New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schmuck Bait

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Schmuck Bait

I need help making a schmuck bait for a dungeon in my campaign. You know, the trap that’s left in plain sight, but is hard to resist. I want to have one as a setup to an ambush.
    Last edited by HamsterKun; 2019-04-30 at 09:07 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Schmuck Bait

I think we'll need more detail about the dungeon, the ambushers, and the like to really help. Are these kobolds in a jungle? Fremen in a desert? Half-elven bandits lurking in the corners of their lair after being followed back to it by adventurers avenging a caravan they've robbed? Goblin wererats in a musty sewer?

The most generic schmuck bait is anything valuable - a chest of coins, a bejeweled chalice, a glowing sword or other weapon - sitting on a plinth in the middle of a pit, with a rickety bridge or similar leading up to it. Or just sitting amidst out-of-place straw strewn over the floor in a 20 ft. radius around it (poorly concealing a pit trap).

Making the "treasure" a mimic would let the ambushers trap any schmucks who get to the treasure in that precarious, open position.

If you're in a medieval castle-like dungeon, you can make it less obvious but still pretty suspicious by having the whole dungeon use strewn rushes as the standard flooring, but this room has, beneath the rushes, a honeycomb of pits and narrow paths. Works especially well if the dwellers have tremorsense, so they can feel where the pits are when walking. The chest or other loot is in the middle of this large room, and ambushers can traipse all over the floor because they know where to stand safely, while anybody who doesn't will fall through into the pit traps when they step on the wrong rushes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

A lever with a sign saying "Trap lever, do not pull".

It worked with my players.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    Making the "treasure" a mimic would let the ambushers trap any schmucks who get to the treasure in that precarious, open position.
    What I thought of is where there’s a lever that says “DO NOT PULL THIS SWITCH” in Draconic. Pulling the switch drops a treasure chest, which everyone fears is a trap, but ultimately isn’t.

...Only for a gelatinous cube to ambush the group.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterKun View Post
    What I thought of is where there’s a lever that says “DO NOT PULL THIS SWITCH” in Draconic. Pulling the switch drops a treasure chest, which everyone fears is a trap, but ultimately isn’t.

...Only for a gelatinous cube to ambush the group.
    Have the gelatinous cube drop in thirty seconds or a minute after the lever is first pulled. The players will probably wait a couple of rounds when the treasure drops to see if there's something up with it, while the rogue checks the chest for traps, at which point they'll probably lower their guard and start searching the chest for valuables, and then the cube lands on top of them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Just have a big red button with a skull on it in the middle of the room with nothing else. It doesn't actually do anything in this room, but it arms a whole bunch of other traps in the next room, and re-arms anything they already triggered or disabled that could plausibly be rearmed by it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Just have a big red button with a skull on it in the middle of the room with nothing else. It doesn't actually do anything in this room, but it arms a whole bunch of other traps in the next room, and re-arms anything they already triggered or disabled that could plausibly be rearmed by it.
    Better still, make it a big red wheel with spokes that has to be turned manually and with great effort. The mechanisms don't have a magically-refilling power source: you have to provide the elbow-grease yourself by turning the wheel to reset/arm them all. A satisfying set of clicks and clanks occur as you turn it, terminating with a definitive and resounding clunk when it is done.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Resileaf View Post
    Have the gelatinous cube drop in thirty seconds or a minute after the lever is first pulled. The players will probably wait a couple of rounds when the treasure drops to see if there's something up with it, while the rogue checks the chest for traps, at which point they'll probably lower their guard and start searching the chest for valuables, and then the cube lands on top of them.
    “Um...guys...?”
    “Hey, watchya waiting for?”
    “If that thing can squeeze through that hole in the ceiling, ...let alone that door.”
    “...Uh-oh...”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Two large, wooden signs next to each other on a red rug. The area is well lit by the various torches in the room.

One says: "That sign is a mimic".
    The other says: "Nuh uh! He is!"

They're both signs. The rug underneath them is a mimic.
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-04-30 at 05:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I got my party once (nearly, stupid mage hand legerdemain) with a obvious, poorly guarded vault door. Behind it, a wall with the words "I prepared explosive runes" written on it.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

there is an obscure artifact in the shape of a crown; if you put it on someone else, you dominate person on them. if you put it on yourself, you die and the artifact is destroied.

we got that crown without an instruction manual. guess what we tried to do to figure out what it does?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Sword in a stone?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
    sword in a stone?
    (insert relevant soul eater reference here)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Lou Zocchi once told me about a trap that might fit. There's a lit wall sconce with a sign next to it that says "Whoever touches the lamp dies". That's it.

Touch it? Dead.
    Poke it with a stick? Dead.
    Hit it with your sword? Dead.

There's no trick to it. There's nothing to figure out. It's not solvable. Just leave it alone because you die if you mess with it.

That stupid thing has a huge pile of corpses in front of it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

A room at the end of a hallway, with the entrance being the only way in or out. Inscriptions of various languages are etched into the walls all around the room, all saying the same thing.

"Overthink"

The room doesn't do anything. It's just a dead end. See how long it takes your players to give up of trying to find the room's 'trick' or secret answer.

If their in there long enough, it can be used as the site for a wandering encounter, but otherwise the room has NOTHING.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
    Sword in a stone?
    My players were once searching for a particular sword - had been asking all the sages and all the tavern keepers. So at one point, in some random cave, they turn a corner and enter a large chamber.

In this chamber, a marble pedestal sits right in the center, and suspended above it is a sword matching the description they've given - in a ray of brilliant light from on high. There might have been a chorus of angels too.

It triggered ready actions and perception checks all around the table, I'm happy to say =)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

The magic items dropped by the bad guys were cursed and did not harm undead (the dominant enemy type).

Multiple different PCs in a row on the same dungeon level promptly picked-up magic items that were just dropped when a mini-boss died. Paralysis curses, effectively.

18. - Top - End - #18

Oh I just remembered one. Has to be my friend who ran a session for his group, and they encountered a 'discount magic item merchant'. They checked out a few things, picked out what they liked... then killed the guy and stole everything. Only things is, as you probably guessed, there was a reason said items were on discount. Every single one was cursed, some dramatically. The DM expected they'd buy one or two, so he had some variety prepared, but noooooo, they had to be murderhobos. Serves them right I guess.
    If you need me for anything, or I forgot about something, PM me and I'll see it.
    Undead- er, undying gratitude to linklele for the avatar.
    Quote Originally Posted by frogglesmash View Post
    I guess I'll amend my original statement and instead say that Pathfinder is close enough to 3.5 to spark an argument about how close it actually is.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

A plain table; on the table is a clearly-labeled Deck of Many Things.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2019-05-02 at 03:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

A cavern full of cursed rubies, who haunt anyone who remove them until they bring them back to the cavern.

21. - Top - End - #21

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post

A plain table; on the table is a clearly-labeled Deck of Many Things.
    To top it off it's a partial deck and almost all of the benign cards have been drawn!

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    Lou Zocchi once told me about a trap that might fit. There's a lit wall sconce with a sign next to it that says "Whoever touches the lamp dies". That's it.

Touch it? Dead.
    Poke it with a stick? Dead.
    Hit it with your sword? Dead.

There's no trick to it. There's nothing to figure out. It's not solvable. Just leave it alone because you die if you mess with it.

That stupid thing has a huge pile of corpses in front of it.
    Chisel it out from the wall, use telekinesis to throw it at your enemies.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Chisel it out from the wall, use telekinesis to throw it at your enemies.
    You die! See how effective it is?

24. - Top - End - #24

I pulled off a good one on my players. There was a camp of goblins who planted cursed swords in the ground outside the camp. The swords were glowy and screamed very loudly when removed from the earth. Perfect sentries for detecting greedy adventurers.
    Sometimes, I have strong opinions on seemingly inconsequential matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis21 View Post
    Phhase he played four
    He played nick nack on my door
    With a nick nack paddy whack
    Give a dog a bone
    Phhase came rolling home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruenox View Post
    You found a way to backstab... with a ballista...

I want to play at your table.
    Spoiler: How to have a Good Idea
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Buy a lava lamp, it more than doubles the rate of good ideas :p
    Better yet, buy this lava lamp.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Piranha pool
    Room marked ‘fungus garden’
    Rust monster pen
    Anything with instructions written in slaadi
    Lever marked ‘gravity inverter’
    Button marked ‘incinerator’ or ‘call janitor’
    Magic mouth that plays simon says
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

A free resurrection scroll in a pit of death. Be creative with what's in that pit of death.
    Last edited by Avista; 2019-05-03 at 04:55 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

A weapon thats looks like a shiny legendary version of whatever is the favorite weapon of the beholder, and of course its appearance is an illusion. whoever holds it is enchanted to become increasingly paranoid that other people want it and try to kill others to prevent them from taking it.

A sign saying "THERE ARE NO MIMICS HERE" it is completely true. next to it is a treasure chest.

Label all the safe passages in the dungeon "COMPLETELY SAFE" in red letters and only put in traps for the paths that aren't labeled as such. Again, its completely truthful and actually has an internal logic to it make sure the dungeons minions don't die because they live there, but adventurers being paranoid as they are...
    though if you want more plausibility to it, make sure you put it in a language that most wouldn't understand like goblin so that if you didn't know the language, the label would be useless, but give them checks to see if they translate it correctly. though if you really want to mess with heads, label them both differently and truthfully but give them checks to see if they translate them both correctly or not. with the red, it even messes up the usual logic of posting up a warning sign, because we're taught a certain logic of red meaning danger and signs as telling not to go places, so its a reversal of how we naturally think.

Make a statue that spews out an endless number of riddles for you to solve- but instead of opening a door, its at a dead end, and it doesn't do anything. its just for entertainment.

A statue that pulls out a magic item holds it out and says "here have this" while smiling. just straight up trying to give it to you. the magic item is cursed.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #28

A dragon, sleeping so soundly he's drooling out of his half-open maw, has a very valuable-looking gem-encrusted golden tooth near the back of said maw.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    A dragon, sleeping so soundly he's drooling out of his half-open maw, has a very valuable-looking gem-encrusted golden tooth near the back of said maw.
    Can you say "Coup-de-grace"? Gonna need some additional elements to make it true Shmuck Bait.

A bright, red, threatening button labeled "self destruct" in multiple languages.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Can you say "Coup-de-grace"? Gonna need some additional elements to make it true Shmuck Bait.

A bright, red, threatening button labeled "self destruct" in multiple languages.
    Good luck, good sir! Coup de Grace is not a guaranteed kill.