New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Defending weapon

i didnt see anything covering this type of question already.

Does the bonus for defending weapons stack?

For example could i use a +2 defending/+2 Defending quarterstaff, give up all the bonus to attack and gain +4 to AC?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: Defending weapon

It does say in the description that it "Stacks with all others", so given that, I'd generally allow it to do so.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Yes you can. Just keep in mind how much money you are spending on that AC bonus. It is much, much more expensive to do than other methods.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

i believe they function as a dodge bonus, and dodges stack so yeah. personally i find it's a better idea to save your weapons enchantments for offense and get + armors instead, unless your character really hates to be hit.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's not a dodge bonus. It's an unnamed bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    Yes you can. Just keep in mind how much money you are spending on that AC bonus. It is much, much more expensive to do than other methods.
    This is why my new favorite combo to protect a caster is Defending and Greater Magic Weapon. Think about a high-level Sorcerer with a Quarterstaff with +1 Defending (each end). Every morning he casts GMW on each end of the quarterstaff, and then never actually uses it to attack -- voila! +10 AC for 16600 gp and 2 spell slots, a great tradeoff.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I hate wizards so much sometimes.
    Aratos Tell
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

If they do in fact stack, you could get an obscene armor class at high levels with the addition of four items:

+1 Defending Gauntlet (right): 8300ish gp
    +1 Defending Gauntlet (left): 8300ish gp
    +1 Defending Shield Spikes: 8300ish gp
    +1 Defending Armor Spikes: 8300ish gp

Each providing [1/4 Caster Level -1] AC.
    (5th-7th: Nada)
    (8th-11th: +4- 8300 gp/AC)
    (12th-15th: +8- 4150 gp/AC)
    (16th-19th: +12- 2766 gp/AC)
    (20th: +16- 2075 gp/AC)

This might be best for a Cleric so you don't have to beg for all of your Wizard/Cleric's 3rd/4th level spells each day.

Foiled by Amiria two posts down... then by Shhalahr.
    Last edited by Dr. Weasel; 2007-09-21 at 08:19 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I don't think most DMS would let defending armor spikes and shield spikes work though. Defending is supposed to represent the weapon moving of its own volition to intercept attacks. How do the spikes on your armor do that?

Still works by RAW, though.
    Aratos Tell

Megiddo
    Active Effects:

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Also keep in mind that you have to use the weapon in an attack (and both ends of the quarterstaff if you want both boni) to get the AC bonus. Just holding the weapon in your hand or have it welded to your armor or shield won't do it. So a spellcaster can't cast spells (apart from swift or immediate) in the same rpund where he gets the AC bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Defending
    A defending weapon allows the wielder to transfer some or all of the sword’s enhancement bonus to his AC as a bonus that stacks with all others. As a free action, the wielder chooses how to allocate the weapon’s enhancement bonus at the start of his turn before using the weapon, and the effect to AC lasts until his next turn.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-09-21 at 03:59 AM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    It's not a dodge bonus. It's an unnamed bonus.
    But unnamed bonuses from identical sources do not stack.

Doesn't stack for that reason.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

The line in question from the ability's description could easily be argued to simply mean that the decision of whether the bonus applies to attack or defense has to come before the weapon is used, if it is used at all.

The sentence structure and grammar supports both views. It's an instance of bad writing, as it's not as specific as it should be and therefore contains two mutually exclusive meanings.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, task mage

STFUitP

12. - Top - End - #12

Why would you buy a Defending weapon? Weapons are twice as expensive as armor and similar magic items. So you can get the same exact effect for a much better bargain if you're smart about it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

You make a defending weapon because it stacks with armor. If it didn't stack, there wouldn't be many uses for it, but it does.
    "I wonder how he's doing?"
    <shout from other room>"QUICK DRAW, WHIRLWIND ATTACK!"
    "Apparently not so well..."
    -From an actual game session

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Why would you buy a Defending weapon? Weapons are twice as expensive as armor and similar magic items. So you can get the same exact effect for a much better bargain if you're smart about it.
    But you couldn't get so many sources of it as you may have weapons...

If they stacked, a Thri-keen with Armor spikes could potentially have a ridiculous AC.

For that reason, I'd say they don't stack, regardless of general stacking rules (which I feel are somewhat ambiguous on this specific point).

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Leicontis View Post
    You make a defending weapon because it stacks with armor. If it didn't stack, there wouldn't be many uses for it, but it does.
    That's correct. But there are tons of different bonuses to AC out there that stack with each other. Armor, Shield, Natural, Deflection, Unnamed, etc. You need not invest so much money in a Defending Weapon in order to get the AC you desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    But you couldn't get so many sources of it as you may have weapons...

