New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XXIX: Sword, Shield, and Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by deuterio12 View Post
    More pokémon Sword and Shield info to come out in the 7th.

Personally I'm hoping that the Galar forms that have been rumored around are confirmed.
    I mean if you look at it in a videogame producing environment I assume Galar forms are unlikely if Gigantomax forms require new designs (plus the work load of new pokemon).

I assume the video will feature all the "noncombat" stuff you can or sigh may be forced to to do.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-08-06 at 08:10 AM.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ogre in the Playground

I can only imagine the cries of a million angry nerds if they were to reveal Galar forms.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    I can only imagine the cries of a million angry nerds if they were to reveal Galar forms.
    I think the Giganmax thingy already have special forms, like that whipped cream Pokemon that can become a cake.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emmerlaus View Post
    I think the Giganmax thingy already have special forms, like that whipped cream Pokemon that can become a cake.
    Which food pokemon are you referring to?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Exeggcute (eggs)
    Exeeggutor (coconut tree)
    Psyduck (duck)
    Golduck (duck)
    Tauros (Beef)
    Politoed (frog legs)
    Sunkern (sun flower seed)
    Magikarp (fish)
    Goldeen (fish)
    Seaking(fish)
    Mareep (lamb)
    Flaafy (lamb)
    Octilery (octopus)
    Miltank (beef)
    Torchi (chicken)
    Combuskken (chicken)
    Blaziken (chicken)
    Seedot (nut)
    Shroomish (mushroom)
    Breloom (mushroom)
    Spoink (pork)
    Grumpig (pork)
    Barboach (catfish?)
    Corphish (crab)
    Crawdaunt (crab)
    Krabby (crab)
    Kingler (crab)
    Feebas (fish)
    Cherubi (cherry)
    Cherrim (cherry)
    Buneary (rabbit)
    Lopunny (rabbit)
    Finneon (fish)
    Lumineon (fish)
    Tepig (pork)
    Pignite (pork)
    Emboar (pork)
    Basculin (fish)
    Duclett (duck)
    Vanilite (ice cream)
    Vaniluxe (ice cream)
    Vanilish (ice cream)
    Deerling (deer)
    Sawsbuck (deer)
    Foongus (Mushroom)
    Amoongus (mushroom)
    Amomomola (fish)
    Bouffalant (beef)
    Cobalion (deer)
    Terrakion (beef)
    Virizion (deer)
    Chespin (nut)
    Quilladin (nut)
    Chesnaught (nut)
    Froakie (frog legs)
    Frogadier (frog legs)
    Greninja(frog legs)
    Bunnelby (rabbit)
    Dggersby (rabbit)
    Swirlix(cotton candy)
    Slurpuff (cotton candy)
    Inkay (calamari)
    Malamar(calamari)
    Clauncher (lobster)
    Clawitzer (lobster)
    Pumpkaboo (pumpkin)
    Gourgeist (pumpkin)
    Xerneas (Deer)

Source: stolen!

