New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

I missed this by a few days, but Thurdad and Sam didn't sing karaoke, they sang a capella which isn't the same thing.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    Sure, it's nice to have a spare, but why does the crew want another reactor, again?
    It's a legal requirement. They aren't allowed to leave orbit without two reactors. Because you really don't want to be in space when your sole reactor breaks down.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #633
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think the second reactor is even referred to as only being necessary for life support (in case of an emergency). So if your main reactor breaks down, you can at least stay alive (or go into cold-sleep) until someone comes along to rescue you.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Sam's approach is kinda backwards, but he has to work with what he's got.
    Also, can't argue with success.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Okay, this guy deserves having Sam inflicted on him.
    I really hope he solves The Morsel's problems- in exactly the way the fool doesn't want.
    Maybe Sam can get him to say "with any means necessary" or something like that.
    Still one of my favourite Babylon 5 moments.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

6. - Top - End - #636

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    New comic

I really hope he solves The Morsel's problems- in exactly the way the fool doesn't want.
    Maybe Sam can get him to say "with any means necessary" or something like that.
    Still one of my favourite Babylon 5 moments.
    The Morsel? Interesting nickname.

I get that his name is De Morel, which is probably a play on "a"moral or "im"moral, but it just makes me think of mushrooms. And wonder if Dr Bowman referred to mushroom-heads at some point.

Edit: full name Mr Ames De Morel. Ame (with a circonflex) being French for "soul". It's possible that the "de" is ironically denoting a descriptor and the guy is actually A Moral Soul. But his behaviour so far doesn't support it. Then again he does seem to be overwhelmingly convinced of his own rightness.
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2021-07-21 at 11:51 PM.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theangelJean View Post
    Edit: full name Mr Ames De Morel. Ame (with a circonflex) being French for "soul". It's possible that the "de" is ironically denoting a descriptor and the guy is actually A Moral Soul. But his behaviour so far doesn't support it. Then again he does seem to be overwhelmingly convinced of his own rightness.
    Well if we're reading too much into that, it'd translate to "soul of moral" maybe. Or perhaps "soul of morale". There's a bit of a funny false friend thing going on between French and English, where the nouns "moral" and "morale" are translated, respectively, as "morale" and "moral". E.g.
    "le moral du personnel" => "the morale of the personnel"
    "la morale de l'histoire" => "the moral of the story"

Given how apparently part of the problem is a profound loss of motivation caused by inept leadership, it might be that the morale is a more pertinent reading here than the moral. Either way, it's certainly an ironic name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

8. - Top - End - #638
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I get that his name is De Morel, which is probably a play on "a"moral or "im"moral, but it just makes me think of mushrooms. And wonder if Dr Bowman referred to mushroom-heads at some point.

I think the name if it means anything, which it probably doesn't, Bowman has nothing to do with bows for instance, then the reference will be to the mushrooms, probably to the "kept in the dark and fed bull****" meme.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Or maybe De Morel-ized? As in -- representative of this entire station which is is (so to speak) a company town after the company left.

I say that because, sure right now he'd being portrayed as the schnook who tried to pay the protagonists with a reactor he knew wouldn't serve their needs, and they could just try to enact some just desserts and move on, but the overall plot arc seems to be that they will figure out how to rescue this station's economy. If so, De Morel is unlikely to get a thorough comeuppance, and thus I don't think he'll be made into quite the mustachio-twirling villains that Mr. Kornada was.

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    if it means anything, which it probably doesn't
    Or that, of course.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-07-22 at 07:04 AM.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    Or maybe De Morel-ized? As in -- representative of this entire station which is is (so to speak) a company town after the company left.

I say that because, sure right now he'd being portrayed as the schnook who tried to pay the protagonists with a reactor he knew wouldn't serve their needs
    Did he know that, though?
    and they could just try to enact some just desserts and move on, but the overall plot arc seems to be that they will figure out how to rescue this station's economy. If so, De Morel is unlikely to get a thorough comeuppance, and thus I don't think he'll be made into quite the mustachio-twirling villains that Mr. Kornada was.
    Kornada was more portrayed as utterly urresponsible than actively malicious.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #641
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Did he know that, though?
    It's certainly not clear, but the would-a-few-rolls-of-duct-tape-make-this-better bit leads me to believe that, at least at the moment, that's how he's being portrayed regardless. He's (and I'm sure there's a better word for this) the schnook that's not paying them what they wanted, and it remains to be seen if Sam is going to get what he wants by negotiating with him, fooling him, or working around him.

