New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Freefall 3: Death Ray Byproducts

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Which might be a piece of a solution. Currently there are not that many settlers as deep space or even an asteroid field are not exactly human-friendly environments. Robots on the other hand might be fine out there and with them becoming citizens, some might want to go out to explore the local star system and start building infrastructure around it.
    Well, they could work on infrastructure for gathering asteroids for mining, much like the comets that have been collected for water.

Also, this page.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2022-03-07 at 03:03 PM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    No myopathy necessary
    Do not confuse myopia with myopathy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Do not confuse myopia with myopathy!
    What's amazing is that that was an autocorrupt, and I can't believe that my browser considered myopathy a more prevalent word so as to suggest it.
    Will change.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems pretty short sighted to not think when the inspectors show up they might tell the station to use robots to fix everything faster.

Alternatively, his whole plan is just to force the workers to fix his toilet.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Titan in the Playground

No hot water doesn't seem so bad when the living quarters are stuck at 30°C.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    No hot water doesn't seem so bad when the living quarters are stuck at 30°C.
    It doesn't work out, the water from the mains gets there quite quickly and is at mains temperature, if the rest of the station is at 20 degrees it'll be that, it can't be below freezing or the pipes would burst, but it could be anything above zero C.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It doesn't work out, the water from the mains gets there quite quickly and is at mains temperature, if the rest of the station is at 20 degrees it'll be that, it can't be below freezing or the pipes would burst, but it could be anything above zero C.
    I think their point was that cold showers wouldn't be awful if you've been sweating since you got home from work.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Coming from Sam that payment plan sounds kinda like some kinda con.

Oh well, biggest downside I see is that it'd force that manager guy to pay any robot workers.
    So, not a downside at all.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

NFTs are still around in the future? Goddammit!
    Forum Wisdom

10. - Top - End - #760

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Coming from Sam that payment plan sounds kinda like some kinda con.

Oh well, biggest downside I see is that it'd force that manager guy to pay any robot workers.
    So, not a downside at all.
    It is my belief that anything involving NFTs is a con.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    It is my belief that anything involving NFTs is a con.
    The way I see it, it seems to be a system playing at human's desire to own something exclusive. Even before the internet there were collectors, who bought for example art only to simply be the ones that have it. Collecting stamps, action figures or rare comic books is the same thing. NFT is this kind of desire distilled to the purest form - you can claim ownership of something without being able to do anything with that something. Most people will not care about it, but there are individuals for whom this is precisely what they want.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Pull out the current era of overinflated expectations, scams on people who don't understand the things but think they are the next big thing you have to get on board with, and just in general the people that have made crypto a lifestyle, NFTs are just another collectable. Long before either, there are more people who lost money collecting Beanie Babies or variant comic book covers in the 90s (or speculated in gold futures) than those who kept the alpha black lotuses until they cost a new car's worth or bought Apple stock right before the iPod brought the company back up, etc.. I imagine that in a future with multiple star systems but little interplanetary travel, a lot of collectables would be in NFT form. One thing that is for sure is that the fad would have had to have ended by then, so Florence's card would have to stand on its own merits as collector-desirable, and we haven't seen reason to think so (excepting if the robots do it out of adoration).

One thing I'm hoping this isn't going to turn into is a webcomic author-tract on NFTs.
    Last edited by Willie the Duck; 2022-04-07 at 07:25 AM.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Orc in the Playground

The way I see it, it seems to be a system playing at human's desire to own something exclusive. Even before the internet there were collectors, who bought for example art only to simply be the ones that have it. Collecting stamps, action figures or rare comic books is the same thing. NFT is this kind of desire distilled to the purest form - you can claim ownership of something without being able to do anything with that something. Most people will not care about it, but there are individuals for whom this is precisely what they want.
    But NFTs are not exclusive.
    There's nothing stopping a NFT seller from selling another NFT for the same link.

99% of NFTs are scams.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

One thing that is for sure is that the fad would have had to have ended by then, so Florence's card would have to stand on its own merits as collector-desirable, and we haven't seen reason to think so (excepting if the robots do it out of adoration)
    I dunno, first union membership of an AI?
    Sounds unique enough to be worth quite a bit to someone.
    Certainly not the silliest thing people spent money on.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

I dunno, first union membership of an AI?
    Sounds unique enough to be worth quite a bit to someone.
    Certainly not the silliest thing people spent money on.
    It is within the boundaries of non-silly conceivable, but I still would want more in-comic-universe worldbuilding establishing that everyone is watching this development with AIs as a moment in history. Also, if so, that other people on Jean aren't also going around being the first to give an AI a non-union paycheck, a receipt for purchasing their own body, a birth certificate, their own monogrammed sweater, and a bunch of other firsts surrounding this moment in time.

I guess this also hinges on how much salary we are talking about.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Orc in the Playground

I fear for Sam's safety with this idea, yet I cannot turn away.

