New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds

I've seen this samurai build mentioned several times, but haven't been able to find it so far. Was it never posted here or condensed somewhere? Or am I just blind lol.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SleepThief View Post
    I've seen this samurai build mentioned several times, but haven't been able to find it so far. Was it never posted here or condensed somewhere? Or am I just blind lol.
    You're not blind.

The problem is that real life has seen to it that my to-do list has grown very large, with much of it being higher priority than posting build guides here.

Now you might be thinking "But Ludic, I see you posting in other threads." That's true, but I can make those posts when I have nothing better to do but type on my phone. For a high quality guide post I want to be focused and at my PC... but if I'm focused and at my PC that means I have to get important things done. Basically you can think of it as me having two types of availability, and the kind I need to put up build guides has been booked solid for some time now.

But I'm making progress on that to-do list, so hopefully I'll be able to start posting build guides against soon.

But I guess tl;dr version of Samurai build would be Shadar-Kai Samurai 20, starting with Dex 17, then getting Sharpshooter, Elven Accuracy, and 20 Dex by level 8. Then just kinda grabbing whatever other nice feats you like after that (like Alert). Simple, straightforward DPR core for a party that scales unusually well with buffs or magic gear. Also well-rounded defenses (Shadar-Kai Resistance and Teleport, good at Con, Dex, and Wis saves, temp HP generation, etc).
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2020-04-29 at 09:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

3. - Top - End - #423
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    Now you might be thinking "But Ludic, I see you posting in other threads." That's true, but I can make those posts when I have nothing better to do but type on my phone. For a high quality guide post I want to be focused and at my PC... but if I'm focused and at my PC that means I have to get important things done. Basically you can think of it as me having two types of availability, and the kind I need to put up build guides has been booked solid for some time now.

But I'm making progress on that to-do list, so hopefully I'll be able to start posting build guides against soon.
    It's appreciated! And I'm not trying to rush you, everybody's going through wild bouts of either nothing to do or too much to do right now. I myself have little better to do than lookup builds I might play for inspiration.

Thank you for the summary!

4. - Top - End - #424
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

The Astral Pariah

Race: Protector Aasimar
    Class: Paladin 2/Moon Druid X
    Stats: 13,10,14,8,15+1,12+2

The build is pretty basic, turn into an animal that glows with galaxies in its fur and then proceed to to rip and tear through everything in your path with claws and searing starlight. the crux of this is that both divne smite and radiant soul work while wild shaped, and as a moon druid you'll have little need to use your spell slots for anything else

In other news, I'm toying around with a WIP build I call The Grave Digger. It starts off as a V. Human (prodigy: athletics) Druid whose whole goal is to grapple foes and then bury them. At level 1 this is done with mold earth but the idea was to start using Giant Badger form, the obvious issue is a giant badger has 13 str and 5e has no way to boost it. I've also considered a beastmaster ranger build but in that case the carrying capacity situation is even worse because it needs to haul you as well. any ideas on how to make this viable?
    Last edited by ftafp; 2020-05-02 at 09:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by ftafp View Post
    The Astral Pariah

The build is pretty basic, turn into an animal that glows with galaxies in its fur and then proceed to to rip and tear through everything in your path with claws and searing starlight. the crux of this is that both divne smite and radiant soul work while wild shaped, and as a moon druid you'll have little need to use your spell slots for anything else

In other news, I'm toying around with a WIP build I call The Grave Digger. It starts off as a V. Human (prodigy: athletics) Druid whose whole goal is to grapple foes and then bury them. At level 1 this is done with mold earth but the idea was to start using Giant Badger form, the obvious issue is a giant badger has 13 str and 5e has no way to boost it. I've also considered a beastmaster ranger build but in that case the carrying capacity situation is even worse because it needs to haul you as well. any ideas on how to make this viable?
    Cool idea, I like it!

I miss the pic you had originally.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ftafp View Post
    The Astral Pariah

You could dip Barbarian for rage giving advantage on STR checks. Combined with Expertise a 13 STR should be fine.

A bigger issue is the Giant Badger has ****-all HP and there's no good way to boost that for later levels, especially since as a Grappler you'll be taking lots of hits. Rage helps but not enough.