Kornada was more portrayed as utterly urresponsible than actively malicious.
    Agree but not sure of the relevance. My point is that he was portrayed as an over-the-top antagonist -- one that the audience wouldn't feel bad with just about any form of comeuppance. And he got quite a comeuppance, and it felt cathartic. Everything we've seen so far (particularly the number of strips dedicated to discovering exactly why the station is in such economic plight and why exactly each part of it isn't paying each other and doing vital maintenance and such) suggests to me that the main plot arc here is the protagonist team figuring out how to make the station viable again, such that maintenance will happen and everyone won't die horribly, Winston's parents can continue to live there, Niomi can have gainful employ, and everyone live happily ever after (excepting the main cast who will move on to new adventures when the next story arc happens in 3-8 IRL years). Therefore it is my hypothesis that this De Morel guy is not going to get some epic just desserts, and as such won't turn out to be nearly the Karmically-acceptable-target that Kornada showed himself to be.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-07-24 at 08:25 AM.

12. - Top - End - #642

I think the name if it means anything, which it probably doesn't, Bowman has nothing to do with bows for instance, then the reference will be to the mushrooms, probably to the "kept in the dark and fed bull****" meme.
    Oddly enough I think I *just* found out where the name Bowman came from, hang on....

Quote Originally Posted by Tardis.wikia
    Dr. James Alistair Bowman: Dr Grace Holloway came up with the name "Dr. Bowman" for the Eighth Doctor whilst introducing him to others at the New Year's Eve party. (TV: Doctor Who) The Doctor subsequently used the "Dr. Bowman" alias on occasion, filling it out to "James Alistair Bowman".
    Just had to confirm dates to check - The telemovie was 1996, Freefall started in 1998.
    *edit*: the comic apparently started being published online in 1998 - wikifur says it started in a fanzine in 1989. Now I wonder when Dr Bowman and the name Bowman's Wolf were first introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Well if we're reading too much into that, it'd translate to "soul of moral" maybe. Or perhaps "soul of morale". There's a bit of a funny false friend thing going on between French and English, where the nouns "moral" and "morale" are translated, respectively, as "morale" and "moral". E.g.
    "le moral du personnel" => "the morale of the personnel"
    "la morale de l'histoire" => "the moral of the story"

Given how apparently part of the problem is a profound loss of motivation caused by inept leadership, it might be that the morale is a more pertinent reading here than the moral. Either way, it's certainly an ironic name.
    I'm actually leaning towards this one now. Demoralised? I figure that's the way the workforce are feeling, both as a consequence of the factories not having a purpose, and probably also because of the attitude of this particular manager.

I say that because, sure right now he'd being portrayed as the schnook who tried to pay the protagonists with a reactor he knew wouldn't serve their needs, and they could just try to enact some just desserts and move on, but the overall plot arc seems to be that they will figure out how to rescue this station's economy. If so, De Morel is unlikely to get a thorough comeuppance, and thus I don't think he'll be made into quite the mustachio-twirling villains that Mr. Kornada was.
    I agree with Fyraltari that he didn't necessarily know that the reactor wouldn't serve their needs, but my take is that he didn't actually care. This guy isn't out to deliberately trick people into doing what he wants with the promise of a reward that doesn't eventuate. He is more about penny-pinching - that is, getting whatever he can without spending any money. If he can promise them something that he already has, and has no need of, who cares if it actually works for them. But I agree with Willie the Duck's predictions about the direction of the story, mostly...

Agree but not sure of the relevance. My point is that he was portrayed as an over-the-top antagonist -- one that the audience wouldn't feel bad with just about any form of comeuppance. And he got quite a comeuppance, and it felt cathartic. Everything we've seen so far (particularly the number of strips dedicated to discovering exactly why the station is in such economic plight and why exactly each part of it isn't paying each other and doing vital maintenance and such) suggests to me that the main plot arc here is the protagonist team figuring out how to make the station viable again, such that maintenance will happen and everyone won't die horribly, Winston's parents can continue to live there, Niomi can have gainful employ, and everyone live happily ever after (excepting the main cast who will move on to new adventures when the next story arc happens in 3-8 IRL years). Therefore it is my hypothesis that this De Morel guy is going to get some epic just desserts, and as such won't turn out to be nearly the Karmically-acceptable-target that Kornada showed himself to be.
    I was with you right up until the last sentence. De Morel being comically punished or given an excessively "fitting" retribution wouldn't serve the purposes of anyone else in the comic - what they need is an economically viable space station. And unlike Kornada, he's not coming off as supremely self-serving. So I'm not sure what you mean by "some epic just desserts"?
    Last edited by theangelJean; 2021-07-24 at 08:22 AM. Reason: comic dates

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I was with you right up until the last sentence. De Morel being comically punished or given an excessively "fitting" retribution wouldn't serve the purposes of anyone else in the comic - what they need is an economically viable space station. And unlike Kornada, he's not coming off as supremely self-serving. So I'm not sure what you mean by "some epic just desserts"?
    That's because I missed the negative. He is not going to get any epic just desserts like Kornada. Edited the original.

