New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Default Re: OOTS #1162 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Why do you think Saw Gerrara in Rogue One is considered a renegade by the rest of the Rebellion? Because he kills "ordinary Imperial civilians".

What makes the Rebels sympathetic is that they don't slaughter all Imperials they come across "for being Imperial".
    Yeah, well, y'know, living under the Empire means you support the Empire, obviously. Otherwise you'd be sabotaging them every second of your life. So don't you dare complain when the righteous Rebellion blows up your workplace because you happen to live on an Imperial-run planet!

You should have blown it up yourself long ago!
    Last edited by Resileaf; 2019-05-03 at 01:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Why do you think Saw Gerrara in Rogue One is considered a renegade by the rest of the Rebellion? Because he kills "ordinary Imperial civilians".

What makes the Rebels sympathetic is that they don't slaughter all Imperials they come across "for being Imperial".
    What makes the Rebels sympathetic to me is that they did not start it. That the Empire is, by definition, oppressive and seeking to impose its order on the galaxy. Etc.

The Empire literally destroys inhabited planets.

Everyone in the Empire is a legitimate target.
    Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacuna Caster View Post
    Weirdo... I'm not sure you're entirely clear on how an 'alliance' works.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Colossus in the Playground

Section 31 victimised the Founders before the war even started:

Spoiler
    Show
    by infecting Odo early in Season 4, with the intention of Odo infecting the Founders.
    Also, humans are part of the Alpha Quadrant clan, of which the Romulans and the Cardassians attempted genocide against the Founders. The human species is as culpable as any random Firehelm.

That said, I post this only for my own amusement, as you replied exactly as I had predicted you would when I asked the question.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The_Weirdo View Post
    Hey, as long as we're here, do you know the Tormenta setting? If you do, you likely know my take on the minotaurs.
    I don't quite like Tormenta. Who am I fooling? I detest it. I liked the magazine it was originated in, until:

1) I perceived many things they "created" was in fact just translation from foreign material, uncredited (I wouldn't have had any problem if they said: "Guys, we are translating some material here that would be hard for you to get your hands into", but saying nothing and making us think they created that is a character flaw, at least in my opinion)

2) They started to do all things Tormenta, to the point of me getting sick of it.

3) They started to use most of their space to promote the game systen they created (3D&T), which I won't call bad because to be just bad it would have to improve a million years. I liked D&T and AD&T, because they were never intended to be serious and played with themes I loved. 3D&T, however, intended to be a generic system, and it was good to absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by D.One; 2019-05-03 at 01:32 PM.
    Each one of us, alone, is but a drop in the sea
    Our powers pale compared with the great heroes
    Our battles don’t hit theheadlines or shake the earth
    But they are few, can’t be everywhere, and we, many
    So, when the world or universe needs saving, they come
    But when people needs saving, we are the ones to appear
    We're underdogs, but we rise up to the challenge to be heroes.
    (Wishing Joe, a low-powered superhero)

"I really like the Geek Math'ology we do here"

5. - Top - End - #845
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    I don't quite like Tormenta. Who am I fooling? I detest it. I liked the magazine it was originated in, until:

1) I perceived many things they "created" was in fact just translation from foreign material, uncredited (I wouldn't have had any problem if they said: "Guys, we are translating some material here that would be hard for you to get your hands into", but saying nothing and making us think they created that is a character flaw, at least in my opinion)

2) They started to do all things Tormenta, to the point of me getting sick of it.

3) They started to use most of their space to promote the game systen they created (3D&T), which I won't call bad because to be just bad it would have to improve a million years. I liked D&T and AD&T, because they never intended to be serious and played with themes I loved. 3D&T, however, intended to be a generic system, and it was good to absolutely nothing.
    Eh, things are improving on those fronts, I think.

I love Tormenta, but my main beef is them making the Minotaurs, for all they do and are, Lawful Neutral.
    Oh Lord, somebody said "The_Weirdo" three times into a mirror again, didn't they?

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

You could still shed tears for the saboteurs, though. First they're oppressed by the Empire, then they get blown up by fellow anti-Empire people while trying to tear the Empire down from the inside.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eh, things are improving on those fronts, I think.
    Maybe, but the damage is done, I think. Nowadays, my RPG priorities are very far from "giving Tormenta another chance".

