New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Elder Scrolls XV: This is my Thu'um Stick

I think they've admitted they learned the lessons of Fallout 4. And looking back, it's not quite as terrible as it first seemed, though they tipped far too far into 'shooter' territory.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    (Although it does worry me that they've figured out a way to make mods work on consoles. That could be the death of free mods.)

Morrowind is older than most schoolchildren and it is still played today because of the sheer modding potential. (It certainly doesn't hurt that it's a great game.) Bethesda making the "Creation Club" the sole source of mods would be the worst financial decision they could make.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Morrowind is older than most schoolchildren and it is still played today because of the sheer modding potential. (It certainly doesn't hurt that it's a great game.) Bethesda making the "Creation Club" the sole source of mods would be the worst financial decision they could make.
    But does Bethesda realize that?

4. - Top - End - #994
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    But does Bethesda realize that?
    Probably. The backlash the last time they tried something like that was extreme.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

I still maintain that the Creation Club is as an end run around Sony's fairly trash mod policies.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm not sure that's the case. People playing modded Morrowind mean they don't spend money on newer Bethsoft titles, after all.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Spamalot in the Playground

Bethesda making the "Creation Club" the sole source of mods would be the worst financial decision they could make.
    Knowing the modding community, I'm sure someone will find a way to break that so people can add their own free mods.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

8. - Top - End - #998
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Still pretty bare bones, and a work in progress (as of right now, Adrenaline Rush is just a name), but this is my Savage Worlds Adventure Edition conversion of TES.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I'm not sure that's the case. People playing modded Morrowind mean they don't spend money on newer Bethsoft titles, after all.
    That's news to me. I own Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

10. - Top - End - #1000

BlackDragon

OK, I should have said someone who is still playing a modded version of an old game is *less likely* to buy a new one--better?

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Titan in the Playground

The lack of true modding would be a death knell for Bethesda. Their goodwill is gone; burnt. People buy their games in large part because of the laissez faire attitude they have toward the modding scene.

It's also not a zero sum game anyway. I still play both Skyrim and Oblivion semi-regularly, along with both Fallout 3 and New Vegas (4 is too far gone for mods to save it, unfortunately). Just because a new one comes out doesn't necessarily mean people stop buying or playing new ones.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

Is it true that "Bretons" can emerge from man and mer couples directly? I know that the origins of Bretons as a people was elves and men intermingling over a long span of time, but I'm wondering if playing a Breton would be a good way to play the "half-elf" characters I'm fond of playing in other RPGs, and according to what I've read, Pelagius the Mad is a Breton because one of his parents was an Altmer or something. Is that true?
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ogre in the Playground

OK, I should have said someone who is still playing a modded version of an old game is *less likely* to buy a new one--better?
    Well, maybe that's true, but what is definitely true is that people abandon a 'dead' game much faster than they do one with constant support or additional content, whether that's official or otherwise. I spent 500 hours playing unmodded Skyrim (and another 200 on the PC), so I will likely never play the game again unless some really interesting mods come out for it. The same applies for Morrowind, which I still count in my top two favourite games of all time, yet even I won't play it un-modded (and haven't done since 2005).

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Still pretty bare bones, and a work in progress (as of right now, Adrenaline Rush is just a name), but this is my Savage Worlds Adventure Edition conversion of TES.
    Ooo, you put the Oblivion effects of silver in there! :D

I kind of missed that in Skyrim. On the one hand, it is convenient to be able to whack at everything with a vanilla sword and bow...but on the other, it makes everything very same-y.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Is it true that "Bretons" can emerge from man and mer couples directly? I know that the origins of Bretons as a people was elves and men intermingling over a long span of time, but I'm wondering if playing a Breton would be a good way to play the "half-elf" characters I'm fond of playing in other RPGs, and according to what I've read, Pelagius the Mad is a Breton because one of his parents was an Altmer or something. Is that true?
    From what I understand the answer is no. Normally a mixed race child is of the mother's race, with minor qualities coming from the father (i.e. hair or eye colour). Bretons are the result of generations of eugenics. And are also a distinct cultural group besides.

16. - Top - End - #1006

BlackDragon

Well, maybe that's true, but what is definitely true is that people abandon a 'dead' game much faster than they do one with constant support or additional content, whether that's official or otherwise. I spent 500 hours playing unmodded Skyrim (and another 200 on the PC), so I will likely never play the game again unless some really interesting mods come out for it.
    Again, though--why should Bethesda care about that? You already paid them for the game, it doesn't actually matter to them whether you get 500 or 10 hours of entertainment out of it--so long as you're entertained *enough* to likely buy their next game job's done as far as they're concerned.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Again, though--why should Bethesda care about that? You already paid them for the game, it doesn't actually matter to them whether you get 500 or 10 hours of entertainment out of it--so long as you're entertained *enough* to likely buy their next game job's done as far as they're concerned.
    Well, more importantly, anyone suggesting that 200+ hours of entertainment is a bad use of your $60.00 needs to seriously re-assess their entertainment budget.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    From what I understand the answer is no. Normally a mixed race child is of the mother's race, with minor qualities coming from the father (i.e. hair or eye colour).
    I hope this is Elder Scrolls or D&D specific, because in real life DNA does not do anything like that at all.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

It's Elder Scrolls lore specific.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    It's Elder Scrolls lore specific.
    Fine, fiction is fiction.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Well, more importantly, anyone suggesting that 200+ hours of entertainment is a bad use of your $60.00 needs to seriously re-assess their entertainment budget.
    It's almost as good as buying a football!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

