New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1162 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Then in saying genocide is not a big deal I'm not arguing for genocide either!

You can't have it both ways. You can't cover up for a guy arguing that Hilgya was only forced to sit through a ceremony when defending what they did to her and then turn around and claim that saying genocide is not a big deal is not a defense of genocide!
    I can, because Keltest qualified an individual scenario without defending it, while you constantly defend your genocidal solutions to every problem.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I can, because Keltest qualified an individual scenario without defending it, while you constantly defend your genocidal solutions to every problem.

Grey Wolf
    Keltest's assertion that forced marriage may be acceptable in some scenarios and that it's not a big deal in that particular one is way further beyond the pale than anything I ever said.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ogre in the Playground

Keltest's assertion that forced marriage may be acceptable in some scenarios and that it's not a big deal in that particular one is way further beyond the pale than anything I ever said.
    Let's make this clear: You believe forced marriage is worse then mass murder? Genuinely?

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Given your demonstrated unwillingness to understand or respond to words that have actually been said, im not sure what point you think youre making here. Much like Hilgya, your claims of what others have or have not done simply have no value.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Let's make this clear: You believe forced marriage is worse then mass murder? Genuinely?
    No, he doesn't, he's trying to derail everything because he's mad at people.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

Keltest's assertion that forced marriage may be acceptable in some scenarios
    There you go again, putting words in people's mouths.

that it's not a big deal in that particular one
    And again.

Do I take it, then, that you admit that Keltest did not in fact argue in favour of forced marriages?

is way further beyond the pale than anything I ever said.
    You routinely call for genocide. Your self-serving assertion is thus found baseless.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Why wouldn't I? There are people that believe it can conceivably be reasonable, or the victim's fault, or that it's not a big deal if the victim manages to escape...

You routinely call for genocide.
    It could be worse, I could be relativizing forced marriage.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-02 at 01:09 PM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    No, he doesn't, he's trying to derail everything because he's mad at people.
    I'm still not sure why he can't just leave. You wanna know how many arranged marriage-related arguments i've seen start without his involvement? NONE.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Barbarian in the Playground

Forced marriage is worse than genocide anyways.
    This is blatantly offensive. You're either trolling or deranged, or perhaps even both.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Titan in the Playground

Why wouldn't I? There are people that believe it can conceivably be reasonable, or the victim's fault, or that it's not a big deal if the victim manages to escape...
    There are also people who think genocide can conceivably be reasonable, or the victim's fault, or that it's not a big deal if the victim at one point was forced to marry into the group.

Namely, you think that.

Grey Wolf

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    This is blatantly offensive. You're either trolling or deranged, or perhaps even both.
    Well, forced marriage is, as we all know, the ultimate and absolute form of evil.

There are also people who think genocide can conceivably be reasonable, or the victim's fault, or that it's not a big deal if the victim at one point was forced to marry into the group.

Namely, you think that.

Grey Wolf
    Sure, but at least it's not forced marriage.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-02 at 01:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

That...That's not actually a good reason to believe that, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Aboleth View Post
    He's running on pure spite at this point. Apparently, The Weirdo is not a believer in de-escalation.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Apparently, The Weirdo is not a believer in de-escalation.
    Both on a personal and on a public level, I've seen it tried and failed quite often.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, forced marriage is, as we all know, the ultimate and absolute form of evil.

Sure, but at least it's not forced marriage.
    You know, if you're not gonna take this argument seriously, why should anyone?
    Both on a personal and on a public level, I've seen it tried and failed quite often.
    ...I'm morbidly curious on the backstory to that comment, if only so I can understand the Escher painting that is your mind.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2019-05-02 at 01:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

You know, if you're not gonna take this argument seriously, why should anyone?
    Serious. Not serious. I'm the guy that isn't having to argue against forced marriage now.

...I'm morbidly curious on the backstory to that comment, if only so I can understand the Escher painting that is your mind.
    Politics is banned in the forum, but it turns out that, when you remain sane and the other side gets more and more insane, the other side often wins.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-02 at 01:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ogre in the Playground

Serious. Not serious. I'm the guy that isn't having to argue against forced marriage now.
    A goal you could, as I stated, also accomplish by NOT POSTING.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2019-05-02 at 01:19 PM.

17. - Top - End - #677
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As others have pointed out, the argument only ever comes up when you bring it up. If you find yourself regularly arguing about it, perhaps you should consider your own role in doing so.

To say nothing of the fact that you demonstrably are continuing to argue about it, given the number of times on this page alone you've said it was wrong.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

I'm the guy that isn't having to argue against forced marriage now.
    No, you are the guy falsely claiming others are defending forced marriage (which no-one has done) as a way to declare yourself morally superior. While also defending genocide.

Grey Wolf

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ogre in the Playground

Politics is banned in the forum, but it turns out that, when you remain sane and the other side gets more and more insane, the other side often wins.
    My GOD. You realize that extremist positions aren't always correct or winning ones, right?

20. - Top - End - #680
    Barbarian in the Playground

He's running on pure spite at this point. Apparently, The Weirdo is not a believer in de-escalation.
    My Report button is getting a workout. For all The_Weirdo's talk about oppressors, he can't fathom that saying things like "Genocide is a reasonable solution!" might be oppressive to other forum members who have a sensitivity to genocidal maniacs. Funny, that.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

My GOD. You realize that extremist positions aren't always correct or winning ones, right?
    And yet, when only one side holds an extremist position, they often end up in power and the sane side has to deal with, say, having a president that openly defends dictatorships and has called for civil wars and mass shootings! And then it turns out that, maybe, just maybe, if the other side had escalated instead of just going "Oh you crazy, but let's not call for your physical elimination", the depraved lunatic in question might not be in power!

You know. Hypothetically. In, say, Artemis Fowl or something.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll make things easier: think of me as the lawyer for a rape victim that, in a scenario with no rape shield laws, when the opposition begins to question what she was wearing, begins, in turn, to argue that the family of the defendant should be executed.
    That would reflect poorly on you as either a lawyer or a victim's advocate. But just to be clear: You are not that. You are a poster online arguing over a work of fiction.

If you want to fight oppression, go fight actual oppression, but stop kidding yourself that posting on a web comic forum is the same thing.

Oh, Kel might think I'm an *******, but he'll learn the valuable lesson that arguing in favor of forced marriage will always yield having to argue against genocide too.
    All he's actually learned is that discussing this or any other topic with you is a waste of time.

Well, a derailed argument is one in which I don't have to keep arguing against forced marriage. Forced marriage is worse than genocide anyways.
    You don't HAVE to do anything. You CHOOSE to do these things. Stop trying to offload YOUR choices as the responsibility of others.

Birmingham, AL - the AL is Alabama.

Not Birmingham, UK.
    I think I saw in US News' rankings of cities that Birmingham was a top destination to live. It surprised me, but I'm guessing it's a combination of cheap cost of living plus space jobs.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

And yet, when only one side holds an extremist position, they often end up in power and the sane side has to deal with, say, having a president that openly defends dictatorships and has called for civil wars and mass shootings! And then it turns out that, maybe, just maybe, if the other side had escalated instead of just going "Oh you crazy, but let's not call for your physical elimination", the depraved lunatic in question might not be in power!

You know. Hypothetically. In, say, Artemis Fowl or something.
    Well, is your goal to win an argument, or to fight for what you believe? And, yes, I know what you're referencing.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Whatever. The Firehelms still deserve to die horribly and spend eternity under the cares of Hel. One by one.
    Including the firehelm who aren't directly or indirectly related with the forced marriage? , even the children?

You full your mouth with moral superiority, but you agree, even celebrate, the deaths and damnation of an entire clan. Either you are trolling or you are acting like an hipocrite (that is not ab aseveration of your character as whole, i don't know you, but of your actions on this topic) .

If your aim is to argue against forced marriage (a topic about noone is advocating) or to defend a fictional character (something childish and unnecessary), i tell you again, you are getting the opposite with your straw mans and mischaracterizarion of the opinions of other forumites. I like Hilgya as an anti-heroe figure but you are not helping.
    Last edited by Spanish_Paladin; 2019-05-02 at 01:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #685
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Well, is your goal to win an argument, or to fight for what you believe? And, yes, I know what you're referencing.
    My goal is not to be oppressed, first. So winning the argument or preventing the crazy side from getting to make it for fear of what the sane side might do if it does is a good tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish_Paladin View Post
    Including the firehelm who aren't directly or indirectly related with the forced marriage? , even the children?

You full your mouth with moral superiority, but you agree, even celebrate, the deaths and damnation of an entire clan. Either you are trolling or you are acting like an hipocrite (that is not ab aseveration of your character as whole, i don't know you, but of your actions on this topic) .

If your aim is to argue against forced marriage (who noone is advocating) or to defend a fictional character (something childish and unnecessary), i tell you again, you are getting the opposite with your straw mans and mischaracterizarion of the opinions of other forumites. I like Hilgya as an anti-heroe figure but you are not helping.
    Pretending a forced marriage is just forcing someone to sit through a ceremony is advocating forced marriage.
    Conjuring up baseless scenarios in which it is justified is advocating forced marriage.

If Keltest doesn't believe either of these things, it would be easy for him to write as follows:

"I do believe that forced marriage is always a very grave moral wrong and never justified".
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-02 at 01:29 PM.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ogre in the Playground

My goal is not to be oppressed, first. So winning the argument or preventing the crazy side from getting to make it for fear of what the sane side might do if it does is a good tactic.
    Yes, but is there such a thing as an illegitimate tactic to you, or just illegitimate targets?

27. - Top - End - #687
    Banned

Artemis Fowl is a timely, apt, and pertinent series.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ettin in the Playground

My goal is not to be oppressed, first.
    Well, not only is no one on this forum oppressing you, I don't think anything you post on it will make a difference one way or another as to whether you are actually oppressed. So your stated goals and the tactics you evidently use to achieve them don't match at all.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Its interesting that you think that, given that every example you put forward as an analogy ended up with you being fired and/or arrested.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Artemis Fowl is a timely, apt, and pertinent series.
    I think he's a refferacing a certain situation in his native country which I will not get into for fear of the no-politics rule. Suffice to say, if he wants to change things there, fair enough. I'm just not sure how arguing for genocide on a webcomic forum figures into it.