5. - Top - End - #635
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Alcremie. It wasn't even on your list.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Exeggcute (eggs)
    Exeeggutor (coconut tree)
    Psyduck (duck)
    Golduck (duck)
    Tauros (Beef)
    Politoed (frog legs)
    Sunkern (sun flower seed)
    Magikarp (fish)
    Goldeen (fish)
    Seaking(fish)
    Mareep (lamb)
    Flaafy (lamb)
    Octilery (octopus)
    Miltank (beef)
    Torchi (chicken)
    Combuskken (chicken)
    Blaziken (chicken)
    Seedot (nut)
    Shroomish (mushroom)
    Breloom (mushroom)
    Spoink (pork)
    Grumpig (pork)
    Barboach (catfish?)
    Corphish (crab)
    Crawdaunt (crab)
    Krabby (crab)
    Kingler (crab)
    Feebas (fish)
    Cherubi (cherry)
    Cherrim (cherry)
    Buneary (rabbit)
    Lopunny (rabbit)
    Finneon (fish)
    Lumineon (fish)
    Tepig (pork)
    Pignite (pork)
    Emboar (pork)
    Basculin (fish)
    Duclett (duck)
    Vanilite (ice cream)
    Vaniluxe (ice cream)
    Vanilish (ice cream)
    Deerling (deer)
    Sawsbuck (deer)
    Foongus (Mushroom)
    Amoongus (mushroom)
    Amomomola (fish)
    Bouffalant (beef)
    Cobalion (deer)
    Terrakion (beef)
    Virizion (deer)
    Chespin (nut)
    Quilladin (nut)
    Chesnaught (nut)
    Froakie (frog legs)
    Frogadier (frog legs)
    Greninja(frog legs)
    Bunnelby (rabbit)
    Dggersby (rabbit)
    Swirlix(cotton candy)
    Slurpuff (cotton candy)
    Inkay (calamari)
    Malamar(calamari)
    Clauncher (lobster)
    Clawitzer (lobster)
    Pumpkaboo (pumpkin)
    Gourgeist (pumpkin)
    Xerneas (Deer)

Source: stolen!
    I realize you'll ignore this but he literally said the whip cream one that becomes a cake. He never mentioned food in the slightest.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ogre in the Playground

Introducing a new mon that gains a new form by interacting with a new power isn't going to set the internet off nearly as much as introducing new forms for old pokemon after excluding other pokemon from the lineup.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

Introducing a new mon that gains a new form by interacting with a new power isn't going to set the internet off nearly as much as introducing new forms for old pokemon after excluding other pokemon from the lineup.
    They already did it in Sun and Moon so people getting set off are being pretty dang silly.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Weird dream I had. It was contradicted by everything we know about Sword and Shield (had gameboy-styled graphics and the screen was vertical), but dreams be dreams.

They had implemented a system where you could "chain" pokemon moves together to strengthen them. The example present was that using Leech Seed followed by Foliage caused Foliage to also absorb 25% of the damage it caused. There was also a new electric move that could be chained with Growl to inflict the drowsy status Yawn causes, for some reason. You could also learn moves strictly as part of a chain, like you could have Tackle, Foliage, Leech Seed, Growl, or you could have Tackle, Leech Seed -> Foliage, Growl, free space, and you could only execute Foliage if you used Leech Seed on the preceding turn (and thus couldn't use Leech Seed twice in a row). I guess it kind of already exists in the Defense Curl and Rollout behavior, but it was implied that a whole lot of moves could be chained like that.

Would be hella powercreep in terms of coverage diversity, but an interesting enough thread to share.
    I could actually see this work. They experimented a bit with this, like defense curl followed by rollout adding damage to rollout like you said. And contest also had combinations. They had a few base moves with several followups. Like sandstorm, it could be followed by a bunch of moved like mud shot, and that would double the latter moves' appeal.

And I think that's the way to do it. Have some of these setup moves that already kind of set the stage for a strategy but don't do direct damage add something to a small range of followup moves. Like say all the mud moves that either lower speed or accuracy lower speed an extra step if used the turn after sandstorm. This provides an interesting dilemma: use two moveslots on basically one thing to profit from the synergy, or split the moveslots up so you can have more different options, like coverage moves?

The downside, as you said, is that several of these setup moves (or often actually mostly the abilities that function like these moves) already have quite good synergy. Terrain is quite important in the current meta, weather was king a few generations back. (Rain in particular is still pretty viable.) So it might be tricky to balance. And then there's choices on how this interacts with stuff like Z-moves (assuming those things would ever share a generation). Does Mud Shot still get empowered if it turns into tectonic rage? (Probably not knowing Game Freak, but it would be cool.) But it adds something extra to the move choices you have to make. And that's usually fun.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I realize you'll ignore this but he literally said the whip cream one that becomes a cake. He never mentioned food in the slightest.
    Sporeegg had the link ready and was just waiting for someone to complain about the food related Pokémon designs these days. They saw this comment and were like "..., close enough."
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-08-07 at 03:47 AM.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    They already did it in Sun and Moon so people getting set off are being pretty dang silly.
    They didn't make a big deal out of removing pokemon in Sun and Moon.

