New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 318192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1162 - The Discussion Thread

Ok, that one can't discuss whatever topics in private is one thing (an odd choice, but whatever).

But that "private" messages can just be read by Mods is *really* a little more than awkward I must say.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That's not a useful distinction. Does Jabba count? He suffers under the rule of the Empire as much as the rebels do. The imperials took over his planet, after all.
    Jabba gets to do as he sees fit to everyone from the Empire and anyone that suffered under Jabba gets to do as they see fit to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What about those who belong to both? Like say, Kallus? or Mara Jade?
    Depends on who they work for at the time.

To be sure, I don't know much about Star Wars.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-03 at 12:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Jabba gets to do as he sees fit to everyone from the Empire and anyone that suffered under Jabba gets to do as they see fit to him.

Depends on who they work for at the time.

To be sure, I don't know much about Star Wars.
    For context, Jabba is a gangster who practices slavery and feeds people to his pet monster, among other horrible things. Within his sphere, he is at least as bad as the Empire.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Ok, that one can't discuss whatever topics in private is one thing (an odd choice, but whatever).

But that "private" messages can just be read by Mods is *really* a little more than awkward I must say.
    All posts, PMs and reports in this forum end up in the same DB. Of course they can read them, if they want. That's what mod powers means.

None of which is particularly relevant, since the reason I won't send you a PM is because I won't knowingly break the rules, even if I don't expect to be caught.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #815
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What about those who belong to both? Like say, Kallus? or Mara Jade?
    I'm wondering where Weirdo stands on the Dominion. They're literally and explicitly trying to conquer the galaxy because they were previously hunted, and what they control can't hurt them.

(There's essentially no chance of him having an answer that I would respect or consider any better than the other extreme, because such an answer would require an understanding of complexity he has seemingly taken pride in screaming that he does not possess. But I'm idly curious which of the two extreme positions he's capable of holding is the one he comes down on there. I'm guessing he tosses them in with the Cardassians, because he didn't see the Founders be victimized on-camera.)

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

For context, Jabba is a gangster who practices slavery and feeds people to his pet monster, among other horrible things. Within his sphere, he is at least as bad as the Empire.
    Sure. And, as I said, he gets to do as he sees fit to the Empire. And everyone under his yolk gets to do as they see fit to him and his.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    I'm wondering where Weirdo stands on the Dominion. They're literally and explicitly trying to conquer the galaxy because they were previously hunted, and what they control can't hurt them.

(There's essentially no chance of him having an answer that I would respect or consider any better than the other extreme, because such an answer would require an understanding of complexity he has seemingly taken pride in screaming that he does not possess. But I'm idly curious which of the two extreme positions he's capable of holding is the one he comes down on there. I'm guessing he tosses them in with the Cardassians, because he didn't see the Founders be victimized on-camera.)
    The humans didn't victimize the Founders, so the Founders are fair game. Besides, they're imperialists. All empires - say, in fiction - are evil.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-03 at 12:47 PM.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sure. And, as I said, he gets to do as he sees fit to the Empire. And everyone under his yolk gets to do as they see fit to him and his.
    Why does he suddenly gain protection from the empire? Are they not allowed to rescue people from being fed to monsters? Do the bad things he does suddenly become less bad because theyre against a Designated Target?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #818
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    All posts, PMs and reports in this forum end up in the same DB. Of course they can read them, if they want. That's what mod powers means.

None of which is particularly relevant, since the reason I won't send you a PM is because I won't knowingly break the rules, even if I don't expect to be caught.

Grey Wolf
    Oh, I don't ask or want you to circumvent forum rules.
    If it's forbidden, it is sadly forbidden and I won't get any wise, unfortunately.

It just weirds me out that private messages are not private. I find that disturbing.
    I thought databases had encryptions so that mods/admins could delete stuff or for example *reset* passwords, but not, for example, *read* those passwords.
    Boytoy of the -Fan-Club
    What? It's not my fault we don't get a good-aligned female paragon of promiscuity!

I heard Blue is the color of irony on the internet.

I once fought against a dozen people defending a lady - until the mods took me down in the end.
    Want to see my prison tatoo?

*Branded for double posting*
    Sometimes, being bad feels so good.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Why does he suddenly gain protection from the empire? Are they not allowed to rescue people from being fed to monsters? Do the bad things he does suddenly become less bad because theyre against a Designated Target?
    Oppressors are not morally allowed to do anything. Turns out that, when you attack entire worlds, you lose the right to complain when your people get fed to monsters.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oppressors are not morally allowed to do anything. Turns out that, when you attack entire worlds, you lose the right to complain when your people get fed to monsters.
    But you just said Jabba could do whatever he wanted to the Empire. But he lost the right to complain when somebody comes in and stops him from doing what he wants.

Which is it?

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

But you just said Jabba could do whatever he wanted to the Empire. But he lost the right to complain when somebody comes in and stops him from doing what he wants.

Which is it?
    Basically, whatever harm befalls the Empire coming from whatever source couldn't happen to better people.

