New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Banned

Default Re: OOTS #1162 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Most of it might be about being ****-faced though.
    "A big, happy, fulfilling blur" indeed. . .

2. - Top - End - #302
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Galliant View Post
    Out of curiosity, how does a pick work as a weapon in Dungeons and Dragons?
    I originally read your comment as "how does one pick work as a weapon" I was in the middle of responding that it involves 2 levels in the fiend of possession prestige class.
    Also, now I want to find a way to play a bard that possesses the partys weapons and buffs them from within. Or perhaps the psionic buffing class.

Edit: Or a singing tea set. "Be our guest!"
    Last edited by Pampukin; 2019-04-30 at 04:11 PM.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    I have ten gold that cries out as much.
    I only have a monkey. Ugly sucker, only says the word "ficus."
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #304
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Some of these dwarves might've been adventuring a while.
    Some, longer than Durkon has been alive. Not that I expect that means a whole horde of level 12-15 adventurers, because that takes away from the OOTS’ personal narrative, but if Durkon could reach 15 in that span of time, his family could easily have put together a few XP as well.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

5. - Top - End - #305

Quote Originally Posted by bottled View Post
    She might think that her arm is still holding her Husband and therefore by growing a new one would be letting go of him. She NEVER let go of him, nor do I think will she.
    And again I have to say, people really should stop projecting things onto the character that the character has not implied at all.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-04-30 at 08:13 PM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

6. - Top - End - #306
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    And again I have to say, people really should stop projecting things onto the character that the characters haven't implied.
    I think you need to learn the difference between "implied" and "stated outright."

7. - Top - End - #307

I think you need to learn the difference between "implied" and "stated outright."
    And what was "stated outright"? Because "I'm not regenerating my arm because it would be like letting go of him" certainly wasn't.

It's an idea that, admittedly, I understand the appeal of, but certain people are just taking as a fact even though it's anything but. That's what I'm personally objecting to, not if it turns out to be true.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-04-30 at 08:19 PM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necris Omega View Post
    ... Honestly, between that and the failed Will save, I'm amazed she can function as a Cleric, because her WIS score seems... lacking.
    Off hand theory: She was hit by the domination gaze directly by Greg, meaning she had to deal with a higher-level character than if it was by a different character, (if that doesn't quite work then um magic), Hilgya got like a natural 2 and Greg got a natural 19 or something. Then Minrah, targeted by a lower-level vampire, got a natural 20. Hilgya still doesn't have the best stats in those areas, but it isn't horrid so much as unlucky in this instance. Sound good?

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousPepper View Post
    The Flag Must Fall from the Call of Duty: Finest Hour soundtrack.
    That one song from MARDEK RPG. Or maybe Decisive Battle shifting into Warriors of Dawn (FF6->FF5)

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Galliant View Post
    Out of curiosity, how does a pick work as a weapon in Dungeons and Dragons?
    Very painfully, of course
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2019-04-30 at 08:59 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

9. - Top - End - #309
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Giant, that was beautiful.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Banned

And what was "stated outright"? Because "I'm not regenerating my arm because it would be like letting go of him" certainly wasn't.
    No indeed. But it was implied, which is the point - you can imply something without stating it outright.

11. - Top - End - #311

No indeed. But it was implied, which is the point - you can imply something without stating it outright.
    I mean, I disagree with the statement that it's even specifically been implied.

Being upset at Durkon for implying that she just completely stopped caring about Tenrin, is not the same thing as implying her stated reasons for not getting her arm regenerated aren't genuine, nor is it indicative of her unwillingness to do so when things settle down.

That very well could come up, but for now, it hasn't.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2019-04-30 at 10:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Being upset at Durkon for implying that she just completely stopped caring about Tenrin, is not the same thing as implying her stated reasons for not getting her arm regenerated aren't genuine, nor is it indicative of her unwillingness to do so when things settle down.

That very well could come up, but for now, it hasn't.
    Yeah, I agree. She's angry at Durkon some... what, twenty-odd years ago? for suggesting she "just let [Tenrin] go." That doesn't mean she never got her arm regenerated in all the time because her missing arm is a reminder of him. Indeed, in the same strip, she says she didn't do it because "wha kind of dwarf would I be ... If'n I put me happiness ahead o' tha lives-- nay, tha very souls-- o' five others?"

13. - Top - End - #313

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Maybe he keeps it because he feels it gives him a certain gravitas without making him look too old?

The mindset of those who use cosmetics is completely foreign to me, but the people who sell hair dye for men do seem to believe there is a market for those who want to be a bit grey, but not too grey.

Grey Wolf
    That explains so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Yeah, I agree. She's angry at Durkon some... what, twenty-odd years ago? for suggesting she "just let [Tenrin] go." That doesn't mean she never got her arm regenerated in all the time because her missing arm is a reminder of him. Indeed, in the same strip, she says she didn't do it because "wha kind of dwarf would I be ... If'n I put me happiness ahead o' tha lives-- nay, tha very souls-- o' five others?"
    The healthcare service of the Dwarven army sucks big time, appearantly. As weird as agreeing with Belkar feels, I have to say I am with him on this one.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

14. - Top - End - #314

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    The healthcare service of the Dwarven army sucks big time, appearantly. As weird as agreeing with Belkar feels, I have to say I am with him on this one.
    I don't know if "no one available to regenerate lost limbs," which can realistically only be cast by their most powerful clerics, would be classified as "sucks big time." If I have a heart attack, I'm probably not going to the best cardiologist in the country, ya know?

15. - Top - End - #315

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    As long as the family stays far away from the worm, they won't get hit by the cone of cold, as its range is sixty feet. Unholy blight is more dangerous as the range is quite long, but the damage is maximum 5d8, so it's survivable.
    Next turn: death worm squiggles closer, does a cone of cold, kills off 100% of the mooks that just arrived to help the OotS.

:feelsgood:
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Colossus in the Playground

Me too. In fact, I would say the opposite has specifically been implied in the latest strip, in panel seven, where Sigdi talks about her reasons for not letting Durkon regenerate her arm before the fight, and none of them suggest anything longer lasting than the current fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't know if "no one available to regenerate lost limbs," which can realistically only be cast by their most powerful clerics, would be classified as "sucks big time." If I have a heart attack, I'm probably not going to the best cardiologist in the country, ya know?
    From where I'm sitting, that also sucks big time (assuming you actually, you know, need that cardiologist). But more, I can't safely say here.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Me too. In fact, I would say the opposite has specifically been implied in the latest strip, in panel seven, where Sigdi talks about her reasons for not letting Durkon regenerate her arm before the fight, and none of them suggest anything longer lasting than the current fight
    Have you noticed that she always has a different reason for not wanting her arm regenerated? First so she could save the miners' lives, then because she didn't have the money, then so Durkon wouldn't distort his life around hers, then because he needed his high-level spells. It's always something, and because of that, it can and should be inferred that none of these reasons is the real one.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Have you noticed that she always has a different reason for not wanting her arm regenerated? First so she could save the miners' lives, then because she didn't have the money, then so Durkon wouldn't distort his life around hers, then because he needed his high-level spells. It's always something, and because of that, it can and should be inferred that none of these reasons is the real one.
    Inferring and implying are not the same thing.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-01 at 07:21 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Inferring and implying are not the same thing.

Grey Wolf
    I know some guys would put up with that kind of thing, but frankly, I can't imagine why.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, at least two dwarves have swords. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Also, judging by the length of Aunt Shira's blade, maybe she's a Rogue? Would explain why she doesn't seem to be wearing armor.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

And I told her, I said, "Hey, Are we playing horseshoes, honey? No, I don't think we are!"

- - - - -

As for regenerating the arm, one more reason why all clans should be rendered destitute and their fortunes socialized; more deserving people would get the health care they need.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-01 at 10:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

22. - Top - End - #322

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    worthier people
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
    Well, isn't Sigdi a better person than the people from the clans?
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

24. - Top - End - #324
    Banned

Sigdi is a saint and should probably be Empress of the Universe. She stands as an indictment to every other character in the story.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-05-01 at 10:41 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325

Alternatively, it's been delayed for each of those reasons independently, and she has no problem with further delaying it if the resources involved with regenerating her arm would be better served going towards something else (like saving the world). Which fits perfectly in line with what we know about Sigdi already, given that she used her freshly-acquired wealth to revive five complete strangers rather than do anything for herself. We know from the flashback with Shirra that she's not too proud to accept help, either, only that she feels the need to keep the books even (her gripe was "It's gonna be a bit before I can pay you back", not "I can buy my own dresses, thanks"). At worst, that puts her one "it's okay, ma, you did right by me" speech away from being able to use two-handed weapons again.

She's a Good person. She puts others' needs before her own. It's not that complicated, at least not yet.
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Sigdi is a saint and should probably be Empress of the Universe. She stands as an indictment to every other character in the story.
    And I know that you agree with me that the moneyed elites should cease to exist.

What do you say? Allies?
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-01 at 10:49 AM.

27. - Top - End - #327

I'd say that makes Eric cry, but I don't even know of he can be sad up there.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Banned

What do you say? Allies?
    Just for using that term, and not another, on May Day of all days. . .

No
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2019-05-01 at 10:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Just for using that term, and not another, on May Day of all days. . .

No
    :( ........

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

She's better than every signle dwarf ever herself included? Don't get me wrong: that's impressive but I question the logistics.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.