11. - Top - End - #641

Galarian Forms, Confirmed.

Also, GOD I love thetm all so much I'm dying. Give me goth Zigzagoon please.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Ogre in the Playground

*Grabby hands*

Regional Variants, gimme gimme gimme!

I wonder if some older gen monsters will get new evolutions, that would be fun.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

Goth Zigzagoon, goth rival, goth "evil" team, plenty of goth goodness to go around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

Me, I want that Wheezing! I think I'll nickname mine Monopoly if I gave it a nickname LOL

Im not against alternate form myself. I like it in fact.

Its funny how the final evo of alternate Zigzagoon makes me think of a hyena... I wanna see a fanfic with one of those being called Edd and it NEED to be laughing at everything lol

15. - Top - End - #645

Goth Zigzagoon, goth rival, goth "evil" team, plenty of goth goodness to go around!
    They're punk rock anarchists. The "real" villains, I imagine, will be Commissioner Rose and his emphasis on corporate sponsorship.

ANARCHY IN THE POKE-UK!

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

*sigh*

Well, the Weezing looks... Not QUITE as stupid as Alolan Eggecgutor, but it's close (and Weezing was not shakes to start with).

The zigzagoon is, at least and improvement, and maybe with a third evolution after linone, it might be plasuible usable (stats pending...) That third form's not bad...

And, of COURSE it's going to be rampaging fans as (some of?) the bad guys, isn't it? Going for a sort of Beatles meets football hoolaganism, are we?

Excellent, so we have now exhibited stuff based on the British traits over-industrialism, cliché top hats/moustaches, football obsession (plus hoolaganism), haven't we? Maybe puddings with those... rather silly lookin' thing that turns into a larger cake...

COME ON, Gamefreak! Where's at LEAST the tea? Fish and chips? Rain? Secret Agents (of the human and/or muse variety)? Old men riding down not-Yorkshire hills in bathtubs? You're so far going for all the other clichés, it seems. (Of course, the propensity for self-deprecating and/or scathing wit might be a little hard to make apparent outside of dialogue, and actually something like the proud British naval tradition is probabaly out but...)

Oh ye gods, they're not taken all their inspiration from 1960s Britain, have they?

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm surprised they didn't throw in a Galarian form for the most british of pokemon, the Lillipup line. Then again, I do like the KISS inspired Zigzagoon line. And the Pikachu variant looks... interesting. "Hangry" mode? *snrk*

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

the only thing I don't like about this is the use of the non-word "hangry". I refuse to acknowledge that as a word in general. everything else is like "okay cool, whatever."
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

19. - Top - End - #649
    Firbolg in the Playground

I am so happy Galarian forms were confirmed. Alolan forms were one of the best decisions from Gen 7, making that not a one-time gimick, but a way to revitalize existing pokemon going forward is great. Also, I feel like it's been a long while since we got a new regular evolution added to an existing pokemon. Not since Magmortar/Electivire right? So that was nice to see as well.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

20. - Top - End - #650

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    *sigh*

Well, the Weezing looks... Not QUITE as stupid as Alolan Eggecgutor, but it's close (and Weezing was not shakes to start with).

The zigzagoon is, at least and improvement, and maybe with a third evolution after linone, it might be plasuible usable (stats pending...) That third form's not bad...

And, of COURSE it's going to be rampaging fans as (some of?) the bad guys, isn't it? Going for a sort of Beatles meets football hoolaganism, are we?

Excellent, so we have now exhibited stuff based on the British traits over-industrialism, cliché top hats/moustaches, football obsession (plus hoolaganism), haven't we? Maybe puddings with those... rather silly lookin' thing that turns into a larger cake...