Whatever harm befalls Jabba coming from the Rebels is good; coming from the Empire, it's bad.

Whatever harm befalls the Rebels is bad.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Basically, whatever harm befalls the Empire coming from whatever source couldn't happen to better people.

Whatever harm befalls Jabba coming from the Rebels is good; coming from the Empire, it's bad.

Whatever harm befalls the Rebels is bad.
    But why is it bad coming from the Empire? He's an oppressor; by your own measure, he needs to be stopped by any means necessary.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

But why is it bad coming from the Empire? He's an oppressor; by your own measure, he needs to be stopped by any means necessary.
    The Empire is a bigger one - not to mention a Lawful one.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The Empire is a bigger one - not to mention a Lawful one.
    So? "by any means necessary" doesn't mean "unless I don't like the help."

15. - Top - End - #825

The humans didn't victimize the Founders, so the Founders are fair game.
    Section 31 victimised the Founders before the war even started:

Spoiler
    Show
    by infecting Odo early in Season 4, with the intention of Odo infecting the Founders.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

So? "by any means necessary" doesn't mean "unless I don't like the help."
    Eh, sure. Then the two can destroy one another and the only truly decent people around are the rebels. But Jabba is still morally superior to the Empire.

17. - Top - End - #827

He might be morally superior to Palpatine, but not to almost anyone else in the movies.

I think it's safe to say that Piett or Jerjerrod, are better people than Jabba.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2019-05-03 at 01:04 PM.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightymosy View Post
    Oh, I don't ask or want you to circumvent forum rules.
    If it's forbidden, it is sadly forbidden and I won't get any wise, unfortunately.

It just weirds me out that private messages are not private. I find that disturbing.
    I thought databases had encryptions so that mods/admins could delete stuff or for example *reset* passwords, but not, for example, *read* those passwords.
    Passwords are (hopefully) both encrypted and salted. But those operations are horrendouly expensive computationally. Worth it for a string of between 6 and, say, a couple hundred characters, and a volume of 1/member. Completely unfeasible for PMs that could be tens of thousands of characters long, and literally hundreds per user.

Also, the mods have said that if asked to investigate a PM, they do request permission from the person asking before they read the PMs (they do need to verify the PM exists). So while they have the power, the mods here are choosing to be mindful of your privacy - they have the power, and choose not to use it.

ETA: also, you should be aware that the password encryption is non-reversible. Once encrypted, nothing can un-encrypt it. That's why passwords can't be sent back to you and have to be reset if you forget. Very secure, but not terribly useful to anything you'd want to be able to read after you've first created it.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2019-05-03 at 01:09 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    He might be morally superior to Palpatine, but not to almost anyone else in the movies.

I think it's safe to say that Piett or Jerjerrod, are better people than Jabba.
    Not if they work for the Empire, they aren't.

20. - Top - End - #830

Jabba's oppression of his slaves is as brutal as the Empire's oppression of it's slaves - it is just on a smaller scale.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Jabba's oppression of his slaves is as brutal as the Empire's oppression of it's slaves - it is just on a smaller scale.
    Sure. But the Empire is evil on a much larger scale. It, like all imperialistic entities, has oppression at its core.

At least Jabba's goal is only profit, not to impose that kind of order.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Not if they work for the Empire, they aren't.
    Those janitors on the Death Star definitely deserved what was coming to them when it exploded.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Those janitors on the Death Star definitely deserved what was coming to them when it exploded.
    Well, they worked for the Empire. The Empire is an empire, is evil and is oppresive. So, yeah, I'm not shedding tears for these guys.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-03 at 01:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Well, they worked for the Empire. The Empire is an empire, is evil and is oppresive. So, yeah, I'm not shedding tears for these guys.
    And so did those conscripted construction worker on the second Death Star!

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

And so did those conscripted construction worker on the second Death Star!
    If you're conscripted, you should sabotage your own side.

26. - Top - End - #836

You don't need to "shed tears" to acknowledge that there's a scale, and the ordinary people who work for the Empire and who don't know just how evil it is - are better people than the Jabbas of that universe.

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

You don't need to "shed tears" to acknowledge that there's a scale, and the ordinary people who work for the Empire and who don't know just how evil it is - are better people than the Jabbas of that universe.
    Doesn't mean killing those people is any wronger than killing the Jabbas. Or the Hutts, as I recall.

Empires are evil and oppressive. So they must be destroyed.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

If you're conscripted, you should sabotage your own side.
    Yeah, how dare they don't throw away their lives and those of their families and coworkers for the glory of the Resistance!

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Yeah, how dare they don't throw away their lives and those of their families and coworkers for the glory of the Resistance!
    Well, if they don't, they don't get to complain that they get killed by the right side of history.

30. - Top - End - #840

Doesn't mean killing those people is any wronger than killing the Jabbas.
    Why do you think Saw Gerrara in Rogue One is considered a renegade by the rest of the Rebellion? Because he kills "ordinary Imperial civilians".

What makes the Rebels sympathetic is that they don't slaughter all Imperials they come across "for being Imperial".