8. - Top - End - #848
    Bugbear in the Playground

What makes the Rebels sympathetic to me is that they did not start it. That the Empire is, by definition, oppressive and seeking to impose its order on the galaxy. Etc.

Me: "Oh hey, I haven't looked at the discussion threads in a while, I should see what's going on - "

The_Weirdo: *advocating war crimes*

Me:
    Last edited by rooster707; 2019-05-03 at 01:39 PM. Reason: fixin' punctuation
    Vitruvian Stickman avatar by linklele.
    I have an extended signature now. God knows why.
    Spoiler: shameless self-aggrandizing
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    What this guy said.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by D.One View Post
    Maybe, but the damage is done, I think. Nowadays, my RPG priorities are very far from "giving Tormenta another chance".
    Oh, I'm absolutely not trying to convince you to. I'm just saying. And hey, I'm not blind to the flaws either. Even besides the "The sexual slavers are Lawful Neutral" bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    You could still shed tears for the saboteurs, though. First they're oppressed by the Empire, then they get blown up by fellow anti-Empire people while trying to tear the Empire down from the inside.
    For them, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by rooster707 View Post
    Me: "Oh hey, I haven't looked at the discussion threads in a while, I should see what's going on - "

The_Weirdo: *advocating war crimes*

Me:
    Well, the Empire did them first.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-03 at 01:41 PM.

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

If the problem is the empire doing war crimes, why is perpetuating them a valid solution? If that's not the problem, why is it a valid solution?

Basically, war crimes are bad. That's why they call them crimes.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I'm absolutely not trying to convince you to. I'm just saying. And hey, I'm not blind to the flaws either. Even besides the "The sexual slavers are Lawful Neutral" bit.

For them, yes.

"He started it" is not actually a valid moral defence. Being a Good person means there are certain tactics you're not supposed to use, like, say, targeting civilians, even if they may be effective.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    "He started it" is not actually a valid moral defence. Being a Good person means there are certain tactics you're not supposed to use, like, say, targeting civilians, even if they may be effective.
    And lets be honest, T_W is not advocating them because they are effective.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

I think it's obvious that Weirdo doesn't care about being a good person.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    If the problem is the empire doing war crimes, why is perpetuating them a valid solution? If that's not the problem, why is it a valid solution?

Basically, war crimes are bad. That's why they call them crimes.
    No, you call something a crime when it's illegal - good, bad or neutral.

I'll settle for "Neutral and not oppressed by the people who did, in fact, start it, and, in starting it, caused every reaction to what they did".

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

And theyre illegal because theyre bad.

I'll settle for "Neutral and not oppressed by the people who did, in fact, start it, and, in starting it, caused every reaction to what they did".
    Youre falling pretty far from that goal then. Neutrality is pretty definitionally incompatible with genocide.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

For a Chaotic person, you seem to have a lax understanding of free will. Like, this reasoning of “you MADE me hurt you” or, rather, “you made me hurt other people”... I understand you’ve faced trauma in the past. Surely you see what that sounds like?

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For a Chaotic person, you seem to have a lax understanding of free will. Like, this reasoning of “you MADE me hurt you” or, rather, “you made me hurt other people”... I understand you’ve faced trauma in the past. Surely you see what that sounds like?
    As is regularly pointed out, what he believes to be a chaotic neutral paradise is in actuality a lawful evil dictatorship, usually run by hilgya or himself.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

And theyre illegal because theyre bad.
    That is a pretty naive view.

Youre falling pretty far from that goal then. Neutrality is pretty definitionally incompatible with genocide.
    Well, the Empire is evil.

Chaotic Neutrals care first and foremost about their own freedom. They will react however they deem fit in order to preserve it. That the Empire of the day failed to grasp that is its own fault.
    Last edited by The_Weirdo; 2019-05-03 at 01:54 PM.

19. - Top - End - #859

Plus, "he started it" lends itself way too well to relativism to actually be established as an absolute fact, never mind its validity as a moral defense.

For instance, say we have an argument between Alice and Bob...

