New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default The place for over-analysis...

... And rules lawyering. I like the "Oots of the month" thread without the rules lawyering.

Well I'm gonna start with stat guesses on the group:

Elan: Int- ~10 he can talk and comunicate and isn't a complete idiot.
    Wis- ~-3. Attention span of a gnat. No common sense. No creativity when it comes to illusions.
    Cha~ 18+ They've gained 2 levels, how likley is it that one of those included a stat bonus.
    physical stats- Frankly my dear I don't give a wombat. For any of the guys.

Haley: Int- ~12-13. Smarter than Elan.
    Wis- ~ 15. The only one with a sense motive.
    Cha- ~16-17. Bluff, bluff, and umm bluff.

V: Int- ~18. No self-respecting wizard would be seen with anything else.
    Wis- ~? I've gotten distracted and I don't want to finish this right now.

And the Haley-and-Elan-romance-thing, I think that they're exes. That's why there was the awakard pause in 109. Also Haley wants to know what a 18 charisma is worth since she probably saw it last at 17 or 16 depending on when they broke up.
    Founding member of the Kaylee club. If your relationship with your batteries has been going on for almost a year now, you can join too! Strawberries and Big City Doctors for all!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The place for over-analysis...

Okay I figure Rich is using ye olde 18-8 standard. Every character gets to place one 18, one 16, one 14, one 12, one 10 and one 8. Thus no minmaxing two 18 at the cost of all the other stats using some stat buy schem, no cheated rolls...

Therefore each character has one 18 in one stat. Roy in STR, Haley in DEX, Belkar in CON, Durkon in WIS, Vaarsuvius in INT, and Elan in CHA. This was the easy part.

Next they all have an 8 in one stat. A little harder, but as they all probably have it in a different stat, it can be deduced. You can argue, but this is how I see it...

Vaarsuvius STR, Durkon DEX, Haley CON, Belkar WIS, Elan INT, and Roy CHA.

Those were the easier stats to figure out. The others I really did give thought to, but my thoughts may not match yours. For instance Roy has an MBA, so many might give him a 16 INT. I didn't. I gave him a 16 CON (more value to a fighter) and a 14 INT. In my version Roy's "dump stats" are CHA and DEX (heavy armor). Some could argue for CHA and WIS, but I made CHA and WIS Belkar's dump stats, and INT and WIS Elan's so I had to take care juggling things. Anyway Look at the shiny chart! (look, look, look at the distracting chart...)

Code:
    Stat   Roy   Durkon   Haley   Elan   Belkar   Vaarsuvius
    STR      18      12               10            14            16            08
    DEX      10      08               18            16            14            12
    CON      16      14               08            12            18            10
    WIS      12      18               14            10            08            16
    INT      14      10               16            08            12            18
    CHA      08      16               12            18            10            14

[EDIT] As you can tell I love decostructing things to see how they work... this naturally translates into gaming...[/EDIT]
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Did you take racial modifiers into consideration?

Also, I'd disagree with some of the numbers - in one of the comics (EDIT: #128 to be exact) Vaarsuvius says his/her CHA stat is ... (Haley didn't let the wizard finish, but I think s/he meant abyssmal), which I hardly translate to 14. Not to mention that the mind flayer wanted to eat Roy's brain, not Vaarsuvius's - so he must have an INT (or, arguably, INT + WIS) score better then the elfie.

My first post, wee...

4. - Top - End - #4

Not necesarrilly. Yes, a character with a higher Int and Wis would have more nutritional value for a Mind Flayer, but that dosen't mean that's what he prefers to eat...
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

I stick with my previous statement about Belkar's Wis: with an Owl's Wisdom, he could cast Cure Serious Wounds, a third-level spell. So, he had to have a Wis of at least 13 after the spell was cast (Wis being the primary stat for ranger spell-casting), meaning, since 3.5 Owl's Wisdom grants a +4 to Wis, his Wis could have been no lower than 9 to begin with. Note that this isn't low enough to have a Wis penalty--so Belkar's problems with perception and empathy would be due more to simple ineptitude rather than innate deficiency.

If it weren't for this, I'd agree with Belkar's Wis being 8 or lower--he sure acts like someone with a 5 or worse.