17. - Top - End - #767

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    Looking away is how he gets close enough for the san damage to be permanent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    Sam's safety? I'd rather think of all the other people on the station. In a different setting such sanity destroying incident would induce a temper tantrum spiral over the whole station.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

I don't think I like Tess' idea of "fixing" things.
    On the plus side it can only get worse.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

So we do have literal steam cens(o/e)rs. Nicely played.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

21. - Top - End - #771
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    So we do have literal steam cens(o/e)rs. Nicely played.
    Also, checking out the background shot, picnic/conference tables, beach chairs, an elevated (I assume) hot tub (looks to be a full flight of stairs up), and blimps (what kind of ceiling height are we talking about?). This is some swanky digs for a space station where (I assume) space is at a premium and everything has to be shipped in from somewhere else.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Also, checking out the background shot, picnic/conference tables, beach chairs, an elevated (I assume) hot tub (looks to be a full flight of stairs up), and blimps (what kind of ceiling height are we talking about?). This is some swanky digs for a space station where (I assume) space is at a premium and everything has to be shipped in from somewhere else.
    I think the blimps aren't vehicles, probably some sort of drones (toys maybe?) But yeah, this looks like a ten-twelve-meter high ceiling, which is incredibly wateful on a space station. Or maybe it's the perspective being wonky.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #773
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I think the blimps aren't vehicles, probably some sort of drones (toys maybe?) But yeah, this looks like a ten-twelve-meter high ceiling, which is incredibly wateful on a space station. Or maybe it's the perspective being wonky.
    Oh, yes. I didn't mean vehicular blimps. I think they are beach-ball to vaguely larger sized (hard to tell, as two of them are the same size, despite one looking to be significantly farther away from the frame of reference).

Freefall, for all it's relative realism, definitely does hew towards the 'convenient to film' hallways of a Star Trek show or 'they keep talking about every cubic meter being precious and things are hard to get, but they mostly show this by a side character getting booted to a smaller (single person) apartment or it being tough to get fresh eggs' setup that Babylon 5 had. Realistic space adventures would be cramped and boring. I understand why the realism line was cut where it was.

Even then, this kind telegraphs that this place is a decided luxury. Perhaps part of the initial station design, being deemed necessary to keep an isolated population in good spirits/morale/mental health.

24. - Top - End - #774

Even then, this kind telegraphs that this place is a decided luxury. Perhaps part of the initial station design, being deemed necessary to keep an isolated population in good spirits/morale/mental health.
    Alternatively, this was storage space for reaction mass or something like that, that the end of the moon transfer operation has made unnecessary, so it has been reclaimed as a spa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

25. - Top - End - #775
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, yes. I didn't mean vehicular blimps. I think they are beach-ball to vaguely larger sized (hard to tell, as two of them are the same size, despite one looking to be significantly farther away from the frame of reference).
    I wonder if they're actually at the same distance from the viewer, but at different heights. You can see the shadow of one nearby, but not the other.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

And it got worse...

Eh, "normal" is just another word for boring anyway.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Alternatively, this was storage space for reaction mass or something like that, that the end of the moon transfer operation has made unnecessary, so it has been reclaimed as a spa.
    A reasonable guess. My only issues with that are that 1) they bothered to put it into the rotating habitation section, and 2) I would expect them to put support pillars and the like in the middle of such a room (aside from just a lot of space, this spot takes a lot of structural enhancement around it to let it be this big and open).

New comic
    And it got worse...
    That's a strange way to spell 'better.'

28. - Top - End - #778
    Troll in the Playground

A reasonable guess. My only issues with that are that 1) they bothered to put it into the rotating habitation section, and 2) I would expect them to put support pillars and the like in the middle of such a room (aside from just a lot of space, this spot takes a lot of structural enhancement around it to let it be this big and open).
    It did not have to be for reaction mass - it could have been any other storage. There is also a possibility that this was meant to be recreation area from the very beginning. We are talking about a really big space station designed for semi-permanent stay of the crew. If you consider that humanity is at a point, where they can easily extract resources from asteroids and such, so making the station big enough to have room for non-essentials is not as big of a cost as it would be for us right now.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

It did not have to be for reaction mass - it could have been any other storage. There is also a possibility that this was meant to be recreation area from the very beginning. We are talking about a really big space station designed for semi-permanent stay of the crew. If you consider that humanity is at a point, where they can easily extract resources from asteroids and such, so making the station big enough to have room for non-essentials is not as big of a cost as it would be for us right now.
    Well, yes, that was sort of my point above. I guess I framed it as realism, and I realism kinda is an open question for societies which can move moons. My overall point is that Stanley puts effort into focusing on realism as we know if for things like radiation exposure in space, muscle degradation/bone decalcification in microgravity, etc., but then shifts to rule-of-cool OR I guess 'they are so advanced this is the new realistic.' Either way I think we're on the same basic page.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"You never want to stuff rotten apples into your brain"

Err, that's generally a good idea, yes.