I'm finding now that I'm actually dungeon-crawling and not just wandering around Stros M'Kai talking to people that Redguard's controls are...kind of awkward. I remapped most of the keys to WASD since that's what I'm used to, but the sword combat is getting to be a hassle, holding Alt to defend and the Use key to swing, and trying to strafe around with Shift...Would it be better if I reverted things to the original key scheme? Or should I just empty my purse for as many healing potions as I can carry, since I can't seem to attack anything without taking a hit myself?
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Ooo, you put the Oblivion effects of silver in there! :D

I kind of missed that in Skyrim. On the one hand, it is convenient to be able to whack at everything with a vanilla sword and bow...but on the other, it makes everything very same-y.
    In Oblivion, magic weapons also hit ghosts and the like. A level 0 enchanter can make any weapon in Skyrim magic, so there wouldn't have been a lot of point in copying the whole Oblivion "ghosts are immune to non-magical weapons unless they're silver" mechanic across. OTOH, there are ghosts as NPCs in Skyrim?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2019-10-15 at 10:32 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1014

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    In Oblivion, magic weapons also hit ghosts and the like. A level 0 enchanter can make any weapon in Skyrim magic, so there wouldn't have been a lot of point in copying the whole Oblivion "ghosts are immune to non-magical weapons unless they're silver" mechanic across. OTOH, there are ghosts as NPCs in Skyrim?
    There is the headless horseman.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You know, for as much as the nords hate magic, Skyrim is probably one of the most actively magic places on Tamriel, at least by the games. Ice wraiths, magical storms, ghosts and draugr and umpteen other naturally occurring magical creatures, dragons and their priests, things like the Eldergleam tree... Seems like as soon as you step outside your house, theres some magical thing sitting right there.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    You know, for as much as the nords hate magic, Skyrim is probably one of the most actively magic places on Tamriel, at least by the games. Ice wraiths, magical storms, ghosts and draugr and umpteen other naturally occurring magical creatures, dragons and their priests, things like the Eldergleam tree... Seems like as soon as you step outside your house, theres some magical thing sitting right there.
    Well yeah, familiarity breed contempt! If so much magical things are trying to kill you, wouldn't you hate magic as well?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Well yeah, familiarity breed contempt! If so much magical things are trying to kill you, wouldn't you hate magic as well?
    Gotta agree, here. There is very little in Skyrim, historically or recently, to enamor the province to magic. Nords are not preternaturally gifted with magic, so they don't start with a soft spot for the art, then add in the Dragon Cult, which seems to have been extremely oppressive in Skyrim, and the Eye of Magnus, which led to war between the proto-Nords and the Snow Elves, and the magical beasts that flock to the area... then cap it off with a magical accident that all but wiped a hold off the map and a despotic faction of magic-loving High Elves that feel justified in coming into their land and telling them who they can and can't worship. Yeah, it's not a surprise that Nords don't have much respect for the arcane.

They do respect the Voice, however, in either form it takes. Kynareth's version (the Greybeards) requires absurd meditation and contemplation to even learn one word in a few years such that even the simplest shouts is revered as a something sacred. Then you have Akatosh's (the dragonborn), which takes little time at all but every word is absolutely earned in mortal combat with the greatest predator in history. Either way, the Voice is well earned in the truest sense, and the Nords respect that - and take it very poorly if they feel it is misused.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Gotta agree, here. There is very little in Skyrim, historically or recently, to enamor the province to magic. Nords are not preternaturally gifted with magic, so they don't start with a soft spot for the art, then add in the Dragon Cult, which seems to have been extremely oppressive in Skyrim, and the Eye of Magnus, which led to war between the proto-Nords and the Snow Elves, and the magical beasts that flock to the area... then cap it off with a magical accident that all but wiped a hold off the map and a despotic faction of magic-loving High Elves that feel justified in coming into their land and telling them who they can and can't worship. Yeah, it's not a surprise that Nords don't have much respect for the arcane.

They do respect the Voice, however, in either form it takes. Kynareth's version (the Greybeards) requires absurd meditation and contemplation to even learn one word in a few years such that even the simplest shouts is revered as a something sacred. Then you have Akatosh's (the dragonborn), which takes little time at all but every word is absolutely earned in mortal combat with the greatest predator in history. Either way, the Voice is well earned in the truest sense, and the Nords respect that - and take it very poorly if they feel it is misused.
    If you talk to the ghosts in Sovngarde though, and Tsun, the Nords DID used to have a great respect for the magical arts, at least as much as they do the way of the warrior. The mistrust of magic is a relatively recent development, one lamented by the past generations of champions.

29. - Top - End - #1019

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    If you talk to the ghosts in Sovngarde though, and Tsun, the Nords DID used to have a great respect for the magical arts, at least as much as they do the way of the warrior. The mistrust of magic is a relatively recent development, one lamented by the past generations of champions.
    If I recall correctly, Redguards also distrust magic. One of the Mages Guild members in Oblivion, Trayvond, made a short speech about it.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    If I recall correctly, Redguards also distrust magic. One of the Mages Guild members in Oblivion, Trayvond, made a short speech about it.
    I don't believe they distrust magic so much as they distrust wizards. Show them somebody who can sword so well that it tears a rift in space-time and theyre cool with it, but somebody who does it directly with their brain instead is clearly too clever for their own good and shouldn't be trusted.