New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXIX: Sword, Shield, and Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Menu-based RPGs like mainline Pokemon have never really had complex controls, though. Move, select, cancel, pause, and nothing has precise timing requirements. That fits easily on a touch interface. I've emulated and beat MMBN2 on my phone (controller overlay on the screen); that's real-time and action-y, and uses more of the buttons than Pokémon does.

There are games that would have problems with a phone port without a significant redesign, but Pokémon is not one of them.
    yeah, your right, I was kind of thinking more in general for that.

oh well. guess we'll just have to wait and see. though I wouldn't be surprised if the 0-9 keypad physical design comes back to phones just to handle the videogame controls.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    This is your intermittent reminder that frogs, axolotls, catfish, and especially slugs are all various levels of slimy, and the ones I linked are 4x weak to Grass and live in muddy, rainy places.

Goomy also lives in muddy, rainy places... but it has Sap Sipper. Its slimy appearance is bait.
    Who agrees with this? I'm pretty sure Fel does, since he backed me up last time I mentioned it, but anyone else?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    If they need to take a break from Pokémon, they need to take a break from Pokémon. I don't have a problem with that. Rest up, do something else, take their time. Fine. I'm preternaturally patient; I can wait.
    Well, yes, maybe you can wait, but lots of people won't. One of the reasons pokémon has remained top of the genre is precisely being able to output games on a regular basis, since most of the public does have a quite short attention span.

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    But half-arsing the first release of a new generation mainline game because they apparently don't REALLY want to do Pokémon, but they also still want the money they hope they can make by half-arsing it?
    That's a way of looking at things, but the way I see it it's less "half-arsing it" and more "let's test some new stuff that we haven't done before". Open areas, dynamax, actual cooperative multiplayer against raid bosses, etc. That they're willing to work on such stuff is a sign to me the team may not be all of Game Freak but is still motivated, not just painting by the numbers for a quick cash grab.

Plus the old adage of "don't put all your eggs in the same basket".
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

And now we get Gigantamaxing, which appears to change pokemon's appearance and give them a new move. This right here, if it's available to all the pokemon in the Galar dex? That would definitely explain Game Freak's decision to not update every mon.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    And now we get Gigantamaxing, which appears to change pokemon's appearance and give them a new move. This right here, if it's available to all the pokemon in the Galar dex? That would definitely explain Game Freak's decision to not update every mon.
    From what I understand, all Mons get Dynamaxing, and some get Gigantamaxing, which is even bigger. So it's kind of like Gigantamaxing is the old Mega evolution, where Dynamaxing is a way to give Mega Evolution power to all Mon without designing a Mega for each one. Or something like that.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I wonder how Gigantamaxing will work, because it sounds like not every member of a species that can use it can use it. Meaning Corviknight can gigantamax, but not every Corviknight.
    So I guess is the Mons of specific NPCs, some event ones, maybe some you get during the story can use it but not ones caught in the wild. Maybe Raid-caught ones?

Also, it seems there's a tournament before facing the league?
    And different gyms between the games.
    Sounds interesting.
    I thought about getting both games anyway, but this seems like a reason.
    Even if Shy Guy and Maylene2.0 mightn't be the best examples to show for that.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    I wonder how Gigantamaxing will work, because it sounds like not every member of a species that can use it can use it. Meaning Corviknight can gigantamax, but not every Corviknight.
    So I guess is the Mons of specific NPCs, some event ones, maybe some you get during the story can use it but not ones caught in the wild. Maybe Raid-caught ones?

Also, it seems there's a tournament before facing the league?
    And different gyms between the games.
    Sounds interesting.
    I thought about getting both games anyway, but this seems like a reason.
    Even if Shy Guy and Maylene2.0 mightn't be the best examples to show for that.

You've got the right idea for how to get Gigantamax monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemon.com
    You can catch Gigantamax Pokémon for your team by participating in Max Raid Battles, but it seems they’re very rare—finding one won’t be easy!

Some of the new monsters shown in today's trailer didn't quite do it for me, and I find the gigantamax thing kind of weird, I wonder if some Mega Evolutions will reappear as Gigantamax monsters.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltstarfire View Post
    You've got the right idea for how to get Gigantamax monsters.

Some of the new monsters shown in today's trailer didn't quite do it for me, and I find the gigantamax thing kind of weird, I wonder if some Mega Evolutions will reappear as Gigantamax monsters.
    Let's hope thats "rare mon" rare and not "shiny" rare.
    Oh well, I wanted to try playing without casting Giant Growth anyway...