I'd agree with Cubey's comment about V's Cha, as well. V doesn't seem to have much in the way of "people skills", and as an intellect-focused spellcaster I imagine Cha wouldn't have been much of a priority for him (assuming that the characters in Oots get to "create" themselves, which is what it seems like to me).
    Fantasy Star, a Mutants and Masterminds adventure (OOC thread)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly
    Haley: [...]
    Wis- ~ 15. The only one with a sense motive.
    Considering she apparently thinks Lord Tyrinar will actually keep his word and let her father go if she pays him off, and she bought Roy's story about king giants (whatever he says about natural 20s), I'm inclined to put her Sense Motive rating only marginally above the rest of the group, if that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman333
    [Belkar's] Wis could have been no lower than 9 to begin with. Note that this isn't low enough to have a Wis penalty ...
    Actually, 9 Wis is -1.

;)
    -Christian
    "You're thinking of the 'peace and love' monks across the valley. We're the 'law and order' monks."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Stat Roy Durkon Haley Elan Belkar Vaarsuvius
    STR 18 12 10 14 16 08
    DEX 10 08 18 16 14 12
    CON 16 14 08 12 18 10
    WIS 12 18 14 10 08 16
    INT 14 10 16 08 12 18
    CHA 08 16 12 18 10 14
    Hmm going by evileeyore's way...
    factoring in Lilly...
    I have not factored in level 4 and 8 ability bonus.
    I have now facrored in level 4 and 8 ability.

Roy:
    Str 17 He is semi-awesome strong
    Dex 10 He isn't quick
    Con 12 He has average health
    Wis 14 He has a good sense
    Int 14 He could be a wizard, but he just likes swords
    Cha 13 He has a semi-good party face

Roy chose to lower his Con to raise his Wisdom and cha. Granted he has a okayCon, but he could live it.
    14/14/12 Int/Wis/Cha is why the IllIthid that Roy was a balanced meal. Sure he has only int, but he has a lot more Wisdom than V and Cha.
    I added 1 points from leveling to Cha for his party face. One to Strength.

V Before racial adjust:
    Str 12 Dex 12 Con 14 Wis 12 INT 18 Cha 08
    V after racial:
    Str 12 He's average in str,
    Dex 14 Good dex for an elf
    Con 12 He is healthy
    WIs 12 He has okay Wisdom, but not great
    INT 20 He is super smart
    Cha 08 And he has low people skills.

V has a great Int, but his Wisdom is only okay.(above average is just okay). His brain has loads of knowledge, but not very filling (only okay Wisdom) and below average people skills.
    V I think would add to his Int by 2.

Belkar
    Str 16 Dex 14 Con 15 Wis 09 INT 12 Cha 12
    Belkar After Racial:
    Str 14 He has good str
    Dex 16 He is quick and great at it.
    Con 16 He is healthy, exactly great
    WIs 10 He is average in Wisdom
    INT 12 He has a little smarts (not dumb)
    Cha 12 He has a okay face in diplomacy if he ever chose it

Belkar has okay Int, but his wisdom is lacking. Also very angry... so people skills while okay are spicy.
    He added one point in Wisdom to have 10. And one piunt in Con to have more life.

Durkon:
    Str 10 Dex 10 Con 14 WIs 18 INT 12 Cha 14
    After racial stats:
    Str 12 He okay in strength
    Dex 10 he has little need for dex with Full plate
    Con 14 He can take a hit and keep on ticking.
    WIs 18
    INT 12
    Cha 14

He has loads of Wisdom so he is filling, good Cha, but knowledge he be lacking compared to Roy so bland... He would add 2 to Strength to fight good.

Elan: Most constroversial... I think he is plenty smart, but Wisdom he lack... He is like Belkar but less angry.

Str 12 He can fight okay
    Dex 16 He can dodge great (needs in light armor)
    Con 12 Okay health
    Wis 10 Average Wisdom (can be taken as low by onlookers)
    Int 12 He is okay Intelligence
    Cha 18 He has awesome Charisma.

He was a Diet coke for the Illithid because while he has Intelligence, the low wisdom makes it taste not as great, but he is sugary due to his good Charisma. I think he would add to Con to stay alive longer, but on second look he has 18 Charisma possibly.

Haley: Hard to pinpoint...

Str 12 Okay Str
    Dex 16 Great Dex like Elan
    Con 12 Good Con
    Wis 12 Okay Wisdom
    Int 14 good smart girl
    Cha 14 Good Charisma

What is important is all your mental skills so I figured she was the most balanced second to Roy. Which was why it was tasty, but too sweet.
    Her Intelligence and skills helped her with a sense Motive check. While I questioned her WIsdom; it being lower by 2 is only way I can understand Roy being attacked.
    Haley would add to Con to have more life. After all a rogue's life is dangerous.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Christian

Actually, 9 Wis is -1.

