New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 64 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14395455565758596061626364
Results 1,891 to 1,912 of 1912
  1. - Top - End - #1891
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

Severin shrugs in reply to Gabriele. "Fair enough - rabbit stew for dinner then!"

2. - Top - End - #1892
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

While Gabriele and Severin had been arguing with the guards at the mine, Harman had hung back and tried to examine the activity there. While he had had a good look at the man Gabriele and Severin had called "Tick" a few days ago, he couldn't spot the man today inside the bustling mine. Instead, he watched groups of halflings moving to and from the minehead, carrying the tools of the mining trade; pickaxes, shovels, prybars, and hauling carts full of rock ore to the smelters. The men moved after the halflings carrying the tools of their trade; clubs, whips, and ropes. A few of the groups of halflings were tied together, while others remained unencumbered, but still closely watched. He could see two exits from the palisade; a small door where the guards had come from that were accosting Gabriele and Severin, and a larger exit on the far side. He could also see that the nearer exit door was barred from the outside. Inside the mine were several buildings. One seemed to be for storage, tools and the like, while another was for the guard's barracks. A bunch of dirty tents crammed in a far corner were likely for the workers.

At the campfire, Bastien reaches out for the rabbits and once given, he starts skinning and butchering them with a long knife. Another of the drivers pulls out a flask and hands it over to Gabriele. A whiff of a strong but harsh brandy comes from the open top. To Gabriele, Bastien says, "They are another caravan down from Nirena. Came in during the afternoon. I reckon most of them will be up top drinking and what not, could be lively up there tonight." To Severin, he just shrugs, unwilling to voice his opinion with the boss so close by.

Lorenzo stirs at the talking, though, and rejoins everyone with a sour look. He says to Severin, "Just spent two days being given the run around by everyone up top that damned hill. Seems that caravan over there has first claim on the copper. Won't be enough for me, and nobody's telling me what they can get. They offered some crummy low-grade stuff that I wouldn't shift for a quarter of the price." To Harman, he says, "You three are up first and those three are up second. Or the other way around, you can figure it out."

3. - Top - End - #1893
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele will take a swig of the flask with thanks. 'As long as they don't bother us later.'

To Lorenzo, 'Do you know whose in charge over there?' She points to the other caravan. 'Are they friendly with Tollares?'

4. - Top - End - #1894
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Lorenzo shrugs. "It's just some foreman for one of the Mirello trading houses. I don't know what their deal is with Tollares but if they're bribing someone or paying a higher price I can't afford to beat them."

5. - Top - End - #1895
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Mirello? That's the Republic I've heard talk about in Bremcote?" Severin asks. "And what is it you're competing with them for? I figured if you're making a trip to a nest full of bandits then you've already got your deals set up?"

6. - Top - End - #1896
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele shrugged, 'I assume Tollares is the untrustworthy sort. We could always have a chat with his people about what they're doing over here. Maybe the information is worth something to someone?' Gabrielle was mostly thinking of Le Houet but wasn't above helping out Lorenzo while they were here.

7. - Top - End - #1897
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Harman scratches his chin before asking Lorenzo. Big picture what's this mean for us boss? A longer wait here to get the goods we want? Is the trip here wasted? Anything we can do to help the situation? Harman felt for the merchant it seems as if the man was being cheated.

8. - Top - End - #1898
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Lorenzo sighs, and says, "About ten, maybe twelve years ago, a Tilean merchant company set up a colony along the coast near a fishing village. It has grown into the city and the Republic of Mirello, which has prospered greatly. They, well, we, set up a merchant's association to promote trade between this region and Tilea. I took over the trade routes in the Igerang valley, even though it was the furthest away, I thought I could wring some profit from it. The association is supposed to promote trade towards Tilea, so the companies that export to Mirello can pay higher prices, and get priority on bidding. Per the association's bylaws. I hoped there would be enough that I could buy some copper here, a special order for the Duke, but it seems like the mine is having some troubles. As I say, it might be a wasted trip for me, but you'll still get paid. I'll stick around here maybe another week to see if I can salvage something from this mess."

9. - Top - End - #1899
    Ettin in the Playground

It did make Gabriele wonder how anyone reliably made any money doing what Lorenzo did. She'll keep her ears open when dealing with the other guards but will otherwise drop the matter.

