New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sabres?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Sabres?

I have a character concept in my mind of a character who dual-weilds sabres. Since this would mostly be a fluff thing, what would be a good weapon to use as stats for a sabre?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Sabres?

I believe the scimitar is the standin for sabres and cutlasses, correct?
    Blunder's Law: Just because it can be fixed doesn't mean it's not broken.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ...Eh? View Post
    I have a character concept in my mind of a character who dual-weilds sabres. Since this would mostly be a fluff thing, what would be a good weapon to use as stats for a sabre?
    A rapier that does slashing damage.

Edit: the scimitar is a rapier that does slashing, except its not finessable, the sabre would be finessable.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tataraus View Post
    A rapier that does slashing damage.
    Erm, you mean like a scimitar?

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

But I believe a sabre is heavier and slower, and I'm not sure it should be finesseable.

Perhaps this conversation is getting perilously close to "Questions about Real-Life Weapons"...
    Blunder's Law: Just because it can be fixed doesn't mean it's not broken.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Blunder View Post
    But I believe a sabre is heavier and slower, and I'm not sure it should be finesseable.
    It all depends on what you mean by "saber".

I think it's all up to you. Both are quite good : "slashing rapier" and normal scimitar too.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have to agree. Either slashing rapier or scimitar will work best. Maybe even a falchion, but probably not.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

What kind of sabre? A calvary sabre would be similar to a scimitar or longsword. A dueling sabre would be finessable (though their use was rare).

Personally, I allow scimitar's to be finessable (since I don't see this as gamebreaking at all).
    Johannes factotum of the Bard Defense League

"A witty saying proves nothing." -Voltaire

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than master of one."

The main question that any DM should ask before making a house-rule or exception is, "Is it balanced?"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I just meant that, IIRC, a Scimitar is identical to a rapier except that it does slashing damage and is not "Finesse-able".

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

This thread could use a pic.

You mean something like that?

Spoiler
    Show
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Faerun has a sabre as a weapon. It's basically a longsword that gets bonuses to attack/damage (can't remember which one) when charging. It's one-handed and non-fineseable.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_Whozevl View Post
    Faerun has a sabre as a weapon. It's basically a longsword that gets bonuses to attack/damage (can't remember which one) when charging. It's one-handed and non-fineseable.
    ?Bonuses when charging? How does that work? But as others have said, it really depends on what type of sabre you're thinking about. I think of a quick, slashing sword like the dueling sabre.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

?Bonuses when charging? How does that work? But as others have said, it really depends on what type of sabre you're thinking about. I think of a quick, slashing sword like the dueling sabre.
    There are the dueling sabres, as you mentioned, but the historical sabre is used by cavalry. Thus the bonus on charges (I recall that it was a mounted charge; sorry if putting just "charge" confused you). Here's a wikipedia link to clarify things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabre

14. - Top - End - #14

The Forgotten Realms saber is essentially a slashing and piercing longsword that gives you a +1 bonus to attack when mounted. If you just want an approximation, a normal longsword or a scimitar are your best bets.

A saber in D&D should probably be thought of mostly as a cavalry weapon, since that was indeed it's orginal purpose, instead of a light dueling weapon. Actually, if you look at modern saber fencers, a lot of the time they'll just charge towards each other, more or less, and have at each other.

@VV - FRCS book has a statted-out saber, p. 97
    Last edited by Lemur; 2007-09-30 at 11:31 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

There are the dueling sabres, as you mentioned, but the historical sabre is used by cavalry. Thus the bonus on charges (I recall that it was a mounted charge; sorry if putting just "charge" confused you). Here's a wikipedia link to clarify things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabre
    Ah, that does make sense. The plain 'charge' threw me off.

16. - Top - End - #16

I'm fairly certain that sabers are statted out somewhere; I'm just not sure which book. (Cutlasses are in the FRCS and Stormwrack.)
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

No. It gives a +1 to hit while mounted, as Sabers where primarily used by officers and cavalry.
    Thanks to Kpenguin for the Superb Avatar.

Deathwatch Characters
    Sven Carlson, Alistayr
    Tristan Weylin, Mikael
    Master of the Forge, Hephaestus Faust, Gwain

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm pretty sure Stormwrack has a Sabre. Otherwise the rapier with slashing damage would work.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Edit: the scimitar is a rapier that does slashing, except its not finessable, the sabre would be finessable.
    Use a scimitar. The curved blade allows the full force of the blow to be focused to a single point on the blade rather than spreading it along a straight edge. I would guess the curved blade is also more suited to chopping/hacking downward and also slashing at a solid/stationary object as you charge by on horseback, whereas a completely straight blade striking an immovable object might be more likely to break/shatter. You'd probably want a softer, more flexible metal as well, easier to nick/dull the blade but flexible enough to survive the rigors of mounted combat. The exact definition of scimitar is vague enough to cover all that.

A one level dip into Dervish would make scimitars finessable, as well as drzztable.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Zeal View Post
    I'm pretty sure Stormwrack has a Sabre. Otherwise the rapier with slashing damage would work.
    It has the Cutlass
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I think you should go with the scimitar. A cavalry sabre was designed as a cutting weapon, with the curved blade concentrating the force of the blow on a smaller area. The "dueling sabre" is a relatively modern invention associated with sport fencing, as far as I know, and not really well suited to genuine combat.

