New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Medium Wildshaping

NPC antagonist with 6-7 levels of Druid.

So he's restricted to medium sized animals.

I've never played a 3.x druid, so I'm looking for good suggestions of things he can turn into when he attacks the PCs.

Perferably stuff on the SRD.
    The Historian: This DM has the history of his world written out millenniums back. It is intricate, complex, and most importantly, incredibly long. Moreover, everything your characters are doing is based on the previous history. It also tends to lead to loudmouth NPCS who will explain hundreds of years of history at a time while the players try to gouge their eardrums out with mechanical pencils.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Medium Wildshaping

Fleshrakers. If you don't have MM3, use the deinonychus. Fast, have pounce.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Here are three suggestions.

The boar is a durable form, with AC 16 and a 17 con. It has one gore attack for 1d8+3, which is okay.

A black bear will do more damage with a full attack, because it has two claw attacks for 1d4+4 and a secondary bite for 1d6+1. Its AC is only 13, though, and its con is 15, so your druid won't last quite as long.

Technically, dinosaurs are animals. If you can rationalize your druid being "familiar with" dinosaurs, then the most dangerous form you can take is almost certainly the Deinonychus. It's got a speed of 60, AC 17, and con 19. It has a primary talon attack 1d8+4, and three secondary attacks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

@my_evil_twin why is con so important if you keep the same HP?
    Arena Medals:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I agree with Tor's suggestions. If your DM gives you grief about having to be "familiar" with the animal, then use a spell to summon one so that you can get to know it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    I agree with Tor's suggestions. If your DM gives you grief about having to be "familiar" with the animal, then use a spell to summon one so that you can get to know it.
    Considering that it is for a "NPC antagonist" I think any grief from the DM would be a rather schizophrenic experience.
    All Yours Popcorn are belongs to me truly,
    LLS

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless you're playing in a "Savage Land" kind of setting, I think wildshaping into a dinosaur is pretty ridiculous. It's cheese just for the sake of cheese.

Dire Weasel is a nice one, for crazy dexterity, along with a fantastic ability set - attach and blood drain.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attach (Ex): A dire weasel that hits with its bite attack latches onto the opponent’s body with its powerful jaws. An attached dire weasel loses its Dexterity bonus to AC and thus has an AC of 12. An attached dire weasel can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself. To remove an attached dire weasel through grappling, the opponent must achieve a pin against the creature.
    Blood Drain (Ex): A dire weasel drains blood for 1d4 points of Constitution damage each round it remains attached.
    Homebrew World: Daera - high fantasy setting on a world without humans
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    If the world was a Hollywood movie, Overdrive would be the protagonist.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

It depends if you're going for a Grappler, charger, etc. There's an excellent section on a CharOp board titled "The Druid Handbook" I believe that goes through all the best forms for each individual purpose.

If you're just going for damage, I'd say Fleshraker or Swindlespitter Dinosaurs from MM3. If you're going Core, I'd go Leopard or Crocodile.