If they stacked, a Thri-keen with Armor spikes could potentially have a ridiculous AC.
    Not really. Magic weapons are very expensive. If your Thri-Kreen wanted four +3 Defending weapons, it would cost him 128,000 gp for a +12 to AC. I'm pretty sure I could get a lot more bang for my buck with 128,000 gp via other magic items.

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

thanks for the thoughts all. Im playing a monk for my friends campagin (yes i know they are a weak class). GMW and defending weapons are what i was trying to do to make up for the lack of armor.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr_Windrider View Post
    But unnamed bonuses from identical sources do not stack.

Doesn't stack for that reason.
    Except that, in this case, the ability description says it "stacks with all others." Individual descriptions trump general rules. Multiple defending weapons, by RAW, absolutely stack.

Quote Originally Posted by OzymandiasVolt View Post
    The line in question from the ability's description could easily be argued to simply mean that the decision of whether the bonus applies to attack or defense has to come before the weapon is used, if it is used at all.

The sentence structure and grammar supports both views. It's an instance of bad writing, as it's not as specific as it should be and therefore contains two mutually exclusive meanings.
    That's ... true. I suppose a DM would be perfectly within his right to use the "before attacking" clause to keep my mage from getting his AC bonus unless he was actually attacking with his quarterstaff. But it also wouldn't be a houserule to allow the quarterstaff AC boost in this way. The rules for Defending are ambiguous.

Personally, I'd allow it, if only because of the arguments I've seen from Duelist enthusiasts about how the Duelist can actually fight with a dagger or main gauche in the off hand (as is traditional for warriors of that style) without giving up his Precise Strike feature, if his off-hand weapon is actually a Defending Dagger.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by leperkhaun View Post
    thanks for the thoughts all. Im playing a monk for my friends campagin (yes i know they are a weak class). GMW and defending weapons are what i was trying to do to make up for the lack of armor.
    Amulet of Natural Armor

Psychoactive Skin

Bracers of Armor

Gloves of Dexterity

Periapt of Wisdom

Ioun Stones

Have a friend cast Mage Armor or similar spells on you.

There are more. That's just from the SRD.

19. - Top - End - #19

DwarfClericGuy

The quarterstaff is not a cheesy double axe or dire flail. Its just a stick. One stick. A stick with metal caps on the ends and maybe some cloth or leather rapped around it for grip. The ends are not separate weapons. A +1 quarter staff is just a +1 quarter staff no matter what end you hit the target with. Its not a +1/+1 that really stack to make it a +2. The quarterstaff is an agile weapon, the European firghtng style is the bases of why a quarterstaff gives the user an extra attack, as if using two-weapons or a cheesy double weapon.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Hawriel View Post
    The quarterstaff is not a cheesy double axe or dire flail. Its just a stick. One stick. A stick with metal caps on the ends and maybe some cloth or leather rapped around it for grip. The ends are not separate weapons. A +1 quarter staff is just a +1 quarter staff no matter what end you hit the target with. Its not a +1/+1 that really stack to make it a +2. The quarterstaff is an agile weapon, the European firghtng style is the bases of why a quarterstaff gives the user an extra attack, as if using two-weapons or a cheesy double weapon.
    On double weapons you have to enchant each end separately.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hawriel View Post
    a cheesy double weapon.
    ^^^^^^The problem with your post.

You should probably head over to Char Op if you think double weapons are cheesy. There you can be "educated."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Except that, in this case, the ability description says it "stacks with all others." Individual descriptions trump general rules. Multiple defending weapons, by RAW, absolutely stack.
    All others. Another defending weapon is the same source.

Interpereting "others" as you do would mean you could say, "Oh, no, I got über-untyped bonus buff from Wizard Bob, who is clearly another different source from Cleric Jane. Therefore her über-untyped bonus buff stacks with it.

It's still the same effect. Saying it stacks with all others is just another one of the rules' inconsitently applied reiterations of a more general rule.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Kaelik- I think he means "cheesy" in a ridiculous-over-the-top-usually-Darth-Maul-fanboy sort of way, which pretty much all the double weapons are.

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Amulet of Natural Armor

Psychoactive Skin

Bracers of Armor

Gloves of Dexterity

Periapt of Wisdom

Ioun Stones

Have a friend cast Mage Armor or similar spells on you.

There are more. That's just from the SRD.
    I know about those, but a +1 defending with GMW is cheap.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Cheesy trick: Use bracelets (I don't remember which book it is). The base cost is 1000 gp, then you can enchant it as normal weapons (+1, +2, flaming, etc...), but you always need to enchant both, doubling the costs. You put on the bracelets, and all the bonuses counts for your unarmed strikes.
    Get two +5 defending bracers, put them on, switch all the bonus to defense (a total of +10) and then use your normal weapon of choice. You can use these with normal armor, since they stack with armor bonus.
    I don't know if a DM would allow it, but as written, you can use it, as defending weapons don't require you to actually be fighting with them.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."