New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Need a weapon design system, if one exists

Hi, I'm currently planning to run a futuristic game, and firearms are going to feature heavily. I've been working with a system of rules called D20 Firearm Mechanics, by Kenneth Hood. This is fairly detailed, but not quite what I'm after- I need a system to create weapons that goes beyond +1 to hit and +2 damage- I need a system where each piece of the gun has it's own effects on the whole. I got the idea when I was looking at a preview for Borderlands, a new game by Gearbox- and I saw a picture of a shotgun. Not just a shotgun, but also little arrows pointing to each component and explaining the effect each piece has.

Does such a system exist, or am I going to have to make it myself?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Need a weapon design system, if one exists

In my opinion, d20 doesn't do futuristic all that well. I'd recommend TORG or GURPS UltraTech.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, if you want a gun to consist of more or less 8 different parts, each can switch out with something else, they each give different effects, and some work extra well together, you'll have to make that up!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvies by Z-Axis, now bearer of 3 divine rank.
    So you may have heard of Lord Herman. Well, he's pretty awesome.
    Chief Arial Commander of HALO
    Through hostilties, Leader of AMEN
    Annoyingly Androgynous Elf
    Larger Avvies:
    Shas aia Toriia (under constuction)
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    you'll have to make that up!
    Or play Star Munchkin

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

From what I recall the Shadowrun Cannon Companion had a pretty detailed and flexible weapon customization/build system in it. I don't know how well that would translate over to D20 Modern but it might be something worth taking a look at.

Aerlock

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, 1 and 2, had a system sorta like this. There were various types of both melee and ranged weapons which, if high quality enough (the equivalent of masterwork) could be upgraded with various components. Melee weapons could swap out blade, grip, and power cell. Blasters had scope, lens, and power cell. In KOTOR 2, lightsabers actually had 6 slots - color crystal, special crystal x2, power cell, lens, and emitter, I think.

Effects you could gain included bonuses to attack or to damage, bonus to accuracy, extra dice of different types of damage, bonuses against specific enemies, defense bonus, stunning, and even trade offs such as a minus to defense with a bonus to attack.
    "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."
    -Dinobot, quoting Hamlet.

Current Characters: