant '+0 and no asterisk' with this, rather than '+0 and undecided on the asterisk'.

+0: 11 votes
    +1: 9 votes

Asterisk: 7 votes
    No asterisk: 10 votes

As can be seen, in both cases the votes were rather close. An interesting trend I noticed was that right after the post was made, most votes were +1, but later on +0 votes became more common (with a number of people even shifting from one to the other). Anyways, +0 without an asterisk it is.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

16. - Top - End - #676
    Titan in the Playground

Rakshasa, Naztharune

Another rakshasa: this one mostly martial. Let's see if it's as problematic as the Ak'Chazar.

11 outsider RHD with relatively so-so abilities (nothing goes past +10, and most stats are closer to +4), okay speed for a medium biped (40 ft.) and some reasonable defensive abilities in DR 15/good and piercing, SR 21, improved uncanny dodge, and Improved Evasion.

Further notable abilities are 6d6 sneak attack, Change Shape, continuous Detect Thoughts, Shadow Jump (albeit with the hilariously small range of 20 ft./day) and Hide In Plain Sight (the good version, not the one rangers get).

Comparing a 1st-level Naztharune rogue to a full-classed rogue, I'd argue the former outperforms the latter quite clearly. The better saves, speed, HP, and stats are very useful, the Naztharune actually has better sneak attack, and the rogue misses out on HiPS, Change Shape, DR, and SR. The main reason to pick rogue would be some obscure ACF, race-exclusive material, a special ability, or (bwahahahaha) Trap Sense. The two options get a bit more balanced when you consider prestige classes, but even with those I'd argue the Naztharune outperforms rogues at +0.

Considering this, I'll assign +1 LA. Do discuss.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2018-12-24 at 10:57 AM.

Entries have been posted for the newest round of Junkyard Wars. Are YOU the judge we need? And while you're there, vote for the next round!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

17. - Top - End - #677

Concur with +0.

Edit: pretty sure the Naztharune ends up behind on some of the key rogue skills, like Disable Device, so you aren't as good at traps and such.
    Last edited by javcs; 2018-12-10 at 02:20 PM.

18. - Top - End - #678

I say a strong LA +0. Solid all rounder that keeps apace with a well built Rogue or any other skill monkey; in fact, unless I really wanted a specific prc with difficult requirements, I might actually prefer this rakshasa for a skill monkey dealing precision damage. With +4 Int, you can catch up on the missing skills quickly enough once you start taking actual levels.
    Last edited by ViperMagnum357; 2018-12-10 at 02:27 PM.

19. - Top - End - #679

Seems to me like you just get a bunch of bonuses compared to a Rogue and don't lose anything (other than trapfinding, which you get back with a 1-level dip). I don't really know much about Rogue builds though.

I'll put it down as +1 tentatively.
    Last edited by OgresAreCute; 2018-12-10 at 02:44 PM.
    Known among friends as "Ogres"

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    ...so as we can see, no internal consistency from WotC (unsurprising).

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing less than a +2 LA will do in my eyes.
    It should very obviously be compared to a rogue. And its strictly superior in almost every manner.
    With insane stat boosts, Full BAB. Natural defences. HIPS. Change shape, the list goes on.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

I'm inclined to agree that it should at least be +1, unless you can come up with a really good argument for why you would rather play a straight rogue.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2018-12-10 at 02:56 PM.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    It should very obviously be compared to a rogue.
    Agreed.

And its strictly superior in almost every manner.
    Also agreed (though again, prestige classes even things out a bit).

Nothing less than a +2 LA will do in my eyes.
    Disagreed. Rogue is tier 4, the optimization goal is tier 3. If the ideal optimization level was single-classed rogue I'd agree, but with the goal being a step above rogue I don't think +2 is appropriate.

Extended signature!

23. - Top - End - #683

Rogue is a T4(versatility) class, and not exactly the top of T4, either.
    The T3(versatility) classes most like the Rogue are usually considered to be Bard and Factotum.

Plus, PRCs. Cannot forget about all the PRC options. A Rogue would have 15 levels of PRCs to work with.

The Naztharune is a solid choice - you're certainly never going to regret running one in its role. It is not, however, an automatic choice for that role.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

I think we were talking about rakshasha variants last time (or I was just thinking of this exact monster) when I brought up that opportunity cost probably reduces LA. A rogue could potential be something better than this improvement on a rogue by level 15, but this is only ever going to be an improved rogue.

What are some PRC combos that could compete with this super-rogue? There are also probably some race choices that could affect the balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

25. - Top - End - #685

+0 for me. It's better than a rogue, but not transformatively so. A rogue with good PrCs will probably match it or beat it out. A swordsage is probably about as good.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OgresAreCute View Post
    Seems to me like you just get a bunch of bonuses compared to a Rogue and don't lose anything (other than trapfinding, which you get back with a 1-level dip). I don't really know much about Rogue builds though.

I'll put it down as +1 tentatively.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I'm inclined to agree that it should at least be +1, unless you can come up with a really good argument for why you would rather play a straight rogue.
    Agreed. Put me down for LA +1 as well.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

+0 is fine for the rogue rakshasa.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ok so the best comparison I have to this is a melee rogue4/swashbuckler7 which is still tier four and probably somewhere in the middle lower half even still or rogue4/swashbuckler6/Swordsage1 taking the level of sword sage at 9 which is probably middle middle upper tier 4. Comparatively Naztharune has the same sneak attack as the rogue4/swashbuckler7 or slightly better slightly worse than rogue4/swashbuckler6/Swordsage1 depending on stance; better bab by 1 and 2 respectively, better saves across the board, and similar or slightly better hp due to better con mod but slightly worse hd. In comparison to above melee rogues the Naztharune comes out ahead on skill points and its special abilities give it a noticeable edge over either above builds as a stealth melee rogue that is also a party face.
    These above comparison seems like the best comparison point for the Naztharune and there isn't really a great tier 3 alternative. I suppose we could use swordsage as the tier 3 alternative? In which case the Naztharune still comes out ahead across the board.
    The other choices for rogue tend to be things like assassin builds ( something like Rogue 5/Assassin 9/Swordsage 1/Unseen Seer 1/Nightsong Enforcer 4), unseen seer builds (Rogue 1/Wizard 5/Unseen Seer 10/Arcane Trickster 4 or Rogue 1/Wizard 4/Unseen Seer 10/Spellwarped Sniper 5) which sit around tier 3 or perhaps even tier 2 if well optimized or goofy stuff like whisper gnome builds focused on size or kobold builds focused on maxing the number of natural attacks. All which are harder to compare to the Naztharune because the differences in utility. However, just going based off of the functionality of the Naztharune it has enough utility baked into the race that I am comfortable with a +1 though I think it is on the lower side of +1. It still has enough levels to play with that it can do some interesting stuff and go through a number of prcs. Note that most rogue based prcs are based off of skills and or sneak attack rather than other class features so the Naztharune could easily qualify for them.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Firbolg in the Playground

Put me down for +0.
    Sure it's better that a big standard rogue. But it's still worse that the target tier.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ogre in the Playground

It's just straight-up better than a rogue in almost every department, including HD, BAB and saves. I'd have to assign LA +1.