New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D Subclass Contest IV Voting Thread

Our fourth contest is over already! We had 8 entries this time, down from the last few but still a solid number.

Simple rules. Vote for your number 1, number 2, and number 3 picks. You can't vote for yourself. A number 1 vote is worth 3 points, a number 2 is worth 2, and a number 3 is worth one.

Also enter your top two picks for the next theme from those randomly pulled from the list of future themes. The winner will be our next theme, while the runner-up will be guaranteed to be in the voting next cycle. A number one pick is worth 2 points, and a number two pick is worth 1.

Entry Creator Inspiration 1st 2nd 3rd
    Barbarian: Path of the Mad Chemist Vogie League of Legends (Singed) 0 1 0
    Fighter: The Bulwark pygmybatrider The Iliad (Ajax) 2 1 2
    Warlock: The Heart of the Cards gloryblaze Yu-Gi-Oh! 1 0 0
    Wizard: Pinball Wizard nickl_2000 The Who: Pinball Wizard 1 3 3
    Warlock: Maker of Masks MoleMage Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Happy Mask Salesman) 1 0 0
    Fighter: Final Hero Ninja_Prawn Final Fantasy Series (Various Protagonists) 0 1 2
    Fighter: Combat Medic SleeplessWriter Star Trek (Bones) 0 1 0
    Cleric: Gluttony Domain Ivellius League of Legends (Tahm Kench) 3 1 1

Classes unrepresented in contest 2: Bard, Druid, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer. This is the lowest class distribution to date, with only 5 classes represented.

Theme Description 1st 2nd
    The Pen Is Mightier Subclasses that scale based on writing, drawing, or print 1 0
    Keep it Simple, Stupid Simple subclasses 1 1
    Calling Card Subclasses about summoning 0 0
    Odd Man Out Paladins, using any of the themes from contests I to IV 0 1
    Five Star Subclasses based on luxury or opulence 3 1
    Bunch of Fives Subclasses which use their fists or the "five-finger discount" 1 1
    Some of the theme options this time are special because we've reached a small milestone: we are about to start our fifth contest! Not only that, around the time the fifth contest starts we will have been making Subclasses for about half a year! (Technically it will start 6 days before half a year, but I'm not gonna not start it on a Monday).

That said, I don't want to force everyone to vote only for special options, so there are still three options in there from the normal suggestion list. Special options can still carry over if they're the runner-up, but I'll also carry over The Pen is Mightier (unless of course, it wins).

This thread will stay open until the end of the day November 11. The following day I will recheck all vote counts and declare a winner, then post the next contest thread. Good luck everyone!
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2018-11-15 at 06:32 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: D&D Subclass Contest IV Voting Thread

1. Bulwark
    2. Pinball Wizard
    3. Final Hero

1. Five Star
    2. Bunch of Fives

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Submissions Voting:
    1. The Bulwark by pygmybatrider
    This has a distinct feel that also occupies a fairly unique mechanical niche when it comes to the Fighter class. Basically a mobile, friendly siege tower that evokes Ajax quite effectively? I'm sold. I'd want to let someone use it if they asked: the highest praise I can give.

2. The Final Hero by ninjaprawn
    This is not only quite creative, but it also doesn't feel like most Fighter archetypes and would enable more "underdog" heroes to have a role in the party. The mechanics reinforce the flavor effectively. And it makes me laugh!

3. Pinball Wizard by nickl_2000
    I would have never expected this to come out as a class option. Surprise creativity pushes this into the final spot for me. It also fits surprisingly well as a wizard school. Well done.

Themes Voting:
    1. Five Star
    2. Keep It Simple, Stupid
    DM's Guild Work

5e Homebrew: The Circle of Progress, a druid circle about becoming a transformer - Winner of 5e Subclass Contest 1 - "It's Technical"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

1. Maker of Masks
    2. Bulwark
    3. Pinball Wizard

1. Five Star (I've already got an idea for a draconic warlock patron)
    2. Odd Man Out
    "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!"