You have just given me an idea for a multiclass Druid 2/Cleric X build though. Idea is to set up Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon, then burrow and move around the field as required. Get Find Familiar through Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster at either level 1 (if V Human) or level 4 to see through its eyes for Spiritual Weapon attacks, and it can also take Help Actions.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    Cool idea, I like it!

I miss the pic you had originally.
    Thanks and same. but I've had this account for like 5 days. I don't want to do anything to get an infraction

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBent View Post
    You could dip Barbarian for rage giving advantage on STR checks. Combined with Expertise a 13 STR should be fine.

A bigger issue is the Giant Badger has ****-all HP and there's no good way to boost that for later levels, especially since as a Grappler you'll be taking lots of hits. Rage helps but not enough.

You have just given me an idea for a multiclass Druid 2/Cleric X build though. Idea is to set up Spirit Guardians and Spiritual Weapon, then burrow and move around the field as required. Get Find Familiar through Magic Initiate or Ritual Caster at either level 1 (if V Human) or level 4 to see through its eyes for Spiritual Weapon attacks, and it can also take Help Actions.
    A Moon Druid 10/Abjurer 10 might be able to squeak by with arcane ward and temp hp. Alternatively, if you're willing to abandon moon druid (and earth elemental along with it), shepherd druid grants the bear spirit which gives you and your allies temp HP and str advantage. honestly though, these are all pretty terrible options. It's a shame there are so few ways to get a burrow speed. Perhaps a shepherd druid would just be better off summoning giant badgers and earth elementals to do the work for him

8. - Top - End - #428
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Putting forth a simple gimmick build.

Battle Smith Artificer 6/Scout Rogue 3, and if continuing, honestly Artificer the rest of the way to 20.

Battle Smith, repeating shot infused heavy crossbow, Variant Human (for Sharpshooter). Rogue 3 just for an additional 2d6 one at least one crossbow shot every turn because your Steel Defender can trigger sneak attack. ...honestly, that's it, I don't know if I even really can say anything else, since it's just Artificer 6 for better infusions other than Repeating Shot, Scout Rogue 3 for general utility, maybe Thief instead so you can more easily swap to melee SHOULD it be necessary.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by BarneyBent View Post
    Damn are you just trying to have your DM wring your neck lol, that is extremely evil burrowed spirit guardians ugh.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Can I put in a request for a Transmutation Wizard build? Preferably pure Transmutation? I've been trying and trying to figure out how to make a Simic Scientist Background Simic, with all the cool buff and transmutation spells I could, but even starting at level 3, I can't come up with spells that would be useful in combat and random utility, rather than just... going ALL transmutation cause most if not all of the buff spells are concentration and I just don't know what to do.

Yes I could eventually spend the time copying the extra spells into my spellbook, and that's what I would be doing with the spells not explicitly useful enough to take via level up. But I still don't know beyond that.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Templar of Time

Echo Knight 3 / Hexblade 17

This is a twist on the classic Hexblade 17/ Fighter 3 multiclass utilizing the new Echo Knight subclass from Wildmount. As always, adding action surge to a hexblade gives great nova potential, but it's even better with the Echo knight's extra attack and the ability to do it from 30' away. Then I picked spells to give it a theme because I think that's always more fun. And the nova is spectacular. I recently did 277HP of damage in one round to an AC 22 opponent.

He was one of the best slave soldiers in Mulhorand. Anhur, the great god of war, looked upon him favorably and made him a Templar of Time. Even though he was a slave, he was respected and had a good life, leading armies for his priest-king. When slavery was abolished recently, he was offered a great sum of money by his former owner to stay and continue to fight, but he declined, thanked his former master, and left his homeland to explore the world. Since then, he has been wandering the world, looking for his own adventure on his own terms.

Half-elf starting stats of 8,13,15,10,10,15 become 8,14,16,10,10,17

First take 3 levels of echo knight for Manifest Echo and Unleash Incarnation
    At level 5 (Warlock 2), you use eldritch blast with agonizing blast or a greatsword.
    At level 8, (Warlock 5), thirsting blade gives you second attack

Like many multiclass builds, this build is a little behind from levels 5-7. But unleash incarnation and action surge let you keep up somewhat and at level 8, thirsting blade gets you your second attack. It might level better as Fighter 1, Warlock 5, Fighter 3, Warlock X, but I like the flavor of getting Echo knight earlier.

Feats/ASIs at warlock level (you can take these in any order you want)
    4. Elven Accuracy
    8. GWM
    12. +2 Cha
    16. Sentinel

Invocations
    Agonizing Blast
    Thirsting Blade
    Eldritch Smite
    One with the Shadows -> Shroud of Shadow
    Whispers of the Grave
    Lifedrinker
    Visions of Distant Realms

Spells
    Reflavor spells and invocations as manipulating time. Have your character summon versions of himself, allies and former enemies from alternate doomed timelines to help him in battle (Manifest Echo, Accursed Specter, Summon Greater Demon). He can see brief glimpses of the future (Arcane Eye, Scrying, and Foresight), can stop time to rearrange a battlefield (Fly, Scatter), or just stop time for others (Hold Person/Monster, Hypnotic Pattern, Feeblemind), and can send others to alternate timelines (Banishment, Banishing Smite) or talk to their past selves (Speak with Dead). He can also disappear from this timeline (Invisibility, Shadow of Moil and Etherealness), and sometimes change the past (Counterspell, Dispel Magic, Remove Curse).

Final Build
    At level 20, you can nova for 5 attacks (thirsting blade, action surge 1/SR, and unleash incarnation 3/LR) all with elven accuracy, lifedrinker and great weapon master and all from your echo while you are 30’ away. Add banishing smite and an eldritch smite on if needed. As I said before, I recently did 277HP of damage in one round to an AC 22 opponent.

Use foresight or shadow of moil to get advantage which turns into triple advantage. Earlier you could use darkness/devil’s sight for the advantage.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2021-01-27 at 06:46 AM.

12. - Top - End - #432

If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

13. - Top - End - #433
    Pixie in the Playground

Just wanted to say a massive thanks Ludic, I appreciate all the work you put into everything you do.

14. - Top - End - #434

More updates:

The Grease Trap by Citadel97501
    Celestial Dragonforge Cleric, Master of the Searing Smite, by AgenderAcree
    Zealot of Death, by Benny89
    The Caster's Bane, by Alucard89
    Plague Stalker, by Alucard89
    The Astral Paraih, by ftafp
    The Templar of Time, by Bobthewizard

If I have missed any builds that need to be added to the first page, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntlord View Post
    Just wanted to say a massive thanks Ludic, I appreciate all the work you put into everything you do.
    <3

15. - Top - End - #435

Griffon

I had two things. :)
    1) Great job on that Templar of Time that looks like a lot of fun to play.

2) Has anyone worked out a multi-class Rogue: Assassin taking advantage of their ridiculous auto-crit function? This seems like its asking for some multi-attack or bonus damage optimization but I personally have trouble working it into a build due to RP unless you use something like a Paladin of Conquest for the evil bent and the smiting, although I think this could work well with a Hexblade Blade-lock using Eldritch Smite as well.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel97501 View Post

2) Has anyone worked out a multi-class Rogue: Assassin taking advantage of their ridiculous auto-crit function? This seems like its asking for some multi-attack or bonus damage optimization but I personally have trouble working it into a build due to RP unless you use something like a Paladin of Conquest for the evil bent and the smiting, although I think this could work well with a Hexblade Blade-lock using Eldritch Smite as well.
    1. Thanks. The Templar of Time has been fun so far but we just started a level 20 campaign.

2. Gloomstalker 5 / Assassin X with the alert feat is a pretty popular multi class on here, especially if you can use the revised ranger. I'd go ranged with crossbow expert and sharpshooter, maybe elven accuracy if you start at higher levels with good stats.

You could also also go Battlemaster 5/ Gloomstalker 3/ Assassin 3 / Fighter to 11 / Assassin to 6 for a third attack. I'd only do this for a high level start.

17. - Top - End - #437

ElfRangerGuy

I think the standard built for that is something like:
    Gloom stalker 4-5 (for level 2 spells)
    Assassin 3-5 (if you would rather umcanny dodge)
    Battlemaster/Samurai 11-12
    Hexblade 1 (you just want the curse and shield basically - Hex can also free a slot)

Personally, I find assassin too situational and would rather pick scout, more gloomstalker for the saves or more hexblade to be able to shoot dragons out of the sky. YMMV
    I might attack your points aggressively: nothing personal. If I call out a fallacy in your argumentation, it doesn't mean I think you are arguing in bad faith. I invite you to call out if I somehow fail to live by the Twelve Virtues of Rationality.

My favourite D&D session had 3 dice rolls. I'm currently curious to any system that has a higher amount of choices in and out of combat than 5e from the beginning of the game; especially for non-spellcasters. Please PM any recommendations.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skylivedk View Post
    I think the standard built for that is something like:
    Gloom stalker 4-5 (for level 2 spells)
    Assassin 3-5 (if you would rather umcanny dodge)
    Battlemaster/Samurai 11-12
    Hexblade 1 (you just want the curse and shield basically - Hex can also free a slot)

Personally, I find assassin too situational and would rather pick scout, more gloomstalker for the saves or more hexblade to be able to shoot dragons out of the sky. YMMV
    These are all valid points and opinions. Here's why I recommended what I did.

On the 3 class build, I would make sure to get extra attack at level 5. Otherwise you're behind the other characters until you get it. I also wouldn't double up extra attack which is why I went fighter first.

I agree with you on the rogue subclass and usually like scout better, but they specifically asked about assassin. You can make a great sniper with a Drow gloomstalker/ assassin with goggles of the night. (210' of darkvision and invisible to others' darkvision)

You'd need good rolled stats to add Hexblade. With point buy, I think you'd be better dumping Cha in order to put more into Dex, Wis, and Con. Just getting Cha to 13 I think would hurt.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I'm a newcomer around these parts, and while I've seen a couple of these builds mentioned in passing in other parts of the internet stumbling across this huge thread is like an early Christmas gift.

I do have a question about the Nuclear Wizard though. Would swapping in three or four levels of Sorcerer by docking three or four levels of Wizard cripple this build in any way? You would have to sacrifice either an ASI or Overchannel, but then you'd have access to some metamagic to improve your nova damage (Empowered Spell would trend the average higher, especially if you're only rolling 1d4 for the whole spell rather than xd4 for each missile). As far as I understand the multiclassing spell progression table, you'd still have the same number of spells available to you since a sorcerer is also a full caster.
    Last edited by Xoronis; 2020-05-21 at 12:25 PM.

20. - Top - End - #440

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    These are all valid points and opinions. Here's why I recommended what I did.

On the 3 class build, I would make sure to get extra attack at level 5. Otherwise you're behind the other characters until you get it. I also wouldn't double up extra attack which is why I went fighter first.

I agree with you on the rogue subclass and usually like scout better, but they specifically asked about assassin. You can make a great sniper with a Drow gloomstalker/ assassin with goggles of the night. (210' of darkvision and invisible to others' darkvision)

You'd need good rolled stats to add Hexblade. With point buy, I think you'd be better dumping Cha in order to put more into Dex, Wis, and Con. Just getting Cha to 13 I think would hurt.
    Not really.
    With wood elf, you can start with:
    9 str
    17 dex (bumps to 18 with elven accuracy)
    14 con
    8 int
    14 wis
    13 cha

You can also drop 1 wis if you know you get Res: Wis (so don't go 7 gloom). That nets you one more strength (mostly for carrying capacity and saves, some jumps).

Alternatively, 12 gloom, 5 Hexblade, 3 assassin. Assassin is hard to get to proc, so I highly recommend ranged. I had a pretty easy time getting the surprise effect when I played. With pass without trace and sharpshooter, you can lay down the hurt!

Short on time, so the calculations pre-accuracy:

With guaranteed crits, your smites will hit for 8d8 (so Hexblade adds 16d8 (72)+18 damage in your opening round, if you tagged the target first).

Even without tagging, that's 40% more than your attacks that the 3 attacks on their own are 51=6d8 (27, the longbow) + 2d8 (9, the force damage) + 15 (Dex), I think it's a fair investment. With -10/+5, your base attacks are 1 short of your Eldritch Smite damage, and we haven't added neither crit range, the +3 from improved pact weapon (also accuracy!) not the Hexblade's Curse damage (18 mentioned above).

Quote Originally Posted by Xoronis View Post
    I'm a newcomer around these parts, and while I've seen a couple of these builds mentioned in passing in other parts of the internet stumbling across this huge thread is like an early Christmas gift.

I do have a question about the Nuclear Wizard though. Would swapping in three or four levels of Sorcerer by docking three or four levels of Wizard cripple this build in any way? You would have to sacrifice either an ASI or Overchannel, but then you'd have access to some metamagic to improve your nova damage (Empowered Spell would trend the average higher, especially if you're only rolling 1d4 for the whole spell rather than xd4 for each missile). As far as I understand the multiclassing spell progression table, you'd still have the same number of spells available to you since a sorcerer is also a full caster.
    I think you lose the Hallow trick that is 2x your damage... And in terms of playability, level 9 slots are pretty damn useful. Try going through Ludic's blast scenario and check the spells/abilities used
    I might attack your points aggressively: nothing personal. If I call out a fallacy in your argumentation, it doesn't mean I think you are arguing in bad faith. I invite you to call out if I somehow fail to live by the Twelve Virtues of Rationality.

My favourite D&D session had 3 dice rolls. I'm currently curious to any system that has a higher amount of choices in and out of combat than 5e from the beginning of the game; especially for non-spellcasters. Please PM any recommendations.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I think you lose the Hallow trick that is 2x your damage... And in terms of playability, level 9 slots are pretty damn useful. Try going through Ludic's blast scenario and check the spells/abilities used
    Don't you still have level 9 spell slots with that multiclass? Or am I misunderstanding something about how multiclassing works?

I did just realize you would lose the Hallow trick, since even though you would have level 9 slots for upcasting you wouldn't know any level 9 spells, so you don't have access to wish
    Last edited by Xoronis; 2020-05-21 at 01:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Short on time, so the calculations pre-accuracy:

With guaranteed crits, your smites will hit for 8d8 (so Hexblade adds 16d8 (72)+18 damage in your opening round, if you tagged the target first).
    Nitpick: Eldritch smite has a limitation of once per turn, so it'd only be 8d8 extra damage (assuming crit and 5 levels of hexblade) in the opening round.
    Last edited by Corran; 2020-05-21 at 01:56 PM.
    Hacks!

23. - Top - End - #443

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Nitpick: Eldritch smite has a limitation of once per turn, so it'd only be 8d8 extra damage (assuming crit and 5 levels of hexblade) in the opening round.
    True. Silly me. Thanks! I'd still probably recommend it for optimization, but that's mostly because Assassin has pretty bad features later on and both Eldritch Smite, Devil's Sight and Improved Pact weapon can add a lot (and so can the spell slots).

It does make taking other classes/more assassin levels more attractive though... Ie Assassin to 5, Hexblade 3
    or
    Hexblade 1 + Battle Master 4 for that sweet sweet opening round of 6 attacks while still having ASIs (EA, Sharpshooter, +2 Dex, XBe)

If I expect a lot of dragons Hexblade 5 is still solid. For everything else, probably the Battle Master option with XBE, Devil's Sight and Mask of Many faces of some other utility. Shield is still a great pickup and Hex>Hunter's Mark because of the utility of disadvantage imposed on skill checks with no save
    Last edited by Skylivedk; 2020-05-21 at 02:17 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444

Quote Originally Posted by Xoronis View Post
    Happy Holidays!

I wouldn't recommend it. If you take it early, you're delaying access to higher level spells known, which is a big deal. If you take it late, you're only getting your metamagic at 20 and the opportunity cost is Action Surge and the ability to learn 9th level spells (even if you still have a 9th level slot). That's steep.

So yeah, I'd say it would cripple the build to switch out for Sorcerer levels.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2020-05-21 at 05:04 PM.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

@Skylivedk: Open the spoiler at your own risk!
    Spoiler: Rambling wildly
    Show
    True. Silly me. Thanks! I'd still probably recommend it for optimization, but that's mostly because Assassin has pretty bad features later on and both Eldritch Smite, Devil's Sight and Improved Pact weapon can add a lot (and so can the spell slots).
    We could still use the second slot with something like hunter's mark, hex or a smite spell as necessary for some extra damage. Agreed about the assassin's lvl 9 & 13 features being underwhelming.
    Spoiler: More rambling
    Show
    There was an old thread (which I cannot find) that talked about how underappreciated these features are, and there were a few posts that had made me realize that at the hands of some very creative and quick thinking players, these features would be more than enough for the character to have a solid impact. But in the end I agree with you here. Magic makes everything a lot easier and some of the assassin's features almost entirely redundant. Which is a funny thought, cause I can certainly see an argument that the best assassin out there is a wizard with this or that spell selection. While the rogue chassis is nothing to scoff at, I think assassin multiclasses early well enough if you can satisfy the following two conditions:
    1) Make sure that cunning action is worth delaying your main class progression by two levels. In essence, you are a ranged (maybe even caster) build with poor or expensive escape options at the minimum (but ideally you also want to somehow build a little more on everything that cunning action offers you, otherwise every non-tank build would dip rogue for it).
    2) Make sure that you've got a good amount of dice to double when you'll get surprise (assuming you have improved your chances of surprising enemies; and this is one key element to every such multiclassing, ie make sure to grab tools that will make getting surprise more reliable. While at the same time trying to not turn your build into a one trick pony).

I could perhaps add a third point about making sure that you use your (expertise) skills to the maximum, but most people already think very highly of expertise anyway.

It does make taking other classes/more assassin levels more attractive though... Ie Assassin to 5, Hexblade 3
    or
    Hexblade 1 + Battle Master 4 for that sweet sweet opening round of 6 attacks while still having ASIs (EA, Sharpshooter, +2 Dex, XBe)
    I'd probably avoid adding both hexblade and rogue on a build where the main class would be a gloom stalker ranger. They both bring in the extra mobility that an archer (non-revised) ranger would need through cunning action and short rest misty steps, so I would not really want to double down on it (triple down on it if fighting in the dark). Though this is probably not a fair answer, since you are working under the assumption that assassin has to be included and you are focusing on optimizing the first round damage.
    Spoiler: More rambling
    Show
    In fact, without doing the math, I am thinking that assassin is a bit unnecessary on a gloom stalker, given that the bulk of the damage comes from combining advantage and shrapshooter with many attacks. Straying from your main class to increase the damage you are at the same time risking bcause of the -5/+10 is a little counterproductive. That said, I'd love to run a gloomstalker17/assasin3 at level 20 some time, cause steel wind strike and assassinate sounds pretty exciting (and possibly effective if you are basically looking for an AoE of sorts instad of focusing down some enemy). I'd value the rogue dip more on a melee non-revised ranger, but I think I prefer the dip in fighter though mainly for action surge (which is useful on someone with decent spells and a strong attack anyway, but the extra synergy with our first round tricks seals it for me; essentially making the gloom stalker an assassin that does not have to depend on all the extra restrictions of assassinate and without running the risk of making a gimmicky build.

If I expect a lot of dragons Hexblade 5 is still solid. For everything else, probably the Battle Master option with XBE, Devil's Sight and Mask of Many faces of some other utility. Shield is still a great pickup and Hex>Hunter's Mark because of the utility of disadvantage imposed on skill checks with no save
    For a gloom stalker 12/ hexblade 5/ assassin 3?
    Agreed about ES and flying opponents. I like that we are gaining invisibility through hexblade and that with conjure animals we could put our 3rd level slots to good use (though we are lacking action surge, which I'd want). It sure has better first round nova than other builds, but I am still seeing overlap which I would rather avoid, even at the cost of reducing my first round nova a bit. Devil's sight will be far less needed for a gloomstalker, and while I appreciate the range of a longbow, I think that crossbow expert (along with sharpshooter) is a good feat for gloomstalkers (cause they can easily have advantage against almost everything but some fiends while in the dark). Mask of many faces is great but lacking in charisma will hurt us here (expertise helps, but still). Shield would be ok I guess, since being unseen can allow us to tank a bit every now and then if needed). While there are things a gloomstaler range gets (eg pass without a trace) or wants (eg alert) that are also things an assassin would want, I do think that they don't multiclass all that great (less need for cunning action than other ranged builds, most of the damage comes from flat bonuses) unless we find another source of dice damage (ie the haxblade dip in your case), and at this point we are talking about a build with 3 classes and with a brave investment in each one of these classes. And my 5e experience with multiclassed characters made me wary of such combinations. Personally, I'd just try to use a rogue dip on top of another class which I would intend to advance all the way up to level 17. Assassinate would not punch as much as if I was multiclassing further, but the overall build would be stronger as a whole (cause you are basically a single class character lagging only 3 levels behind) as it would not revolve around just 1 round of combat. And the trick would be how to make the most out of cunning action and how to boost assassinate without overcommitting.

==================================

+1

I made this, which might interest you. Warning, it's a long post. I think it has passed enough time so posting on it would be thread necromancy (so if that's the case, don't post on it). I'll eventually add it here (I have a post reserved), at least when I am not lazy enough to write a small summary highlighting the key points of the build. I was debating myself whether to go with a main whispers bard build instead of hexblade (or even add some bard levels in there), but I ended up rejecting the idea cause I couldn't find a good enough way to do it. But I am mentioning it cause someone else might be able to come up with something that combines assassin and whispers bard effectively.
    ps: On a second quick look and after some time has passed since making it, there are a few things that I'd change at first glance (eg lower CON to 13 and bring up INT up to 12, and mess around with the skills a bit, probably ending up replacing acrobatics with athletics and including investigation probably at the cost of arcana -cause I'd rule that studying someone's behavior and mannerisms falls under intelligence, but I digress).
    Last edited by Corran; 2020-05-21 at 10:00 PM.
    Hacks!

26. - Top - End - #446

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    @Skylivedk: Open the spoiler at your own risk!
    SNIP

For a gloom stalker 12/ hexblade 5/ assassin 3?
    Agreed about ES and flying opponents. I like that we are gaining invisibility through hexblade and that with conjure animals we could put our 3rd level slots to good use (though we are lacking action surge, which I'd want). It sure has better first round nova than other builds, but I am still seeing overlap which I would rather avoid, even at the cost of reducing my first round nova a bit. Devil's sight will be far less needed for a gloomstalker, and while I appreciate the range of a longbow, I think that crossbow expert (along with sharpshooter) is a good feat for gloomstalkers (cause they can easily have advantage against almost everything but some fiends while in the dark). Mask of many faces is great but lacking in charisma will hurt us here (expertise helps, but still). Shield would be ok I guess, since being unseen can allow us to tank a bit every now and then if needed). While there are things a gloomstaler range gets (eg pass without a trace) or wants (eg alert) that are also things an assassin would want, I do think that they don't multiclass all that great (less need for cunning action than other ranged builds, most of the damage comes from flat bonuses) unless we find another source of dice damage (ie the haxblade dip in your case), and at this point we are talking about a build with 3 classes and with a brave investment in each one of these classes. And my 5e experience with multiclassed characters made me wary of such combinations. Personally, I'd just try to use a rogue dip on top of another class which I would intend to advance all the way up to level 17. Assassinate would not punch as much as if I was multiclassing further, but the overall build would be stronger as a whole (cause you are basically a single class character lagging only 3 levels behind) as it would not revolve around just 1 round of combat. And the trick would be how to make the most out of cunning action and how to boost assassinate without overcommitting.[/SPOILER]

==================================

SNIP

I was debating myself whether to go with a main whispers bard build instead of hexblade (or even add some bard levels in there), but I ended up rejecting the idea cause I couldn't find a good enough way to do it. But I am mentioning it cause someone else might be able to come up with something that combines assassin and whispers bard effectively.
    ps: On a second quick look and after some time has passed since making it, there are a few things that I'd change at first glance (eg lower CON to 13 and bring up INT up to 12, and mess around with the skills a bit, probably ending up replacing acrobatics with athletics and including investigation probably at the cost of arcana -cause I'd rule that studying someone's behavior and mannerisms falls under intelligence, but I digress).
    Thank you for the thorough answer. I don't fear the overlaps too much. In many of the cases (i.e. Devil's Sight) you can either choose to ignore it or the abilities stack more than they overlap.

I do think you are undervaluing Hide and Disengage/Dash a bit. Of course, if you think XBE only that makes sense since the Bonus Action is very very cluttered (Curse, Hex/HM, XBE Shot, Rogue BA, Misty Step). My own experience with the Assassin was at release, pre-gloomstalker and Dip-Blade. I used longbow. When I in early tier 2 tracked a corrupt official as he was in the town market (applied Hunter's Mark) and took up a position on a nearby (450 feet away) roof to deal more than 125 damage (can't remember if that was with or without the poison), the DM was stunned.

Bonus Action:Hide was key for the plan (while in execution, winning Initiative was enough). It took less than 10 seconds, the quarry never had a reaction. Apparently a very powerful wizard. Pass without Trace and disguise and my sniper disappeared without a problem.

Assassin is definitely a lot more fun if you have a campaign where you can study the quarry and set up your attacks.

Also, I love wonky multi-classes. A lot of people seem to give points to single-classes or "clean" builds. I love the quirky and at a glance unplayable builds that somehow work (not that the Fighter/Gloomstalker belongs there; it is straight power).

And I know how it is to not wrap up a build to post in this thread. I have many builds half-done. They usually have some fun interaction with a couple of abilities, competition for action economy (I like having buttons, many buttons!, in combat), quite a lot of creativity-dependent utility and some combos that are insanely strong for when a wild Ancient Red Dragon appears.

... I just never dedicate the time to doing all the sweet write-ups of the DPR and play-by-play. I have a lot of respect for those who do. My SkyNet post took FOREVER (also because I iz idjit and wrote some of it on phone), and I'm not sure the joy I create for others is worth the extra time it takes for me.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Pixie in the Playground

Question; If a Bard using the Magical Inspiration ability from the Unearthed Arcana Class Variants were to help the Nuclear Wizard, that inspiration dice modifier to damage would effect every magic missile, correct?

28. - Top - End - #448

Quote Originally Posted by wjpennington View Post
    Question; If a Bard using the Magical Inspiration ability from the Unearthed Arcana Class Variants were to help the Nuclear Wizard, that inspiration dice modifier to damage would effect every magic missile, correct?
    Looks like it. UA is scary.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I've posted this elsewhere before but I'm still looking for ways to perfect this build

A Mark of Hospitality Halfling Life Cleric 1 / Artificer 11 can create a spell storing item of Goodberry that heals up to 400 hp. If you go artillerist or take the boros background you can instead create a spell storing item of scorching ray that can be cast 10 times in a single round by tiny servants. If you go alchemist and dip 3 levels into tomelock, you can get aspect of the moon and brew 18 potions a night in lieu of sleep.

If you refluff the goodberries as dishes featuring goodberries, refluff the potions as, healing snacks, refluff the tiny servants sharing a spell-storing item of scorching ray as animated slices of birthday cake sharing a birthday candle of doom you've got 15 / 20 ingredients ready for the ultimate iron chef build.

Well that or you could build a chronomancer and refluff the time-delayed spell bead as a buff pastry (or as I like to call it, a HASTEry)

30. - Top - End - #450
    Pixie in the Playground

I really want to create a minotaur character, using Ravnica minotaurs, and wondering how you would go about it? At this stage, he's still kinda murky. I have had heaps of ideas, but many of them just don't seem to work well together. I originally thought of a monk-barbarian, but that doesn't seem to work. There is fighter-barbarian, paladin-barbarian, something with bards. Nothing really seems to have a lot of synergy though. The campaign will be starting at level 6 and progress to around level 12, so it needs to be something that is designed to come online at an early level. I find the usual vhuman with sentinel, GWM and PAM gets a little tiresome.

The main things are I'd like to capitalise on their high strength and their racial abilities to push things around. The character will be a tank, but he's someone who ideally takes the pressure off other characters, so ways to draw attention to him, or protect other PCs by being near them would be ideal.

My current thinking is barbarian ancestral guardian, fighter battlemaster. That kinda feels a little boring, but useful.

I am also starting to think of making him mounted, so maybe paladin-barbarian ancestral guardian would work well.

My original inspiration was a bit like Teal'C (I'm not sure if you ever saw Stargate SG1), so strong, endurable and spiritual (so str, con, wis), but that's open to change. I'd rather not just put everything in my physical atts and have the mental ones low. The attribute values we have to work on are 16, 15, 14, 12, 10, 8 before modifiers.

I'd love to see what you can do with both a mounted and non-mounted character!

Thanks a lot. :)

Poe/Milan