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

How powerful Is Mewtwo (Including its two Mega Forms) really is actually?

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Very powerful.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

They probably will unless they're giving Charizard a "Totally Unrelated Super-Mode #3" design instead. Other likely old-'mon candidates for Gigantamax are Hydreigon and Tyranitar, since they're basically a Ghidorah vs Godzilla version-exclusive matchup.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    "This isn't even my final form!"

Also really liking the whole "gym battles as big shows" angle.

+1 to Very Powerful.
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

13. - Top - End - #493
    Firbolg in the Playground

When you see an opposing Mewtwo in Team Preview:

It is going to be able to 1-2 shot almost anything on your team.
    You don't know if it's going to attack Specially or Physically.
    It's as fast as Mega Gengar, without the fragility.
    Your designated wall may just instantly lose to Mewtwo depending on its loadout; there's nothing that perfectly defends against both X and Y.

It's not the king of Ubers, but it's a very solid wallbreaker. Or sweeper. Or utility attacker. Or Psychic Terrain user. Basically, it's going to punch holes, and you're going to have to eat that loss and work around it.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

14. - Top - End - #494
    Troll in the Playground

"You call Mega Evolving, Gigantimaxing?"
    "Yes, it's a regional dialect."
    "Uh-huh, what region?"
    "Upstate Galar."
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    "This isn't even my final form!"

Also really liking the whole "gym battles as big shows" angle.

+1 to Very Powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    When you see an opposing Mewtwo in Team Preview:

It is going to be able to 1-2 shot almost anything on your team.
    You don't know if it's going to attack Specially or Physically.
    It's as fast as Mega Gengar, without the fragility.
    Your designated wall may just instantly lose to Mewtwo depending on its loadout; there's nothing that perfectly defends against both X and Y.

It's not the king of Ubers, but it's a very solid wallbreaker. Or sweeper. Or utility attacker. Or Psychic Terrain user. Basically, it's going to punch holes, and you're going to have to eat that loss and work around it.
    Thank you both.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    They probably will unless they're giving Charizard a "Totally Unrelated Super-Mode #3" design instead. Other likely old-'mon candidates for Gigantamax are Hydreigon and Tyranitar, since they're basically a Ghidorah vs Godzilla version-exclusive matchup.
    That would be interesting, kind of makes me wonder if that guy going on about the Godzilla movie at the press conference wasn't being as cheeky as we thought. It would be nice to just collapse mega evolution into Gigantamax and keep adding new monsters that can do it rather than them going out of their way to slightly remake a gimmick just for the sake of having a "new" one, while sweeping away the old megas.

I like Charizard and all, but I'm starting to get rather tired of them and their bajillions of forms.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

That would be interesting, kind of makes me wonder if that guy going on about the Godzilla movie at the press conference wasn't being as cheeky as we thought. It would be nice to just collapse mega evolution into Gigantamax and keep adding new monsters that can do it rather than them going out of their way to slightly remake a gimmick just for the sake of having a "new" one, while sweeping away the old megas.

I like Charizard and all, but I'm starting to get rather tired of them and their bajillions of forms.
    Consider yourself lucky they didn't do a summer swimsuit/christmas/halloween/valentine's charizard for the games yet.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

Consider yourself lucky they didn't do a summer swimsuit/christmas/halloween/valentine's charizard for the games yet.
    Don't forget Wedding Charizard, Highschool Charizard, and Anti-Charizard

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah yes, also Fallen Charizard, Brave Charizard, Legendary Charizard and Mythic Charizard.

Next game you'll start the game by picking one of three charizard options from professor Charizard, then fight the eight gym leaders specialized in charizard, meeting more common trainers like Charizard catcher, Charizard maniac and Charizard Ace, meeting wild charizard in grass, fishing charizard from the water, facing the villanous Team Charizard, until facing the Elite Charizard. The pokedex will of course be composed of only charizards.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, but can I get a Charizard hat for my Pikachu Charizard?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

You guys make that sound like a bad idea.
    I like it though*.
    And it's not as if it would be anything new.
    :cough:PikHATchu:cough:

*I mean, as long as they include Gardevoir and Lopunny too...

22. - Top - End - #502
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

I will freely admit I am a curmudgeon when it comes to trends, so I have been waiting for a decade for people to get over Charizard (yes I chose Bulbasaur what of it?).