The scimitar is not Weapon Finesse-compatible, but I think that's appropriate, since a cutting weapon of this sort needs the mass to do its work properly.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!" -- Conan, on what is best in life

"A good plan, executed violently now, is better than a perfect plan next week." -- George S. Patton, Jr.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

well considering that the term sabre covers everything from the light Italian dueling sabre (what fencing sabre's are intending to cover) to big honking swiss 2 handers (a falchion could be used for this) and swords inbetween why not use a rapiers stats. The pictures or rapiers in most dnd books look like sabre's to my eyes anyways.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I would like to defend fencing real quick here, yes a fencing sabre is finesse and is actualy quite difficult, they don't as one person states it, "just charge". they do use finesse its just hard to see if you are not trained to see it or doing it yourself. I personaly have not done sabre but did foil for quite a few years under some of the top instructors in the states. my instructors didn't teach sabre because it was so complex. they stuck to foil and epee only.

If you haven't fenced don't comment on how they just charge please. its quite a respected sport.

Also the difference between a calvary sabre and a fencing or dueling sabre. the dueling sabre would be finesseable and I would give it the same stats more or less like that of a rapier, maybe bump up its damage a die or something but maybe take a minus on its use, so finesable but a -1 to use it that way.

24. - Top - End - #24

I've fenced for about 8 years . Which means I get to make all the cracks I want about the sport . Compared to foil and epee, saber fencers are more aggressive about closing distance, from what I've seen. I'm not suggesting there's no grace involved, but the style of it is rather fast.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Per WotC (in the Arms and Equipment Guide) a saber is another name for a scimitar. Not sure I entirely agree, the scimitar is usually significantly more point heavy. Of course WotC may contradict themselves in other books. :)

On fencing, isn't saber the only weapon allowed to score with the edge as well as the point? Fencing with the saber also disallows the hands as valid targets. Both rules will tend to encourage closing the range compared to foil or epee.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Raum View Post
    Per WotC (in the Arms and Equipment Guide) a saber is another name for a scimitar. Not sure I entirely agree, the scimitar is usually significantly more point heavy. Of course WotC may contradict themselves in other books. :)

On fencing, isn't saber the only weapon allowed to score with the edge as well as the point? Fencing with the saber also disallows the hands as valid targets. Both rules will tend to encourage closing the range compared to foil or epee.
    It's been a while, but IIRC, Sabre allows the edge, but not hands or feet, and does follow the right-of-way rules.
    save your fears
    for the day
    when our pain is far behind
    on your feet
    come with me
    we are soldiers stand or die

save your fears
    take your place
    save them for the judgement day
    fast and free
    follow me
    time to make the sacrifice
    we rise or fall

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

saber does close distance faster, I do aknowledge that. yes they are the only weapon that uses edge of blade. but the rule about hands is sort of true
    can't hit the hands I believe (I can't say with certainty) but you can hit the entire arm. Foil is where the arm is off limits. because you hit with edge there is no rules about pressure so the object is to hit even a glancing blow can give a point whereas in foil or epee a glancing blow won't normaly set off the lights so no point made

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

The hand is a valid target in Sabre fencing. Anything above the waist is valid.

It's not a valid target in Foil, but it is in Epee and Sabre.

You are correct that Sabre is the only weapon where you can score touches with the edge. Sabre follows Right of Way rules like Foil (basically, if you counterattack into the opponent's attack, and you both get hit, he gets the point, since you reacted wrong. You are supposed to defend yourself first, since Fencing was initially developed as a training aid for swordplay, and the idea was to train you to survive, not trade fatal blows. Epee ignores Right of Way and goes solely on timing, so if you ignore his attack and hit him a half second before he runs you through, it's your point. Epee is silly.)

I hold a national rating in Sabre.
    Last edited by Mike_G; 2007-10-01 at 05:24 PM.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    The hand is a valid target in Sabre fencing. Anything above the waist is valid.
    The hand isn't valid according to United States Fencing Association's website. Here's a quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by USFA
    The saber is the modern version of the slashing cavalry sword. As such, the major difference between saber and the other two weapons is that saberists can score with the edge of their blade as well as their point. In saber, the target area is the entire body above the waist, excluding the hands.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

The hand isn't valid according to United States Fencing Association's website. Here's a quote:
    It's possible that changed with the introduction of electric scoring.

I saw bouts won and lost by hand touches when in college.

Ah, yes, I just checked the FIE international rules and I stand corrected. When Electronic scoring was introduced to Sabre in 1988 at the Olypic level, later for us poor college students, the necessity of a conductive lame over target area changed the target area, prboably since a metal lame glove would have made holding the weapon impossible. The target are now ends at the cuff of the glove, and excludes the hand. It also changed the results of an off target touch from a stop in the action to no effect at all, and made the crossover of the feet illegal.

Huh. That takes away my trademark "point to the ball of the thumb" attack that used to catch people with a sloppy en garde position.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.