On watch she'll take the opportunity to familiarise herself with the area around them. As it got darker it would be better to have some awareness of the landscape even when she didn't have any fire light to help her see. At worse she couldn't discount the possibility of something dangerous from the wilderness deciding to creep up on them. It was more likely though that if they had any problems it would be from the locals.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Failed Gossip test earlier from chatting to other guards or anyone from the other camp

Perception vs. Int 38 (+20 Acute Hearing)
    (1d100)[50]

10. - Top - End - #1900
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Harman is waiting up with Gabriele keeping watch and he asks the woman. I'm still getting used to all the different names for the mini-kingdoms out here. How do you keep them all straight? It's like the people out here have problems with any hierarchy more than two levels deep. lowering his voice to a whisper. If anything a longer stay here means more time to investigate. raising his voice again he asks absentmindedly You think it will rain while we are here. I hate the rain.

11. - Top - End - #1901
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Yeah, we heard the same up in the village. Something about sl-, I mean workers, and guards disappearing?" Severin replies to Lorenzo.

While on watch, Severin has little to say, occasionally doing the rounds of Lorenzo's camp to make sure all's well.

12. - Top - End - #1902
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LarsWester View Post
    Harman is waiting up with Gabriele keeping watch and he asks the woman. I'm still getting used to all the different names for the mini-kingdoms out here. How do you keep them all straight? It's like the people out here have problems with any hierarchy more than two levels deep. lowering his voice to a whisper. If anything a longer stay here means more time to investigate. raising his voice again he asks absentmindedly You think it will rain while we are here. I hate the rain.
    Gabriele responds equally quietly, 'Would you stick around if you didn't like the local bosses? Down here there's probably another one just over the next hill. Back home most places are owned by one noble or another so I can't say this way is worse.' The downside being that a slaver like Tollares could likely survive as long as he could defend his lands. She'll grin at Harman, 'Can't say I can keep them all straight either. I'll worry about that when we're actually in the other one's lands.'

13. - Top - End - #1903
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Lorenzo raises an eyebrow and says, "Oh really? That bastard Nasir just said production was down. Didn't say why. Must be trying to keep it quiet."

Once the rabbits finish cooking, the other men take their share and then head off to sleep. Across the way, the workers at the other caravan finish setting up their camp and then rush off to the path up the mesa. The night passes quietly as you patrol the area around Lorenzo's camp. Mannslieb is waning and thin in the sky while Morrslieb's baleful glare shifts erratically as it dips behind clouds. At one point Gabriele hears the sound of hoofbeats leaving the other caravan's camp, fading into the night.

14. - Top - End - #1904
    Ettin in the Playground

To Lorenzo, 'Wouldn't that mean less copper for everyone? I wonder if the ones in the other camp know anything about that?'

At the sound of the horse leaving Gabriele will get closer to the other camp so she could see where the horse was going or at least see if anyone in the other camp looked agitated.

15. - Top - End - #1905
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"If I were in Tollares' shoes, I'd just make sure to be selling to the buyer who's guaranteeing the best price. From the sounds of it, that would be the competition," Severin interjects, pointing his thumb over his shoulder in the generel direction of the other caravan.

(Assuming Gabriele alerts him about the rider...)

"You want company?" he asks his friend as she stands to leave.

16. - Top - End - #1906
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    [COLOR="#000080"]
    "You want company?" he asks his friend as she stands to leave.
    'Sure. I wasn't going to be sneaky anyway. Don't want someone over there to get the wrong idea.'

17. - Top - End - #1907
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

You approach the other camp, carefully, as to not to startle anyone. Which turns out not to be necessary, as you come closer you see two older men, asleep by a campfire that's burned down to coals. One of them has a flask gently clasped in his hands. Looking to the south, you can see some dust and a clear trail of hoofprints heading away from the camp.

18. - Top - End - #1908
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Evening squire," Severin hails the man with the flask. "We're from Lorenzo Beltramo's camp over yonder," he continues.

"We heard someone setting off on horseback in a hurry and thought there might be thieves, well, more thieves about. You folks been having any trouble?"

19. - Top - End - #1909
    Ettin in the Playground

'They asleep?' Gabriele will look around to see if there was anyone around who seemed to be paying more attention. 'What if we were here to rob the place?'

20. - Top - End - #1910
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The men are asleep. The one with the flask starts guiltily as Severin speaks up. "Uh. ****. Yeah, uh, what's up?" He looks around. "Was just closing my eyes for a second. He nudges the other man with his foot and they stand up. The man with the flask says, "Who are you again?" while the other one says, "Hey! Where are the horses?"

21. - Top - End - #1911
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Oh, right - sorry to wake you," Severin apologizes. "I'm Severin and this is Gabriele - we're guards with Lorenzo Beltramo. We heard what sounded like someone riding off in a hurry so we came over to see what the ruckus was about. From the sound of things, that may have been your horses..."

OOC: I honestly never registered that the two men were asleep.

22. - Top - End - #1912
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The man curses. The other one yells for the others to start waking up. In minutes, the camp is awakened with the sound of yelling men...

The stories continues...