;)
    Oh yeah. What the heck am I thinking? That's what I get for posting from work where I don't have my books around to check things in...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

How does it help to know what their stats ae? They probably do not even have stats worked out, so why bother?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Hey, it's fun! For the people who like this sort of stuff.

They know they have stats And Elan's cha is 18.
    Founding member of the Kaylee club. If your relationship with your batteries has been going on for almost a year now, you can join too! Strawberries and Big City Doctors for all!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Halfling in the Playground

Or Haley thinks it's 18. ;)
    You do realize that bringing people back from the dead is an act of utter evil and having the consent of the deceased only means you have an accomplice for your foul deed.&&&&-Shirwill Jack&&&&[currently NOT taking avatar requests]

13. - Top - End - #13
    The_Shadow
    Guest in the Playground

From the illithid strips, we also know for a fact that V has "a delectable 18 Intelligence".

So evidently s/he had a 16 before racial adjustment.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by The_Shadow
    From the illithid strips, we also know for a fact that V has "a delectable 18 Intelligence".

So evidently s/he had a 16 before racial adjustment.
    Elves get +2 Dexterity, not +2 Intelligence. (Unless s/he is from that subrace which gets +2 Intelligence, but there's no evidence of that.)

15. - Top - End - #15

I think they, being the stereotypes that they are, will most likely all have 18 in the prime stat for their class: Strength for Roy (and possibly Belkar), Dexterity for Haley (and possibly Belkar), Intelligence for V., Wisdom for Durkon and Charisma for Elan...
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Where does it state that all hits did exactly 1 point of strength damage?
    *Insert random Terry Pratchett quote here*

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gee Vee
    Where does it state that all hits did exactly 1 point of strength damage?
    Uh, I guess it's possible that they all did 1 and one seventeenth, or that Roy has a strength of 34 and they all did 2 points each, or that they do 1d2 points of damage and he got sixteen 1s and a 2...

But, Keith Rich's penchant for absurdity nonwithstanding, each hit doing one point of strength damage seems most likely.

19. - Top - End - #19
    The_Shadow
    Guest in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish
    Elves get +2 Dexterity, not +2 Intelligence. (Unless s/he is from that subrace which gets +2 Intelligence, but there's no evidence of that.)
    D'oh! I knew that. Honest. :(

As for who has 18's where... it would certainly be symmetrical if Belkar had an 18 Con.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

First post here, been reading only this sub-forum(Comics) for about a month. I think it's possible that 17 is Roy's Dexterity(You cannot move at 0 Dexterity either. At 0 Strength you cannot manipulate objects) Of course, it's just possible that he has 10 dexterity and he succeeded on 7 of the saves...
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

...except Durkon said that roy was stuck with a strength of 0 from the poison
    I shall make up for the lack of ingenuity in my foolish post with a concise and witty signature. Read thus so far? Too late for you!

I laugh.

Possibly the first player in 3.5 to take energy damage (radioactive). See here

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, being the tough guy that he Roy is (good fort-saves), he would easily have succeeded in some of the saves, so maybe not all of the seventeen "hits" made him loose ST.
    BUT: If he gets poisoned and his ST drops to zero, all further poisoning will have no effect. So you cant deduct anything from the fact that he was poisoned 17 times.
    Dr. Doom

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, since succeeding in the fort save nulls the poison, it means that the trap attempted to poison him more than seventeen times. Only seventeen succeeded, and they probably brought his strength score to zero (or lower, which has no effect, as mentioned above).
    Lurkaholic. Fetch me some more lurkahol.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey
    Did you take racial modifiers into consideration?

Also, I'd disagree with some of the numbers - in one of the comics (EDIT: #128 to be exact) Vaarsuvius says his/her CHA stat is ... (Haley didn't let the wizard finish, but I think s/he meant abyssmal), which I hardly translate to 14. Not to mention that the mind flayer wanted to eat Roy's brain, not Vaarsuvius's - so he must have an INT (or, arguably, INT + WIS) score better then the elfie.

My first post, wee...

No I didn't take racial bonuses into consideration. Nor did i take leveling, level drains, boosts from magic items, or permanent boosts from Wish or the like.

My chart was made ages ago, and not updated, hance I still have V as having a CHA that ain't to shabby, when it should probably be like 8.

Good first post by the way.

No if Tom Rich is using something other than ye olde 8-18 standard (which is really only my groups standard...) but something like a 9-17, or heh even something crazy like point buy, then the only way to reasonably determine their stats is though time. Lots of it. We'll just have to wait until far more stats have been revealed.