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

1. Pinball Wizard is definitely the best entry here (that wasn't written by me).
    2. Gluttony Domain comes second. Mechanically it's solid. An absolute unit, you might say. But I'm not 100% sold on the fluff.
    3. The Bulwark is in third. The whole "creature to which you are conferring cover" thing seems really cumbersome (especially because, as written, it doesn't exclude people that you might be passively providing half cover to) and the "move with them" for half your speed thing just doesn't feel like good design. But I appreciate the Ajax reference and the power level seems about right.

I'll abstain from the theme vote, since I think I need a break from contests for a while.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wooo, another contest down! Well done to everybody who submitted.

1. The Heart of the Cards Patron by gloryblaze. To invent an entirely new mechanic for a subclass contest is impressive enough, but the more times I re-read this, the more I love it. It addresses one of the main drawbacks of the warlock in limited spell slots, but without making it blatantly overpowered (I think. It is a little difficult to comment on this one without playtesting.) The element of randomness/chaos might be frustrating to some, but I think there's something to be said for that feeling of triumph a player would get when they pull the card at just the right time. Trap Card would need to be discussed with your DM, but if one of my players brought this subclass to me as is, we'd definitely be able to work something out. Creative, flavourful, and fun - exactly what you want from your homebrew.

2. Pinball Wizard by nickl_2000. Inspiring inspiration in the form of an old earworm. Follows the wizarding tradition pattern of some very strong features and some more niche ones. I still don't think No Distractions needs the bit about keeping advantage/disadvantage, but that's a very minor complaint in the grand scheme of things. Looks like it would be a lot of fun to play.

3. Gluttony Domain by Ivellius. A unique theme I've never seen before, and fitting spell list/mechanics. I particularly like how the features are split between boosting melee capabilities and buffing potential, allowing for a support character that doesn't feel pigeonholed into do-nothing-while-I-concentrate-on-a-spell. I would love to play a morbidly obese Goliath Gluttony cleric as a sort of half-ogre on a ravenous hunger pilgrimage.

Congrats to everyone involved! It was a tough decision to pick a final 3.

My two cents for the next contest:

1. Keep it Simple, Stupid
    2. Bunch of Fives
    Last edited by pygmybatrider; 2018-10-31 at 09:40 PM.
    My 5E homebrew thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...omebrew-Thread

Including:

• Path of the Reaver Barbarian (kill all baddies with TWF!)
    • The Bulwark Martial Archetype (become a human shield!)
    • The Sporting Wizard (because magic is for sissies!)
    • Headhunter class (poison your weapons, scalp your enemies!)
    • Mesmer class (Int-based melee, extra reactions!)
    • Shaman class (thunderbolts and lightning!)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

1. Gluttony Domain
    2. Path of the Mad Chemist
    3. The Bulwark
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

1) Gluttony Domain
    2) Combat Medic
    3) Pinball Wizard

1) Pen is Mightier
    2) Five Star
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

1: Gluttony Domain
    2: Pinball Wizard
    3: Final Hero

I am abstaining from the theme vote this time around.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

How come nobody told me I had failed to start the next contest? I've been thinking I still had time all week!

Votes are tallied, and it looks like it went so:

In 3rd place, with 10 points, we have pygmybatrider's Fighter Archetype: The Bulwark! Defend your allies! Throw spears at people!

In 2nd place, with 11 points, we have Ivellius's Gluttony Domain for clerics! Eat your allies (it's for their own good!) and your enemies (it's for your own good!).

And in 1st place, with 12 points, we have nickl_2000's Pinball Wizard for, uh...wizards! Rebound your spells! Earn replays! Rock out!

Congrats to our winners, and thanks everyone who submitted entries or votes for this contest. I will put together the next contest shortly, and our winner for theme was: Five Star! with 7 points. We have a tie for runner up at 3 points a piece between Keep It Simple and Bunch of Fives, so both of those will appear on the next round of voting.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks Molemage for running it and thank you everyone for the kind words and voting for me
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer