New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1162 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    She's Chaotic Good, really, to only bankrupt them, when you think of it.
    You've already admitted that her actions in no way stopped the crimes of the Firehelms from continuing. Stealing from criminals in such way that it doesn't disrupt their crimes is not Good.

On the other hand, stealing from people sold into sexual slavery is very Evil. And since Hilgya stole from far more of those people than she did from the people responsible for any actual crime, she is clearly, unmistakably Evil.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #572
    Ogre in the Playground

Because you need to read more on psychopathy.

Not quite.

You argued with me that it was wrong to bankrupt the clan. And I did not become more extreme.

I did, however, become more extreme the moment Keltest chose to argue that what they did to Hilgya was just forcing her through a ceremony.
    Why, though? Why change your morals based on spite? If it's just for the sake of cheesing off Keltest...Why? What's the point?
    Last edited by woweedd; 2019-05-02 at 11:12 AM.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Why change your morals based on spite?
    Spite is its own reward.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Why, though? Why change your morals based on spite?
    Because, though it is my moral duty to argue against the naturalization of forced marriage and victim-blaming, I don't want to.

So they'll have to argue that the entirety of the Firehelm Clan does not deserve to die and spend eternity under Hel's care instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

Because, though it is my moral duty to argue against the naturalization of forced marriage and victim-blaming, I don't want to.

So they'll have to argue that the entirety of the Firehelm Clan does not deserve to die and spend eternity under Hel's care instead.
    But...That doesn't really add up. If it's your moral duty, you should do it whether or not you want to or not. And if you're willing to ignore it for the sake of your comfort...Why not just leave?
    Also, more to the point, you relazie that your exaggerated agreement is EASIER, not harder to debunk, right? And, in answer to the question you're preparing about why no one's argued agnsit it then, 1. People have 2. they can tell you're being disingenuous, so no one takes it seriousness.
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Spite is its own reward.
    I'm gonna assume that was a joke.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2019-05-02 at 11:16 AM.

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

But...That doesn't really add up. If it's your moral duty, you should do it whether or not you want to or not. And if you're willing to ignore it for the sake of your comfort...Why not just leave?
    Also, more to the point, you relazie that your exaggerated agreement is EASIER, not harder to debunk, right? And, in answer to the question you're preparing about why no one's argued agnsit it then, 1. People have 2. they can tell you're being disingenuous, so no one takes it seriousness.

I'm gonna assume that was a joke.
    Oh, it's simple, really: if people argue against genocide instead of arguing for forced marriage, I don't have to argue against forced marriage anymore because the people are no longer arguing for it, having, instead, to argue against genocide. Hence...
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-02 at 11:20 AM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

7. - Top - End - #577
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Spite is its own reward.
    I don't know of I'd use the word "reward," but I certainly can't argue that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, it's simple, really: if people argue against genocide instead of arguing for forced marriage, I don't have to argue against forced marriage anymore because the people are no longer arguing for it, having, instead, to argue against genocide. Hence...
    That...Makes a twisted amount of sense. But you didn't really answer my question. If it's your moral duty to argue against forced marriage such that you're wiling to risk your own mental health to do so, why not keep doing that instead of diverting the conversation? You're either neglecting your moral duty or you're taking a, clearly needed break from it, but you're taking a much worse route then just...Stopping, since this route not only keeps an argument going, but will make far MORE people argue against you, because you're, seemingly, advocating genocide.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Ignoring The_Weirdness going on in here. I’ve see Avengers: Endgame yesterday. What’s happening in the comic has nothing to do with the contents of the movie. What the hell are people talking about?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Ignoring The_Weirdness going on in here. I’ve see Avengers: Endgame yesterday. What’s happening in the comic has nothing to do with the contents of the movie. What the hell are people talking about?
    Thing One used a trope that Thing Two also used. Thing One must have inspired Thing Two!

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

That...Makes a twisted amount of sense. But you didn't really answer my question. If it's your moral duty to argue against forced marriage such that you're wiling to risk your own mental health to do so, why not keep doing that instead of diverting the conversation? You're either neglecting your moral duty or you're taking a, clearly needed break from it, but you're taking a much worse route then just...Stopping, since this route not only keeps an argument going, but will make far MORE people argue against you, because you're, seemingly, advocating genocide.
    Because if people remember the time they had to argue against genocide whenever they think about arguing for forced marriage they might stop.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Endgame
    Show
    There was a particular scene in the final fight in Endgame where all the female heroes got together in a group to protect the gauntlet and stones for a while. I assume that's what is being referred to.

Because if people remember the time they had to argue against genocide whenever they think about arguing for forced marriage they might stop.
    Arguing for genocide hasn't made you stop anything. I fail to see why taking as low a moral ground as possible would make anybody else do anything besides think youre just completely terrible. Certainly nobody is actually going to conflate those issues without somebody like you trying to force them together.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2019-05-02 at 11:29 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #583

Having seen a single Avengers movie, id guess Thor steals some thunder from someone. Which, being the god of thunder, does seem right up his alley.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I don't know if "no one available to regenerate lost limbs," which can realistically only be cast by their most powerful clerics, would be classified as "sucks big time." If I have a heart attack, I'm probably not going to the best cardiologist in the country, ya know?
    Maybe your healthcare service sucks as well? ;-)

Jokes aside, the point remains (I would assume and hope for your health!) that you do get access to a cardiologist who is principally able and competent to treat your heart attack in the current standard.

I mean, I don't know where you live and how it is like there, but this is the basic premise here where I live. If a disease is curable or treatable you get access to it.
    In reality, there are few cases that ONLY ONE DOCTOR in the country can treat, though, so there is a difference in OotS world.

Which doesn't change my opinion: I would NOT join that army, given the choice. I'd become cleric so I can heal myself and loved ones, and to escape the stupid dwarven afterlife clause, if I got the chance to.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    I mean, I don't know where you live and how it is like there
    Peelee helpfully has his location listed.

but this is the basic premise here where I live. If a disease is curable or treatable you get access to it.
    A quote from the IFCC directors comes to mind.

16. - Top - End - #586

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Maybe your healthcare service sucks as well? ;-).
    Well, yes, but that's beside the point.

If a single doc is capable of fixing X condition, then trucking in every person with X condition will overload said doc fairly quickly. Especially if the doc can only do one operation a day, and if the person requiring it can't pay for it.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Thing One used a trope that Thing Two also used. Thing One must have inspired Thing Two!
    Gosh, the Order of the Stick must have inspired all those western movies where the cavalry arrives to save the day !
    Even though all those dwarves are on foot. Giving horses to the rescue team to hide the plagiarism was a real stroke of genius.
    Last edited by Cazero; 2019-05-02 at 11:41 AM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Show
    There was a particular scene in the final fight in Endgame where all the female heroes got together in a group to protect the gauntlet and stones for a while. I assume that's what is being referred to.
    Those scenes are nothing alike, though.

Having seen a single Avengers movie, id guess Thor steals some thunder from someone. Which, being the god of thunder, does seem right up his alley.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite the opposite actually, Capt. America steals Thor’s thunder. Well borrows his magic hammer, to be precise, which somehow lets him call down lightning despite that having been established as a power of Thor, not of Mjöllnir.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2019-05-02 at 11:42 AM.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    Quite the opposite actually, Capt. America steals Thor’s thunder. Well borrows his magic hammer, to be precise, which somehow lets him call down lightning despite that having been established as a power of Thor, not of Mjöllnir.
    Show
    Let's pretend that Thor called down the lightning on Cap's position, responding to his signal of lifting the hammer.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Timy View Post
    I don't know it is has already been pointed out but does a single cone of cold kill this entire family ?
    I think someone did suggest that, but then someone else pointed out that's only an issue if they get close enough to the Nightcrawler for that to happen.

No. I have a moral duty not to let the claim that forcing someone into marriage isn't a grave and serious moral wrong - or that it might be theoretically motivated by something the victim did to "deserve or motivate it" - go unchallenged.
    Preposterous. You have no moral duty to post online, and even if you did, your own victim-blaming has ruined your credibility as a moral arguer.

Well, someone compared the Hilgya conversation to the Miko conversation, and I found another throughline: the most ardent defenders of each keep assigning responsibility for their continued participation in the argument to other people.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Let's pretend that Thor called down the lightning on Cap's position, responding to his signal of lifting the hammer.
    Headcanon accepted. What a friend.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Avengers:End Game
    Show
    At least I am referring to the moment in act 3 when a bunch of secondary characters join the battle just as the bad guys have summoned their own reinforcements.

ETA:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Show
    The Hammer was established in Thor 1 as granting "the power of Thor" to whomever it finds worthy. So if someone is worthy, they can channel lightning with the Hammer. Thor doesn't need the Hammer to do so, but was using it as a clutch until reminded he is not the God of Hammers.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-02 at 11:50 AM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

23. - Top - End - #593

HalflingRogueGuy

Or they might think “100% of people I’ve met who are against forced marriage are absolute nutjobs. They did such an absolutely terrible job of arguing, that I’m beginning to doubt my own beliefs that forced marriage is wrong.”

24. - Top - End - #594

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    I think someone did suggest that, but then someone else pointed out that's only an issue if they get close enough to the Nightcrawler for that to happen.
    Also, it get a little dicey to say this, but...

A bunch of dwarves dying honorably in battle to save the world from evil isn’t really a great tragedy.

25. - Top - End - #595

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Show
    At least I am referring to the moment in act 3 when a bunch of secondary characters join the battle just as the bad guys have summoned their own reinforcements.

ETA:

Show
    The Hammer was established in Thor 1 as granting "the power of Thor" to whomever it finds worthy. So if someone is worthy, they can channel lightning with the Hammer. Thor doesn't need the Hammer to do so, but was using it as a clutch until reminded he is not the God of Hammers.

Grey Wolf
    So you're saying that the real reference is Malack's staff!

26. - Top - End - #596
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    More than a little

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

A bunch of dwarves dying honorably in battle to save the world from evil isn’t really a great tragedy.
    No, the tragedy is that it is the best possible scenario for their afterlives. But their lives would still be cut tragically short.

Grey Wolf

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

So you're saying that the real reference is Malack's staff!
    He barely had a staff...He had, like, two assistants? Maybe a third?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

29. - Top - End - #599
    Titan in the Playground

And since no-one but the strawmen you create is arguing in favour of forced marriage, why do you keep creating said strawmen?
    We go back to my earlier point on underbridge dwelling.

Strange. Only an absolute psychopath would think that is a foregone conclusion. But you keep insisting you ain't one, so why would you think that is the correct conclusion?
    Because, though it is my moral duty to argue against the naturalization of forced marriage and victim-blaming
    Really? When nobody is arguing for that? Why do you have such "moral duty" when that isn't even a topic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Preposterous. You have no moral duty to post online, and even if you did, your own victim-blaming has ruined your credibility as a moral arguer.
    Said better than I could have.
    Well, someone compared the Hilgya conversation to the Miko conversation, and I found another throughline: the most ardent defenders of each keep assigning responsibility for their continued participation in the argument to other people.
    I made that comparison recently, perhaps ill advisdely. Mea Culpa.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I'll make things easier: think of me as the lawyer for a rape victim that, in a scenario with no rape shield laws, when the opposition begins to question what she was wearing, begins, in turn, to argue that the family of the defendant should be executed.