I still stand by most of the stats as I have them, and if I allow for stat overlap, I can easily fix V's CHA score..

I still feel that the 18's are where they should go. A STR of 1 is close enough to zero in my book... and the poison may have done more or less than 1 STR damage each time. COuld have hit his CON and DEX too...
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Re. the poison: One container of poison is marked "Poison", the other "Even Nastier Poison". So at least one of them would have to do more than 1 damage a pop.

We know some of their Alignments too...

All but Belkar are either Neutral or Good on the G/E axis, because they were affected by Unholy Blight in #11.

Class restrictions:
    Belkar cannot be Lawful (if he's taking a level in Barbarian).
    Elan cannot be Lawful (he's a bard).
    Durkon must be within one step of Thor's alignment. Durkon must be either Neutral or Good because he can turn undead.

From the comics:
    Elan is "the Good twin, not the Neutral twin".
    Durkon is Lawful ("Being a dwarf is about doing your duty, even if it makees you miserable").
    If the requirement to be "of pure heart" means Good and not just "non-evil", then Elan and Roy are both Good; and so is either V or Haley.
    V is probably Lawful (#128, where he talks about the personal discipline needed to be a wizard) and at least Neutral on the L/C axis
    Haley is not lawful (she uses bluff and thievery way too much).

Roy is LG (Belkar says he's "Lawful Stupid" when he had his Strength drained by the poison; and besides, his dad plays canasta with archons... meaning his dad is probably Good too.)

So, the possibilities:
    Roy: LG
    Varsuuvius: LG, LN, TN, NG
    Haley: NG, CG, TN, CN
    Durkon: LG, LN
    Belkar: CE, NE
    Elan: CG, NG

My guesses:
    Roy: LG
    Varsuuvius: LN
    Haley: CG
    Durkon: LG or LN (really can't decide...)
    Belkar: CE
    Elan: CG

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

I worked out today that V is tenth level since she started off at level 7-9. However, during the comic s/he has gained two levels. The first level that s/he gained gave him/her a new spell l-e-v-e-l which means that she must have started at eighth level since a wizard gains levels at seventh and ninth. Therefore, the first time in the comic s/he leveled up s/he must have become ninth level and the secod time in the town s/he became tenth level.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

*Sniff*...All the over-analysis...the nit-picking, the detail-finding, the rules-sifting...you all make me so proud to be a nerd! *Waaaah*

Seriously, it's so, so sweet to be a geek in the internet age. Just imagine, before the internet, we all would have been unable to share our nit-picking with others, secluded and isolated in the prisons of our own minds, never knowing there was a whole community of like-minded nerds out there wishing there was someone they could talk to about these sorts of things...

(Of course, that's not taking into account the fact that without the internet most of us would never have read OotS in the first place, but hey, never accuse me of paying attention to the facts.)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan Marsh
    I worked out today that V is tenth level since she started off at level 7-9. However, during the comic s/he has gained two levels. The first level that s/he gained gave him/her a new spell l-e-v-e-l which means that she must have started at eighth level since a wizard gains levels at seventh and ninth. Therefore, the first time in the comic s/he leveled up s/he must have become ninth level and the secod time in the town s/he became tenth level.
    The entire party is tenth level. If you take into account that Haley gained sneak attack at the previous level-up, That would have made her at 9th level then, and therefore 10th level now.
    I shall make up for the lack of ingenuity in my foolish post with a concise and witty signature. Read thus so far? Too late for you!

I laugh.

Possibly the first player in 3.5 to take energy damage (radioactive). See here

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Callista
    Re. the poison: One container of poison is marked "Poison", the other "Even Nastier Poison". So at least one of them would have to do more than 1 damage a pop.
    Or have a higher DC on the saving throw. Or affect both Strength and Constitution while the first poison just affects Strength. Or...I'm sure there are other possibilities.
    We know some of their Alignments too...
    [...]
    Also, Elan's opposite, Nale, is LE. Zz'dtri was also evil, while Durkon's opposite, Hilgya, is the least evil of the Linear Guild. Bearing that in mind, I'd say...

Agree on Roy being LG, Haley being CG, Elan being CG, and Belkar being CE. Vaarsuvius I'd call LG, and Durkon I'd call LN.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd disagree with you on V's allignment and Durkon's allignment.

I think that D is more LG than anything else and V's occasional power-mad tendencies put him/her into NG