I am mixed on the new mons. The dragon - whatever it is supposed to be - looks like a new Druddigon, which I don't mind. Won't be spammed most likely, but it's a fun design.

The coal pokemon is fun enough. I don't need everything to be top-tier, and I'm probably going to like this better than Gigalith.

I am hugely disappointed in the fairy. I loved how stupid Slurpuff looked, and seeing how this is also a mono-Fairy with the same ability, it seems too copypaste. Yes, yes, at this point there are a ton of copypaste fish & plant pokemon, but still.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Ettin in the Playground

This is your intermittent reminder that frogs, axolotls, catfish, and especially slugs are all various levels of slimy, and the ones I linked are 4x weak to Grass and live in muddy, rainy places.

Goomy also lives in muddy, rainy places... but it has Sap Sipper. Its slimy appearance is bait.
    Does anyone have further comments on this?
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Does anyone have further comments on this?
    Seems plausible.

do you have any ideas on how it might make the goomy line related to another pokemon? because I'm building a pokemon genealogy to try and figure which pokemon came from which for fun, with pictures and everything.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Seems plausible.

do you have any ideas on how it might make the goomy line related to another pokemon? because I'm building a pokemon genealogy to try and figure which pokemon came from which for fun, with pictures and everything.
    Common ancestor with the Dratini line. Dratini line has genetically evolved much more slowly (due to isolation) and closely resembles their common ancestor. Goomy line has evolved much more in the same time, but still quite slowly; think "ten million years" since their latest common ancestor, rather than just "million years."

Dratini and Dragonair also have the "seems like Water typse, but are actually pure Dragon" thing going on, though it's not nearly as obviously helpful in their case.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2019-07-09 at 06:09 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ah yes, also Fallen Charizard, Brave Charizard, Legendary Charizard and Mythic Charizard.

Next game you'll start the game by picking one of three charizard options from professor Charizard, then fight the eight gym leaders specialized in charizard, meeting more common trainers like Charizard catcher, Charizard maniac and Charizard Ace, meeting wild charizard in grass, fishing charizard from the water, facing the villanous Team Charizard, until facing the Elite Charizard. The pokedex will of course be composed of only charizards.
    That's what Pokémon Masters is for. Red is already confirmed for maining 'Zard in Masters (with Mega-X in some of the promotional art), so between him and Leon be prepared for Charizard alt-spam once they start the inevitable seasonal events rolling. (And you'd better believe Cynthia and Misty will get plenty of alts, too--maybe even their own Charizards?)

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Common ancestor with the Dratini line. Dratini line has genetically evolved much more slowly (due to isolation) and closely resembles their common ancestor. Goomy line has evolved much more in the same time, but still quite slowly; think "ten million years" since their latest common ancestor, rather than just "million years."

Dratini and Dragonair also have the "seems like Water typse, but are actually pure Dragon" thing going on, though it's not nearly as obviously helpful in their case.
    Ah, so Goomy line is also descended from Milotic. thanks.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

Pokemon Masters is how they make Pokemon fanservice, so you better believe we're going to get some kind of Santa Red with Santa Pikachu or something like that.

I'm not really sure what's happening with Pokemon Masters, but I'll probably try it some. I can actually play smart phone games, so who knows. Managing how much time I spend on all these games is probably gonna become a problem sooner or later, though.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Pokemon Masters is how they make Pokemon fanservice, so you better believe we're going to get some kind of Santa Red with Santa Pikachu or something like that.

I'm not really sure what's happening with Pokemon Masters, but I'll probably try it some. I can actually play smart phone games, so who knows. Managing how much time I spend on all these games is probably gonna become a problem sooner or later, though.
    Depends on how heavy it is on Gatcha, being a phone game and all. I want to believe that it'll just be a fun F2P battler game, but I'm not holding my breath.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Requizen View Post
    Depends on how heavy it is on Gatcha, being a phone game and all. I want to believe that it'll just be a fun F2P battler game, but I'm not holding my breath.
    They haven't mentioned any particular costs, which you'd imagine they would. I'm sure they'll let you buy in game currency but for how much...who knows. We don't even have a solid release date yet. I'm hoping to enjoy it more than I enjoyed Fate Grand/Order personally. I'm not opposed to having games on my phone, but I'd like them to be ones I find fun, not a slough.