14. - Top - End - #644

Oddly enough I think I *just* found out where the name Bowman came from, hang on....

Just had to confirm dates to check - The telemovie was 1996, Freefall started in 1998.
    *edit*: the comic apparently started being published online in 1998 - wikifur says it started in a fanzine in 1989. Now I wonder when Dr Bowman and the name Bowman's Wolf were first introduced.

Comic #9 it turns out, at least for the name.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

15. - Top - End - #645

Well, if you want "Dr. Bowman" to be a reference, there's a certain character named Dr. David Bowman in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

Is the part of the problem sam sees something actionable, or is it just the observation that the manager apparently thinks 50% of all the money the station is wasting is an enormous sum.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Is the part of the problem sam sees something actionable, or is it just the observation that the manager apparently thinks 50% of all the money the station is wasting is an enormous sum.
    I think the problem is that however big the sum is (which I don't believe is actually known), that manager wants almost all of it. Which would mean, if he got his way, nobody else would be in any way motivated to save money. He is in some ways as bad as Kornuada, just not so blind to the law.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-07-25 at 06:36 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

I think the problem is that however big the sum is (which I don't believe is actually known), that manager wants almost all of it. Which would mean, if he got his way, nobody else would be in any way motivated to save money. He is in some ways as bad as Kornuada, just not so blind to the law.
    Yeah, I think the point of the interaction is that if you wanted to work together with them to get like ten bucks, he'd be the guy to insist he'd get nine of them or something because he doesn't want to pay you five dollars.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-07-25 at 06:39 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

While I'm not sure a court would agree that Sam just got contracted for 51%, I sure got a chuckle out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by PoeticallyPsyco View Post
    While I'm not sure a court would agree that Sam just got contracted for 51%, I sure got a chuckle out of it.
    Oh, not a snowball's chance in an inferno, but it was funny.
    I was going to say, 'that's the kind of thing that would work in a children's cartoon show*,' but then realized it'd work on plenty of cartoons not aimed specifically at child (Simpsons or Futurama, or the like), and then realized that I was talking about a comic strip, and realized that it really is consistent with the strip as a whole.

Freefall is (a little) odd in that Florence basically is living in a realistic sci fi world where people triple check their spacesuit seals and have to register flight plans, while Sam gets to have half the town chase him (but then not lock him away) and everyone ends up with ice cream. Where this interaction with De Morel will land (perhaps he will have to end up paying 51% of the savings) might depend on the Realism-Wacky mix this plot ends up being.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2021-07-30 at 07:23 AM.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Okay, so I think I miscalled this guy's likability/value as a karmic target. I will say I think we were lead a bit astray, as it was previously telegraphed that the station had lost its main purpose and was, perhaps, kind of a natural retracting economy (and that that was the problem to be solved).
    One would have thought that some place like a space station would have already had robots where robots could do a job.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Yes. He does like few others.
    I am still curious about how Sam's own morale code see this though.

Or if Sam points out how proffitable it is to replace him with a robot.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #653

Yup, a demoralizer.

As funny as it is in a cartoony comic like Freefall, people like him really exist, and it's absolutely not amusing in the real world.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

Oy, this guy's a ****.

That's all I have to say.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #655

New ship coming up? The robots really like to be useful.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

This sounds like the kind of random act of construction that could really cut down the profitability of a space station with limited supply of raw materials.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, I thought they had already left the bomb factory with their new reactor. Is the bomb factory on the station?
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wait, I thought they had already left the bomb factory with their new reactor. Is the bomb factory on the station?
    I don't think they ever actually went to the bomb factory, just called them. The reactor will take a bit to fabricate so it's more efficient for them to do other things while they wait.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

29. - Top - End - #659

Hmm.

The robots collectively owe Florence a large number of work-hours. She doesn't want to use them. Or she doesn't want them. There's a difference...

Since she can't pay the robots for the new reactor in other currency, she's accepting the need to use the work-hours. Sam proposed that once they get paid for sorting out the station, they will pay back the robots.

But now the robots are considering actively twisting her words. They know that one interpretation of what she asked is for a new reactor. But if they made her a new ship instead, that would use up a lot more work-hours. That she would want to pay back. And hasn't actually asked for.

What's the ethics of paying a collective debt in unsolicited materials?

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

I think your misunderstanding the situation?
    The robots saw chance to build something. And to help Florence.
    Two things they both badly want to do.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar