New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: DnD Head Canons

1. - Top - End - #721
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: DnD Head Canons

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Yes, a thousand times yes! Kind of like football fans …
    Almost like another franchise in space has football hooligan orks...

Git em boyz! Deff to da humies! Krump em roight good! Kick em roight in da teef!

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Almost like another franchise in space has football hooligan orks...

Git em boyz! Deff to da humies! Krump em roight good! Kick em roight in da teef!
    I am not a WH40K player, so I'll just guess at that reference and recall that GW originated in the UK.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #723
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I am not a WH40K player, so I'll just guess at that reference and recall that GW originated in the UK.
    Very much WH40K. Orks were always a straight up parody of the football hooligans.

I need ta fin' da boyz and give sum humie a good krumpin!

4. - Top - End - #724
    Pixie in the Playground

Lawful Good deities are just as willing and able to find and abuse major exploits in rules systems, even ones they crafted themselves, as any Lawful Evil creature. As such, at least some of them likely can and do have ways of influencing the nine hells and its denizens directly in subtle ways.

For example, a relatively junior devil or collective thereof finally gathers the resources to become a warlock patron. They choose an adventurer, and said adventurer joins a party with a cleric whose deity is actively paying attention to that cleric at the time. This deity is one of the savier lawful good types in the pantheon (maybe one of the important figures, maybe a comparatively recent and minor godling who nonetheless was taught or intuitively knew a great deal about what they could and could not get away with).

Said deity somehow has a comprehensive knowledge of the infernal bureaucracy, enough to quietly send a request to negotiate directly with the warlock's patron(s) to whoever could, and also would, approve it and do so quickly and secretly, maybe in exchange for some minor concession or drawing on a precedent already established by someone further up the chain, or a favour owed. They might do this under an alias of some kind, possibly posing as or working through a fictional or complicit devil to avoid undue attention from both sides.

They get permission, and in short order contact the warlock patron, and spin a totally true justification that convinces the devil to make a 'non-aggression' contract or whatever, ostensibly to protect the cleric, but does so in perfect (infernal) legalese such that the devil is both genuinely impressed, and suddenly privy to 'secret information' about the gods and their dealings, which might suggest to it for any number of reasons a course of action it had never considered before, without realising the god was actively working towards some longstanding plan or purpose designed to favour Law as a whole or long-term overall Good, a plan conceived long before that devil was even an imp.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Firbolg in the Playground

Despite being ostensibly concerned specifically with arcane secrets and forbidden knowledge, the cult of Vecna's money and influence comes more from trading in day-to-day secrets and blackmail
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

6. - Top - End - #726
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Kobolds do not "have scales like reptiles", but rather "have horrible skin conditions". They're MANGY in the truest sense of the word. Kobolds with access to skin care or Cure Disease? They look like little dog-people.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Kobolds do not "have scales like reptiles", but rather "have horrible skin conditions". They're MANGY in the truest sense of the word. Kobolds with access to skin care or Cure Disease? They look like little dog-people.
    I'm considering moving Kobolds to be seen in-universe as a descriptor for "those tiny, thieving, violent things that aren't goblins or our local murderous amphibians". Some kobolds are dog people, some are tiny dragon/lizard folk. Others are more like bipedal rats and then some are based on those early mammal-reptile ancestors I can't remember the name of (which I might have read the idea for in this thread).
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

8. - Top - End - #728

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I'm considering moving Kobolds to be seen in-universe as a descriptor for "those tiny, thieving, violent things that aren't goblins or our local murderous amphibians". Some kobolds are dog people, some are tiny dragon/lizard folk. Others are more like bipedal rats and then some are based on those early mammal-reptile ancestors I can't remember the name of (which I might have read the idea for in this thread).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synapsid
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Yeah that's the one. I don't remember where I saw the art of Synapsid kobolds, but now I have too many options for different kobolds to not use them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedMage125 View Post
    Pretty sure that's actually canon...
    Sorry for the late reply. Yes and no, because the debate on whether Good and Evil are cosmic or karmic forces changes from game to game.

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    Goblins, kobolds, faeries, pixies and brownies are actually just exchangable descriptions for the average D&D commoner to describe "tiny ugly humanoids" that robbed us, killed some of our livestock and are generally ugly to be around. When described that a group of goblins has raided a nearby farm, make sure to get a proper description, else your group might be caught in a weird game of fey origin as said goblins are suddenly brownies and other fey instead of the expected low level mooks.

Remember, the farmer has half a dozen hearty children, a wife and a toolshed full of make-shift weapons. He could fend of something as poorly coordinated as a goblin raid. Fey however? Their grandma has told them not to screw with fey.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Barbarian in the Playground

For me, thieves don’t have beards but all assassins do.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by elros View Post
    What? Why?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #733

I think he means specifically that they have goatees
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

14. - Top - End - #734
    Orc in the Playground

This calls for more explanation. This is the first time I have heard of a class having facial hair restrictions.