COME ON, Gamefreak! Where's at LEAST the tea? Fish and chips? Rain? Secret Agents (of the human and/or muse variety)? Old men riding down not-Yorkshire hills in bathtubs? You're so far going for all the other clichés, it seems. (Of course, the propensity for self-deprecating and/or scathing wit might be a little hard to make apparent outside of dialogue, and actually something like the proud British naval tradition is probabaly out but...)

Oh ye gods, they're not taken all their inspiration from 1960s Britain, have they?
    Everyone is calling them soccer hooligans, and they're not wrong, but they're also clearly punk rock fans. Not only is that a really neat aesthetic to take, it's also something that, to me, speaks directly to Galar's identity as Poke-UK. It wouldn't be the UK without posh nobles getting upset at the anarchists shouting about how cool their music is.

ANARCHY IN THE POKE-UK!

I'm surprised they didn't throw in a Galarian form for the most british of pokemon, the Lillipup line. Then again, I do like the KISS inspired Zigzagoon line. And the Pikachu variant looks... interesting. "Hangry" mode? *snrk*
    I feel like there's no need for Galarian Lillipups, since they are already perfectly in theme with the country.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    COME ON, Gamefreak! Where's at LEAST the tea? Fish and chips? Rain?
    Come on, where do you think Gamefreak comes from? Japan, aka the country that takes tea the most seriously in the world and fish eating almost as seriously. They've got lots of rain too.

ANARCHY IN THE POKE-UK!
    For the first time in pokémon I'm wishing there was the option of joining an opposing team.

ANARCHY IN THE POKE-UK!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."

22. - Top - End - #652

For the first time in pokémon I'm wishing there was the option of joining an opposing team.

ANARCHY IN THE POKE-UK!
    Given the fact that Chairman Rose looks ever so slightly sinister, the potential idea that there is match fixing due to corporate sponsorships being involved, and the fact that Pokemon seems to be going more to the "the rival team is really more disaffected teenage losers that need friendship" what with Team Skull, I can absolutely see us joining Team Yell Boys.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

And the Pikachu variant looks... interesting. "Hangry" mode? *snrk*
    I didn't know I needed a Pokemon with a hamster-wheel attack in my life before, but now I do and I need it.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Also, I feel like it's been a long while since we got a new regular evolution added to an existing pokemon. Not since Magmortar/Electivire right? So that was nice to see as well.
    Yeah, gen 4 I figure, with eviolite arriving in gen 5.

I think the concept is kind of neat, alternate forms with extra evolutions.

I would probably hate it if I was a die hard fan of the original mon/line, but it's Zigzagoon, so...
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I didn't know I needed a Pokemon with a hamster-wheel attack in my life before, but now I do and I need it.
    Hooray! We have Hamtaro in the new game.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    I wonder if Punkachu is going to be worthwhile as more than a simple gimmick pokemon.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

I wonder if Punkachu is going to be worthwhile as more than a simple gimmick pokemon.
    Probably not, not unless it gets access to something like Light Ball or Eviolite to help make up for probably having first-tier junkmon stats, but I'm still loving the concept of hitting things with an exercise wheel.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I heard that one of the Galar Pokemon is a bong and fans are going crazy. LOL!

29. - Top - End - #659
    Titan in the Playground

Don't think I like the new smokestack Weezing being Fairy-type and spouting clean air.

Also, come on, why did Obstagoon need to be yet another quadruped-evolves-into-biped Stage 2?
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2019-08-07 at 07:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #660

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Don't think I like the new smokestack Weezing being Fairy-type and spouting clean air.

Also, come on, why did Obstagoon need to be yet another quadruped-evolves-into-biped Stage 2?
    Grimer and Muk is used for cleaning up trash, Galar is more industrialized than other regions so they've taken to using other poison types, thus leading to this. I think it's cool, since it's established Koffing gas is used for perfumes, so clearly by feeding them more and more smog, it's causing the to purify the gas inside them more and more, until it finally breaks into _Good_ form.