Alice: *smacks Bob*
    Bob: What the hell?!
    Alice: That's for stealing my shampoo.
    Bob: I did that because you stole my shampoo.
    Alice: I did that because you forgot to pick mine up at the store the other day!
    Bob: I didn't forget, Carl didn't have any in stock!
    Carl: Don't blame me, my supplier went out of business.
    Supplier: Goddamn stockholders flaked on me.
    Stockholders: *clamor of excuses and buck-passing*

So who actually "started it"? Carl for not securing another supplier? Bob for not going to another store? Alice for not getting her own freaking shampoo? An unknowable class of stockholders who failed to support the supplier in its time of need? The supplier himself for unstable business practices? Whoever the stockholders decide is responsible? And does any of this justify Alice smacking Bob? (Hint: Hell no.)
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

20. - Top - End - #860
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That is a pretty naive view.

Well, the Empire is evil.

Chaotic Neutrals care first and foremost about their own freedom. They will react however they deem fit in order to preserve it. That the Empire of the day failed to grasp that is its own fault.
    Its not naïve, its just fact. A group like the Empire wont make their own tactics illegal, for obvious reasons, even if they don't want other people to use them, so they don't consider them war crimes.

Also, "do evil unto evil" is not a neutral position, its an evil position.

And finally, only Chaotic Evil cares about its own freedom to that degree. Chaotic Neutral cares about the freedoms of others as well, in the abstract, and is defined primarily by the fact that they DONT go very far out of their way to defend them, as opposed to CG which will, or CE, which wont do so at all except by accident or coincidence.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    Snip.
    Isn't it pretty straightforward in SW, though? The Empire decided to impose its order on the galaxy by force and the good guys are reacting.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Titan in the Playground

Aldeeran was an imperial planet. According to you everyone on it deserved to die. Therefore the Empire did nothing wrong.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't it pretty straightforward in SW, though? The Empire decided to impose its order on the galaxy by force and the good guys are reacting.
    Most of the Imperials were reacted to the war crimes of the CSI which was itself responding to the abuses and neglect of the Old Republic. Yes most of this was the Sith at work but most people in the galaxy do not know that.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, if you dig a little bit more in the (Expanded Universe) past, you may discover the Sith had suffered their own destruction and may be the real victims by your definition.

In fact, with all their enphasis on channeling their strong emotions, they are much closer to Chaotic than the heroes.

25. - Top - End - #865

That's one arguable view, yes, but it neglects the Prequels and background material. Anakin/Vader was manipulated by Palpatine (with strong implications that his connecting so strongly to the Dark Side made him more vulnerable to Palpatine's machinations, and he did that because of what happened to his mother), who in turn was taken in and most likely corrupted by Darth Plagueis (the Wise, but that's not a story the Jedi will tell you), and who was as successful as he was because the Republic Senate was divided and bickering amongst itself, as senates are wont to do. Given how much of the Rebellion's upper ranks are made up of ex-senators, there's an argument to be made that it was the Rebellion was ultimately responsible for the rise of the Empire... and given that Palpatine grew up in the Republic, most any hardship he may have endured growing up can be safely attributed to them, in some form or another.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

26. - Top - End - #866
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

TW's position is so untenable, illogical and downright absurd I'm surprised people are still arguing against it. It's obvious that he/she/it is not interested in discussion, but just in stirring the pot.

Must... not... bite... MUST... NOT... BITE... hnggngnngngng

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Last edited by Cazero; 2019-05-03 at 02:14 PM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

28. - Top - End - #868

Quote Originally Posted by terodil View Post
    TW's position is so untenable, illogical and downright absurd I'm surprised people are still arguing against it. It's obvious that he/she/it is not interested in discussion, but just in stirring the pot.

Must... not... bite... MUST... NOT... BITE... hnggngnngngng
    Delusional though he may be, the guy does still spark discussion and we still get to throw out our own views on the associated events. His philosophy is so obviously wrong that it demands the immediate production of a few dozen more reasonable viewpoints, which ain't so bad in terms of discussion. You might think of his opinions as fertilizer, if that helps.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

I’m doing it out of:
    40% stubbornness
    30% boredom
    30% bile fascination.
    Forum Wisdom

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

This might well be the most repugnant thing you've ever said so far.
    ungelic is us