Also, how do female assassins meet this requirement?
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Assassins have beards because taking beards off of bodies is a way to prove you did a job. Beards have terrible resale value anywhere else and that's why thieves don't take them.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

16. - Top - End - #736

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    What? Why?
    I know it is silly, but it started because halflings and elves had dexterity bonuses, and neither race is known for having facial hair. And no self respecting dwarf would be a thief, so only a beardless dwarf would be one.
    And the idea of an assassin having a beard grew out of the Star Trek joke that evil counterparts had facial hair.
    This was actually a running joke in one of our campaigns. And yes, we were dorks.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

And the idea of an assassin having a beard grew out of the Star Trek joke that evil counterparts had facial hair.
    LOL, you mean this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I think he means specifically that they have goatees
    was correct?
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

It was only the evil Spock who had facial hair. Everyone else's mirror counterparts were identical to the normal universe version. Well, I think Sulu had a big scar on his face. Should all assassins have big scar on their face?
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2022-03-10 at 10:13 AM.

19. - Top - End - #739

It was only the evil Spock who had facial hair. Everyone else's mirror counterparts were identical to the normal universe version. Well, I think Sulu had a big scar on his face. Should all assassins have big scar on their face?
    You have to remember in the 1980s there was no streaming or internet, so we had to rely on our memories of the Star Trek episodes. Details like goatees and others were glossed over for the sake of levity.
    It’s the same reason why we quoted Monty Python- it was near impossible to watch, so our quotes were how we shared the experience. I am sure we made mistakes about of the exact dialogue, but we were close enough to be entertained.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

You have to remember in the 1980s there was no streaming or internet, so we had to rely on our memories of the Star Trek episodes. Details like goatees and others were glossed over for the sake of levity.
    It’s the same reason why we quoted Monty Python- it was near impossible to watch, so our quotes were how we shared the experience. I am sure we made mistakes about of the exact dialogue, but we were close enough to be entertained.
    In the 80s, you could easily find some TV channel playing reruns of Star Trek in syndication. That's how I watched it as a kid.

21. - Top - End - #741

In the 80s, you could easily find some TV channel playing reruns of Star Trek in syndication. That's how I watched it as a kid.
    You are 100% right, and Star Trek was shown consistently on one of my local TV channels since 1969, so a lot of people knew about Star Trek. The problem, however, was that there was no "on demand", so we had to watch whatever episode was showing at whatever time slot the station wanted, which was usually midnight. There were some die-hard Star Trek fans who knew a lot about the show, but I was not that into it, so there were a lot of episodes I didn't see. On top of that, there was no internet to fact check or discuss issues, so I had only passing familiarity with the show. That's why we knew about the parallel universe and evil Spock had facial hair, but not enough to know Mr Sulu had a big scar instead. If I had known that, I absolutely would have had assassins with big scars on their faces!

BTW, growing up in the 80s I found that D&D players were more into LoTR and other fantasy novels than into science fiction, but that might have just been my experience. The people who liked sci-fi gravitated more to Traveller or BattleTech.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Because they are tiny, stealthy, and can all turn invisible/ change shape, everyone is constantly watched by imps, quasits, pixies, and sprites. It's very hard to prove otherwise, and a great tool for DMs to have NPCs of any alignment learn what the PCs are up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

23. - Top - End - #743

The ability boost books change to tell their specific reader the specific things they personally need to know to improve themself in that area. That's why copying them over normally doesn't do any good; before they've been used they don;t really say anything, and after they've been used they say things that are specific to one oarticular person

Omegaupdate Forum

24. - Top - End - #744
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Nonwerewolf Lycanthropes really hate the term 'Lycanthrope' as 'lycan' is wolf, so other were-creatures use terms such as 'zooanthrope' or other terms specific to their condition.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Nonwerewolf Lycanthropes really hate the term 'Lycanthrope' as 'lycan' is wolf, so other were-creatures use terms such as 'zooanthrope' or other terms specific to their condition.
    the universal term is therianthrope actually.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    the universal term is therianthrope actually.
    I was going to follow up with a related humorous headcanon, but it turns out it is plain canon that the werewolf-vs-wolfwere feud is shared between all therianthropes and antherions.

However, I disagree with the latter condition being passed only to offsprings. A normal wolf bitten by a wolfwere should become a wolfwere.

27. - Top - End - #747

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    I was going to follow up with a related humorous headcanon, but it turns out it is plain canon that the werewolf-vs-wolfwere feud is shared between all therianthropes and antherions.

However, I disagree with the latter condition being passed only to offsprings. A normal wolf bitten by a wolfwere should become a wolfwere.
    "Even a wolf who is clean of fur, and licks himself by night, may become a wolfwere when the moon is full and the belladonna blooms."
    The Cranky Gamer

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

Should all assassins have big scar on their face?
    Only if they deal in hard drugs and have an Uzi a repeating crossbow as their Little Friend.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-05-02 at 09:53 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

29. - Top - End - #749

'lycan' is wolf
    No it isn't. Contrary to popular belief, lycanthrope does not combine the roots *lycan- and *throp-; it comes from the Greek term λυκανθρωπος (transl. lykanthrōpos), a combination of λυκος ('wolf') and ανθρωπος ('human').

so other were-creatures use terms such as 'zooanthrope' or other terms specific to their condition.
    That would be zoanthrope and the common term is indeed therianthrope.

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ettin in the Playground

'lycan' is wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    No it isn't. Contrary to popular belief, lycanthrope does not combine the roots *lycan- and *throp-; it comes from the Greek term λυκανθρωπος (transl. lykanthrōpos), a combination of λυκος ('wolf') and ανθρωπος ('human').
    ... Okay, I had to parse that.

You are saying the word commonly thought to be a contraction of lycan-anthrope is actually just lyc-anthrope.