New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1162 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yirggzmb View Post
    I much prefer the platonic version of shipping anyway. (I unashamedly call this "Friend Shipping") The idea that two characters would be really good friends, should they meet. Infinitely better than romantic shipping, in that no one has to get their knickers in a twist about other people's ships. A character can have as many friends as they want, but only poly characters get to say that about romantic partners.

I think Sigdi and O-Chul would get along wonderfully.
    Yes, that is absolutely entirely what I meant and I am most certainly not a gentrophile.

In all seriousness, though, yeah, they'd definitely get along swimmingly. Shared military background, alignment, philosophies, and sheer badassery... I bet Sigdi's probably the only monoclass fighter who could give the guy a run for his money in a paladin-off.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2019-05-01 at 02:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Ooh, I love A.P. Bio. Although it should really be The Heather Show.
    All the kids are awesome, but Heather is definitely the breakout star. Now stop writing, I'm not teaching you this!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #393

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    I'd actually agree with The_Weirdo on how "adultery" and "abandonment" of Ivan aren't things Hilgya needs to apologize for, and I think the narrative would agree on that.
    Sure. But look back at Fish's post that Weirdo is responding to. It's on the top of the previous page.

"I predict that" does not mean "I think she should". Weirdo's entire argument has been -- as usual -- based on lying about what other people said.

If Hilgya were to die, and were to have a brief time knowing she is about to die to reflect on her own life, it's a reasonable prediction that she would judge herself by the standards of her own culture, not having access to ours.

4. - Top - End - #394

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    I'd actually agree with The_Weirdo on how "adultery" and "abandonment" of Ivan aren't things Hilgya needs to apologize for, and I think the narrative would agree on that.
    In no way did I imply, hint, suggest, conclude, aver, declaim, or declare that she or anyone else “needs” to apologize for any or all of the things in the list I gave.

I think it would be funny if she did sincerely apologize for those things, then die in some obvious and nigh-irrevocable way, precisely because it would make The Weirdo frantic with the need to absolve and defend her.

“Need?” No.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Norbert View Post
    If Hilgya were to die, and were to have a brief time knowing she is about to die to reflect on her own life, it's a reasonable prediction that she would judge herself by the standards of her own culture, not having access to ours.
    Hahahano.

Chaotics, whether Good, Evil or Neutral, don't judge themselves by the standards of any culture. They judge themselves by their own standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Then either the head Cleric must answer for that or the CoT itself, as an institution.

Things must be made fair to the oppressed.
    The head cleric that did it is dead. The current head cleric has no knowledge of it. Who do you want to punish?

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    The head cleric that did it is dead. The current head cleric has no knowledge of it. Who do you want to punish?
    Institutions answer for wrongs done in their name all the time.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

This is Fish arguing she was wrong to have sexual intercourse with other people but Ivan and for leaving Ivan, even peacefully, in the first place.
    Do remember that she only left peacefully because she failed to kill him violently.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    Out of curiosity, why? If I had to guess, I'd say because of that whole "bury your emotions" thing, but that seems a little flimsy.
    I believe that was it. Of course, wayyyy back then, there was no context to explain the advice that Durkon was given before embarking on his adventuring career, and which he applied shortly after the conception of Kudzu. A lesson to us all about the importance of trying to understand the context behind apparently strange words and actions.

Light the lamp not the rat LIGHT THE LAMP NOT THE RAT!!!

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Do remember that she only left peacefully because she failed to kill him violently.
    Even an uncharitable reading of that would have her apologize for the attempts to kill, not for leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by NihhusHuotAliro View Post
    Which would be a good idea, except for the fact that your actions have consequences that affect other people!
    Which doesn't mean one should let their culture, rather than their consciousness, judge what was good or bad.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Institutions answer for wrongs done in their name all the time.
    Which isn't what happened.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Banned

Zombie

She should not apologize for adultery or abandonment from a marriage she was coerced into. That is an absolute truth. And it is not hyperbole: Fish claimed she should apologize for adultery and abandonment.

Why?

Her entire clan should, between one shift at the mines and another, apologize to her.
    Its not an absolute truth. Fish didn't claim any moral superiority, nor did he even say that she should apologize, just that he hoped/predicted that it would happen (along with a huge 4th wall break) presumably so we can hear your head explode. Hilgya isn't evil because she bailed. Shes evil because she chose revenge and used crime to fight an unjust law. I might think that everyone deserves healthcare, but I cant blow up an insulin factory because I think that.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Its not an absolute truth. Fish didn't claim any moral superiority, nor did he even say that she should apologize, just that he hoped/predicted that it would happen (along with a huge 4th wall break) presumably so we can hear your head explode. Hilgya isn't evil because she bailed. Shes evil because she chose revenge and used crime to fight an unjust law. I might think that everyone deserves healthcare, but I cant blow up an insulin factory because I think that.
    Using crime to fight an unjust law is Chaotic, not Evil. And her clan deserved what it got. She was stealing back what was taken from her.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-01 at 03:20 PM.

14. - Top - End - #404

HalflingRogueGuy

Using crime to fight an unjust law is Chaotic, not Evil. And her clan deserved what it got.
    Using chaos to fight injustice is chaotic.

Using evil to fight injustice is evil.

Hilgya uses both evil and chaos to fight injustice because Hilgya is chaotic evil.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

And her clan deserved what it got.
    [sarcasm]Especially the people forced to marry into it. And their children.[/sarcasm]

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Using chaos to fight injustice is chaotic.

Using evil to fight injustice is evil.

Hilgya uses both evil and chaos to fight injustice because Hilgya is chaotic evil.
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ayEvilUntoEvil

17. - Top - End - #407

GreataxeFighterGirl

So people who had no idea of the marriage that had transpired did deserve to be bankrupted or punished.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    So people who had no idea of the marriage that had transpired did deserve to be bankrupted or punished.
    They can take it up with the people that did the marrying off. They are the ones that set that sequence of events in motion. Would she have bankrupted her clan if they hadn't married her off?

Right, but what is culture if not the consciousness of individuals? What is a society if not the individuals that comprise it?
    It's way more complicated than that. The whole is greater - for good or bad - than the sum of its parts.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-01 at 03:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I hope Hilgya gets fatally shot in the face by Ivan.

Maybe he's under the sway of the vampires when he does it since I doubt he'd do it of his own free will.

20. - Top - End - #410

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    In no way did I imply, hint, suggest, conclude, aver, declaim, or declare that she or anyone else “needs” to apologize for any or all of the things in the list I gave.

I think it would be funny if she did sincerely apologize for those things, then die in some obvious and nigh-irrevocable way, precisely because it would make The Weirdo frantic with the need to absolve and defend her.

“Need?” No.
    My mistake then.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

21. - Top - End - #411
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mreav, I wouldn't want Ivan to have to go through all that. He'd feel guilty, whether or not it was of his own free will. And it would probably count as an honorable death, which, if you truly despise Hilgya, you'd probably want her to not have. Besides, it would leave Kudzu outside of the "being honorably dead" club where all the cool kids are. Why would you leave poor Kudzu in the stupid "being alive" club where the snarl can get his soul or he could die dishonorably or could grow up to be rude to people.

I mean, who even is in the "being alive" club? Jirix, I guess. And, um, Redcloak. Man, feels like forever since we last saw those guys. I guess also Hinjo and Goblin Dan. And everybody in the current page. Oooh, the current page! We should probably get back around to talking about that at some point.
    Last edited by NihhusHuotAliro; 2019-05-01 at 03:58 PM.

22. - Top - End - #412

Given Weirdo's MO, everyone in existence other than his preferred mass murderer 'victim'.

Really, people, we know how it goes by now. Report any of Weirdo's posts that you think break the Forum rules, and put him on your Ignore List if you can't not feed the troll.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Mreav, I wouldn't want Ivan to have to go through all that. He'd feel guilty, whether or not it was of his own free will. And it would probably count as an honorable death, which, if you truly despise Hilgya, you'd probably want her to not have. Besides, it would leave Kudzu outside of the "being honorably dead" club where all the cool kids are. Why would you leave poor Kudzu in the stupid "being alive" club where the snarl can get his soul or he could die dishonorably or could grow up to be rude to people.
    If Ivan is too stupid to grasp that his wife did not want to be his wife and then ran away, he's also too stupid to grasp that he killed someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Given Weirdo's MO, everyone in existence other than his preferred mass murderer 'victim'.
    She was a victim. And then her clan got what it deserved.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-01 at 03:53 PM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

Not even for exploding a dire elephant?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I'll go with the. version I heard somewhere that shipping meant 'relationships" and it could include being friends without needing to have anything sexual going on.
    I should have used "pairing" or "pairing off" since coupling has a particular connotation that you allude to, and isn't what I meant to say.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

26. - Top - End - #416

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Not even for exploding a dire elephant?
    I wouldn’t take her to tusk over that kind of irrelephant detail.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

I wouldn’t take her to tusk over that kind of irrelephant detail.
    *slow clapping*
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #418

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Is there a pithy quote about consequences counting for more than intentions? There must be. Sort of like "close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades".
    "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

29. - Top - End - #419
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Is the_weirdo actually unaware of the fact that background characters have the same moral standing as characters who have received focu, or can they not conceptualize the idea that any other member of Hilgya's clan could have been victimized in the same way as she?

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo360 View Post
    Is the_weirdo actually unaware of the fact that background characters have the same moral standing as characters who have received focu, or can they not conceptualize the idea that any other member of Hilgya's clan could have been victimized in the same way as she?
    He knows, but he also said that it was up to those other victimized people to get over it, and whoever is victimized by Hilgya's actions deserves it on account of being related to someone who victimized her, whether they had responsibility in it or not.